Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 20th, 2008, 09:45 AM   #21
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 20,647
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
chill. i changed the "need" to "want". the truck nutz thing was just a joke.
But in many cases, it is "need". My son in law runs his own landscaping/plow business. He NEEDS his truck daily. Half way through the winter when the gas prices started going up, he couldn't go back to his seaonal prepaid accounts and ask for more money. And then he gets impacted even more because he plowed about twice as much as any year in the past 10 years. So, he eats that cost too.

You've never seen me bitch about gas costs because I am fortunate enough that it doesn't impact me. But for many others, it greatly does.

Yes, there are those that "want" to tow something and I also think they have the right to bitch if it bites too hard. A guy saves for years and buys a vacant piece of land up north to camp on. He hauls a trailer up there every few weeks. Then the gas prices go up, his property value goes down & he would have to take a loss to sell it, and his overtime gets cut. His lifestyle is dram atically changed. Sure he has a right to be unhappy. For someone else to laugh at his misfortune is simply rude.

Truck nutz, leave stupid jokes to the pub.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 09:59 AM   #22
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,738
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
But in many cases, it is "need". My son in law runs his own landscaping/plow business. He NEEDS his truck daily. Half way through the winter when the gas prices started going up, he couldn't go back to his seaonal prepaid accounts and ask for more money. And then he gets impacted even more because he plowed about twice as much as any year in the past 10 years. So, he eats that cost too.

You've never seen me bitch about gas costs because I am fortunate enough that it doesn't impact me. But for many others, it greatly does.

Yes, there are those that "want" to tow something and I also think they have the right to bitch if it bites too hard. A guy saves for years and buys a vacant piece of land up north to camp on. He hauls a trailer up there every few weeks. Then the gas prices go up, his property value goes down & he would have to take a loss to sell it, and his overtime gets cut. His lifestyle is dram atically changed. Sure he has a right to be unhappy. For someone else to laugh at his misfortune is simply rude.

Truck nutz, leave stupid jokes to the pub.
Couldn't agree more.

I am that dumbass that drives a big truck ridiculous miles to work on a daily basis. I've done the math, getting a 30mpg car at $4 Saves me a measly $2000 a year. Is that worth the added hassle and expense of a commuter car yet? Thats for you to decide...

I need a truck for reasons justified only by me. We'll leave it at that.

I saved my money for toys that unfortunately use a lot of gas, I know I will not spend as much time on them this summer as years past.

Do I have a right to bitch?
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 10:05 AM   #23
jimhri
Senior Member
 
jimhri's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-17-07
Location: north of a bankrupt city
Posts: 3,249
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

yes you have a right to bitch.

anything government messes with gets messed up. government does not produce a product. it only produces expenses.
jimhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 10:05 AM   #24
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,757
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UP_ROKTOY View Post
Couldn't agree more.

I am that dumbass that drives a big truck ridiculous miles to work on a daily basis. I've done the math, getting a 30mpg car at $4 Saves me a measly $2000 a year. Is that worth the added hassle and expense of a commuter car yet? Thats for you to decide...

I need a truck for reasons justified only by me. We'll leave it at that.

I saved my money for toys that unfortunately use a lot of gas, I know I will not spend as much time on them this summer as years past.

Do I have a right to bitch?
2000$ is a measly amount of money to you? do whatever you want, i would rather daily drive a sporty fun 4 cyl car and get good mileage than a huge bulky truck.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 10:10 AM   #25
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 20,647
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
2000$ is a measly amount of money to you? do whatever you want, i would rather daily drive a sporty fun 4 cyl car and get good mileage than a huge bulky truck.
So you are saying it yourself...... to each his own. But should I laugh at you because your little 2wd car got stuck in the snow and you had to pay a tow truck to get you out and you got home late and weren't able to see your kids? Or should I say "sorry to hear about that, bummer"?

I laugh at you and I'm rude.
I sympathize with you and I'm compassionate.

I prefer to be compassionate about others. End of discussion for me.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 10:12 AM   #26
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,757
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
But in many cases, it is "need". My son in law runs his own landscaping/plow business. He NEEDS his truck daily. Half way through the winter when the gas prices started going up, he couldn't go back to his seaonal prepaid accounts and ask for more money. And then he gets impacted even more because he plowed about twice as much as any year in the past 10 years. So, he eats that cost too.
that is the cost of doing business, like someone said earlier, it also affects the price of goods. My family owns a hardware store, so the fuel prices affect all other prices because of shipping. not complaining about it, though. Maybe we should start expanding into alternative fuels.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 10:14 AM   #27
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,757
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
So you are saying it yourself...... to each his own. But should I laugh at you because your little 2wd car got stuck in the snow and you had to pay a tow truck to get you out and you got home late and weren't able to see your kids? Or should I say "sorry to hear about that, bummer"?

I laugh at you and I'm rude.
I sympathize with you and I'm compassionate.

I prefer to be compassionate about others. End of discussion for me.
nope, I drive my sammy, when the weather is bad.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 10:16 AM   #28
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,738
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
2000$ is a measly amount of money to you? do whatever you want, i would rather daily drive a sporty fun 4 cyl car and get good mileage than a huge bulky truck.

So is it about personal preferences or about saving fuel?

You said it right there that you would rather drive a fun 4 cylinder car then a fullsize truck. Never did you say the cost of operation was a concern.

I personally would love to go back to the days of being able to afford a daily driver rolling around on 38" tires with loud exhaust and trucker girls for mudflaps.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 10:20 AM   #29
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,757
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UP_ROKTOY View Post
So is it about personal preferences or about saving fuel?

You said it right there that you would rather drive a fun 4 cylinder car then a fullsize truck. Never did you say the cost of operation was a concern.

I personally would love to go back to the days of being able to afford a daily driver rolling around on 38" tires with loud exhaust and trucker girls for mudflaps.
"I would rather daily drive a sporty fun 4 cyl car and get good mileage than a huge bulky truck."

plus your argument is void since you were the one who was trying to lowball me on my Neon. :tonka:


found a good article stating a great point:

"Steer clear of sweet talk by inappropriate cars
Just make sure that the car that speaks to you in the showroom really makes sense for your family. It's best to car shop based on the majority of your driving needs, not your occasional ones.

Do you really need to buy a full-sized pickup truck for twice-a-year trips to Home Depot? Does that monster sports utility vehicle you bought for your occasional ski vacation make sense for your around-town driving?

You could spare yourself countless trips to the gas station by buying a fuel-efficient vehicle for your day-to-day driving needs and renting a larger vehicle for special occasions.

"Go rent a Suburban or something," Cogan says. "Buy what you need most of the time."

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/aut...fficient/1.asp

Last edited by mikesova; March 20th, 2008 at 10:50 AM.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 10:33 AM   #30
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 20,647
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
that is the cost of doing business, like someone said earlier, it also affects the price of goods. My family owns a hardware store, so the fuel prices affect all other prices because of shipping. not complaining about it, though. Maybe we should start expanding into alternative fuels.
Sure it's the cost of doing business. But, you set your prices based upon your costs. If your costs go up and your prices stay fixed, sooner or later it is an impact. With owning a hardware store, if your costs go up, you have the latitude to raise your prices. I am talking about circumstances where the costs go up and the income is fixed.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 10:54 AM   #31
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,738
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
"I would rather daily drive a sporty fun 4 cyl car and get good mileage than a huge bulky truck."

plus your argument is void since you were the one who was trying to lowball me on my Neon. :tonka:
There is a difference between lowballing and offering what something is worth to me.

You still bitter I made you an offer?

When you have an opinion that you are not going to dance around and find an excuse to always be right on let me know. Until then you can have your discussion back, I can see you are having a good time arguing with whiterhino and how you are right in his situation too.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 11:04 AM   #32
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,757
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

what am I "right" about? I say do what you want...I was just agreeing with bruce that it's funny that people daily drive huge trucks and complain about gas prices.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 11:09 AM   #33
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,738
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Default

Is it funny when people daily drive small cars and bitch about the snow? the car being totalled in a slight accident? Or the rims that got damaged hitting a pothole?

The point is it doesn't matter, there is no one best mode of transportation and everyone drives what they drive for a reason. So if I want to bitch about fuel I can. If you want to bitch about your bright yellow seats causing a glare you can, you can of course also bitch about the potholes and stuff too...
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 11:14 AM   #34
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,757
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UP_ROKTOY View Post
Is it funny when people daily drive small cars and bitch about the snow? the car being totalled in a slight accident? Or the rims that got damaged hitting a pothole?

The point is it doesn't matter, there is no one best mode of transportation and everyone drives what they drive for a reason. So if I want to bitch about fuel I can. If you want to bitch about your bright yellow seats causing a glare you can, you can of course also bitch about the potholes and stuff too...
pfff. my seats aren't yellow.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 11:20 AM   #35
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,738
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Default

Have fun with your flat tires, remember, everytime I roll by you watching you change your flat I will laugh, just like you laugh when I show up on time, rode in comfort, and paid a measly 2,000 more for the YEAR to drive over 30,000 miles.

Not so horribly inconvenient is it?

Laugh away.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 11:27 AM   #36
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,757
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UP_ROKTOY View Post
Have fun with your flat tires, remember, everytime I roll by you watching you change your flat I will laugh, just like you laugh when I show up on time, rode in comfort, and paid a measly 2,000 more for the YEAR to drive over 30,000 miles.

Not so horribly inconvenient is it?

Laugh away.
that's your right mang! although, the 18"s weren't really my thing, i've swapped them out for normal tires. potholes no longer scare me...
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #37
Chiefwoohaw
Pokerob is my B*tch!
 
Chiefwoohaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,505
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Anyone want to chip in to get Sova and UpRocktoy a room :tonka:
Chiefwoohaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #38
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,757
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

hey my shennanigans are cheeky and fun, his are cruel and tragic! ;)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 12:17 PM   #39
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,738
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Default

Yes I am very cruel and have caused nothing but harm to all members I have met/made fun of/ responded to in posts/etc/

In fact I think I am responsible for at least 3 or 4 suicides
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 06:42 PM   #40
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,376
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
Why? Because they may need to tow something and can't afford two separate vehicles?
"Need", or "want"? Very few people who are driving big trucks "need" them, most do it because they "want" them. Sure, it sucks if doing what you enjoy requires driving a large vehicle and you can't afford 2, but thats your choice, not a "need".

BTW I just bought a full sized van for a tow rig and have been driving it daily on my 60-70 mile round trip to work and back. That was my choice, and it does no good to sit around bitching about gas prices. But if others like to bitch about them thats their right, just as it's my right to laugh at them.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.25076 seconds with 50 queries