Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

92 XJ FS Feeler

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  ddeadserious 
#1 · (Edited)
Thinking about selling my XJ. It's not done being built, still has things that need to be done to it. It has been my DD for almost a year now, so it is doable, will do 65 reasonably comfortably, but not smoothly. Works fine for around town stuff.

Here's my specs(the good stuff):

Drivetrain: 127,XXX miles
  • 4.0 Liter
  • Raised Air Intake
  • No Cat. Convertor
  • Flowmaster 40 Muffler w/ Custom Tailpipe
  • AW4 Transmission
  • NP231 Transfer Case
  • PORC SYE
  • Stock Front Driveshafts F & R

Axles:
  • Dana 30
  • Open Diff
  • 3.55 Gears
  • Chrysler 8.25
  • Powertrax No-Slip
  • 3.55 Gears

Suspension/Steering:
  • Rock Krawler 3-link Long Arms
  • 3" Rusty's Coils w/ 1" Spacer
  • Cheapie Shocks
  • JKS Trackbar
  • JCR 1-ton Steering
  • Rusty's 3.5" Rear Leafs

Tires:
  • 33x12.50x15 Interco trXus M/T's with 70%-80% tread
  • 15x8 Steelies w/ Cragar Center Caps
Interior/Audio:
  • Leather Seats
  • 97+ Center Console
  • Soundbar behind front seats
  • Herculined from the back of the front seats forward

Exterior:
  • Rattlecanned Rustoleum Flat Black and Forest Green, will include a can of green for color reference for touch up
  • Custom 3/16" Front Bumper
  • Hella 500 Fog Lights
  • Delta Xenon Headlight Kit(H4's)
  • Custom Hood Louvers
  • 97+ Mirrors and Door Decals
  • Lower Door 1/8" Diamond Plate
  • 1/8" Rear Quarter Panel Protection
  • Custom 3/16" Rear Bumper/ Tire Carrier
  • TNT Frame Stiffeners

Parts replaced within the last few months:
  • Starter
  • Left Front Wheel Bearing
  • Left Front axle shaft from a 99 XJ d30(stronger u-joint)
  • Extended braided rear brake line and hard lines on the axle
  • Front rotors, pads, and LF caliper

The bad stuff:
  • No audio equipment(stereo or speakers) or CB/Antenna
  • Very rusty floors from the back of the front seats to the hatch(makes it pretty loud inside with the FM)
  • The brakes suck due to the tire size, crappy pads, and rear drums, they don't malfunction, they're just weak.
  • Vibes from the rear axle which may be from a bent/warped housing, or maybe just a shaft.
  • Steering is sloppy, the JCR 1-ton is relatively new, and I'm 99% sure it's the steering box. Have another used, tight box to go along with it.
  • Gas tank filling issue; can only pump gas real slowly, but the tank will take gas, just need to be patient.
  • No e-brake handle or cables
  • No swaybar links or axle-side brackets on the front or rear.
  • I'm an idiot and used non stainless steel hardware to put all my armor on, so it's all rusting stupid and will need to be painted over or replaced.

\

Would make a great trail rig/around town driver, it was built on a budget, but not cheap or half assed. Here's the build thread: http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=41358

Looking to see if $2500 or so is a reasonable asking price, and to see if there's interest for a trade for a stock or mildly lifted(2"-4") Cherokee or Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 or V8, automatic that would make a good daily driver/weekend warrior.

Maybe I'm crazy, someone give me some feedback though.

See less See more
#3 ·
Maybe I'm crazy, someone give me some feedback though.
Just as feedback. I bet you could get around that for it. I'm sure someone would like to have a Jeep project that is already started and on the road. I think that is a reasonable price for what you have. If someone wanted to get to the point you are at, they would have to buy a running XJ. So that's between 1500 and 2000 for what you have, then all the aftermarket stuff. It looks like you have a couple grand or so in parts.

Why are you thinking about selling it? With relatively little work, it could be a pretty good DD and trail rig. It's easy to get fed up with all the nickel and dime stuff (including gas these days) when you are trying to keep an older vehicle on the road.

#6 ·
Thanks, I'm not dead set on selling it. Just thinkin about it. It's really build for the trail, and not so much for daily driving, whereas I only get the time and money to go wheeling once every month or two. My ratio of DDing:Wheeling is like 60:1, so i'd like to get something a little more mild and more road friendly.

#11 ·
I know, and I'd hate to sell it, I'm just out of motivation and money.

why not buy a beater saturn for a DD and drive the jeep if the beater brakes down

I think you could get your asking price if you sold it though.
I'd much rather do that, but I have NO money, and only make enough with full time school and part time job, to pay my insurance, phone bill, and the loan payment for my old XJ.

Sadly he could probably get more than his asking price if he parted it out.
I'm sure I could get more parting it out, but there's no way I'm going to go through that again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.