Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 4th, 2007, 10:27 AM   #81
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,557
iTrader: (54)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Posting on the sabbath.. tsk tsk..

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showpos...28&postcount=7
Haggar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 10:29 AM   #82
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,683
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
I think we should keep easter and christmas just like they are. Except for me, I enjoy spending time with the family and friends, and not going to church. Everyone has a great day and hangs out with the family.
So when you assemble on Easter, a Christian holiday, do you ever think of the reason? Do you celebrate other religious holidays that you don't believe in?
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 10:32 AM   #83
clarkstoncracker
lol
 
clarkstoncracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Location: OC - MI
Posts: 42,293
iTrader: (39)
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to clarkstoncracker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKerwin View Post
So when you assemble on Easter, a Christian holiday, do you ever think of the reason? Do you celebrate other religious holidays that you don't believe in?
Its just like a birthday. We show up and hang out and have dinner.

I'm not celebrating jesus when I go to visit my family, Even though some of them are. I'm really doing it for the honey baked ham
__________________
clarkstoncracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 10:34 AM   #84
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,557
iTrader: (54)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Dave,

Why is it called Easter?
Haggar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 10:35 AM   #85
deuce228
Redneck Poser
 
deuce228's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: West Branch, MI
Posts: 7,971
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

My only problem is someone having the arrogance enough to assume that what they believe is that much better than the next person. This goes for ANYTHING not just religion.

My aunt and uncle are raising their children in Africa. They are missionaries. They live in this community that has 10' fences because they are so hated by the locals that refuse to believe as they do despite the efforts of the church. I disagree with everything they are doing. I think it is rude for them to go uninvited to a region for force beliefs. This reminds me of what some ran from in England only to again do to the Natives when they landed here.

Seems the world if full of hypocrits.
deuce228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 10:39 AM   #86
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,683
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
The issue is that its a SECULAR holiday, too. You

The will of the masses is that Easter and Christmas are both religious and secular. If you don't like it, tough.
If someone wanted to remake Easter Sunday into something else, then go for it. But to assemble and get together with family and do nothing in the name of nothing just seems silly. If it's about worshipng the spring ground, then fine, make it about that. If all everyone wants is to see their family, then why do it on Easter Sunday compared to any other day? It just doesn't make sense to me.

BTW, your strong words make you a hate mongering, forceful, child hater. You hate mongerer!
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 10:41 AM   #87
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,683
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
I vote we have a meet and greet for a public stoning of Dave Kerwin.
Bring it AWN!
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 10:41 AM   #88
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,683
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
Its just like a birthday. We show up and hang out and have dinner.

I'm not celebrating jesus when I go to visit my family, Even though some of them are. I'm really doing it for the honey baked ham
Do you gather on other religious holidays you do not believe in?
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 10:42 AM   #89
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,683
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
Dave,

Why is it called Easter?
We've already covered that.

But why not get together with family on Kwanzaa? And if you are only about taking over a holiday, then give a name and some meaning. Get hip.
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 10:44 AM   #90
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,557
iTrader: (54)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce228 View Post
My only problem is someone having the arrogance enough to assume that what they believe is that much better than the next person. This goes for ANYTHING not just religion.

My aunt and uncle are raising their children in Africa. They are missionaries. They live in this community that has 10' fences because they are so hated by the locals that refuse to believe as they do despite the efforts of the church. I disagree with everything they are doing. I think it is rude for them to go uninvited to a region for force beliefs. This reminds me of what some ran from in England only to again do to the Natives when they landed here.

Seems the world if full of hypocrits.
Thats the way it works. They are happy when they convert our holidays into christian holidays. But if we convert their holiday into secular, they get their jesus underoos in a wad.

The whole history of the church is a power hungry cult doing what it needed to do to survive and keep the masses enthralled.

Look at my question above. Its called easter because that holiday is overlaid on top of pre-existing pagan feasting to Eostre, a pagan goddess.

It is typical of the church and its methods.

Letter from Pope Gregory regarding the then-pagan Anglo-Saxons:

"To his most beloved son, the Abbot Mellitus; Gregory, the servant of the servants of God. We have been much concerned, since the departure of our congregation that is with you, because we have received no account of the success of your journey. When, therefore, Almighty God shall bring you to the most reverend Bishop Augustine, our brother, tell him what I have, upon mature deliberation on the affair of the English, determined upon, viz., that the temples of the idols in that nation ought not to be destroyed; but let the idols that are in them be destroyed; let holy water be made and sprinkled in the said temples, let altars be erected, and relics placed. For if those temples are well built, it is requisite that they be converted from the worship of devils to the service of the true God; that the nation, seeing that their temples are not destroyed, may remove error from their hearts, and knowing and adoring the true God, may the more familiarly resort to the places to which they have been accustomed. And because they have been used to slaughter many oxen in the sacrifices to devils, some solemnity must be exchanged for them on this account, as that on the day of the dedication, or the nativities of the holy martyrs, whose relics are there deposited, they may build themselves huts of the boughs of trees, about those churches which have been turned to that use from temples, and celebrate the solemnity with religious feasting, and no more offer beasts to the Devil, but kill cattle to the praise of God in their eating, and return thanks to the Giver of all things for their sustenance; to the end that, whilst some gratifications are outwardly permitted them, they may the more easily consent to the inward consolations of the grace of God. For there is no doubt that it is impossible to efface everything at once from their obdurate minds; because he who endeavours to ascend to the highest place, rises by degrees or steps, and not by leaps. Thus the Lord made Himself known to the people of Israel in Egypt; and yet He allowed them the use of the sacrifices which they were wont to offer to the Devil, in his own worship; so as to command them in his sacrifice to kill beasts, to the end that, changing their hearts, they might lay aside one part of the sacrifice, whilst they retained another; that whilst they offered the same beasts which they were wont to offer, they should offer them to God, and not to idols; and thus they would no longer be the same sacrifices. This it behooves your affection to communicate to our aforesaid brother, that he, being there present, may consider how he is to order all things. God preserve you in safety, most beloved son".

Through history, the direction has always been to pervert existing peoples beleifs into getting them to beleive in the church.
Haggar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 10:51 AM   #91
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,683
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce228 View Post
My only problem is someone having the arrogance enough to assume that what they believe is that much better than the next person. This goes for ANYTHING not just religion.

My aunt and uncle are raising their children in Africa. They are missionaries. They live in this community that has 10' fences because they are so hated by the locals that refuse to believe as they do despite the efforts of the church. I disagree with everything they are doing. I think it is rude for them to go uninvited to a region for force beliefs. This reminds me of what some ran from in England only to again do to the Natives when they landed here.

Seems the world if full of hypocrits.
Scott, how about this: If I have told you that you are a bad person, or that I am better than you, please correct me. Nuff said?

I understand you are frustrated with the way things are done, well join the club. But with all due respect, you are entering into a discussion about the proper place of the Easter bunny on a Christian holiday. What exactly did you expect to read about?
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 10:51 AM   #92
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,557
iTrader: (54)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKerwin View Post
We've already covered that.

Get hip.
See, thats whats funny about you. It was never covered anywhere in the thread. You try to brush aside when people make sense.

You are talking about 'christian' holiday thats named after a pagan goddess.
Haggar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 10:54 AM   #93
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,557
iTrader: (54)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKerwin View Post
Scott, how about this: If I have told you that you are a bad person, or that I am better than you, please correct me. Nuff said?

I understand you are frustrated with the way things are done, well join the club. But with all due respect, you are entering into a discussion about the proper place of the Easter bunny on a Christian holiday. What exactly did you expect to read about?
You know what would be funny as hell, sit you and a Jehovah's witness down to discuss this.
Haggar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 11:00 AM   #94
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,683
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
Letter from Pope Gregory regarding the then-pagan Anglo-Saxons:

"To his most beloved son, the Abbot Mellitus; Gregory, the servant of the servants of God. We have been much concerned, since the departure of our congregation that is with you, because we have received no account of the success of your journey. When, therefore, Almighty God shall bring you to the most reverend Bishop Augustine, our brother, tell him what I have, upon mature deliberation on the affair of the English, determined upon, viz., that the temples of the idols in that nation ought not to be destroyed; but let the idols that are in them be destroyed; let holy water be made and sprinkled in the said temples, let altars be erected, and relics placed. For if those temples are well built, it is requisite that they be converted from the worship of devils to the service of the true God; that the nation, seeing that their temples are not destroyed, may remove error from their hearts, and knowing and adoring the true God, may the more familiarly resort to the places to which they have been accustomed. And because they have been used to slaughter many oxen in the sacrifices to devils, some solemnity must be exchanged for them on this account, as that on the day of the dedication, or the nativities of the holy martyrs, whose relics are there deposited, they may build themselves huts of the boughs of trees, about those churches which have been turned to that use from temples, and celebrate the solemnity with religious feasting, and no more offer beasts to the Devil, but kill cattle to the praise of God in their eating, and return thanks to the Giver of all things for their sustenance; to the end that, whilst some gratifications are outwardly permitted them, they may the more easily consent to the inward consolations of the grace of God. For there is no doubt that it is impossible to efface everything at once from their obdurate minds; because he who endeavours to ascend to the highest place, rises by degrees or steps, and not by leaps. Thus the Lord made Himself known to the people of Israel in Egypt; and yet He allowed them the use of the sacrifices which they were wont to offer to the Devil, in his own worship; so as to command them in his sacrifice to kill beasts, to the end that, changing their hearts, they might lay aside one part of the sacrifice, whilst they retained another; that whilst they offered the same beasts which they were wont to offer, they should offer them to God, and not to idols; and thus they would no longer be the same sacrifices. This it behooves your affection to communicate to our aforesaid brother, that he, being there present, may consider how he is to order all things. God preserve you in safety, most beloved son".
we can't trust that, it was written by man, translated by drunk monks, and then lost in history. bunch of balogne by dead dudes.
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 11:00 AM   #95
deuce228
Redneck Poser
 
deuce228's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: West Branch, MI
Posts: 7,971
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I expected to see Sue upset about the bunny picture.

I seen you pissed about the Bunny being a false Idol.

I pointed out that to some, that your God is a false Idol.
deuce228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 11:01 AM   #96
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,683
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
See, thats whats funny about you. It was never covered anywhere in the thread. You try to brush aside when people make sense.

You are talking about 'christian' holiday thats named after a pagan goddess.
We have already covered the fact that Easter was formerly a different holiday. What exactly did I miss? Do you suppose I am ignorant of its roots? I have already said that I cannot control the date that it is celebrated, I did not make that choice. But the point to me, is that we don't mask Jesus with a bunny head.
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 11:02 AM   #97
Mongo
.
 
Mongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-25-06
Location: Fenton
Posts: 8,042
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Seems we have 2 choices.

1. Compramise.








2. Celbrity Death Match
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 11:02 AM   #98
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,683
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
You know what would be funny as hell, sit you and a Jehovah's witness down to discuss this.
I have had MANY a discussion with the door knockers. Lets have a meet and greet, you throw the first stone as I am talking to a JW.
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 11:04 AM   #99
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,557
iTrader: (54)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKerwin View Post
we can't trust that, it was written by man, translated by drunk monks, and then lost in history. bunch of balogne by dead dudes.
Kerwin's Creedo.
Haggar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 11:06 AM   #100
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,683
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
Kerwin's Creedo.
Hey, just using most people's viewpoints the same way they do.
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.26528 seconds with 51 queries