Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Spark knock?

841 views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  badazzamc 
#1 ·
My 1997 Dodge with a 360ci has been spark knocking . So I done a tune up . New plugs,wires,cap,rotor, And I still am hearing the spark knock!!! Ill be checking the timming in the morning.
Im just over the 217,600 miles I hoping for a few more years out of her......
Anything I may have forgotten?

#6 ·
are the wires routed exactly like they are from the factory? When a lot of people do "tune-ups" they re-route the wires and try to run all the wires together to look "pretty". This can sometimes cause a misfire through the wire, especially common on the older ford 351 motor, wires #5 and #6

#10 ·
I just 3 weeks ago done a 3 step fuel system flush that my shops use, I dont remember thae plug #s but there bosch platnums (sp) and new wires. The wires were reinstalled with the wire loom on the wires as well. Ill check the timming still.
And hello to all!!!! I have been lurking around, just not posting......

#11 ·
I don't know if they have the same problem on the 360, but in the 318 there is a problem with the plenum. It's the stamped steel plate under the intake. They lose their seal and cause a spark knock. There is an aftermarket replacement which is thicker and less prone to leaking.

#12 ·
the intake may be leaking. the easiest way to check is open the throttle body and see if there is oil in there, if there is the belly pan on the intake is leaking. this is a pretty common problem, and will cause spark knock. good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.