Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Tow rigs and trailers
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino







Search
View Poll Results: Jeep Trailer Materials & Styles
Aluminum with aluminum deck (R&R style, like BDR) 5 14.29%
Steel with open steel deck 3 8.57%
Steel with full steel deck 6 17.14%
Steel with wood deck 16 45.71%
Steel with wood tilting deck 2 5.71%
Steel with steel tilting deck 2 5.71%
Other (explain) \ kick Cube in the junk 5 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 23rd, 2006, 06:43 PM   #1
DuffMan
Your Message Here
 
DuffMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: The Ile of Grosse
Posts: 5,836
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Trailer Poll

What would the best Jeep trailer be?

Last edited by DuffMan; January 23rd, 2006 at 06:46 PM.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 06:49 PM   #2
brimy311
Smells like a Fork Liftis
 
brimy311's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Kzoo, mi
Posts: 4,092
iTrader: (42)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to brimy311
Default

I prefer wood decks. They are not 1 million degrees in the summer, and not loud when moving chains and straps around.
__________________
JcrOffroad.com
Like us on Faceook!
brimy311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 07:12 PM   #3
Yetti
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
 
Yetti's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: 20 minutes south of Hell...
Posts: 14,383
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

I had an Owens Classic that was all steel and it had a diamond plate deck. it was nice, but heavy. the reason I came to own it was because the hitch/surge brake ripped off under a load. it passed the tow vehicle whith a customers car on it...not good.
__________________
Yetti
Yetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 08:53 PM   #4
Mclovin
"The Situation"
 
Mclovin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Westland, Mi
Posts: 14,392
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Mclovin Send a message via Yahoo to Mclovin
Default

At 1st i wanted a Steal steal deck. but im hearing better and better tings about a wood deck. so i would say get a 16' with a 2' beaver tail. seems to be most popular. After looking at brimys build up id say have him build it !
Mclovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 08:57 PM   #5
Big Daddy Rubicon
There watching me! (.)(.)
 
Big Daddy Rubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Concord NC
Posts: 11,454
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Well you know what I have right now and love the way it tows. I have had all steel ones too and very heavy, keeping the paint looking good apia. The one with the wood deck, I hated then it got wet it stayed wet for some time and replacing boards every few years. I have had a few trailer enclosed and open, I like the light aluminum type. No painting, no rust, most always looks good, very easy to pull, but they do cost a little more too. Just my .02
__________________
So I'm a asshole, so what!:finger:

[QUOTE=a.j. hall;1528363]
I will race BDR in my car......and lose.
[/QUOTE]
Big Daddy Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 08:20 AM   #6
CreativeFab
used to be Ironman
 
CreativeFab's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-01-05
Location: midland
Posts: 3,208
iTrader: (35)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I prefer enclosed trailers, I can travel with the top off on the Jeep and not worry about the weather. It also provides a dry warm place to stay when you get there!
You can haul all kinds of crap with you and it stays clean and dry and allows for great storage when it sits in the yard at home. Lots of pro's not many con's, at least for me anyways. I also use it for other trips besides wheeling, it went to Montana this fall for an Elk hunting trip. So enclosed trailers can be multi-purpose.

I also have a wood decked 16' flatbed that I use for one day trips, but I have to put the top back on the Jeep to use it. I HATE HAVING THE TOP ON!

Last edited by CreativeFab; January 24th, 2006 at 08:24 AM.
CreativeFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 12:28 PM   #7
One Arm Steve
I was born in the desert
 
One Arm Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-20-05
Location: Harrison
Posts: 1,719
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman
I prefer enclosed trailers, I can travel with the top off on the Jeep and not worry about the weather. It also provides a dry warm place to stay when you get there!
You can haul all kinds of crap with you and it stays clean and dry and allows for great storage when it sits in the yard at home. Lots of pro's not many con's, at least for me anyways. I also use it for other trips besides wheeling, it went to Montana this fall for an Elk hunting trip. So enclosed trailers can be multi-purpose.

I also have a wood decked 16' flatbed that I use for one day trips, but I have to put the top back on the Jeep to use it. I HATE HAVING THE TOP ON!
Enclosed is the way to go if you can fit the Jeep in. It would be nice to have s small work station inside with lots of tools, a generator and a compressor. My dream trailer would have sleeping quarters as well.
One Arm Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 09:13 AM   #8
Mclovin
"The Situation"
 
Mclovin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Westland, Mi
Posts: 14,392
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Mclovin Send a message via Yahoo to Mclovin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Arm Steve
Enclosed is the way to go if you can fit the Jeep in. It would be nice to have s small work station inside with lots of tools, a generator and a compressor. My dream trailer would have sleeping quarters as well.
Just get one of them Big ol' nascar rigs.. you'll be able to have a hoist in it if you want. Full living quarters. and a nice lil shop, you'll be the envy of all the wheelers !
Mclovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 10:05 PM   #9
CreativeFab
used to be Ironman
 
CreativeFab's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-01-05
Location: midland
Posts: 3,208
iTrader: (35)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddinguy
Just get one of them Big ol' nascar rigs.. you'll be able to have a hoist in it if you want. Full living quarters. and a nice lil shop, you'll be the envy of all the wheelers !
Mine has living quarters in it, minus the inside shower and crapper, and the overhang on the goosneck has a king size bed. I carry a portable compressor but would like to plumb it in and mount it permanently. Not quite a Nascar trailer, those are the big $$$$.
CreativeFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 10:41 PM   #10
Mclovin
"The Situation"
 
Mclovin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Westland, Mi
Posts: 14,392
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Mclovin Send a message via Yahoo to Mclovin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman
Mine has living quarters in it, minus the inside shower and crapper, and the overhang on the goosneck has a king size bed. I carry a portable compressor but would like to plumb it in and mount it permanently. Not quite a Nascar trailer, those are the big $$$$.
Damn dude !! preatty F*ckin close !
Mclovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 10:53 PM   #11
Big Daddy Rubicon
There watching me! (.)(.)
 
Big Daddy Rubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Concord NC
Posts: 11,454
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I've seen Iornmans and it is a nice set up!
__________________
So I'm a asshole, so what!:finger:

[QUOTE=a.j. hall;1528363]
I will race BDR in my car......and lose.
[/QUOTE]
Big Daddy Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 08:29 PM   #12
CHVYPWR
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
 
CHVYPWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Vicksburg, Mi.
Posts: 1,620
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

What, no tow dolley option??? I must be the only one
CHVYPWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Tow rigs and trailers
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.14101 seconds with 35 queries