Welding axles....streetable? - Page 2 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Axle Tech
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old November 1st, 2007, 08:49 PM   #21
jmdzuk
Senior Member
 
jmdzuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-20-05
Location: Lowell MI
Posts: 2,574
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecarlo33 View Post
Thanks for the input fellas. I think I am gunna wait for the rear end for when I get a 14 bolt. Should be fine just welding the front Dana 44 right?
Loaded question

I drove a sami for a year on 33 weld rear.Wheeled the piss out of it and as far as I know its still in one piece, 3 years later with stockers on it now . But a friend of mine with the same set up ,witch i weld also(rear) .Lasted 2 days and I had to re do it ,and eventually it went south.
My point is every one drives different some people cant drive off road with lockers and some could hand your butt to you with out them .

I wouldn't wast my time welding it ,save a little money and put a locker in it and buy every stock shaft you can get your hands on, and have fun .
10 bolt fronts are almost free ,if you put one of those in you would have more shafts than strip club.Some times high dollar is just that, spend nothing ,or do it right the first time.
just my 2 cent rant
Jeff
jmdzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old November 1st, 2007, 10:50 PM   #22
Motor Slut
I put the Ick in Dick.
 
Motor Slut's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: 49963
Posts: 2,411
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sglide View Post
plus, no need to heat gears with a torch with dc stick, you wont get any better penetration so all you are doing is expanding the heat affected zone
The gears are hardened so I prefer to get a nice consistent weld and not cause any heat fractures. I'm not worried about penetration with my MIG.
Motor Slut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 11:04 PM   #23
sglide
co captain of cubes pants
 
sglide's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-12-05
Location: kalkaska bitch
Posts: 4,117
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor Slut View Post
The gears are hardened so I prefer to get a nice consistent weld and not cause any heat fractures. I'm not worried about penetration with my MIG.
wont help,
with mig that is.
you cant get a "nice consistent weld profile on hardened mat. with mig
this is why we don't do any x-ray or pressure processes with it
and it is universally not recommended by professionals for this app.
all you are doing is taking the heat treatment out of it
you are actually making it weaker by doing this.
sglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 05:48 AM   #24
jmdzuk
Senior Member
 
jmdzuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-20-05
Location: Lowell MI
Posts: 2,574
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Tig welding with super missile weld is what I prefer. No pre heat ,I start tacking it together then weld deep inside staggering then the outside(the gears not housing ) this ends up pre heating it (don't put the money shot in first but tease it for a while then let it have it )
Then when its done pack it with oil dry or some sort of insulation,let cool.

Jeff
jmdzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 09:24 AM   #25
liv2mx
i like jungle gym's.
 
liv2mx's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: silver lake and up in the air building america
Posts: 11,215
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

i have welded just the valleys and will never reccomend that. it broke and took out 2 gears. i have had broken gears and tacked them back in place and then welded it all into 1 chunk. i have seen were guys have put a chunk of steel in the center then welded that all up. i prefer to just weld the crap out of everything.. dan from B.T.F. said if you weld one properly it should never break.i believe that. he has welded many 14 bolts and has yet to break one and he builds some sweet rides...
liv2mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 10:15 AM   #26
fsumotorhead
N8KVB
 
fsumotorhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-24-06
Location: Flat Rock, MI
Posts: 4,197
iTrader: (34)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sglide View Post
i ve done alot of them this way.
but as a professional welder its easier on my back, and youl get a more quality more even weld profile with it sitting on the bench
plus, no need to heat gears with a torch with dc stick, you wont get any better penetration so all you are doing is expanding the heat affected zone

I thought the point of heating the gear was becuse the are cast? And if so shouldn't you use a high Ni rod?
fsumotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 11:48 AM   #27
jmdzuk
Senior Member
 
jmdzuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-20-05
Location: Lowell MI
Posts: 2,574
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsumotorhead View Post
I thought the point of heating the gear was becuse the are cast? And if so shouldn't you use a high Ni rod?
Cast Gears ?


No the gears are hard


And I dont think pre heating them is going to gain much

A slow cool on the other hand ,yes
jmdzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 01:24 PM   #28
hosejockey4506
Visiting Admin
 
hosejockey4506's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: fenton
Posts: 8,790
iTrader: (42)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2mx View Post
i have welded just the valleys and will never reccomend that. it broke and took out 2 gears. i have had broken gears and tacked them back in place and then welded it all into 1 chunk. i have seen were guys have put a chunk of steel in the center then welded that all up. i prefer to just weld the crap out of everything.. dan from B.T.F. said if you weld one properly it should never break.i believe that. he has welded many 14 bolts and has yet to break one and he builds some sweet rides...

14 bolts are hard to weld you cant just weld them up and be done you cant see the gears when installed
__________________
one of Michigans 99% er club.
hosejockey4506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 02:09 PM   #29
liv2mx
i like jungle gym's.
 
liv2mx's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: silver lake and up in the air building america
Posts: 11,215
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey4506 View Post
14 bolts are hard to weld you cant just weld them up and be done you cant see the gears when installed
yea a 14 bolt to get it welded right needs to be disasembled. weld into a ball and then put it back together.
liv2mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 07:51 PM   #30
Motor Slut
I put the Ick in Dick.
 
Motor Slut's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: 49963
Posts: 2,411
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sglide View Post
wont help,
with mig that is.
you cant get a "nice consistent weld profile on hardened mat. with mig
this is why we don't do any x-ray or pressure processes with it
and it is universally not recommended by professionals for this app.
all you are doing is taking the heat treatment out of it
you are actually making it weaker by doing this.
You must preheat hardened steel before welding to reduce the risk of heat fractures. That is in every welding handbook.

Many professional welders don't know squat about the process of welding and what is happening, they just know how to lay a bead down. I know this because I employed about 50 different Ironworkers and only about 5 knew anything about how welding worked. I had to tell the rest what rod to use for what weld. I also had to adjust the welder for them because they couldn't adjust it to weld properly.
Motor Slut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 12:43 PM   #31
busyfixin
Balls Deep
 
busyfixin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-24-06
Location: williamsburg, MI
Posts: 3,222
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

iron workers are not quite what id call a "professional" welder. they are steel asssemblers that usually have never seen a rod other than 7018. a professional welder would be someone whe welds for a living, laying beads that have to be x-ray tested and certified. pipelines and oil field equipment are the best example of needing perfect welds layed properly with the right process. this just happens to be what sglide does. heating and cooling different materials vary greatly depending on ac/dc/polarity/rod selection.
busyfixin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 11:10 PM   #32
Motor Slut
I put the Ick in Dick.
 
Motor Slut's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: 49963
Posts: 2,411
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyfixin View Post
a professional welder would be someone whe welds for a living, laying beads that have to be x-ray tested and certified. pipelines and oil field equipment are the best example of needing perfect welds layed properly with the right process.
Hey dumbass that's what Ironworkers do.

You also have to x-ray welds on powerplants, boilers, and many other structures. All of these are built by Ironworkers who do it for a living.
Motor Slut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 10:10 AM   #33
liv2mx
i like jungle gym's.
 
liv2mx's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: silver lake and up in the air building america
Posts: 11,215
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

i was a ironworker local 25 for 8 years. to get my journeyman card we had to get our welds x rayed. i agree alot of guys have no idea how to weld.but welding in the field 300 feet in the air, is a little diffrent then being in a perfect shop w a flat table to weld on. dont bash a union iron worker.....
liv2mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 10:31 AM   #34
1x1_Speed_Craig
Simplify...
 
1x1_Speed_Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,378
iTrader: (120)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2mx View Post
i agree alot of guys have no idea how to weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2mx View Post
dont bash a union iron worker.....
Aren't you contradicting yourself? :tonka:


I like the way JCR does theirs. Instead of welding just the spider gears, they weld a plate in the void between the gears. I won't claim to be an expert on the subject, but it looks a HELL of a lot stronger.

Craig
1x1_Speed_Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 01:11 PM   #35
BMFmike
meh.
 
BMFmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Grand Haven
Posts: 7,816
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1x1_Speed_Craig View Post
Aren't you contradicting yourself? :tonka:


I like the way JCR does theirs. Instead of welding just the spider gears, they weld a plate in the void between the gears. I won't claim to be an expert on the subject, but it looks a HELL of a lot stronger.

Craig
When J-rod and a friend welded a 8.25 they used almost a full spool on a mig, It was very impressive. :tonka:
BMFmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #36
sglide
co captain of cubes pants
 
sglide's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-12-05
Location: kalkaska bitch
Posts: 4,117
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor Slut View Post
You must preheat hardened steel before welding to reduce the risk of heat fractures. That is in every welding handbook.

Many professional welders don't know squat about the process of welding and what is happening, they just know how to lay a bead down. I know this because I employed about 50 different Ironworkers and only about 5 knew anything about how welding worked. I had to tell the rest what rod to use for what weld. I also had to adjust the welder for them because they couldn't adjust it to weld properly.
you have no idea what i do
or did you read my post
it wont help for mig
you don't weld hardened mat. with mig if you know what you are doing.
have a mig weld on hardened mat. ex rayed once (no matter how you pre heat) and you'll know what i mean.
and any good field welder knows that with stick its easy and more consistent to pre heat with 5 or 6p+

Ive always been respectful and not tried to tell you how to wrench
do not tell me what i do or don't know about welding
I'm not an iron worker
I'm a pipe welder that specializes in doing "hot" work
this means its explosive, or on fire.
if i didn't know what i was doing i would be dead 100 times over
but thats OK i must be wrong cuz you said so
sglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 07:59 PM   #37
BIGBEN
All out Idiot
 
BIGBEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-20-05
Location: Wyoming, MI (right next to GR)
Posts: 1,710
iTrader: (32)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

the last person i would question as a welder is sglide.

this is why he will be welding my gears (once i get them to him). :tonka:
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
My hope is that one day all women will realize just how well they could have it if they just shut their big fucking whining mouths.
BIGBEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #38
zjkid
Senior Member
 
zjkid's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-18-07
Location: EL
Posts: 3,931
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sglide View Post
you have no idea what i do
or did you read my post
it wont help for mig
you don't weld hardened mat. with mig if you know what you are doing.
have a mig weld on hardened mat. ex rayed once (no matter how you pre heat) and you'll know what i mean.
and any good field welder knows that with stick its easy and more consistent to pre heat with 5 or 6p+

Ive always been respectful and not tried to tell you how to wrench
do not tell me what i do or don't know about welding
I'm not an iron worker
I'm a pipe welder that specializes in doing "hot" work
this means its explosive, or on fire.
if i didn't know what i was doing i would be dead 100 times over
but thats OK i must be wrong cuz you said so
:tonka:
zjkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 09:54 PM   #39
brimy311
Smells like a Fork Liftis
 
brimy311's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Kzoo, mi
Posts: 4,092
iTrader: (42)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to brimy311
Default

Here is how mine is welded, same on both sides. No problems. I would not weld a front end. Have a nice night.

__________________
JcrOffroad.com
Like us on Faceook!
brimy311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #40
busyfixin
Balls Deep
 
busyfixin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-24-06
Location: williamsburg, MI
Posts: 3,222
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

iron workers do not weld up boiler systems, a "professional welder"/pipefitter does. im not bashing iron workers saying that they are complete idiots, (assholes? yes most of them) but rather saying that they dont generally weld pressurized systems and such. they almost always lay 7018 only, as for x-ray, 7018 has got to be the easiest to lay a certifiable x-ray weld. i understand that laying 7018 on 1/2-1" thick I-beams 300' in the air is different from working in a shop, or the feild, thats why we dont weld diffs on the top of buildings. btw, i am not a "dumbass", and i am very familiar with iron workers, as i work with them all the time.
busyfixin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Axle Tech

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.36875 seconds with 80 queries