Xr600 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Quads, Bikes, and Sleds
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old September 6th, 2007, 01:45 PM   #1
jeepguy74
Senior Member
 
jeepguy74's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-14-06
Location: wellston (west of cadillac)
Posts: 2,861
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Xr600

i have a xr 600 and wondering what people are running for aftermarket pipes and what they think....just seams like it dont have as mych power seams like the 400 i rode was about the same ....(but that was a newer DRZ 400 and KTM 400 so i dunno but anyway..... i wanna get the motor a bit snappier....what ya think???


by the way it is a 93 xr 600
jeepguy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old September 6th, 2007, 03:52 PM   #2
Motor Slut
I put the Ick in Dick.
 
Motor Slut's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: 49963
Posts: 2,411
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy74 View Post
i have a xr 600 and wondering what people are running for aftermarket pipes and what they think....just seams like it dont have as mych power seams like the 400 i rode was about the same ....(but that was a newer DRZ 400 and KTM 400 so i dunno but anyway..... i wanna get the motor a bit snappier....what ya think???


by the way it is a 93 xr 600
Those were not meant to be snappy motors. There is no comparing that old 600 to a newer 400 or 450. Totally different engine design and the 600 is way more reliable in the long run.

That being said you can do an exhaust, header, re-jet, and pick up some extra power. Either Pro Circuit or FMF are both good choices. You can also mod the airbox for more flow, just know that it will require more frequent filter cleaning. There is always the option of overbore with a 11:1 piston if you want. If you want simple power without a rebuild you can also get a cam from Hotcams.
Motor Slut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 11:34 PM   #3
jeepguy74
Senior Member
 
jeepguy74's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-14-06
Location: wellston (west of cadillac)
Posts: 2,861
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

yea i knew it was designed to be very mild but it even seams milder that a buddy's xl 600 and the problem i seam to have is it had a "flat spot" in the power its like it has power then a bogg then more powerjust seams like it is choked way down and i wann a open it up
...anyway thanks for the input
jeepguy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 12:56 PM   #4
chris1044
Senior Member
 
chris1044's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Lost in the mitten!
Posts: 2,022
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy74 View Post
yea i knew it was designed to be very mild but it even seams milder that a buddy's xl 600 and the problem i seam to have is it had a "flat spot" in the power its like it has power then a bogg then more powerjust seams like it is choked way down and i wann a open it up
...anyway thanks for the input
Is the bike "uncorked"?.....all the suggestions motor slut mentioned will make a corked bike (AKA Stock) bike come to life.....

And again, the bike won't ever be as snappy as a 450, but should prove to be far more reliable
chris1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #5
Motor Slut
I put the Ick in Dick.
 
Motor Slut's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: 49963
Posts: 2,411
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1044 View Post
Is the bike "uncorked"?.....all the suggestions motor slut mentioned will make a corked bike (AKA Stock) bike come to life.....

And again, the bike won't ever be as snappy as a 450, but should prove to be far more reliable
Yeah if the airbox and exhaust have stock mods then you probably have a jetting problem.
Motor Slut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #6
jeepguy74
Senior Member
 
jeepguy74's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-14-06
Location: wellston (west of cadillac)
Posts: 2,861
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

in no way do i want a 450.....
with that said this bike is stock and has less snap than a klx 300 that my buddy has (which is also stock) now with that said i am looking to make it a bit better and do it without spending thousands of dollars ......The bike had a dead spot in the motor "ie" it seams like it falls on its face in the lower mid range ....it also starts verry hard harder than any i have ever been on and i have ridden alot of bikes ..just want to know what to do and not waste moneyI want to know what people have done and what has worked..i know that a pipe and cam and ect but my question is "Which One"......i have built up alot of bikes but never a xr 600.......
jeepguy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 06:54 PM   #7
junk90xj
ALLPRO AUTO
 
junk90xj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: lansing
Posts: 4,558
iTrader: (47)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

sounds like you have a fuel issue that needs to be adressed before you start modding it. i have an 98 xr 600 and it rips pretty good. its nothing compared to my cr500 but i love the easy starts and reliablity.

the idle/slow jet may be a little gummed up making it hard to start and fumble in the low end. also verify float height is correct.
__________________
http://www.apalansing.com/
junk90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 11:21 PM   #8
jeepguy74
Senior Member
 
jeepguy74's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-14-06
Location: wellston (west of cadillac)
Posts: 2,861
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

how many turns out does that jet need to be set at??

i tried to start it today kicked it at least 15 times and nothing i tried with compression release pulled and without ...i mean you really have to kick the shat outa this thing specially if it hasnt been started in a while but once it been started it starts back up maybe 4 or 5 kicks...something like that
jeepguy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 11:27 AM   #9
Motor Slut
I put the Ick in Dick.
 
Motor Slut's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: 49963
Posts: 2,411
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy74 View Post
how many turns out does that jet need to be set at??

i tried to start it today kicked it at least 15 times and nothing i tried with compression release pulled and without ...i mean you really have to kick the shat outa this thing specially if it hasnt been started in a while but once it been started it starts back up maybe 4 or 5 kicks...something like that
Get a manual or call a dealer to get the specs on the carb settings. I would also do a compression check and clean the air filter if you haven't recently.

I would start basic and clean the carb, change the plug, and check for a cracked carb boot.
Motor Slut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 11:41 AM   #10
junk90xj
ALLPRO AUTO
 
junk90xj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: lansing
Posts: 4,558
iTrader: (47)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor Slut View Post
Get a manual or call a dealer to get the specs on the carb settings. I would also do a compression check and clean the air filter if you haven't recently.

I would start basic and clean the carb, change the plug, and check for a cracked carb boot.
great advise and thats what i would do.
__________________
http://www.apalansing.com/
junk90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 02:06 AM   #11
jeepguy74
Senior Member
 
jeepguy74's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-14-06
Location: wellston (west of cadillac)
Posts: 2,861
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

ok my carb has no idle screws on it ... only screw that i found is the idle ...where should i be looking cos i cant find one and i have worked on alot of bikes...also my valves are spot on on adjustment...i dunno maybe i have a different carb that some other bikes but i have never seen one without a idle air screw
jeepguy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 02:21 AM   #12
Ebs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: MI
Posts: 3,385
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

www.thumpertalk.com

If you're not on that bulliten board sign up, I bet there's a lot of XR guys that could set you up over there...or find what you're looking for searching thru the forums.

I can't be of any help, I've never wrenched on the 600's.
Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 12:31 AM   #13
Motor Slut
I put the Ick in Dick.
 
Motor Slut's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: 49963
Posts: 2,411
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy74 View Post
ok my carb has no idle screws on it ... only screw that i found is the idle ...where should i be looking cos i cant find one and i have worked on alot of bikes...also my valves are spot on on adjustment...i dunno maybe i have a different carb that some other bikes but i have never seen one without a idle air screw
Well from the Parts fiche it looks like the idle air screw is on the engine side of the carb on the bottom. It may have a brass plug covering it? I don't know what carb that is but it looks retarded so a modern FCR carb may be a good upgrade.
Motor Slut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 01:07 AM   #14
Toivo
Feel lucky?
 
Toivo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-24-06
Location: Denver
Posts: 5,148
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor Slut View Post
Well from the Parts fiche it looks like the idle air screw is on the engine side of the carb on the bottom. It may have a brass plug covering it? I don't know what carb that is but it looks retarded so a modern FCR carb may be a good upgrade.
Thats sorta how the YFZ's are. I bet that many other companies are just like that as well, seeing as how some carbs are the same from brand to brand.
Toivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Quads, Bikes, and Sleds

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.26079 seconds with 62 queries