Brake controllers - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Tow rigs and trailers
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old August 11th, 2008, 07:47 AM   #1
Skooter_Built
Fuck talk, Duck walk!
 
Skooter_Built's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Whitelake, MI
Posts: 14,495
iTrader: (26)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Default Brake controllers

I need to get one for my truck, but im confused as to which one i should get. My truck came with a towing package so it has an underdash plug. Ive been looking at Tekonsha's; the P3 and Prodigy but what other options do i have?
__________________
I'm the man in White.

If you want peace, prepare for war!

Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting.
Skooter_Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old August 11th, 2008, 08:49 AM   #2
Jesse-James
Midwest Mudslinger
 
Jesse-James's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-21-08
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,074
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I have yet to find someone with a prodigy that regrets buying it. I love using mine.
Jesse-James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 08:52 AM   #3
CreativeFab
used to be Ironman
 
CreativeFab's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-01-05
Location: midland
Posts: 3,214
iTrader: (35)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

here are some options that I sell, get ahold of me for your low price
I personally use the Draw Tite Activator II on all three of my tow vehicles and I love it.
http://www.rigidhitch.com/Default.as...E+CONTROLS*0@@
CreativeFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #4
PurpleRhino
Senior Member
 
PurpleRhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Location: Mt Pleasant, MI
Posts: 431
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Best to stick to the experts in Brake Controllers Tekonsha. Tekonsha Prodigy is the best, but I have a Tekonsha Voyager that is in it's 5th truck and never had a problem in over 12 years. Also made in Michigan. Give me a yell and I'll give you a heck of a deal on either.
PurpleRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 09:23 AM   #5
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 21,277
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse-James View Post
I have yet to find someone with a prodigy that regrets buying it. I love using mine.
I hated mine. I ended up going to Tellico with no brakes on my 24ft enclosed trailer. Talk about fun in the mountains. The prodigy was new so "there couldn't be anything wrong with it". I rewired the entire motorhome and trailer while down there including new plugs on both. No change. Bought a $50 name brand from autozone and it worked perfect.

IMO prodigy's are over rated.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 09:30 AM   #6
95geo
newbie
 
95geo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: dryden
Posts: 5,775
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
I hated mine. I ended up going to Tellico with no brakes on my 24ft enclosed trailer. Talk about fun in the mountains. The prodigy was new so "there couldn't be anything wrong with it". I rewired the entire motorhome and trailer while down there including new plugs on both. No change. Bought a $50 name brand from autozone and it worked perfect.

IMO prodigy's are over rated.
]

I agree that prodigy's are over rated but I also think you discredit things too easily.

I have a prodigy and so does my dad, they both work great and they are made in michigan.
95geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 09:43 AM   #7
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 21,277
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95geo View Post
]

I agree that prodigy's are over rated but I also think you discredit things too easily.

I have a prodigy and so does my dad, they both work great and they are made in michigan.
I actually bought my prodigy based on your dad's recommendation. It worked ok at first but started acting up after a few months. Then it quit when I needed it the most........ in the mountains. The problem was that I would lose my brakes intermittently, a perfect symptom of a bad plug or bad wiring. Right before the trip I put all new brakes on the trailer and wired it complete other than the plug itself. Since the reputation for the prodigy was so great, I was sure that it had to be faulty wiring or the plugs. So, in the middle of hot friggin July in Tenessee, I spent an entire morning rewiring the motorhome and plugs. Seemed to work....... great! Then we headed further south to Tellico and they went out again. The only thing left was the controller which I described before. I pulled that controller out of the old motorhome and put it in the new one & have never had a problem.

So, IMO, I didn't discredit it "easily". It was the very last thing I changed due to it's reputation. Would I buy another one? I can't justify it.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 12:44 PM   #8
95geo
newbie
 
95geo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: dryden
Posts: 5,775
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
I actually bought my prodigy based on your dad's recommendation. It worked ok at first but started acting up after a few months. Then it quit when I needed it the most........ in the mountains. The problem was that I would lose my brakes intermittently, a perfect symptom of a bad plug or bad wiring. Right before the trip I put all new brakes on the trailer and wired it complete other than the plug itself. Since the reputation for the prodigy was so great, I was sure that it had to be faulty wiring or the plugs. So, in the middle of hot friggin July in Tenessee, I spent an entire morning rewiring the motorhome and plugs. Seemed to work....... great! Then we headed further south to Tellico and they went out again. The only thing left was the controller which I described before. I pulled that controller out of the old motorhome and put it in the new one & have never had a problem.

So, IMO, I didn't discredit it "easily". It was the very last thing I changed due to it's reputation. Would I buy another one? I can't justify it.
did you call tekonsha and explain the situation to them? I dont see why they would leave you hanging.... why not call them up and arrange to get a properly working unit?

I do agree that there is no reason why it is as hyped up as it is, looking back, I'm not sure what I would get... either something cheap and fuctional or the newest tekonsha unit that has every option you could think of.
95geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 12:48 PM   #9
Plato2k5
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
 
Plato2k5's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-25-05
Location: WMU Kzoo Mi / Livonia, MI
Posts: 5,429
iTrader: (17)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Plato2k5
Default

I bought mine while i worked at Advance Auto... its a resse I think. It has digital readout. It has progression braking as well. Also a button on the side where you can test the brakes, or hold the button to slow you down while coming up to a turn.
Plato2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 01:24 PM   #10
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 21,277
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95geo View Post
did you call tekonsha and explain the situation to them? I dont see why they would leave you hanging.... why not call them up and arrange to get a properly working unit?

I do agree that there is no reason why it is as hyped up as it is, looking back, I'm not sure what I would get... either something cheap and fuctional or the newest tekonsha unit that has every option you could think of.
No, I was on vacation at the time & just happy to have the problem behind me. I think it's still in the garage somewhere.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 02:49 PM   #11
88yj
collecting parts
 
88yj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-09-06
Location: Monroe, Mi
Posts: 1,292
iTrader: (26)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 88yj
Default

I like Tekonsha. I wouldn't use anything else with my trailer.
88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 05:07 PM   #12
Brods
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 01-21-07
Location: Salem, Mi
Posts: 704
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Iíve had the Jordan ultima 2020 for a few years and like it a lot. It was the cheapest way to get a controller that works directly with the vehicle brakes. The Jordan uses cable to the brake pedal and works in proportion to how far the brake pedal is pushed down. There are others out there, such as the Brakesmart, which also activate directly from the vehicle brakes.
Brods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 08:53 PM   #13
Mclovin
"The Situation"
 
Mclovin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Westland, Mi
Posts: 14,393
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Mclovin Send a message via Yahoo to Mclovin
Default

Prodigy P3 nuff said
Mclovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 08:45 AM   #14
Monkeyevil
I <3 Miatas
 
Monkeyevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 8,987
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Monkeyevil
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95geo View Post
I do agree that there is no reason why it is as hyped up as it is, looking back, I'm not sure what I would get... either something cheap and fuctional or the newest tekonsha unit that has every option you could think of.
People hype them because it's a good mix of a standard off-on and progressive (pendulum) brake controller.

They have a good reputation for quality, but I like the Prodigy because of how smooth it operates the brakes, plus it's adjustability.

If they still made hydraulic trailer brakes I would probably go with that
__________________
JcrOffroad
Zoom Zoom!
Monkeyevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 07:41 PM   #15
Viperdave
A-1 Dave Costa
 
Join Date: 03-12-06
Location: Wolcott, Ct
Posts: 1,106
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Viperdave
Default

prodigy on 4 vehicles currently here...
Viperdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #16
Sandals
Fucking Zen as Shit
 
Sandals's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Lindenhurst, IL
Posts: 15,367
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

I love my prodigy, and got it off of the internet for the same price as some lower rated ones
Sandals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 11:11 PM   #17
89yjon
Senior Member
 
89yjon's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-04-06
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Posts: 603
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I just bought a p3 online for 119.00 Should be here in a couple of days.
Some place in texas had it on sale.
89yjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 05:13 PM   #18
Roadhouse
DrivewayJeeper
 
Roadhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Sanford
Posts: 10,956
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclovin View Post
Prodigy P3 nuff said
Same thing I installed in my 3/4 ton Suburban.....its a much nicer unit than Pilot controller the RV dealer installed in my 1/2 ton Suburban.

Last edited by Roadhouse; August 19th, 2008 at 05:45 PM.
Roadhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 10:38 PM   #19
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,641
iTrader: (55)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
No, I was on vacation at the time & just happy to have the problem behind me. I think it's still in the garage somewhere.
Its an electronic device. There's no such thing as 0 PPM quality with electronics, or anything else.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 05:14 AM   #20
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 21,277
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
Its an electronic device. There's no such thing as 0 PPM quality with electronics, or anything else.
No arguement from me, but it's kinda like going to the expensive resturant that everyone raves about & getting a shitty meal. You're not likely to spend that high dollar a second time around.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Tow rigs and trailers

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.29877 seconds with 82 queries