Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

For those of you who wheel in the snow...What tires?

2K views 31 replies 30 participants last post by  TopThrillJoe 
#1 ·
I don't like driving my Jeep in the Winter because the BFG MTs on it are slick as hell. And that is on pavement. What tires do you guys use in the snow...especially when you wheel. I'd really like to make a snow run next year but have to get proper tires first.

#13 ·
sipe them. I used to drive them on a tj 40,000 miles a year all through the northern lower pen. and I used to switch to stockers. Till I got them siped, total night and day. Be sure to use correct air pressure too.
Like Tab said just get em siped. Cost about $60 a set, and yes it is night and day.
Agreed - I swapped out my 35" claws in favor of my siped 33" cepeks - huge difference.

#9 ·
i had BFG muds, worked great in the snow, but BAD on wet/slippery pavement. Have radial iroks now that come sipped and they grip way better on wet roads, havent tried them in the snow yet.

#14 ·
Love my Truxus MT's too. I didn't think I could have this much traction in the snow. Turning and braking on snow covered and icy roads is awesome too.

#16 ·
I believe Mr. Beefy just got his BFG M/T's siped for the same reason and said it made a huge difference.

But I love my trXus for winter wheeling and daily driving. They clean snow out well(and look so nice and clean afterward) and grip like crazy on the pavement. As long as my rig is a DD, I'll be on trXus, regardless of size.

#18 ·
I have BFG M/t's and have had no problems with my dodge in the snow. my moms truck used to have swamper LTBs, those were great for the snow, but not so good on wet pavement. my S-10 has futura Dakota M/T's. those are quite good in snow but pack up easy if you don't spin them up every so often.

#19 ·
On road, I like BFG-MTs, especially siped.

Off road, the key is proper air pressure. IROKs look to be quite good.

I have no issues with my SXs, which are grooved, and run at extremely low pressure (1-2 psi on beadlocks), but my truck is light and they are 14.5" wide...

Floation and gripping edges are what its about in the snow.

#20 ·
I ran my iroks the last couple weekends, booth on the road and off they work very well, 4-5 psi on the trail, stuck very well... better then a set of maxxis tires:tonka: Then the correct pressure on the road, 25 psi for me. I have also run BFG a/ts worked really well, and siped pro-comp m/ts also worked well. My friend runs siped BFG m/t's up in houghton, mi and loves them

#21 ·
i run mastercraft courser MT's in the summer, there a off brand of coopers, cheap and tough!

in the winter i switch to bridgestone dueler AT REVO's. they grab a wet road like no other!

#24 ·
Wow. The replies are truly eye-opening. My BFG MTs are getting old (and I bought them used so they are probably pretty hard) and I was planning on replacing them this year. The tread is decent...about 30% left. I bought a brand new spare rim and spare 32x11.5R-15 BFG MT and had it siped. Guess I'll just replace the other 4 and have them siped. It is VERY interesting to read what everybody else is using on their snow runs. Thanks very much for the replies.

#25 ·
i had bfg mts, and almost puked at their crappiness. maybe its just because i have used good tires in the past, but i thought they were horrible. they were about 85%, no i didnt wear them out, i sold them as soon as i could. fortunately everyone likes the pos's, so they have a good resale value.

for good off road grip, iroks, sx's, tsls, trxus mt's, toyo mt's when new (havent had the opportunity to try them when worn) , there are some others, but i cant think of what else works as good. the new bfg's may do ok, i have had good luck with the trxus sts's as well

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.