|November 11th, 2005, 08:30 PM||#1|
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: NY.....Formerly Ferris State
Dropping the Gas tank TJ
i am going to drop the gas tank on my 99 TJ (15 gall).....to replace the sending unit.....is there anything i need to do special, or should it just come out pretty easy.....( as far as the skid plate or anything like that? ) Thanks
|November 15th, 2005, 04:17 AM||#3|
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: ft wayne in
if your jeep came with the *cough* 14/15 gal tank check into the mod you can do to make it a 20 gal tank while you have it dropped. basically they are the same tank one just has a longer tube to stop fueling than the other.
|November 15th, 2005, 06:16 AM||#4|
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: 20 minutes south of Hell...
its pretty easy, but you might need two pair of hands to get all the lines off & on while doing the job, I think theres one electric plug ,fill tube, vent, purge, and fuel lines
|November 15th, 2005, 10:26 AM||#5|
Join Date: 11-06-05
Easy peasy...if ya need a pdf with the pictures and diagrams e-mail me...this is for a 97 but shouldnt be too different...
WARNING: THE FUEL SYSTEM IS UNDER CONSTANT
FUEL PRESSURE EVEN WITH THE ENGINE
OFF. THIS PRESSURE MUST BE RELEASED
BEFORE SERVICING FUEL TANK.
WARNING: KEEP OPEN FLAME AWAY FROM FUEL
(1) Disconnect negative battery cable.
(2) Remove fuel filler cap.
(3) Perform the Fuel System Pressure Release Procedure
as described elsewhere in this group.
(4) Remove 8 screws retaining plastic fuel filler
bezel to body. Remove fuel filler bezel.
(5) To prevent contaminants from entering tank,
temporarily install fuel cap to fill hoses.
(6) Cut plastic tie wrap securing rear axle vent
hose to fuel filler hoses.
(7) Disconnect electrical connector at front of fuel
(8) Disconnect EVAP hose from EVAP line at front
of fuel tank.
(9) Disconnect quick-connect fitting from fuel line
at front of fuel tank. Refer to Quick-Connect
Fittings in this group for procedures.
(10) The fuel tank and skid plate are removed as
an assembly. Centrally position a transmission jack
(or equivalent lifting device) under skid plate/fuel
tank assembly. Secure tank assembly to jack.
(11) Remove three skid plate-to-body nuts at front
of tank. Remove one of the nuts through
access hole on skid plate.
(12) Remove four skid plate-to-body nuts at rear of
tank. Do not loosen tank strap nuts
(13) Lower the tank assembly.
(14) If fuel pump module is to be removed, refer to
Fuel Pump Module Removal/Installation.
(15) Disconnect fuel filler -hoses at tank. Before
disconnecting, mark and note the hose rotational
position in relation to tank fittings .
(16) Using an approved portable gasoline siphon/
storage tank, drain fuel from tank. To drain fuel,
position drain hose into vent fitting (smallest of 2) on
side of tank.
(17) To separate tank from skid plate, remove two
protective caps at tank strap studs and
remove tank strap nuts.
(18) Remove both straps and remove tank from
skid plate .
|April 28th, 2009, 06:10 PM||#6|
Join Date: 04-28-09
Location: Wahiawa, HI
Old post but new contributor.
anyone out there done the fuel tank modification on a 98 TJ or similiar to get the additional fuel space?
If anyone has done the modification I would like to get some feedback on the process if possible.