Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Site comments, issues, or suggestions and announcements
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 27th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #1
wjwerdna
Toy'ota
 
wjwerdna's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-08-07
Location: Detroit/Novi/South Lyon, MI
Posts: 62
iTrader: (0)
Firefox Search Engine Drop-Down Plug-In for GL

Quote:
edit: not working for some? worked fine for me :)


using info from here

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs...ns_for_Firefox

and then finding two sites that do it automatically for you

I sorta came up with xml data like this
Code:
<OpenSearchDescription>
<ShortName>GL 4x4</ShortName>
<Description>GL 4x4</Description>
<Tags></Tags>
<Url type="text/html" method="GET" template="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&c2coff=1&q={searchTerms}+site%3Awww.yotatech.com&btnG=Search&src={referrer:source?}"/>
<InputEncoding>UTF-8</InputEncoding>
<AdultContent>false</AdultContent>
</OpenSearchDescription>
so from this site:
http://searchy.protecus.de/en/search...hp?sort=newest

It put it all together for me, you can search for "GL 4x4", click download, and it will automatically install into firefox... maybe IE7 too?

It seems to work fine, and is quicker than me typing into google all the time

Last edited by wjwerdna; February 27th, 2007 at 10:12 PM.
wjwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #2
clarkstoncracker
lol
 
clarkstoncracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Location: OC - MI
Posts: 41,966
iTrader: (39)
Send a message via AIM to clarkstoncracker
This seems like it would be good, except I can't find what your telling me I will on that website.

edit:
I got it to work. How does this differ from using the search function built into gl4x4?
__________________
clarkstoncracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 10:02 PM   #3
Toivo
Feel lucky?
 
Toivo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-24-06
Location: Waterford/Union Lake
Posts: 5,138
iTrader: (13)
what does all this geek speak mean?
Toivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #4
wjwerdna
Toy'ota
 
wjwerdna's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-08-07
Location: Detroit/Novi/South Lyon, MI
Posts: 62
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
How does this differ from using the search function built into gl4x4?
I'm used to googles manner of searching for terms and phrases, so for me at least it works a lot better, I can never seem to find really relevant posts with forum search engines... plus you can search starting from anywhere, even if not on GL... so i guess it comes down to laziness
wjwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #5
sodapop
Support the Sport!
 
sodapop's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-11-05
Location: Harrison Twp, MI
Posts: 2,016
iTrader: (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjwerdna View Post
using info from here

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs...ns_for_Firefox

and then finding two sites that do it automatically for you

I sorta came up with xml data like this
Code:
<OpenSearchDescription>
<ShortName>GL 4x4</ShortName>
<Description>GL 4x4</Description>
<Tags></Tags>
<Url type="text/html" method="GET" template="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&c2coff=1&q={searchTerms}+site%3Awww.yotatech.com&btnG=Search&src={referrer:source?}"/>
<InputEncoding>UTF-8</InputEncoding>
<AdultContent>false</AdultContent>
</OpenSearchDescription>
so from this site:
http://searchy.protecus.de/en/search...hp?sort=newest

It put it all together for me, you can search for "GL 4x4", click download, and it will automatically install into firefox... maybe IE7 too?

It seems to work fine, and is quicker than me typing into google all the time
I couldn't get it to work for me. i tried creating one for pirate4x4.com and no luck
sodapop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 10:10 PM   #6
sodapop
Support the Sport!
 
sodapop's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-11-05
Location: Harrison Twp, MI
Posts: 2,016
iTrader: (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
edit:
I got it to work. How does this differ from using the search function built into gl4x4?
it would be nice for non red-star users of pirate4x4, but I can't get it to work.
sodapop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 10:20 AM   #7
clarkstoncracker
lol
 
clarkstoncracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Location: OC - MI
Posts: 41,966
iTrader: (39)
Send a message via AIM to clarkstoncracker
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjwerdna View Post
I'm used to googles manner of searching for terms and phrases, so for me at least it works a lot better, I can never seem to find really relevant posts with forum search engines... plus you can search starting from anywhere, even if not on GL... so i guess it comes down to laziness
google has only crawled 60% of the pages here.
__________________
clarkstoncracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 10:40 AM   #8
PavementPounder
I am the law.
 
PavementPounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Birmingham, Michigan 48009
Posts: 29,824
iTrader: (224)
So this would use Google to search greatlakes4x4.com specifically? I like that idea since 3-character searches would then be possible.

Would this eliminate or alleviate the need for the nightly indexing?
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:44 AM   #9
clarkstoncracker
lol
 
clarkstoncracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Location: OC - MI
Posts: 41,966
iTrader: (39)
Send a message via AIM to clarkstoncracker
Quote:
Originally Posted by PavementPounder View Post
So this would use Google to search greatlakes4x4.com specifically? I like that idea since 3-character searches would then be possible.

Would this eliminate or alleviate the need for the nightly indexing?
why the hell would anyone use a search engine that only covers half of the site?

And the 3 letter word deal is your issue. You caused it, since 1/1000 searches didn't work properly until I went to SQL based searches
__________________
clarkstoncracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:48 AM   #10
Stan
I got a gold chain
 
Stan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Shelby Twp.
Posts: 15,616
iTrader: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
why the hell would anyone use a search engine that only covers half of the site?

And the 3 letter word deal is your issue. You caused it, since 1/1000 searches didn't work properly until I went to SQL based searches
:tonka: :tonka:
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:20 PM   #11
PavementPounder
I am the law.
 
PavementPounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Birmingham, Michigan 48009
Posts: 29,824
iTrader: (224)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
why the hell would anyone use a search engine that only covers half of the site?

And the 3 letter word deal is your issue. You caused it, since 1/1000 searches didn't work properly until I went to SQL based searches
Because it'll probably generate more hits than the f'd up SQL search that you tried to fix unsuccessfully (because you didn't know how to) and it still doesn't work right. IIRC, an Admin was complaining, too.


If its my issue, I'll fix it. Give me Admin access. :tonka:
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 03:10 PM   #12
clarkstoncracker
lol
 
clarkstoncracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Location: OC - MI
Posts: 41,966
iTrader: (39)
Send a message via AIM to clarkstoncracker
Quote:
Originally Posted by PavementPounder View Post

If its my issue, I'll fix it. Give me Admin access. :tonka:
no, you don't know sql. The problem has to be solved by someone smart, like biobill.
__________________
clarkstoncracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 03:15 PM   #13
PavementPounder
I am the law.
 
PavementPounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Birmingham, Michigan 48009
Posts: 29,824
iTrader: (224)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
no, you don't know sql. The problem has to be solved by someone smart, like biobill.
Oh, come on. I'm sure its just like playing Guitar Hero for the first time. It wouldn't get any worse than it is now. :tonka:
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #14
clarkstoncracker
lol
 
clarkstoncracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Location: OC - MI
Posts: 41,966
iTrader: (39)
Send a message via AIM to clarkstoncracker
Quote:
Originally Posted by PavementPounder View Post
Oh, come on. I'm sure its just like playing Guitar Hero for the first time. It wouldn't get any worse than it is now. :tonka:
:chiefwoohaw:
__________________
clarkstoncracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 03:52 PM   #15
deuce228
Redneck Poser
 
deuce228's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: West Branch, MI
Posts: 7,971
iTrader: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
someone smart, like biobill.
Just had to recap on that.
deuce228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Site comments, issues, or suggestions and announcements
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.17452 seconds with 40 queries