Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 27th, 2007, 08:16 AM   #1
clarkstoncracker
lol
 
clarkstoncracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Location: OC - MI
Posts: 42,293
iTrader: (39)
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to clarkstoncracker
Default Al Gore's electric bill data. :tonka:

http://drudgereport.com/flash.htm

He should practice what he preaches

The Tennessee Center for Policy Research, an independent, nonprofit and nonpartisan research organization, issued a press release late Monday:

Last night, Al Gore’s global-warming documentary, An Inconvenient Truth, collected an Oscar for best documentary feature, but the Tennessee Center for Policy Research has found that Gore deserves a gold statue for hypocrisy.

Gore’s mansion, [20-room, eight-bathroom] located in the posh Belle Meade area of Nashville, consumes more electricity every month than the average American household uses in an entire year, according to the Nashville Electric Service (NES).

In his documentary, the former Vice President calls on Americans to conserve energy by reducing electricity consumption at home.

The average household in America consumes 10,656 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per year, according to the Department of Energy. In 2006, Gore devoured nearly 221,000 kWh—more than 20 times the national average.

Last August alone, Gore burned through 22,619 kWh—guzzling more than twice the electricity in one month than an average American family uses in an entire year. As a result of his energy consumption, Gore’s average monthly electric bill topped $1,359.

Since the release of An Inconvenient Truth, Gore’s energy consumption has increased from an average of 16,200 kWh per month in 2005, to 18,400 kWh per month in 2006.

Gore’s extravagant energy use does not stop at his electric bill. Natural gas bills for Gore’s mansion and guest house averaged $1,080 per month last year.

“As the spokesman of choice for the global warming movement, Al Gore has to be willing to walk to walk, not just talk the talk, when it comes to home energy use,” said Tennessee Center for Policy Research President Drew Johnson.

In total, Gore paid nearly $30,000 in combined electricity and natural gas bills for his Nashville estate in 2006.
__________________
clarkstoncracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 08:18 AM   #2
cornfed
I have an avatar. Yippee.
 
cornfed's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Happy Funtown U.S.A.
Posts: 4,106
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default



:tonka:
cornfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 08:28 AM   #3
Buggy_Tim
(513) 891-8372
 
Buggy_Tim's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Sault Sainte Marie
Posts: 11,717
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Buggy_Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 08:46 AM   #4
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,760
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2007/0...cord-straight/

please watch this. thank you. come again.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 08:08 PM   #5
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,400
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
http://www.crooksandliars.com/2007/0...cord-straight/

please watch this. thank you. come again.
And nothing he said refutes the fact that the person who got an oscar for telling everyone about global warming is using energy at a rate way higher than the average American.

So he has a 20 room mansion? Why is that justification to burn 20 times the energy of the average household? What the hell does he need 20 rooms for? It's just him and his wife right? So how many rooms does a typical large house have? maybe 8? OK add 2 each for both of their offices and security. I'm still only up to 14. Part of the reason we in America use so much more energy that the rest of the world is that we typically have bigger houses. Apperently Gore doesn't have a problem with that.

And so what about him paying extra for "green energy". Does that mean that if you're rich and can afford to pay extra it's OK to use as much as you want? Still not setting any type of an example for the rest of the country, who are expected to conserve.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 08:13 PM   #6
BMFmike
meh.
 
BMFmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Grand Haven
Posts: 7,816
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

I was so happy to have sova and chiefcumdumpster on ignore list, but you had to quote him didnt you brewmann?

That video really proves a good point sova! That he still is burning a shit load of energy!

Thanks come again!
BMFmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 05:47 AM   #7
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,760
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

yeah, that isn't coming from burning hydrocarbons...he's getting a lot of his energy from windmills. using energy from windmills isn't hurting the environment. sheesh. there was a point to it. he has a lot of money. what do people do when they have a lot of money, buy nice things, like houses with 20 rooms.

plus i don't know how accurate that report was, based on the source. The group has been shown as not being credible.

Last edited by mikesova; March 1st, 2007 at 05:52 AM.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 06:25 AM   #8
Rattler
Home Sweet Homicide
 
Rattler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-17-06
Location: Bei City
Posts: 3,648
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

So your saying we should all pay 4x what we are now for power like Al-hole?
Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 10:41 AM   #9
3-foot
Senior Member
 
3-foot's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-21-06
Location: Springfield Township, Mi
Posts: 1,111
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
yeah, that isn't coming from burning hydrocarbons...he's getting a lot of his energy from windmills. using energy from windmills isn't hurting the environment.
Energy that could have been used for 20 other homes instead of 1. Twenty homes running on windmills sounds better than one to me. This argument makes no sense.

Al is a first class hypocrite.
3-foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 10:57 AM   #10
tonybalido
Loser4Life
 
tonybalido's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-26-06
Location: Travis AFB
Posts: 475
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to tonybalido Send a message via MSN to tonybalido
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-foot View Post
Energy that could have been used for 20 other homes instead of 1. Twenty homes running on windmills sounds better than one to me. This argument makes no sense.

Al is a first class hypocrite.
you're calling him a hypocrite cuz he has can afford to maintain a large home using energy whose origins aren't harmful to the environment. YOUR argument makes no sense.
tonybalido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 11:12 AM   #11
cornfed
I have an avatar. Yippee.
 
cornfed's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Happy Funtown U.S.A.
Posts: 4,106
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybalido View Post
you're calling him a hypocrite cuz he has can afford to maintain a large home using energy whose origins aren't harmful to the environment. YOUR argument makes no sense.
It's somewhat amusing knowing that many of Al's constituents oppose windmill energy because they believe it is harmful to the environment and migratory birds, which in some opinions would make Al the Savior of Earth a hypocrite.

If he's using green energy from another source, it would be interesting to see if that source requires more input energy to create the output energy.

Where is the opinion of our GL4x4 Lansing-area power farmers?
cornfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 11:36 AM   #12
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,560
iTrader: (54)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfed View Post
It's somewhat amusing knowing that many of Al's constituents oppose windmill energy because they believe it is harmful to the environment and migratory birds, which in some opinions would make Al the Savior of Earth a hypocrite.

If he's using green energy from another source, it would be interesting to see if that source requires more input energy to create the output energy.

Where is the opinion of our GL4x4 Lansing-area power farmers?

Plus, if you put the diodes in backwards, windmills turn into environment-chopping machines.

I know. I did it. Went to a wind/solar powered school. Thing threw a blade and cut down a couple trees.

I must admit it was pretty sweet.


My guess is that Al Gore must return at night to his darth-vader hyperbaric chamber to survive. That is what drives the energy costs.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 11:53 AM   #13
3-foot
Senior Member
 
3-foot's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-21-06
Location: Springfield Township, Mi
Posts: 1,111
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybalido View Post
you're calling him a hypocrite cuz he has can afford to maintain a large home using energy whose origins aren't harmful to the environment. YOUR argument makes no sense.
No, I'm calling him a hypocrite because he preaches to all americans to conserve energy, yet he does no such thing.

The argument doesn't make sense because he is defending using too much energy by saying that he purchases offsets from windpower producers to make up for it. Purchasing offsets doesn't make him use less energy.

He's still burning 20x too much energy and telling the average american to use less than the 1x we are using. That is a hypocrite plain and simple.
3-foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 12:55 PM   #14
tonybalido
Loser4Life
 
tonybalido's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-26-06
Location: Travis AFB
Posts: 475
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to tonybalido Send a message via MSN to tonybalido
Default

yeah yeah yeah you win.

but if i really had to guess, he and his wife arent the only two in the house, whatever security or advisors or matrons he has on hand.
tonybalido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 01:18 PM   #15
3-foot
Senior Member
 
3-foot's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-21-06
Location: Springfield Township, Mi
Posts: 1,111
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybalido View Post
yeah yeah yeah you win.

but if i really had to guess, he and his wife arent the only two in the house, whatever security or advisors or matrons he has on hand.

He has every right to burn as much power as he can afford to burn. More power to him, so to speak. Just don't preach if your not going to practice.
3-foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 08:09 PM   #16
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,400
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
yeah, that isn't coming from burning hydrocarbons...he's getting a lot of his energy from windmills. using energy from windmills isn't hurting the environment. sheesh. there was a point to it. he has a lot of money. what do people do when they have a lot of money, buy nice things, like houses with 20 rooms.

plus i don't know how accurate that report was, based on the source. The group has been shown as not being credible.

Are these windmills around his house on his property? Probably not. Thats the only way I'd give him a free pass to use as much juice as he wants and still claim to be "green".

In spite of what the renewable energy zelots would have you believe windmills are not the perfect limitless green energy source they'd like us to believe. You can't put them everywhere. They are large, somewhat unsightly, noisy, and potentially hazardous to people and animals in the area. By the time you consider bird migration routes, average wind speeds, ice throws, aesthetics, and area residents, I don't know if there's enough space left for enough windmills to generate the amount of electricity to fulfill all our needs. The same goes for the other darling of the renewable crowd, solar cells. I don't know for sure without doing more research but I thing a large amount of the electricity that is labeled as from "renewable" sources is hydroelectric. But unless you want to start daming up more rivers that is pretty much limited to what we have now.

The problem with all renewable energy sources if that all of them put together, using as much as is practical, using current technology, would probably still struggle to meet the needs of this country. Nobody wants to see the sky filled with windmills and the land paved with solar cells, but thats what it would take. So if we really want to reach the point of relying primarily on renewable I think conservation needs to be a part of that effort.

Using 20 times the average to power your 20 room mansion just because you're rich and can afford to throw money at the power company so you can say your electricity came from a renewable source doesn't cut it. Sorry Al.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 10:55 PM   #17
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,400
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

More, after some research...

First, I was incorrect about the hydroelectric, they don't count that as part of the program. It's about 2/3 wind, 1/3 land fill gas, and a small amount of solar.

The TVA "Green Power Switch" program producted 31,533,948 kWh in the 3 months (nov 2006-jan2007)(http://www.tva.com/greenpowerswitch/updates.htm) which comes to 10,511,316 kWh per month. Al Gore uses on average about 18,400kWh per month. So on average Al Gore uses about 0.175% of Tennessee's renewable power. This may not seem like a lot but consider that if every participant in the program used juice at that rate they would run out after just 571 users.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 07:54 AM   #18
84Scrambler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Lansing
Posts: 5,943
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 84Scrambler
Default

Hydro is considered green power. The environmentalists don't like hydro. They want to blow up all the dams to save the fishies and flood out all the people. They don't like wind power because it scares or chops up birds that are too stupid to fly around those gigantic rotating knife blades in the sky. Wind power is about useless in Michigan outside of 2 small areas near Petoskey and Traverse City. Anywhere else just isn't economic. Plus, you can not count wind generation towards your capacity to supply your customers because you can't guarantee the wind will be blowing on that peak day when you need all of your resources churning out power. So, even if you build the windfarm, you still need to build a coal or gas fired power plant to insure that you can supply the customers that need juice. These hippies that buy green power crack me up. They think that somehow the power lines that run to everyone else's house somehow transmits those "green atoms" directly to their house and not their neighbors that aren't paying the extra money to be environmental saviors. Green power is great. But, there just aren't many options for us in Michigan. We need to slap the hippies and build some nukes and forget about it. String up some new power lines so that the grid is reliable and call it a day.
84Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 08:30 AM   #19
Rattler
Home Sweet Homicide
 
Rattler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-17-06
Location: Bei City
Posts: 3,648
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

There was a controversy a while back about DTE or Consumers and a few turbines out in MI's Thumb and mixing the power from them with their grid. I think this might be part of it:

http://www.michigansthumb.com/site/n...d=571474&rfi=6
Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 08:58 AM   #20
84Scrambler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Lansing
Posts: 5,943
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 84Scrambler
Default

There have been a ton of problems with the wind farm in the Thumb. DTE didn't want to deal with it, the farm operator supposedly wasn't following standard utility procedures, the project came in over budget, the economics then didn't work, the transmission grid was built to support that many MW's being generated in that area... A ton of problems, so they scaled the entire project back.
84Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.29391 seconds with 50 queries