Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 11th, 2007, 02:07 PM   #201
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,683
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNBrew View Post
I wish God would write a new book. His old one is a bit dated. Maybe then he could answer these questions using modern examples, written in English. Rather than the old book which has been rewritten so many times in the last couple thousand years...who knows how much of it is actually what he intended us to believe.

He needs to get off his ass and start writing. This shit ain't gonna write itself.
The concepts are still applicable, and the Bible has not been re-written. You are speaking in pure ignorance. If you read the book or knew the facts, you would not say those things.
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 02:09 PM   #202
FrankNBrew
Me balls are huge
 
FrankNBrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Warren
Posts: 2,543
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKerwin View Post
The concepts are still applicable, and the Bible has not been re-written. You are speaking in pure ignorance. If you read the book or knew the facts, you would not say those things.
I sure as hell haven't wasted nearly as much time reading it as you have. So the Bible was originally written in English?
FrankNBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 02:21 PM   #203
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,683
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNBrew View Post
I sure as hell haven't wasted nearly as much time reading it as you have. So the Bible was originally written in English?
you said re-written, not translated. Do yourself a favor and google the dead sea scrolls and apply intellectual scrutiny to the matter.
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 02:45 PM   #204
FrankNBrew
Me balls are huge
 
FrankNBrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Warren
Posts: 2,543
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKerwin View Post
you said re-written, not translated. Do yourself a favor and google the dead sea scrolls and apply intellectual scrutiny to the matter.
A translation is rewriting...based on the translators interpretation of the original.

So it's the dead seas scrolls that were in English, right? IF not, who's Bible matches the dead sea scrolls verbatim? I'm guessing nobody's.
FrankNBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #205
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,683
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNBrew View Post
A translation is rewriting...based on the translators interpretation of the original.

So it's the dead seas scrolls that were in English, right? IF not, who's Bible matches the dead sea scrolls verbatim? I'm guessing nobody's.
So if you were typing in Spanish, should I discount your statements based purely on the fact that I would have to translate?

We have the scrolls in their ORIGINAL language. Translating from Greek or Hebrew is not rocket science. I can define ANY hebrew or greek word used in the Bible.

How is your point valid?
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 04:32 PM   #206
STOGIE
Speed Limit -186,000 fps
 
STOGIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-27-06
Location: Standish, MI
Posts: 1,540
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I think you guys need to go to the Strip club and Iron out your differences!

Last edited by STOGIE; July 11th, 2007 at 06:36 PM.
STOGIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 06:28 PM   #207
gofastbobby
The guy Dale doesn't know
 
gofastbobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-10-07
Location: kalamazoo, mi
Posts: 4,171
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNBrew View Post
I wish God would write a new book. His old one is a bit dated. Maybe then he could answer these questions using modern examples, written in English. Rather than the old book which has been rewritten so many times in the last couple thousand years...who knows how much of it is actually what he intended us to believe.

He needs to get off his ass and start writing. This shit ain't gonna write itself.

you may want to try picking up a nlt(new living translation) version of the bible. it is a much easier read than other versions for me.
gofastbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 07:46 AM   #208
FrankNBrew
Me balls are huge
 
FrankNBrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Warren
Posts: 2,543
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKerwin View Post
So if you were typing in Spanish, should I discount your statements based purely on the fact that I would have to translate?

We have the scrolls in their ORIGINAL language. Translating from Greek or Hebrew is not rocket science. I can define ANY hebrew or greek word used in the Bible.

How is your point valid?
The dead sea scrolls were written a long long time ago...in a different language...in a time when people spoke alot differently...when people beleived anything they were told (apparently some people still do). Trying to translate something that old with any chance for accuracy is slim. And proving that anything that was written has any truth to it is just as silly. How can you possibly invalidate my point?

Whichever cult leader (AKA preacher) brainwashed (preached to) you was pretty damn good. You really love to argue about this shit, when it's obvious to any non-brainwashed individuals how rediculous the whole concept is.
FrankNBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 08:46 AM   #209
Cerberus51
Mud Kicker
 
Cerberus51's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-10-07
Location: Traverse City, Michigan
Posts: 272
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STOGIE View Post
You missed one hellofa ride last week! FREE BEER, Naked girls, The smell of High Octane, burnt rubber, and stripper purfume filled the air!

There is a run in Columbus, OH coming up called the SMUT RUN! Interested in going...... One of my brothers started it a few years back.....and its off the hook of a good time! Wanna go?
I'm sure this has already been said but I wanna go to that ride.
Cerberus51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 10:55 AM   #210
STOGIE
Speed Limit -186,000 fps
 
STOGIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-27-06
Location: Standish, MI
Posts: 1,540
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus51 View Post
I'm sure this has already been said but I wanna go to that ride.

Lets Rock & Roll! Lets see if we can get a group together..... to ride down...... No Cars, No Trucks Allowed! This is a Motorcycle Event
STOGIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 11:35 AM   #211
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,683
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNBrew View Post
The dead sea scrolls were written a long long time ago...in a different language...in a time when people spoke alot differently...when people beleived anything they were told (apparently some people still do). Trying to translate something that old with any chance for accuracy is slim. And proving that anything that was written has any truth to it is just as silly. How can you possibly invalidate my point?

Whichever cult leader (AKA preacher) brainwashed (preached to) you was pretty damn good. You really love to argue about this shit, when it's obvious to any non-brainwashed individuals how rediculous the whole concept is.
What you don't understand is that the Bible is the same as it ever was. It never changed throughout time, it has always been what it has always been. People STILL speak Greek and there is no uncertainty of what the language means. if you are too ingorant to understand that greek can translate into english, then I cannot help you.

You know what, if I grew up as a follower of Christ, I just may consider your statements. I CHOSE to follow God as a nearly grown man, and if you cannot see intellectual reason in any of my statements, then you are the one with a brain problem.

If you were trying to discredit the Bible, you could have gone in a number of directions that carry at least SOME potential weight. Here is the thing, I am no dummy. I know that some may assume that my arguments are based out of need so that the foundation fo my life is not discredited thereby giving me no leg to stand on. As if I would manipulate truth to give myself something to believe in. Do you think I don't know that? Outside of any possible personal agenda, I know the Bible is not an abused literary piece. The only ACTUAL question is whether or not God penned it through man. If you think it was purely man's influence, then fine, that is your choice to believe that. But for you to say that I am a brainwashed idiot is unfounded and not based on any actual reasoning. You may accuse me of being too generous with my faith in God, but that is all you can say against me. But I allow me to remind you that you also are a man of faith. Before you sat in your chair you had faith it would hold you (you were unable to know 100% beforehand). You have faith in what you think our origins were, because you can't prove your side with pure fact either. We are in the same boat friend, and you know it, but our faith is in different things. But lets be certain on one thing, we are both men of faith, whether you like to be or not.
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 07:59 AM   #212
Cerberus51
Mud Kicker
 
Cerberus51's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-10-07
Location: Traverse City, Michigan
Posts: 272
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STOGIE View Post
Lets Rock & Roll! Lets see if we can get a group together..... to ride down...... No Cars, No Trucks Allowed! This is a Motorcycle Event
Would be coming all the way from northern michigan. Originally born and bread in Youngstown Ohio. That's a loong ride without throwing the bike in the back of the pickup.
Cerberus51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 08:03 AM   #213
Cerberus51
Mud Kicker
 
Cerberus51's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-10-07
Location: Traverse City, Michigan
Posts: 272
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus51 View Post
Would be coming all the way from northern michigan. Originally born and bread in Youngstown Ohio. That's a loong ride without throwing the bike in the back of the pickup.
much less on the crotch rocket breaking my shoulders and back in two.
Cerberus51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #214
STOGIE
Speed Limit -186,000 fps
 
STOGIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-27-06
Location: Standish, MI
Posts: 1,540
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus51 View Post
Would be coming all the way from northern michigan. Originally born and bread in Youngstown Ohio. That's a loong ride without throwing the bike in the back of the pickup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus51 View Post
Would be coming all the way from northern michigan. Originally born and bread in Youngstown Ohio. That's a loong ride without throwing the bike in the back of the pickup.
I just rode over 1000 miles along side a fella on a buell...... He didn't bitch once and he didn't have a pick-up for a back up!

The more you ride the more your body gets used to the bike and the positions.... The trick is to shift weight or take a break before you start getting sore..... even if it is for 5 minutes....

BTW Where are you in northern Michigan?
STOGIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 11:58 AM   #215
Naypalm[]Maker
steveo's alt...
 
Naypalm[]Maker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-15-07
Location: Davison
Posts: 822
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Rofl :stan3:
Naypalm[]Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 12:11 PM   #216
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,683
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naypalm[]Maker View Post
That's a good point NM. Strip clubs are like cats playing with yarn. The cat thinks the yarn is real and that the yard enjoys their exchange. Silly cat.
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 02:18 PM   #217
FrankNBrew
Me balls are huge
 
FrankNBrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Warren
Posts: 2,543
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKerwin View Post
What you don't understand is that the Bible is the same as it ever was. It never changed throughout time, it has always been what it has always been. People STILL speak Greek and there is no uncertainty of what the language means. if you are too ingorant to understand that greek can translate into english, then I cannot help you.

You know what, if I grew up as a follower of Christ, I just may consider your statements. I CHOSE to follow God as a nearly grown man, and if you cannot see intellectual reason in any of my statements, then you are the one with a brain problem.

If you were trying to discredit the Bible, you could have gone in a number of directions that carry at least SOME potential weight. Here is the thing, I am no dummy. I know that some may assume that my arguments are based out of need so that the foundation fo my life is not discredited thereby giving me no leg to stand on. As if I would manipulate truth to give myself something to believe in. Do you think I don't know that? Outside of any possible personal agenda, I know the Bible is not an abused literary piece. The only ACTUAL question is whether or not God penned it through man. If you think it was purely man's influence, then fine, that is your choice to believe that. But for you to say that I am a brainwashed idiot is unfounded and not based on any actual reasoning. You may accuse me of being too generous with my faith in God, but that is all you can say against me. But I allow me to remind you that you also are a man of faith. Before you sat in your chair you had faith it would hold you (you were unable to know 100% beforehand). You have faith in what you think our origins were, because you can't prove your side with pure fact either. We are in the same boat friend, and you know it, but our faith is in different things. But lets be certain on one thing, we are both men of faith, whether you like to be or not.

I never called you an idiot. I'm confident you are a smart guy. But Christian beliefs are very illogical and unlikey to be true.

Brainwashing is the process where someone is coerced into believing in something that is highly unlikely. That is the basis for most religions. Christianity brainwashes people into believing stuff that is extremly unlikely.

I have to have faith in chairs before I sit on them, especially since my fat ass has a greater probability of breaking one than most people. But once I sit down, and the chair holds me up, I know without a shadow of a doubt that the chair is for real, and it will hold. At that point the proof is concrete, and no longer can it be discredited.

If the chair was missing a leg, I would not sit on it. In my mind, Christianity is missing a leg or 2. Until I can see with my own eyes all 4 legs in tact I will never believe that it will hold.

Maybe I do have a brain problem...because to me religious teachings all sound like a bunch of tall tales with no concrete proof.
FrankNBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #218
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,683
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

To say Christianity is illogical without showing bad logic is... well... illogical.

You may be right in saying it is not 100% provable. To that degree you would be correct. But you don't know 100% that your chair will hold you either. You may trust your chair, but it may also weaken and let you down, down to the ground. Your belief about our origins requires faith, what if your faith is not the truth?

I propose that the story of Christ is far more likely to be true than it is to be false. The evidence for it is waaay more in favor of being true than anything else. If you want to have a discussion on this, then you can start one. But I don't like starting stuff like that because everyone says how I am taking a bible and forcing it down their throats. But I am pleased to respond to a question :)

I don't blame you Frank, because we are discussing things we cannot see, and things we cannot recreate. But like I said before, we are both men of faith, and there is logic and reason for faith in Jesus.
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 03:57 PM   #219
Cerberus51
Mud Kicker
 
Cerberus51's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-10-07
Location: Traverse City, Michigan
Posts: 272
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Traverse City man 500 miles north of Youngstown.
Cerberus51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 05:29 PM   #220
FrankNBrew
Me balls are huge
 
FrankNBrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Warren
Posts: 2,543
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKerwin View Post
To say Christianity is illogical without showing bad logic is... well... illogical.

You may be right in saying it is not 100% provable. To that degree you would be correct. But you don't know 100% that your chair will hold you either. You may trust your chair, but it may also weaken and let you down, down to the ground. Your belief about our origins requires faith, what if your faith is not the truth?

I propose that the story of Christ is far more likely to be true than it is to be false. The evidence for it is waaay more in favor of being true than anything else. If you want to have a discussion on this, then you can start one. But I don't like starting stuff like that because everyone says how I am taking a bible and forcing it down their throats. But I am pleased to respond to a question :)

I don't blame you Frank, because we are discussing things we cannot see, and things we cannot recreate. But like I said before, we are both men of faith, and there is logic and reason for faith in Jesus.
Examples of bad logic:

A higher power put one man and one woman on Earth, and all residents of Earth are descended from them.

Moses parted the sea.

Jusus was born from an immaculate conception.

Jesus fed the masses with one fish and one loaf of bread.

Jesus turned water into wine.

Jesus put mud on the eyes of a blind man and restored his vision.

Jesus died, and came back to life 3 days later.

If we believe in the Christian God we will go to a better place when we die. If not we go to a bad place. Which means the majority of the people on Earth will go to a bad place when they die.

All illogical.

Logical- Jesus was the David Blaine of his time. His feats of illusion made people believe he was a higher power, and the rumors spread from there. Next thing you know he's the son of God. He would probably laugh his ass of if he knew how far his story would go.
FrankNBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.30381 seconds with 50 queries