Confederate Flag - Page 3 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 15th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #41
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,483
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpw View Post
nope buddy the war was over Southern Independence, over 65,000 blacks fought for the Confederacy and over 200,000 in the Souther were freed during the war
And 180,000 blacks fought for the Union, and all were freed. While the war wasn't strictly about slavery it was one of the central issues of the war.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old March 15th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #42
4x Fanatic
Guiness Test Pilot
 
4x Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 3,185
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I fly mine because I honor the rebel spirit (not slavery) and it helps me feel free of the conformist systematic company man I have become all week long. I am of southern roots and I am proud of my family members that fought for the south. The confederates had long odds against them and put up one hell of a fight through sheer determination. I am not proud of slavery but it is a part of my heritage and I refuse to be embarrassed about that. Just my reason. Anyone that would ever rip it from my Jeep WILL be introduced to my Sigma.

Last edited by 4x Fanatic; March 15th, 2008 at 10:07 PM.
4x Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 12:22 PM   #43
dodger889
Senior Member
 
dodger889's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-12-08
Location: north of ann arbor, mi
Posts: 1,109
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Well after reading all of this many have been missing the whole thing about the confederate flag. First of all history has been rewritten a few time since the civil war. People have seen the confederate flag to be has they have seen on TV and what it has been shown by the TV stories and shows. So this is a time that we has a nation need to understand that what has been shown to us and what is benign taught in schools now day is not what the truth is.. If we where to go back in time that the confederate flag was flying and what it stood for then we all would have been proud to stand and salute it now days just has we stand to salute the stars and stripes of today. Some might not know this but the union had it's own flag not the stars and stripe that we think we know flying over their camps ( WOW ) but we never hear about that nor do we see it shown today >>>>....Has far has the slave issues go there where many that owned white slave has black slave from white owners and black owners...(WOW) the whites where not called slaves has such but lived in a poorer environment than most of the slaves did they where call sharecroppers (or white slaves because they had to pay the land owner first then what little was left was theirs from food to goods) It's just how you look at what was going on . So the confederate flag has a great history in it and heritage behind it. If this offens someone I will say I'm sorry that you have not let the past go and do not blame me for your ancestry background cloud your thinking. And the most thing that I feel bad about is reliving the civil war today is that most of the people lost family on both sides and never understood why they are gone…..I neither hate or like a person because of the color of their sink but the person inside of that skin ..... hI hope this gets many of you to think for yourseleves and not what other try to get you to think ( find your own truth not someone eles)

Last edited by dodger889; March 15th, 2008 at 12:24 PM. Reason: miss spelling
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 12:36 PM   #44
guest
.
 
Join Date: 12-14-06
Location: .
Posts: 3,835
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to guest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UP_ROKTOY View Post
and the idiots are coming out.....didn't take long for the people that fly it for ignorant reasons to come out and prove Scooters point.
im not a idoit. I am not racist. I fly it for my reasons. Just like you bitch and act like a d-bag on this site for your own reasons.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 01:44 PM   #45
johnpw
Member
 
johnpw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-13-08
Location: indiana
Posts: 48
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

ok everybody chill now chill, now some of you people need to learn your history while others seem to know what the confederate flag stands for. ok, now the confederate flag means heritage and all that, not hate or slavery. and people who sayin the war was fought over slavery are very wrong, watch this vid its prutty cool. i hope i can post it i will try.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l45xK_pYIYs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l45xK_pYIYs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
johnpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 01:46 PM   #46
johnpw
Member
 
johnpw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-13-08
Location: indiana
Posts: 48
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

didn't work heres the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l45xK_pYIYs
johnpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 02:14 PM   #47
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,788
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpw View Post
ok everybody chill now chill, now some of you people need to learn your history while others seem to know what the confederate flag stands for. ok, now the confederate flag means heritage and all that, not hate or slavery. and people who sayin the war was fought over slavery are very wrong, watch this vid its prutty cool. i hope i can post it i will try.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l45xK_pYIYs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l45xK_pYIYs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
sure the civil war was fought for many reasons, but you can't tell me that slavery wasn't a key issue.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #48
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,483
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpw View Post
and people who sayin the war was fought over slavery are very wrong, watch this vid its prutty cool. i hope i can post it i will try.
The simple fact that those people in the video are quoted talking about slavery shows that slavery WAS a central issue in the Civil War.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 05:21 PM   #49
johnpw
Member
 
johnpw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-13-08
Location: indiana
Posts: 48
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

well all i know is the war was fought for southern independence
johnpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 05:28 PM   #50
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x Fanatic View Post
I fly mine because I honor the rebel spirit (not slavery) and it helps feel free of the conformist systematic company man I have become all week long. I am of southern roots and I am proud of my family members that fought for the south. The confederates had long odds against them and put up one hell of a fight through sheer determination. I am not proud of slavery but it is a part of my heritage and I refuse to be embarrassed about that. Just my reason. Anyone that would ever rip it from my Jeep WILL be introduced to my Sigma.
x2
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 05:30 PM   #51
DuffMan
Your Message Here
 
DuffMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: The Ile of Grosse
Posts: 5,837
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

When the War of Northern Aggression started, it was purely about secession. The C.S.A. seceded because an increasingly populated, urban, and industrialized north was pushing an agenda that was marginalizing the needs of the predominantly agricultural south.

There was no draft - it was a volunteer army and recruiting was dwindling after the first two years of getting outfought by the C.S.A. Many recruits were unfamiliar with firearms and tales of being outfought and outfoxed by a smaller C.S.A. army of outdoorsmen who could shoot, hunt, and knew woodscraft was further cutting into recruiting. Lincoln introduced slavery as an issue to stimulate recruiting (it was a prominent issue at the time) and started promoting that as the central cause of the war (a little 19th century spin control and repackaging).

A little-known factoid is that the National Rifle Association was founded after the war to provide young men with basic firearms training and proficiency, to avoid the sorts of issues that arose during the war (i.e. new troops arriving at the battlefield having not yet touched a rifle - they trained with sticks). It was founded as a humanitarian agency...
__________________
This is the Pub. Leave common sense at the door.

Last edited by DuffMan; March 15th, 2008 at 05:33 PM.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 08:34 PM   #52
johnpw
Member
 
johnpw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-13-08
Location: indiana
Posts: 48
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
When the War of Northern Aggression started, it was purely about secession. The C.S.A. seceded because an increasingly populated, urban, and industrialized north was pushing an agenda that was marginalizing the needs of the predominantly agricultural south.

There was no draft - it was a volunteer army and recruiting was dwindling after the first two years of getting outfought by the C.S.A. Many recruits were unfamiliar with firearms and tales of being outfought and outfoxed by a smaller C.S.A. army of outdoorsmen who could shoot, hunt, and knew woodscraft was further cutting into recruiting. Lincoln introduced slavery as an issue to stimulate recruiting (it was a prominent issue at the time) and started promoting that as the central cause of the war (a little 19th century spin control and repackaging).

A little-known factoid is that the National Rifle Association was founded after the war to provide young men with basic firearms training and proficiency, to avoid the sorts of issues that arose during the war (i.e. new troops arriving at the battlefield having not yet touched a rifle - they trained with sticks). It was founded as a humanitarian agency...
everybody listen to this guy he knows his facts, although he may not be redneck, he does know his facts
johnpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 08:47 PM   #53
Nuggets
I fix stuff!
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,432
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

It does seem that people that fly confederate flags around are "different". I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing, just an observation. I don't do the whole "flag off the back of the truck" thing because it's already been done. It was cool when Big Foot did it but now it's over. When I go off roading it's about the challenge of getting through, over, or around obsticals, not about the fashion show associated with owning a truck.
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #54
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,123
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~(__^> View Post
im not a idoit. I am not racist. I fly it for my reasons. Just like you bitch and act like a d-bag on this site for your own reasons.
you have a lot of nerve.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 08:56 PM   #55
guest
.
 
Join Date: 12-14-06
Location: .
Posts: 3,835
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to guest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UP_ROKTOY View Post
you have a lot of nerve.
lol just playin buddy
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 09:02 PM   #56
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,123
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~(__^> View Post
lol just playin buddy
shut your fucking mouth and go drink bleach.

You make the people that choose to fly the confederate flag for legitimate reasons look like douchebags because you are a fucking idiot.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 09:49 PM   #57
clarkstoncracker
lol
 
clarkstoncracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Location: OC - MI
Posts: 42,539
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to clarkstoncracker
Default

I think its funny that the way we see the confederate flag now never actually existed in that design until after the war. The mississippi flag is the closest to the actual flag that was used by the south before and during the war.
__________________
clarkstoncracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 10:01 PM   #58
masterbeatty
Senior Member
 
masterbeatty's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-04-08
Location: my house
Posts: 4,172
iTrader: (17)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

i used to fly the flag. i still have it but to many times i has stuff written on my truck, or people try and run into me. people are idiots, yes the people who are racist fly the flag for the wrong reason, but there are enough people me included who fly it for southern pride. i get enough crap from school about me being a racist cause i have confederate flag belt buckle. im tired of this racism crap, its gettin outa hand.
masterbeatty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 11:01 PM   #59
johnpw
Member
 
johnpw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-13-08
Location: indiana
Posts: 48
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 one ton View Post
i used to fly the flag. i still have it but to many times i has stuff written on my truck, or people try and run into me. people are idiots, yes the people who are racist fly the flag for the wrong reason, but there are enough people me included who fly it for southern pride. i get enough crap from school about me being a racist cause i have confederate flag belt buckle. im tired of this racism crap, its gettin outa hand.
yup i agree
johnpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 11:02 PM   #60
johnpw
Member
 
johnpw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-13-08
Location: indiana
Posts: 48
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UP_ROKTOY View Post
shut your fucking mouth and go drink bleach.

You make the people that choose to fly the confederate flag for legitimate reasons look like douchebags because you are a fucking idiot.
chill out iight, respect our flag
johnpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.31662 seconds with 80 queries