What is the Michigan law on roof mounted driving lights. - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old October 8th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #1
99XJJEEP
Senior Member
 
99XJJEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Location: ROSEVILLE, MI
Posts: 146
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default What is the Michigan law on roof mounted driving lights.

Getting ready to install 2 KC 6" driving light on my aftermarket roof rack (99 Cherokee. I was wondering what the Michigan law is on these lights. I know I can not have them on while driving on public roads. Does the law state they have to have covers on them while on the road?
99XJJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old October 8th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #2
Jeeperz Creeperz
GL 4x4 Vendors
 
Jeeperz Creeperz's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Wyandotte, MI
Posts: 3,127
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via ICQ to Jeeperz Creeperz Send a message via AIM to Jeeperz Creeperz Send a message via MSN to Jeeperz Creeperz Send a message via Yahoo to Jeeperz Creeperz
Default

There are no laws that say they need to be covered.

In fact, I can't find any law that says you can't use them on a public road, so long as:

a) under any condition of loading none of the high intensity portion of the beam shall be directed to strike the eyes of an approaching driver.

and

b) Whenever the driver of a vehicle approaches an oncoming vehicle within 500 feet, such driver shall use a distribution of light or composite beam so aimed that the glaring rays are not projected into the eyes of the oncoming driver.

Sources:
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(pkk...light=lighting

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(pkk...light=lighting

Now this bit is interesting:

A motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than 2 spot lamps, except that a motorcycle shall not be equipped with more than 1 spot lamp, and every lighted spot lamp shall be so aimed and used upon approaching another vehicle that no part of the beam will be directed into the eyes of the approaching driver. Spot lamps may not emit other than either a white or amber light.

Source:
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(pkk...20AND%20height
Jeeperz Creeperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 08:21 PM   #3
RyeBread
Catch the wave
 
RyeBread's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Fenton
Posts: 7,959
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

didn't the liberty renegade or some crap come with roof mounted spot/off-road lights stock from the factory?

if they come with covers, may as well keep them on to keep your butt covered. I would not advise using them on the road, regardless of whether or not you can find a loophole that says you can, the officers I have spoken to WILL write you for it, repeatedly, and/or for additional offenses if you get insolent with them over it...
RyeBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 08:30 PM   #4
GreaseMonkey
Pew pew!
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 18,043
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

You just can't turn them on when you're on the road.

I had a KJ Renegade with the roof lights. I'd recommend keeping lights covered though, because rocks will take the lenses out.
__________________
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 08:57 PM   #5
99XJJEEP
Senior Member
 
99XJJEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Location: ROSEVILLE, MI
Posts: 146
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

So if they sell a Liberty with roof mounted lights. Can you use those to drive with? I know there are 3 different lights you can buy. (Fog, driving, and spot lights). If you have the driving lights aimed properly can I use them on the street?
99XJJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #6
RyeBread
Catch the wave
 
RyeBread's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Fenton
Posts: 7,959
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99XJJEEP View Post
So if they sell a Liberty with roof mounted lights. Can you use those to drive with? I know there are 3 different lights you can buy. (Fog, driving, and spot lights). If you have the driving lights aimed properly can I use them on the street?
read the above. how can you honestly think that lights, mounted above oncoming traffic's line of sight, with light emitting, and traveling a path through their line of sight, down to the pavement would be a good/legal idea?

are you really that impaired at driving at night? or is this just cause you think it looks neat?
RyeBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #7
Stan
I got a gold chain
 
Stan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Shelby Twp.
Posts: 15,830
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Default

Make sure they are under 13'9". They may get ripped off by a bridge.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 09:04 PM   #8
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,793
iTrader: (58)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Those Libertys were not allowed to be sold in certain states for that reason. One or two down sotuheast, I believe (I'm thinking NC or TN).
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 09:04 PM   #9
Hombre
I carry a shank
 
Hombre's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-15-06
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,549
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeperz Creeperz View Post
There are no laws that say they need to be covered.

In fact, I can't find any law that says you can't use them on a public road, so long as:

a) under any condition of loading none of the high intensity portion of the beam shall be directed to strike the eyes of an approaching driver.

and

b) Whenever the driver of a vehicle approaches an oncoming vehicle within 500 feet, such driver shall use a distribution of light or composite beam so aimed that the glaring rays are not projected into the eyes of the oncoming driver.

Sources:
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(pkk...light=lighting

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(pkk...light=lighting

Now this bit is interesting:

A motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than 2 spot lamps, except that a motorcycle shall not be equipped with more than 1 spot lamp, and every lighted spot lamp shall be so aimed and used upon approaching another vehicle that no part of the beam will be directed into the eyes of the approaching driver. Spot lamps may not emit other than either a white or amber light.

Source:
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(pkk...20AND%20height
Cannot use roof mounted lights on public roadways and they do not have to be covered.
MVC 257.685
(4) Every head lamp upon a motor vehicle shall be located at a height measured from the center of the head lamp of not more than 54 inches nor less than 24 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands.
Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #10
Yetti
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
 
Yetti's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: 20 minutes south of Hell...
Posts: 14,388
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

257.685 Head lamps; number; modulator; height; auxiliary, spot, or other lamp; exemption.

Sec. 685.
(1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (2), a motor vehicle shall be equipped with at least 2 head lamps with at least 1 head lamp on each side of the front of the motor vehicle, in compliance with this chapter. An implement of husbandry manufactured on or after January 1, 2007 shall comply with section 684a.
(2) A motorcycle or moped shall be equipped with at least 1 and not more than 2 head lamps that comply with this chapter.
(3) A motorcycle or moped head lamp may be wired or equipped to allow either its upper beam or its lower beam, but not both, to modulate from a higher intensity to a lower intensity. A head lamp modulator installed on a motorcycle or moped with 2 head lamps shall be wired in a manner to prevent the head lamps from modulating at different rates or not in synchronization with each other. A head lamp modulator installed on a motorcycle or moped shall meet the standards prescribed in 49 CFR 571.108.
(4) Every head lamp upon a motor vehicle shall be located at a height measured from the center of the head lamp of not more than 54 inches nor less than 24 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands.
(5) When a motor vehicle equipped with head lamps as required in this section is also equipped with auxiliary lamps or a spot lamp or any other lamp on the front of the motor vehicle projecting a beam of an intensity greater than 300 candlepower, not more than a total of 4 of those lamps on the front of a vehicle shall be lighted at a time when upon a highway.
(6) A motor vehicle licensed as an historic vehicle is exempt from the requirements of this section if the vehicle as originally equipped failed to meet these requirements. An historic vehicle shall not be operated in violation of section 684.

theres a ton of info

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=5881
__________________
Yetti
Yetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 09:11 PM   #11
Lothos
KD8GKB
 
Lothos's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-17-05
Location: .5 past lightspeed
Posts: 6,506
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via ICQ to Lothos Send a message via AIM to Lothos Send a message via Yahoo to Lothos
Default

didn't we cover this like last month?

max at most on at one time are 4 forward facing white lights within the headlight height area or some such nonsense. everything else has to be OFF.
Lothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 09:13 PM   #12
Hombre
I carry a shank
 
Hombre's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-15-06
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,549
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothos View Post
didn't we cover this like last month?

max at most on at one time are 4 forward facing white lights within the headlight height area or some such nonsense. everything else has to be OFF.
Yup. Plus height and color/location on vehicle requirements.
Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 09:34 PM   #13
99XJJEEP
Senior Member
 
99XJJEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Location: ROSEVILLE, MI
Posts: 146
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeBread View Post
read the above. how can you honestly think that lights, mounted above oncoming traffic's line of sight, with light emitting, and traveling a path through their line of sight, down to the pavement would be a good/legal idea?

are you really that impaired at driving at night? or is this just cause you think it looks neat?
I was just making a statement about the Jeep's sold with the lights in the lightbar from the factory. Only plan on using the lights on top to drive around Fenton.
99XJJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #14
dngrous_Jeep
National Guard guy
 
dngrous_Jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-10-06
Location: South Boredom, MI
Posts: 1,061
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Hmmm, I was just wondering about this on the drive home from school tonight.
And which would be preferable? More smaller lights mounted on the grille guard / winch guard, or fewer larger lights mounted on a light bar? (also going to be put on a Cherokee)

I'm leaning towards the smaller lights mounted on the grille guard, because that's one less thing I'd need to mount that I don't absolutely have to.
If I need to mount lights on a roof bar, then that just tempts me to build a full exo cage, and what's an exo cage on a stock XJ? That's right, those roof lights will cost me $15K in exo cage, bigger wheels/tires, upgraded axles, lift to fit said axles, and upgraded drivetrain to spin the aforementioned tires.

It's a vicious cycle.... lol
dngrous_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 09:42 PM   #15
Lothos
KD8GKB
 
Lothos's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-17-05
Location: .5 past lightspeed
Posts: 6,506
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via ICQ to Lothos Send a message via AIM to Lothos Send a message via Yahoo to Lothos
Default

lights mounted on the roof of a vehicle or at that height is to light up objects at distances of more than 300 feet typically. On my F150 I had 5 lights on the bar with the outer two lights aimed slightly outward and the center light slightly downward compared to the remaining 2 to provide full illumination of anything forward of the either wheel angle.

Mounting more lights lower will not do anything for you honestly unless they are of different intensity or color. Low lights are generally for pavement illumination without lighting fog/rain/snow up in front of you.
Lothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 09:50 PM   #16
jeepfreak81
81 inches of fun
 
jeepfreak81's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: Lennon, Mi
Posts: 12,377
iTrader: (23)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jeepfreak81 Send a message via MSN to jeepfreak81 Send a message via Yahoo to jeepfreak81
Default

I used to live in BFE where it was very dark, I would kick them on at night (knowing it was illegal) with no traffic because deer run rampant and my dad had hit three in just a couple years. I just kicked them off at any sign of another car.

IIRC it is a pretty big fine if your caught though.
jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 10:22 PM   #17
Roadhouse
DrivewayJeeper
 
Roadhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Sanford
Posts: 10,956
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
Those Libertys were not allowed to be sold in certain states for that reason. One or two down sotuheast, I believe (I'm thinking NC or TN).
Virginia or W. Virginia was one.
Roadhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 11:20 PM   #18
skife
Senior Member
 
skife's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-12-07
Location: cedar springs mi
Posts: 5,133
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to skife Send a message via MSN to skife
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreak81 View Post
I used to live in BFE where it was very dark, I would kick them on at night (knowing it was illegal) with no traffic because deer run rampant and my dad had hit three in just a couple years. I just kicked them off at any sign of another car.

IIRC it is a pretty big fine if your caught though.


i'm thinking of doing this.
i drive pizza, and sometimes its extremely hard to see numbers on mailboxes, espically when its raining.
skife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #19
Stan
I got a gold chain
 
Stan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Shelby Twp.
Posts: 15,830
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Default

I light bar on my jeep would last about 10 minutes on a trail ride.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 11:59 PM   #20
Stan
I got a gold chain
 
Stan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Shelby Twp.
Posts: 15,830
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skife View Post
i'm thinking of doing this.
i drive pizza, and sometimes its extremely hard to see numbers on mailboxes, espically when its raining.
You need one of those a piller mounted lights with the hand control inside. Like the police cars.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.30659 seconds with 80 queries