Is the Bunny a problum for you? - Page 7 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 4th, 2007, 01:27 PM   #121
deuce228
Redneck Poser
 
deuce228's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: West Branch, MI
Posts: 7,971
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

So, ostrasize your children from the joyous beliefs that thier friends will have because you found the presents when you were a kid? or because your parents didn't teach you of christ well enough?

Seems you could do both. First offer them Santa, then teach them of christ.
deuce228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old April 4th, 2007, 01:49 PM   #122
Miffy
Senior Member
 
Miffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: My home
Posts: 5,826
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Miffy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKerwin View Post
I was raised to believe in the santa, and later found it was not true. I was not appauled necessarily as a kid, but I was disturbed when my Mom acted like santa gave a present when I had already found it her closet three months prior. Now, I was raised as a Catholic, but we only went to church on occasion, and it was not a foundation in our lives. Here is the point: the greater tragedy is not that santa was fake, it was that I did not have an understanding of Christ. It was the end of the teen years that I finally heard the gospel, and the true loss is that I grew up as a kid without the truth.
I would say then your mom forgot to teach you that Santa is in everyone's heart. I taught my kids that he was real once and as years passed adults took over his job of bringing joy to all the children of the world on Christ's Birthday.

Easter the Bunny is a sigh of Spring and a re-birth just as Christ was re-born.

And as for you finding Christ in you later years thats Great for you and you know what your children will not totaly understand untill they are older also.

I am not putting you down for what you belive in. I am trying to speak for your Family you also that if you hide the eggs easter mornining and put some candy in some baskets to see your kids happy there is nothing wrong with that. Do you not read books to them that are fairytails? Same thing. I guess what I am saying it is all on how you explain it to a child you do not have to take away any joy that all of you can have.
Miffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #123
sglide
co captain of cubes pants
 
sglide's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-12-05
Location: kalkaska bitch
Posts: 4,117
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandman View Post
Here was are approach with the kids , Miff took care of teaching them of relgion . I took care to teach them to think for there selfs . 2 bieleve and 1 does not .

Put all the options on the table for the child to see , you Dave force your thoughts which to me is a way to mask the truth .
i spent alot of time with girls whos parents forced religon down there throats. guess what i put there instead:tonka:
sglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #124
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,693
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniJ View Post
Why is that a tragedy? the truth is only what you want it to be. not everyone believes that to be the truth, so it's not a tragedy. again, you're trying to tell everyone that the gospel is the only RIGHT thing. Jewish people use the Old Testament, but not the gospels... and that doesn't make their faith any less strong or wrong.

religious people have always had a "santa" of sorts--check out this site for some history, and traditions and you'll see how much "Santa" is intertwined with religion. He actually started out as a Saint, which, last time I checked, was a religious figure. So, there's perfectly good reasons to support your children believing in him. http://www.ponddoc.com/WhatsUpDoc/Ho...toryStNick.htm
You and everyone else can stop putting words in my mouth. I am not here preaching, nor I am here telling anyone they are going to hell, nor am I saying that I am the only right person, nor am I saying that the story of Christ is the only right thing. So stop making stuff up and stay back to the topic.

Well, I don't pray to saints, so there is not good reason to believe in santa, nor is there any good reason for anyone to believe in something that is known to be a lie (generally speaking, don't jump down my throat).
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #125
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,693
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce228 View Post
So, ostrasize your children from the joyous beliefs that thier friends will have because you found the presents when you were a kid? or because your parents didn't teach you of christ well enough?

Seems you could do both. First offer them Santa, then teach them of christ.
You know what, if a kid gets a gift on Christmas, I think the joy would be there regardless. I can see the tie in for gift giving at Christmas, because God gave his gift into the world. But eggs and bunnies at Easter, that is a huge stretch to me. Jesus was not re-born, that is for us to become. Jesus rose from the Dead. So if we killed bunnies and then make them alive again, I could get on board with that.

Sure, I could do both. And obviously Miffy has done well at doing both. But I won't. I teach it the way I wish it was taught to me. There was a LOT of confusion about the faith when we were kids, wasn't there? I won't fester the confusion. Who knows, maybe I will give my kids candy at Easter, but only because we are partying over the risen savior.

My extended family moves through the routines, and I am growing to despise our gatherings. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my family, talking with them, eating good food.. but to me, that stuff is all in vain. I have made attempts at offering a quick bible story during our gatherings, they are not intersted, because they are stuck in Jesus 's world. But eventhough they are not terribly concerned about the reason we are supposed to gather, they gather anyway. We might as well have a party on Kwanzaa, it would make equal sense.
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 02:24 PM   #126
sglide
co captain of cubes pants
 
sglide's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-12-05
Location: kalkaska bitch
Posts: 4,117
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
Personally, I am pretty much right in line with Sglide and Jesus . However, who cares? Thats the beauty of being american. We can believe whatever we want. If all of this is just people sharing opinions, fine. But some seem to take it way to seriously. Pretty soon we are going to end up with a GL4x4 holy war.:tonka:

hagar mongo and sglide in "holy war"
rated XXX
sglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 02:28 PM   #127
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,693
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Haggar's internet penis is 12"

I don't know if I will win that holy war. This site is trying to make me gay.
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 02:29 PM   #128
artistic_gore
I own @ halo
 
artistic_gore's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-05-06
Location: Granite Falls, WA
Posts: 1,128
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to artistic_gore
Default

Bring on teh BUTSEKS!!!1!
artistic_gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #129
deuce228
Redneck Poser
 
deuce228's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: West Branch, MI
Posts: 7,971
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKerwin View Post
You know what, if a kid gets a gift on Christmas, I think the joy would be there regardless. I can see the tie in for gift giving at Christmas, because God gave his gift into the world. But eggs and bunnies at Easter, that is a huge stretch to me. Jesus was not re-born, that is for us to become. Jesus rose from the Dead. So if we killed bunnies and then make them alive again, I could get on board with that.

Sure, I could do both. And obviously Miffy has done well at doing both. But I won't. I teach it the way I wish it was taught to me. There was a LOT of confusion about the faith when we were kids, wasn't there? I won't fester the confusion. Who knows, maybe I will give my kids candy at Easter, but only because we are partying over the risen savior.

My extended family moves through the routines, and I am growing to despise our gatherings. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my family, talking with them, eating good food.. but to me, that stuff is all in vain. I have made attempts at offering a quick bible story during our gatherings, they are not intersted, because they are stuck in Jesus 's world. But eventhough they are not terribly concerned about the reason we are supposed to gather, they gather anyway. We might as well have a party on Kwanzaa, it would make equal sense.
You have the right to any belief you want. The only part that I question in this is "I have made attempts at offering a quick bible story during our gatherings, they are not intersted, because they are stuck in Jesus 's world".

Look at that Dave. Your pissed at your family because they don't want a bible story. It doesn't matter their reason for it. Maybe they are bad christians, or maybe they aren't christians at all, but to be angry about that is a bit oppressive imo. You are critizing Jesus for his narrow views, but you must appreciate the fact that your views sound extremely narrow too.

Either way, bring on the Ham. I am celebrating spring.
deuce228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #130
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,737
iTrader: (57)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Its only 11", thank you very much. I wouldn't want to mislead.

Its just funny, you seem so dead set against something that the worlds been doing for centuries, even millenia. Easter bunnies, Easter Eggs, its always been a part.

Its the church who made these part of 'Easter' to legitimize it. So, if you aren't railing against it, you are really railing agianst your religion and how it came to be.


Ostara's Hare

The pagan origins of the Easter Bunny

Have you ever wondered where the celebration of the Christian holiday celebrating the resurrection of Christ acquired its unusual name and odd symbols of colored eggs and rabbits?

The answer lies in the ingenious way that the Christian church absorbed Pagan practices. After discovering that people were more reluctant to give up their holidays and festivals than their gods, they simply incorporated Pagan practices into Christian festivals. As recounted by the Venerable Bede, an early Christian writer, clever clerics copied Pagan practices and by doing so, made Christianity more palatable to pagan folk reluctant to give up their festivals for somber Christian practices.

In second century Europe, the predominate spring festival was a raucous Saxon fertility celebration in honor of the Saxon Goddess Eastre, whose sacred animal was a hare. The hare is often associated with moon goddesses; the egg and the haer together represent the god and the goddess, respectively.

Pagan fertility festivals at the time of the Spring equinox were common- it was believed that at this time, male and female energies were balanced.

The colored eggs are of another, even more ancient origin. The eggs associated with this and other Vernal festivals have been symbols of rebirth and fertility for so long the precise roots of the tradition are unknown, and may date to the beginning of human civilization. Ancient Romans and Greeks used eggs as symbols of fertility, rebirth, and abundance- eggs were solar symbols, and figured in the festivals of numerous resurrected gods.

Moving forward fifteen hundred years, we find ourselves in Germany, where children await the arrival of Oschter Haws, a rabbit who will lay colored eggs in nests to the delight of children. It was this German tradition that popularized the 'Easter bunny' in America, when introduced into the American cultural fabric by German settlers in Pennsylvania.

Many modern practitioners of Neo-pagan and earth-based religions have embraced these symbols as part of their religious practice, identifying with the life-affirming aspects of the spring holiday. (The Neopagan holiday of Ostara is descended from the Saxon festival.) Ironically, some Christian groups have used the presence of these symbols to denounce the celebration of the Easter holiday, and many churches have recently abandoned the Pagan moniker with more Christian oriented titles like 'Resurrection Sunday.'


So take a look at history, man. You want to say Easter is about Jesus, not the Easter bunny. No. Its always been about both.



If you want, next time I'm in Worms (we were there a few months ago), I can carry your list of grievances against the church and nail it to their door. The imperial cathedral is a nice place, there.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 03:08 PM   #131
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,693
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce228 View Post
Look at that Dave. Your pissed at your family because they don't want a bible story. It doesn't matter their reason for it. Maybe they are bad christians, or maybe they aren't christians at all, but to be angry about that is a bit oppressive imo. You are critizing Jesus for his narrow views, but you must appreciate the fact that your views sound extremely narrow too.

Either way, bring on the Ham. I am celebrating spring.
But for my family, like most of society, to celebrate Easter Sunday seems silly if they completely ignore Jesus' resurrection. That is like going to a cancer walk, but never start the walk. And then someone asks you why you are there, and you want to kill them. Doesn't line up.

I am critical of Jesus mostly because he is a jerk, thats pretty much the only reason.

Look dude, I know my views are narrow, I'm just throwing them out there for interesting discussion, there is no need to get all up in arms against me as if I am every hypocritical christian that has ever existed. I'm just one mad pup about the fake holiday gatherings I experience.

And real quick, since all kinds of assumptions have been made. I have no problem coloring eggs, its fun, but when a bunny takes the place of spotlight over the one who is due all praise and glory, I get all flustered.

Sometimes I just think that God looks down at us and slaps his forehead. I imagine him saying.. "What is up with the bunny? Get it together people. Remember the whole empty tomb thing?"
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #132
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,693
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
Its only 11"

If you want, next time I'm in Worms (we were there a few months ago), I can carry your list of grievances against the church and nail it to their door. The imperial cathedral is a nice place, there.
I guess you're hittin double digits all over the place. WPWP

Yeah, next time I am randomly there I will give that a try. I will call it Kerwin's 95 theses. You think it will do much?
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 03:14 PM   #133
sglide
co captain of cubes pants
 
sglide's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-12-05
Location: kalkaska bitch
Posts: 4,117
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKerwin View Post
But for my family, like most of society, to celebrate Easter Sunday seems silly if they completely ignore Jesus' resurrection. That is like going to a cancer walk, but never start the walk. And then someone asks you why you are there, and you want to kill them. Doesn't line up.

I am critical of Jesus mostly because he is a jerk, thats pretty much the only reason.

Look dude, I know my views are narrow, I'm just throwing them out there for interesting discussion, there is no need to get all up in arms against me as if I am every hypocritical christian that has ever existed. I'm just one mad pup about the fake holiday gatherings I experience.

And real quick, since all kinds of assumptions have been made. I have no problem coloring eggs, its fun, but when a bunny takes the place of spotlight over the one who is due all praise and glory, I get all flustered.

Sometimes I just think that God looks down at us and slaps his forehead. I imagine him saying.. "What is up with the bunny? Get it together people. Remember the whole empty tomb thing?"
your god must be a little cry tit puss if hes all power full and alknowing and the bunny would bother him.
you imposing your insucuritys onto your fictional beings.
sglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 03:16 PM   #134
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,737
iTrader: (57)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

I play a jerk online. Hopefully you do to. But I like to poke at churchies.


Its simply this: Just because YOU think its a fake tradition, doesn't make it so. Thats my problem with where you come form with these arguements. You are already concrete that you are right and we are morally adrift. You might not realize it, and you certainly don't admit it, but whenever you open mouth(via typing), you come off as holier-than-thou.

My, I know I come off as a jerk. Its rather carefully engineered, with the level of jerkiness regulated based on the topic. You shouldn't believe everything you read. :tonka:

It is the church that defined it. Who are you really mad at, then? When you say you don't think the easter bunny is what easter about....

Well, US society made it the norm, based on religious tradition.

So the church, the US, etc, we are all wrong and you are right?
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 03:18 PM   #135
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,737
iTrader: (57)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKerwin View Post
"What is up with the bunny? Get it together people. Remember the whole empty tomb thing?"
I remember. Its was so disappointing. Geraldo never receovered from that. All that buildup, thne it was empty. How sad.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 03:22 PM   #136
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,693
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sglide View Post
your god must be a little cry tit puss if hes all power full and alknowing and the bunny would bother him.
you imposing your insucuritys onto your fictional beings.
Let me repeat myself "I IMAGINE God saying" those things; I am not saying he said them.

Why don't you go have premarital sex with young church girls instead of talking about religion (you sure seem facinated with it). A hardcore guy like you should be bangin lots of chicks instead of talking about all this panzie religion stuff.
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 03:22 PM   #137
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,737
iTrader: (57)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKerwin View Post
Yeah, next time I am randomly there I will give that a try. I will call it Kerwin's 95 theses. You think it will do much?
Meh. Probably not. Luther was also obsessed with Feces, and often wrote of having poo-flinging fights with the Devil.

I've made a hobby of studying religions, and try to see as many sites of religious importance whenever I can. In July we spent some time at several of the major holy roman emprie cathredrals. Having read about the Imperial Diets at Worms, it was very interesting to visit. Stunning place, more interesting that the sister cahtedrals at Mainz and Speyer.

In december we got to visit some Early Christian Church sites from ~250AD under the classical roman empire. Very different.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #138
Mongo
.
 
Mongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-25-06
Location: Fenton
Posts: 8,045
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sglide View Post
Sometimes I just think that God looks down at us and slaps his forehead. I imagine him saying.. "What is up with the bunny? Get it together people. Remember the whole empty tomb thing?"
He should have made us smarter. Damn that free will.
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #139
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,737
iTrader: (57)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Funny thing, too.

Dunno, but on Easter, we usually go to church(catholic) with the wifes family. We give thanks before our meal. My parents give up things for lent, have little ash croses on their foreheads for ash wednesday.

I don't remember burning jesus effigies in front of a golden easter bunnny idol.


I didn't read some of your pages, but wow, looking at what you wrote a page or two back....wow man... I understand you a bit more now. Yikes.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #140
sglide
co captain of cubes pants
 
sglide's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-12-05
Location: kalkaska bitch
Posts: 4,117
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKerwin View Post
Let me repeat myself "I IMAGINE God saying" those things; I am not saying he said them.

Why don't you go have premarital sex with young church girls instead of talking about religion (you sure seem facinated with it). A hardcore guy like you should be bangin lots of chicks instead of talking about all this panzie religion stuff.
cuz i gotta have my kerwin time
and i am only nailin one hotty (shut up fuckers you cant prove anything ) my wife
sglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.41677 seconds with 81 queries