Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

New DD runs like crap... 93 Caprice 305

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  mrclean 
#1 ·
Check engine light is on (OBD1) and says it's related to low vaccum. Symptoms: start it up and it surges for about 5 seconds until it finally smooths out. Driving down the road you have to "2 foot it" because if you let off the gas, the car will want to stall. Always seems to start back up though unless it's warm, then you have to wait a couple minutes and it starts fine. Almost seems like it's not getting gas but when you look at the injectors shooting out it looks like it's flooding it out. I'm lost, any suggestions?

#2 ·
Maybe something to do with air intake? Something clogged?

Plugged catalytic converter? If you can get one of those temperture gun things just run it along the exhaust and if it goes from hot to cold at a certain spot then the really hot part is the clog.

I had a clogged cat though and my truck ran like complete crap, I could not rev it past about 3000 rpm's at all and it ran really rough and almost stalled a few times.

#3 ·
Well it finally broke down so I took it in to be looked at. Looks like it's the lower intake gasket that let go. Should hopefully have it running again today so we'll see if that's the problem.

#5 ·
:sonicjay: Actually I just did put some different wheels/tires on it but they're 15's. I bought the car for a DD because: 1. it was cheap 2. gas mileage is better than my ram. 3. You can't beat the ride of a caprice. :woot:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.