Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 16th, 2008, 12:40 PM   #81
High Center Hancho
rack tap re-rack click
 
High Center Hancho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: Genesee County
Posts: 12,718
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

people that fly the confederate flag are morons...as much as you would like to say its about heritage, the truth is it's not...take it for what it's worth...fuck it I'm of German heritage think it would be okay for me to fly the nazi flag? I mean I had family who fought with the nazi's and the American's too, so I should be able to fly both right...to honor them, right...To honor a fallen solider is one thing, but to flag a symbol of HATE and say it's about heritage is another...but hey you live in a dream world who am I to change it...
High Center Hancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 12:48 PM   #82
chevyman350
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 01-20-08
Location: waterford MI
Posts: 274
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

dude if ya wanna honer them then fly the damn flag. heritage is a big part of it just alot of morons use the flag as a i hate n iggers symbol. i also dont really get where its all bout hate? dont be retarded man. the confederate flag is there its here to stay obviously it stands for the south pretty much. if you dont like it go tell lynard skynard or alabama theyl show yer ass out of town lol
chevyman350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 02:13 PM   #83
johnpw
Member
 
johnpw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-13-08
Location: indiana
Posts: 48
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman350 View Post
dude if ya wanna honer them then fly the damn flag. heritage is a big part of it just alot of morons use the flag as a i hate n iggers symbol. i also dont really get where its all bout hate? dont be retarded man. the confederate flag is there its here to stay obviously it stands for the south pretty much. if you dont like it go tell lynard skynard or alabama theyl show yer ass out of town lol
lol
johnpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #84
K&J's Dad
Senior Member
 
K&J's Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-11-07
Location: Roseville, Michigan
Posts: 227
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman350 View Post
dude if ya wanna honer them then fly the damn flag. heritage is a big part of it just alot of morons use the flag as a i hate n iggers symbol. i also dont really get where its all bout hate? dont be retarded man. the confederate flag is there its here to stay obviously it stands for the south pretty much. if you dont like it go tell lynard skynard or alabama theyl show yer ass out of town lol
Every time you type and misspell every other word, you show that what I said is true.
K&J's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 02:59 PM   #85
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,745
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Default

johnpw=12
a.j. hall=12
chevyman350=12

3 ignorant responders to the thread at hand.

duffman=adult
Hancho=adult
4xtrailfanatic=adult.

3 non ignorant responders to the thread with different views as to why they feel its appropriate or not appropriate.

Unfortunately the majority of the responders who felt it was ok to fly the flag represent about 90-95% of the dumb redneck ignorant and intolerant idiots who fly it. Making the 5% who fly it for legitamate reasons look like dumb ignorant rednecks
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #86
johnpw
Member
 
johnpw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-13-08
Location: indiana
Posts: 48
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UP_ROKTOY View Post
johnpw=12
a.j. hall=12
chevyman350=12

3 ignorant responders to the thread at hand.

duffman=adult
Hancho=adult
4xtrailfanatic=adult.

3 non ignorant responders to the thread with different views as to why they feel its appropriate or not appropriate.

Unfortunately the majority of the responders who felt it was ok to fly the flag represent about 90-95% of the dumb redneck ignorant and intolerant idiots who fly it. Making the 5% who fly it for legitamate reasons look like dumb ignorant rednecks
johnpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 03:15 PM   #87
chevyman350
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 01-20-08
Location: waterford MI
Posts: 274
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Some folks see the confederate flag as a symbol of the belief that black folks are worth less than white folks. Fortunately, this view of the flag is in the minority. Unfortunately the folks that see it representing this are very noisy ( Whether they are from the KKK side, or NAACP side).

Others see it a symbol or rebellion. Bikers, truckers, and drug gangs see and use it this way (Yeah, I'm over generalizing). Oddly enough this group takes very little trouble from either of the other sides Maybe they don't care. Maybe nobody wants to mess with them.

Others, like I and most southerners, look at the confederate battle flag and think fondly of the outnumbered "grey's" whipping the "blue's", of the right of the people form their own government, of courage in the face of privation, of chivalry, of skill, and of daring.

One of Scotland's unofficial nationals anthem begins:

O Flower of Scotland,
When will we see
Your like again,
That fought and died for,
Your wee bit Hill and Glen,
And stood against him,
Proud Edward's Army,
And sent him homeward,
Tae think again.
Scotland is now a part of EnglandBritain, but many scots are proud of being scottish. It's the same thing with Southerners. We are American's now (and proud of it too), and we are also proud of have "whupped" the yankees on numerous occasions against ugly odds. Just mention Lee, Jackson, Stuart, or Forrest, and a southerner's face will light up, just like a "true Scot's" face would light up at the mention of Wallace or Bruce.

Next time you hear a "debate" on the flying of the southern flag, remember that for all practical purposes the sides could be arguing about totally different flags, because to different people, the flag represent very different concepts.

It's true, some confederate leaders were total racists. (By the same token, so were many Yankees. That does not excuses the southern ones, of course.) There are bad things in almost every nations history. Learn from and avoid the bad; be proud of and repeat the good.

We don't hide the US flag because of what happened to the indians. We say, "that was stupid of us, won't do that again", move on, and hang the Stars and Stripes out on the front porch in honor of our freedom and in memory of those that died to keep it for us. So it is with most of the people flying confederate flag.

(Though my parents with from the "North", and I have one or two soldiers in blue in my ancestry, I was born in the south, raised in the south, and live in the south. Therefore I am southern. These are southern opinions and I can't vouch for the opinions of "Yankee's". Any Yankees around? Let me know what people in your area think)
chevyman350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #88
johnpw
Member
 
johnpw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-13-08
Location: indiana
Posts: 48
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman350 View Post
Some folks see the confederate flag as a symbol of the belief that black folks are worth less than white folks. Fortunately, this view of the flag is in the minority. Unfortunately the folks that see it representing this are very noisy ( Whether they are from the KKK side, or NAACP side).

Others see it a symbol or rebellion. Bikers, truckers, and drug gangs see and use it this way (Yeah, I'm over generalizing). Oddly enough this group takes very little trouble from either of the other sides Maybe they don't care. Maybe nobody wants to mess with them.

Others, like I and most southerners, look at the confederate battle flag and think fondly of the outnumbered "grey's" whipping the "blue's", of the right of the people form their own government, of courage in the face of privation, of chivalry, of skill, and of daring.

One of Scotland's unofficial nationals anthem begins:

O Flower of Scotland,
When will we see
Your like again,
That fought and died for,
Your wee bit Hill and Glen,
And stood against him,
Proud Edward's Army,
And sent him homeward,
Tae think again.
Scotland is now a part of EnglandBritain, but many scots are proud of being scottish. It's the same thing with Southerners. We are American's now (and proud of it too), and we are also proud of have "whupped" the yankees on numerous occasions against ugly odds. Just mention Lee, Jackson, Stuart, or Forrest, and a southerner's face will light up, just like a "true Scot's" face would light up at the mention of Wallace or Bruce.

Next time you hear a "debate" on the flying of the southern flag, remember that for all practical purposes the sides could be arguing about totally different flags, because to different people, the flag represent very different concepts.

It's true, some confederate leaders were total racists. (By the same token, so were many Yankees. That does not excuses the southern ones, of course.) There are bad things in almost every nations history. Learn from and avoid the bad; be proud of and repeat the good.

We don't hide the US flag because of what happened to the indians. We say, "that was stupid of us, won't do that again", move on, and hang the Stars and Stripes out on the front porch in honor of our freedom and in memory of those that died to keep it for us. So it is with most of the people flying confederate flag.

(Though my parents with from the "North", and I have one or two soldiers in blue in my ancestry, I was born in the south, raised in the south, and live in the south. Therefore I am southern. These are southern opinions and I can't vouch for the opinions of "Yankee's". Any Yankees around? Let me know what people in your area think)
johnpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 03:49 PM   #89
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,376
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman350 View Post
...
Others, like I and most southerners, look at the confederate battle flag and think fondly of the outnumbered "grey's" whipping the "blue's", of the right of the people form their own government, of courage in the face of privation, of chivalry, of skill, and of daring.

...

It's the same thing with Southerners. We are American's now (and proud of it too), and we are also proud of have "whupped" the yankees on numerous occasions against ugly odds. Just mention Lee, Jackson, Stuart, or Forrest, and a southerner's face will light up, just like a "true Scot's" face would light up at the mention of Wallace or Bruce.

...
Yes, the south won some battles... but they lost the war, get over it.

As far as being a "Yankee" or a "Southerner" with respect to the Civil War I would have to say neither for reasons explained in my previous post.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 03:57 PM   #90
chevyman350
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 01-20-08
Location: waterford MI
Posts: 274
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

im not southern i found that article lol but i still stand by my right to be free so if i wanna fly the flag ill fly it the first amendment says so that i can haha
chevyman350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 04:41 PM   #91
DuffMan
Your Message Here
 
DuffMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: The Ile of Grosse
Posts: 5,836
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

The comparison with the Scots is a good one - more a regional pride thing than a wish to return to the days of yore.

Bruce - Germans do it too. Bavarians are the "southrons" of Germany.

And yes, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, the proper term is "southron", not "southern" - another one of them uneducated redneck holdouts...
__________________
This is the Pub. Leave common sense at the door.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 06:08 PM   #92
johnpw
Member
 
johnpw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-13-08
Location: indiana
Posts: 48
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
The comparison with the Scots is a good one - more a regional pride thing than a wish to return to the days of yore.

Bruce - Germans do it too. Bavarians are the "southrons" of Germany.

And yes, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, the proper term is "southron", not "southern" - another one of them uneducated redneck holdouts...
:tonka:
johnpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 07:06 PM   #93
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,376
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
And yes, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, the proper term is "southron", not "southern" - another one of them uneducated redneck holdouts...
My spell checker disagrees. :miff:
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 07:14 PM   #94
Blackbeast2
Hardcore since 84
 
Join Date: 01-21-06
Location: Delaware when not traveling.
Posts: 1,527
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Im from the south also and proudly display 2 of them on my jeep.
Blackbeast2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 07:31 PM   #95
johnpw
Member
 
johnpw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-13-08
Location: indiana
Posts: 48
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeast2 View Post
Im from the south also and proudly display 2 of them on my jeep.
got me a flag tire cover for my jeep
johnpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 07:46 PM   #96
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,376
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Bruce - Germans do it too. Bavarians are the "southrons" of Germany.
Cool, some of my ancestors came from Bavaria. I need to find one of these flags...




Kinda cool looking too.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 08:00 PM   #97
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,745
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman350 View Post
im not southern i found that article lol but i still stand by my right to be free so if i wanna fly the flag ill fly it the first amendment says so that i can haha
Really you aren't southern?

And you didn't write that article? Gee what a surprise.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 08:01 PM   #98
badazzamc
Get Some
 
badazzamc's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Swartz Creek Mi
Posts: 4,215
iTrader: (24)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I think it honors all of the confederate soldiers. I think there are two many people out there that think its a racist thing. In my eyes its not racist at all.
badazzamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 08:27 PM   #99
DuffMan
Your Message Here
 
DuffMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: The Ile of Grosse
Posts: 5,836
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
My spell checker disagrees.
That's because your spell checker has been brainwashed by the Yankee Webster's spelling instead of the proper Oxford version. It's a conspiracy I tell you.
__________________
This is the Pub. Leave common sense at the door.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 09:05 PM   #100
johnpw
Member
 
johnpw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-13-08
Location: indiana
Posts: 48
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by badazzamc View Post
I think it honors all of the confederate soldiers. I think there are two many people out there that think its a racist thing. In my eyes its not racist at all.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
That's because your spell checker has been brainwashed by the Yankee Webster's spelling instead of the proper Oxford version. It's a conspiracy I tell you.
johnpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.29601 seconds with 50 queries