"living fossil?" - Page 2 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old August 3rd, 2007, 04:51 PM   #21
FORD FLARESIDE
Someday, yeah Someday
 
FORD FLARESIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-09-06
Location: Comstock Park
Posts: 21,428
iTrader: (23)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
i don't "want to be an ape". I am a human being who believes he probably evolved from an ape. My evolved human mind seeks the answers to questions that I don't know and doesn't just blindly accept things that people with funny hats told me that happened a few thousand years ago.

so...who's the ape?
Have a and chill Mike, you know I'm not going to get into this debate.
I'm just havin some fun with my athiest friend. :tonka: :tonka: :tonka:

Actually its Friday, Have two
FORD FLARESIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:22 PM   #22
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,782
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD FLARESIDE View Post
Have a and chill Mike, you know I'm not going to get into this debate.
I'm just havin some fun with my athiest friend. :tonka: :tonka: :tonka:

Actually its Friday, Have two
well, agnostic, if you want to get exact. and thanks for the beer FF, I'll have 3! ;)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:58 PM   #23
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,685
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
it doesn't destroy the theory...humans evolved from apes, there are still apes.

any more brain busters?

btw, Kerwin, i saw a girl at the bar a few weeks ago with a tattoo very similar to your avatar. I asked her what it meant, she said it was a symbol for non-violence in some other culture or something. cool.
The fact that humans supposedly evolved from apes, yet apes remain unchanged, DOES present its challenges to evolution, you know it does. It does not completley undermind it, but it DOES challenge the theory.

So how exactly does a fish swim around for THREE HUNDRED MILLION years and never change? Scientists wanted to use the ceolocanth as the fish who died, the transitional one who lead to other species.

The fact of the matter is that it is NOT three hundred million years old, the dating records are a joke, and that fish was not a transitional species.

BTW, my avatar is from a group called One Truth and it is the hole in the hand of Jesus Christ. When Thomas was told that the risen Christ was walking the block, he said he would not believe he rose again until he put his finger through the hold in Jesus' hand. I love this symbol, and I have badged myself with it because I belong to Christ.
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:00 PM   #24
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,685
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFearMe View Post
Where is the proof that a lot of the things that Christians believe existed?


I never thought I would say this but....... I agree with Mike Sova. Good point Mike.
Hello? Is this thing on? What do you think the EVIDENCE presented in this thread is for?

I once agreed with Mike too, it happens every once ever three hundred million years.
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:02 PM   #25
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,685
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UP_ROKTOY View Post
Maybe that fish had no reason to further evolve?
C'mon..

Maybe not change for a few hundred years.

Maybe not for a few thousand years.

Maybe not for tens of thousands of years.

But not for hundreds of thousands of years.

Not for millions of years.

Not for tens of millions of years.

Not for hundreds of millions of years.

And SURELY not for THREE HUNDRED MILLIONS years.

Lets get honest guys.
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:08 PM   #26
FORD FLARESIDE
Someday, yeah Someday
 
FORD FLARESIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-09-06
Location: Comstock Park
Posts: 21,428
iTrader: (23)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
well, agnostic, if you want to get exact. and thanks for the beer FF, I'll have 3! ;)
No, I didn't stutter........you claim agnostic but your words are the same as an athiest................but that doesn't matter. Drink another for me.:tonka: :tonka: :tonka:
FORD FLARESIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:09 PM   #27
FORD FLARESIDE
Someday, yeah Someday
 
FORD FLARESIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-09-06
Location: Comstock Park
Posts: 21,428
iTrader: (23)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKerwin View Post
C'mon..

Maybe not change for a few hundred years.

Maybe not for a few thousand years.

Maybe not for tens of thousands of years.

But not for hundreds of thousands of years.

Not for millions of years.

Not for tens of millions of years.

Not for hundreds of millions of years.

And SURELY not for THREE HUNDRED MILLIONS years.

Lets get honest guys.
That truly is one ugly fish, I would evolve if I could and looked like that.
FORD FLARESIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #28
suepahfly
professional webwheeler
 
suepahfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-15-05
Location: Honor, MI
Posts: 199
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastbobby View Post
it seems like pet stores used to sell fish from south america that can live out of water for days and kind of walks. from what i remember, their natural habitat dries out during the summer, and they have to walk to different pools of water, or something like that. they are very aggressive. i think they averaged like 2 feet in length when full grown.

anyone know what i'm talking about cause i don't.
Snakeheads?
suepahfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 11:37 AM   #29
Buggy_Tim
(513) 891-8372
 
Buggy_Tim's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Sault Sainte Marie
Posts: 11,745
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
i don't "want to be an ape". I am a human being who believes he probably evolved from an ape. My evolved human mind seeks the answers to questions that I don't know and doesn't just blindly accept things that people with funny hats told me that happened a few thousand years ago.

so...who's the ape?
No, you would rather blindly accept things that people in funny coats tell you happened MILLIONS of years ago. Where is the transitional fossil? There isn't one. They go from "hey look at this ape".....then "hey look at this human, 2 arms, 2 legs, must be the same thing."...with no in between point. So you are saying at some point a small part of ape kind evolved into humans, millions of years ago, but at no point since that time millions of years ago did any other apes evolve into anything else. And in all the animals that ever existed, not a single other one evolved into anything higher thinking. Sure, some lost some fur, some gained some fur, but the animal still stayed an animal of the same type


Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD FLARESIDE View Post
That truly is one ugly fish, I would evolve if I could and looked like that.
Now that right there is funny.
Buggy_Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 01:50 PM   #30
Nizzy
Ass, The other vagina...
 
Nizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-30-07
Location: Detroit
Posts: 115
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I hate how evolution boils down to some one saying we evolved from apes... That is not the case in belief of evolution. We had evolved from a species of primate that was SIMILAR to apes, not apes themselves. And it didn't start with cavemen. The concept of Ape to Man, is just a shortening of the actual idea. Possibly once in a very distant past what we were and what they are are similar, but that time-frame would have to be pretty big. I would see more judgment in apes and men evolving from something else, that had lesser qualities. Who know, anyway... until they can prove evolution, it's just a belief. And unless they can prove religion, it's just an old form of government.

Now as far is the fish, if they have scientifically proven it's been around for 300 million years, thats quite an achievement. If you take a look sharks have been around for, fuck... I forgot how long, put it's pretty damn long. I think the argument that this animal they caught could be the product of it's own near final evolutionary state. Though either side of such an argument could be wrong or right, it's a very odd find.

Last edited by Nizzy; August 4th, 2007 at 01:56 PM.
Nizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 02:22 PM   #31
Buggy_Tim
(513) 891-8372
 
Buggy_Tim's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Sault Sainte Marie
Posts: 11,745
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizzy View Post
I think the argument that this animal they caught could be the product of it's own near final evolutionary state. Though either side of such an argument could be wrong or right, it's a very odd find.
But that's not what they are saying...they are saying "Look, it has things that are close to being legs, and that means they evolved to walk on land 300 million years ago."

So what...does that mean that then there were a few that just didn't want to walk on land and stopped half way through growing legs? There are many fish that have fins like that that they use to "stand" on the bottom of the ocean hiding.

You also talk about sharks, then have been around forever, but haven't changed much in the millions of years. What makes you think some things just decided to fly, or walk? What is the modern day equivalent of this fish on land?
Buggy_Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 02:30 PM   #32
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws View Post
What is the modern day equivalent of this fish on land?
christians.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 02:32 PM   #33
jthomp
Senior Member
 
jthomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-01-06
Location: Linden MI
Posts: 979
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

300M years? The earth is only thousands of years old the scientific method that is used to date fossils is based on a theory
jthomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 02:46 PM   #34
Buggy_Tim
(513) 891-8372
 
Buggy_Tim's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Sault Sainte Marie
Posts: 11,745
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
christians.
I thought we came from apes....now i'm confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomp View Post
the scientific method that is used to date fossils is based on a theory
x2
Buggy_Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 02:54 PM   #35
FORD FLARESIDE
Someday, yeah Someday
 
FORD FLARESIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-09-06
Location: Comstock Park
Posts: 21,428
iTrader: (23)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

Originally Posted by MuddyPaws
What is the modern day equivalent of this fish on land?


Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
christians.
this is kind of hilarious coming from a guy who's avitar shows him splashing around in a puddle of water like a large mouth bass.

Welcome Brother!!!!!
FORD FLARESIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #36
ScOoTeR
hoo dat. wat.
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,467
iTrader: (35)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

As far as why hasn't some animals changed and others have, IMHO, this "300 million year old" species of fish may have evolved up to this point for a reason. Whether it was to escape a predator in the water or chase food up on the shore, those legs proved to be a handy mutation at the time. Who's to say that some of the species kept evolving and moved onto land, while others could eke out a decent survival as how we find them today.

Honestly, if the idea of evolution is based on mutations that give one animal an advantage over the rest, why can't some animals have multiple stages co-exist? What about birds and lizards; birds were supposed to evolve from lizards, however, in this all-or-nothing way of thinking, lizards shouldn't exist today because they had to all evolve into birds. Sharks have not evolved because they didn't need to, nor did alligators/crocodiles; they are close to the perfect killing machines.

I think the same thing can be said for apes and humans: a mutation occurred that produced smarter apes, and those animals continues to evolve into homo sapiens. Just because the other apes didn't evolve in the same way does not mean they had to perish; there was plenty of territory, food and mates for them to continue to exist.

Honestly, take a look at Patrick Ewing or George Bush and claim we didn't come from apes.
__________________
@clarkstoncracker
ScOoTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 05:42 PM   #37
Buggy_Tim
(513) 891-8372
 
Buggy_Tim's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Sault Sainte Marie
Posts: 11,745
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

So humans evolved faster than anything else on the planet? This isn't a small mutation, it is a total re-work. It's not like it was a mutation that simply gave us a little less hair.

Evolutionists claim that the human race is 2,000,000 years old...yet they can not show any proof of man back that far. The oldest fossils that we can somewhat place in our own species is only 160,000 years old and even the science geeks can't agree on how old they really are. Some put them at 65,000 years, yet others put them at 200,000 years.

Sharks didn't need to evolve....well neither did apes then. They are still here, it's not like they all died off. So why did some evolve? Why did the only ones to evolve come from one spot on the planet? Why didn't other apes in other lands evolve into something else?
Buggy_Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #38
ScOoTeR
hoo dat. wat.
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,467
iTrader: (35)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws View Post
Why didn't other apes in other lands evolve into something else?
Why would they need to?
__________________
@clarkstoncracker
ScOoTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 07:38 PM   #39
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD FLARESIDE View Post
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws
What is the modern day equivalent of this fish on land?




this is kind of hilarious coming from a guy who's avitar shows him splashing around in a puddle of water like a large mouth bass.

Welcome Brother!!!!!
i am not a very good bass, almost drownded the jeep in that puddle at the dunes. guess my jeep must evolve a snorkle.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #40
Buggy_Tim
(513) 891-8372
 
Buggy_Tim's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Sault Sainte Marie
Posts: 11,745
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
Why would they need to?
Ok, why did they need to in the first place then?
Buggy_Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.29766 seconds with 80 queries