Mitt Romney's speech - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 9th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #1
lbfin88
American Infidel
 
lbfin88's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-24-06
Location: Lapeer
Posts: 1,090
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to lbfin88
Default Mitt Romney's speech

Here is a link to the transcript to the speech he gave last week on freedom of religion.
http://www.mittromney.com/News/Speec...ith_In_America
I was able to hear it all on a satellite radio talk show. I was impressed!
What do you think?
lbfin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old December 9th, 2007, 10:18 PM   #2
GreaseMonkey
Senior Member
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 17,984
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Long read, but it's good.

It's just hard to believe any politician's words until I can find one that follows through with them.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
I am not a lesbian but if I was I would do her.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 06:20 AM   #3
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,689
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

" As Governor, I tried to do the right as best I knew it, serving the law and answering to the Constitution. I did not confuse the particular teachings of my church with the obligations of the office and of the Constitution – and of course, I would not do so as President. I will put no doctrine of any church above the plain duties of the office and the sovereign authority of the law. "

GM, all you would have to do is review his job as Governor and see if what he says is true. But I grabbed that quote because I think he carefully worded it. What he did NOT say is that he would exclude his faith from any decision. He only said the doctrine would not supercede the law. I think this is the most balanced view out there.

When I hear a candidate say that they personally despise abortion, yet with so to support it in office, what does that say about their character? I would rather a candidate say that they don't mind it at all, and won't mind it in office either. At least that position would be an honest one. Anyway, Mitt's views are straight with me. I don't think Mormonism is true, but I respect what he said.
Dave Kerwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 07:04 AM   #4
redmud
10 0011 10101
 
redmud's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-26-06
Location: Fenton, MI
Posts: 2,335
iTrader: (33)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I can respect what he said as well, Mormons give me a headache, and I'm still not sure that I'm comfortable with the idea of a Mormon President, but based on that speech, if he will back it up, he may be a better shot than Guliani.
__________________
BDS Suspension


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Green again View Post
How can you land a space ship on the moon? How can a snake eat an aligator? how does the internet work? some questions are not meant to be answered by man alone.
redmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 07:39 AM   #5
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,788
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kerwin View Post
I don't think Mormonism is true, but I respect what he said.
lemme guess, "really far-fetched and no evidence, right?"
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 10:12 AM   #6
Lothos
KD8GKB
 
Lothos's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-17-05
Location: .5 past lightspeed
Posts: 6,506
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via ICQ to Lothos Send a message via AIM to Lothos Send a message via Yahoo to Lothos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kerwin View Post
" As Governor, I tried to do the right as best I knew it, serving the law and answering to the Constitution. I did not confuse the particular teachings of my church with the obligations of the office and of the Constitution – and of course, I would not do so as President. I will put no doctrine of any church above the plain duties of the office and the sovereign authority of the law. "

GM, all you would have to do is review his job as Governor and see if what he says is true. But I grabbed that quote because I think he carefully worded it. What he did NOT say is that he would exclude his faith from any decision. He only said the doctrine would not supercede the law. I think this is the most balanced view out there.

When I hear a candidate say that they personally despise abortion, yet with so to support it in office, what does that say about their character? I would rather a candidate say that they don't mind it at all, and won't mind it in office either. At least that position would be an honest one. Anyway, Mitt's views are straight with me. I don't think Mormonism is true, but I respect what he said.

Who in their right mind would not have their personal beliefs inject some influence upon their actions? I think he's just being honest that he knows the law of the office comes first but his character and views are in there as well.
Lothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #7
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,689
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
lemme guess, "really far-fetched and no evidence, right?"
more like made up by a normal guy who made outrageous claims without the ability to back up said claims. UNLIKE the Kingship of Christ who CAN back up his claims.
Dave Kerwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #8
Lothos
KD8GKB
 
Lothos's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-17-05
Location: .5 past lightspeed
Posts: 6,506
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via ICQ to Lothos Send a message via AIM to Lothos Send a message via Yahoo to Lothos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kerwin View Post
more like made up by a normal guy who made outrageous claims without the ability to back up said claims. UNLIKE the Kingship of Christ who CAN back up his claims.
An imaginary person can backup their extraordinarily ridiculous claims?
Lothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 02:30 PM   #9
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,689
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothos View Post
An imaginary person can backup their extraordinarily ridiculous claims?
With all due respect, anyone who says Jesus did not exist is a moron, period. This person would have to throw all ALL human history that they were not physically present to view, and they would never be able to tell that story because apparently eye witnessed recoreded accounts are worthless, even from people who die to back up what they said and did.
Dave Kerwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 03:16 PM   #10
Lothos
KD8GKB
 
Lothos's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-17-05
Location: .5 past lightspeed
Posts: 6,506
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via ICQ to Lothos Send a message via AIM to Lothos Send a message via Yahoo to Lothos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kerwin View Post
With all due respect, anyone who says Jesus did not exist is a moron, period. This person would have to throw all ALL human history that they were not physically present to view, and they would never be able to tell that story because apparently eye witnessed recoreded accounts are worthless, even from people who die to back up what they said and did.
No, you're talking about God's son Christ vs Jesus of Bethlehem. The man Jesus undoubtedly existed. I question whether he was the son of God and performed the miracles as they have been told. Wondrous claims told in the third person after the fact.
Lothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #11
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,689
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

This will be my last off topic post in this thread. Mormons also say that God exists, but they throw the Joseph Smith mixer in there. You said imaginary PERSON, not imaginary God. Your argument should be based on Joseph Smith vs. Jesus Christ (the men who walked the Earth and claimed God representation). In that case, there is no comparison, at all, not even a little. This is NOT an argument that could go either way. Lets drop it.
Dave Kerwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 02:45 PM   #12
lbfin88
American Infidel
 
lbfin88's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-24-06
Location: Lapeer
Posts: 1,090
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to lbfin88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothos View Post
No, you're talking about God's son Christ vs Jesus of Bethlehem. The man Jesus undoubtedly existed. I question whether he was the son of God and performed the miracles as they have been told. Wondrous claims told in the third person after the fact.
You would do well to heed the warnings of first hand accounts of eyewitnesses who were there and lived with Him for three years.
I Peter Chapter 1
16 For we did not follow cunningly devised fables when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of His majesty. 17 For He received from God the Father honor and glory when such a voice came to Him from the Excellent Glory: “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” 18 And we heard this voice which came from heaven when we were with Him on the holy mountain.
19 And so we have the prophetic word confirmed,[a] which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts; 20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation,[b] 21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God[c] spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.
lbfin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.21694 seconds with 58 queries