External cage patent. - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old January 17th, 2008, 09:40 AM   #1
rpgoffroad
Newbie
 
Join Date: 11-11-07
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 1
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default External cage patent.

I'm more of a chevy guy, but I came across a build that a guy is claiming he patented his extrenal cage on his jeep. I have done tubework, and have made my silvy mostly an exo cage.

Is this really possible to patent pieces of tube welded to your vehicle?

http://chuckstrucks.iforumer.com/vie...m=chuckstrucks
rpgoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old January 17th, 2008, 09:42 AM   #2
brimy311
Smells like a Fork Liftis
 
brimy311's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Kzoo, mi
Posts: 4,092
iTrader: (42)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to brimy311
Default

It's totally patent! He is sooooo bada$$, they gave him the patent for free! His air horns are also patent.
__________________
JcrOffroad.com
Like us on Faceook!
brimy311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 09:52 AM   #3
RyeBread
Catch the wave
 
RyeBread's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Fenton
Posts: 7,958
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

his patent, if ever approved will be fairly narrowly defined to his particular design.

think about this for a second. how many ZJ's are there out there that want to be exocaged, and will buy a 'production zj exo cage' ?

there are relatively few people in this 'sub market' that want to buy a 'hardkore' zj - those that really want one will probably save some coin and build/mock up their own exocage. a cage that would be more than likely slightly different with respect to tubing, diameter, weld/joint type, angles, etc, etc. and thus not violate his worthless patent, that may never be approved regardless.
RyeBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 09:58 AM   #4
Kodiak450r
Keep on truckin
 
Kodiak450r's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-07
Location: Waterford, MI
Posts: 5,911
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

that guy goes to mounds all the time i've seen him there many times. while the cage is cool it's nothing special.
Kodiak450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 10:01 AM   #5
hosejockey4506
Visiting Admin
 
hosejockey4506's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: fenton
Posts: 8,820
iTrader: (43)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

wtf does he go all over internet trying to make his epenis grow
hosejockey4506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 10:08 AM   #6
RyeBread
Catch the wave
 
RyeBread's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Fenton
Posts: 7,958
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey4506 View Post
wtf does he go all over internet trying to make his epenis grow
yes. that and going to shows, and trying to get more 'sponsors' so he can sticker more of it up.
RyeBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 10:09 AM   #7
ovrlnd
HURL SCOUTS
 
ovrlnd's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-23-07
Location: Westland, Michigan
Posts: 10,003
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ovrlnd
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeBread View Post
his patent, if ever approved will be fairly narrowly defined to his particular design.

think about this for a second. how many ZJ's are there out there that want to be exocaged, and will buy a 'production zj exo cage' ?

there are relatively few people in this 'sub market' that want to buy a 'hardkore' zj - those that really want one will probably save some coin and build/mock up their own exocage. a cage that would be more than likely slightly different with respect to tubing, diameter, weld/joint type, angles, etc, etc. and thus not violate his worthless patent, that may never be approved regardless.
x2 patenting that exocage is to boost his ego. he will spend between $8 & $16 thousand on a patent. he should have hired a marketing agent. you patent something to protect your idea. not too many people are going to rip off an exocage for a ZJ with the intention to product it and sell it.
ovrlnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 10:12 AM   #8
Pokerob
hug life
 
Pokerob's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-25-06
Location: G-Rap, MI
Posts: 10,147
iTrader: (25)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

why would you want to add that much weight? its gay
Pokerob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 10:13 AM   #9
RyeBread
Catch the wave
 
RyeBread's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Fenton
Posts: 7,958
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrlnd View Post
x2 patenting that exocage is to boost his ego. he will spend between $8 & $16 thousand on a patent. he should have hired a marketing agent. you patent something to protect your idea. not too many people are going to rip off an exocage for a ZJ with the intention to product it and sell it.
more than likely he just submitted the patent application through either one of those $50.00 software, or website assistants, and will just leave it at "pending" so he can put that on his signboard when he takes it to shows, and impress folks that are easily impressed.

I can't help but wonder if he ever had any liability over that accident his last Grand was in a few years back... the pictures, and the description of it made it sound pretty horrific for the folks in the other car that he ran over.

In this day and age, I would think given the number of lawsuits, and ambulance chasers that he'd be a bit less attention-whorish about the fact that he evidently has quite a bit of money to blow.

*shrug*
RyeBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 10:14 AM   #10
junk90xj
ALLPRO AUTO
 
junk90xj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: lansing
Posts: 4,558
iTrader: (47)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

haha that is funny. good luck on the patent.
__________________
http://www.apalansing.com/
junk90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 10:14 AM   #11
RyeBread
Catch the wave
 
RyeBread's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Fenton
Posts: 7,958
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerob View Post
why would you want to add that much weight? its gay
cause with the mad power that the hemi makes, it'd likely fly everywhere, and he obviously doesn't have his pilot's license - gots to keep it on the ground somehow!!11one:tonka:
RyeBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 10:27 AM   #12
JohnnyJ
Low Range Drifter
 
JohnnyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Hartland, MI
Posts: 6,339
iTrader: (38)
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Default

I think it'd also be easy to deny his patent, since you could probably find a picture on the web of something like it that the work is based upon that existed before he did the build.

That guy is on this board, right?
__________________
Neither Skinny Nor Pretty DEAK Racing 4517 Ultra 4 Mod Class Rig
Surviving Project Car Hell - We have all been there
JohnnyJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 10:28 AM   #13
Tab
Senior Member
 
Tab's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Freeland, mi
Posts: 4,909
iTrader: (29)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Default

Ya, spend 10k on a patent (if he even gets it) to keep people from copying a shitty looking cage? I think his genius idea and design is safe. BTY what is with all the stupid stickers? Does he really get people to give him products to put on THAT?
Tab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 10:28 AM   #14
Chris99XJ
If It Aint ruf It Aint Me
 
Chris99XJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-23-07
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 278
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Ive seen this ZJ also @ a 4x4 show and many other web site's.
Is he trying to get a patent for the 8 Ball desing he has in all corners of the Exo Cage ?
And he has them on the wheels too.
Other then that, Maybe the guy from ALLPRO automotive ( ken i think ) should get a Patent for the cage on the black XJ they have. LOL
I agree with the probly a $ 50.00 online patent deal, lol
Chris99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 10:30 AM   #15
hosejockey4506
Visiting Admin
 
hosejockey4506's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: fenton
Posts: 8,820
iTrader: (43)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tab View Post
Ya, spend 10k on a patent (if he even gets it) to keep people from copying a shitty looking cage? I think his genius idea and design is safe. BTY what is with all the stupid stickers? Does he really get people to give him products to put on THAT?

you obviously havent seen his pick up truck yet. im not sure you could get many more stickers on it.
hosejockey4506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 10:30 AM   #16
Tab
Senior Member
 
Tab's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Freeland, mi
Posts: 4,909
iTrader: (29)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris99XJ View Post
Ive seen this ZJ also @ a 4x4 show and many other web site's.
Is he trying to get a patent for the 8 Ball desing he has in all corners of the Exo Cage ?
And he has them on the wheels too.
Other then that, Maybe the guy from ALLPRO automotive ( ken i think ) should get a Patent for the cage on the black XJ they have. LOL
I agree with the probly a $ 50.00 online patent deal, lol
Because 8 balls are in huge demand? And Stazworks made the wheels and shit for him so hes out of gas there too.
Tab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 10:31 AM   #17
brimy311
Smells like a Fork Liftis
 
brimy311's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Kzoo, mi
Posts: 4,092
iTrader: (42)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to brimy311
Default

Ken actually copied this cage when he built is first cage. :tonka:
__________________
JcrOffroad.com
Like us on Faceook!
brimy311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 10:32 AM   #18
Tab
Senior Member
 
Tab's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Freeland, mi
Posts: 4,909
iTrader: (29)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey4506 View Post
you obviously havent seen his pick up truck yet. im not sure you could get many more stickers on it.
Isnt he the one who tried to sue Koz after crashing his first build before it was done?
Tab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 10:33 AM   #19
clarkstoncracker
lol
 
clarkstoncracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Location: OC - MI
Posts: 42,722
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to clarkstoncracker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by junk90xj View Post
haha that is funny. good luck on the patent.
x2



Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris99XJ View Post
Other then that, Maybe the guy from ALLPRO automotive ( ken i think ) should get a Patent for the cage on the black XJ they have.
that guys a dick
__________________
clarkstoncracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 10:33 AM   #20
hosejockey4506
Visiting Admin
 
hosejockey4506's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: fenton
Posts: 8,820
iTrader: (43)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimy311 View Post
Ken actually copied this cage when he built is first cage. :tonka:

i have a patent on your land cruiser if you were wondering. i patent the wheels, axles, cage, seat belt tabs and the shock boots.
hosejockey4506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.29229 seconds with 82 queries