Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Fenton area body work welding request.

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  RyeBread 
#1 ·
Fenton area: Body work welding request.

I have a "sunroof" option in the driver's side floor board of my YJ.

See pic (warning large image): http://www.ninefrozentoes.net/jeep/IMG_6085.JPG

I went ahead and bought the JC Whitney repair panetl - yeah a rip-off, but it's already roughly formed into the shape that needs to go down there.

I'm looking for someone willing to:
a) either teach me how to weld the sheet metal
b) or willing just hack the old crap out, and weld the new in for me.

anyone interested? anyone interested in the above in exchange for beer, or beer money?

edit: PM, or sargentsour@yahoo.com or reply to the thread please. thanks.

#3 ·
Muddinguy said:
Look up Baird customs.. they do excelent work ! kinda slow but they do awsome work !!
more info? google struck out. I've lived in the fenton area for about 8 years now and honestly haven't ever heard of them.

if you view some of the other pics in that directory I put in, you'll note that this isn't ever going to be a show jeep.

#7 ·
Deaner said:
thats worth alittle bit more than beer money.
really? how much more? how much beer?

it's a floor panel, not a fender that should be aesthetically pleasing. :dunno:

if that's the consenus, I guess I'll just carve out the old crap myself, and rivet in the new panel. cover it with herculiner, and call it done.

#10 ·
hosejockey4506 said:
that actually might be the easiest way honestly or get some seam seal and glue it in
Thanks for the tip.

hosejockey4506 said:
its hard to weld rusty metal
I've never actually done any welding whatsoever. I however have seen the results of folks welding in replacement metal like this, after cutting the old crap out.

I think Bones did diamond plate in his scrambler to this effect? I've seen so things fabbed up in person, or on web pictures that it's sometimes hard to remember who to attribute it to.

#11 ·
is the panel bigger then the rust holes all the way around I might beable to Assist (show ya what to cut and hand you the tool )ya this weekend dobble check your work and ajust acordinly then have you grind away offending paint then weld it in for you...

I would just do it all fo you but im bussy working on my Jeep to stop and do others!

#12 ·
but seam sealer and pop rivets So long as u hurkuline it and totaly seal it wont be that bad on a wheeler .. still not the right way but way better then some other things i have seen done!

#13 ·
scramblerman72 said:
is the panel bigger then the rust holes all the way around I might beable to Assist (show ya what to cut and hand you the tool )ya this weekend dobble check your work and ajust acordinly then have you grind away offending paint then weld it in for you...

I would just do it all fo you but im bussy working on my Jeep to stop and do others!
I haven't done a dry/test fit yet, but yes, from the catalog, and from manually fondling & eyeballing the part that arrived saturday it appears that it is significantly larger than the current hole in the floor pan.

scramblerman72 said:
but seam sealer and pop rivets So long as u hurkuline it and totaly seal it wont be that bad on a wheeler .. still not the right way but way better then some other things i have seen done!
I'm just trying to get it so it keeps most of the water out, and will stop pulling my shoe/boot off when I put my foot through the existing hole.

if/when I ever sell it there will be plenty of other flaws on the heap, having a rough seam (or 4) won't be the major detraction on it, that I promise :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.