Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

What are my options?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  djmacc 
#1 ·
I just installed a 78 Ford D60 axle under my 82 jeep J10. It's setup with a SOA and 6 in spring lift. This gives me a 35 in long front driveshaft and 29 degree angle with a 2 degree up angle on Tcase. Put all that together and you have 2 binding ujoints when engaged. No problem because I was reading on Pirate that there is a joint that can go as far as 41 degrees. So I call to order the joint and it turns out that the ujoint at the diff is a size and type that they do not make. So here is what I think my options are:

1. Cut my perches, knuckle welds and rotate the diff and point it at the Tcase then reset the knuckles to the proper caster.
Don't really want to do this as I am not much of a welder.

2. Change the yoke on the diff and driveshaft to a size that the Chris Woods 41 degree ujoint is made.

Any other ideas? I open to whatever. I need to drive my rig to the trail but I don't need to operate in 4 wheel drive at freeway speeds. I also have a couple of other questions:

1. What is the maximum angle a double cardan can operate?

2. Can a double cardan be attached at either end of the drive line? (diff or Tcase)

82 J10 SOA 6" SPRINGS D60-D70 W/DETROIT LOCKERS 38x15.5 TSL'S on 12" M/T classics 460 V-8 C-6 Custom EFIS EFI AND HYDROBOOST

See less See more
#2 ·
I've never seen a double-cardan (CV) joint at the diff end of either a front or rear driveshaft. They're always at the t-case end of the shafts.

Were it me, I'd get a CV joint installed on the t-case end of the front driveshaft, and then rotate the front axle a little so it points more toward the t-case output. You can do this with wedges, but you gotta be careful to watch your caster. If it screws up the caster too much, then you have no choice but to cut the knuckles off and re-weld them on, along with new spring perches. A lot of work, and that stuff is best done by a professional welder.

Just asking, but why do you have so much lift? I'm guessing that with the SOA and the 6-inch springs, you're got in the neighborhood of 11 inches of lift. What size tires are you running?

If you need that much lift to clear the large tires, you might be better off using a lesser amount of lift and then installing a body lift and cutting your wheelwell openings for additional clearance. Maybe some Bushmaster cut-out flares? The advantage of doing it that way is a lower center of gravity and the vehicle is less tippy.

#3 ·
Part of the reason for the lift is economics. I went SOA and I already had 6" springs on it and did not want to fork out the cash for another set. I am running 38x15.5 TSL's and there is really not alot of room to spare even with this much lift. I did not go with cutting the fenders and a body lift because my J10 still has a the stock fender flares and I want to maintain the stock look. Maybe I can split the difference up front by installing wedges and see how it steers or in the end I just might have to do it the hardway and cut off the knuckles.

#5 ·
With a 78 axle being a hp you should have decent angle if you use some wedges under yoiu springs. Unless you are skilled welder and really know what you are doing i dont recomend cutting and rotating you knuckels. If you have to have someone help that has done it before. Try the wedges and see where that gets you. I have seen one person use a CV joint at the front axle, i dont know if it was on purpose but it seemed to work and it was on a 78 f-150 with a 44 in the front. Try it and see, if it works it works.

Best Car & Motorcycle Insurance | Auto/Moto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

#6 ·
I think I have some good news. It turns out that the hi angle ujoint that will work will fit my diff side of my drive shaft. I stopped in at extreme 4x4 and Jason said he could hook me up with a hi-angle cv joint on the tcase side so I think I got a plan. Thanks for all the advise guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.