President of Czech Republic Calls Man-Made Global Warming a 'Myth' - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old February 12th, 2007, 10:19 PM   #1
JohnnyJ
Low Range Drifter
 
JohnnyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Hartland, MI
Posts: 6,234
iTrader: (38)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Default President of Czech Republic Calls Man-Made Global Warming a 'Myth'

From Drudge:

President of Czech Republic Calls Man-Made Global Warming a 'Myth' - Questions Gore's Sanity
Mon Feb 12 2007 09:10:09 ET

Czech president Vaclav Klaus has criticized the UN panel on global warming, claiming that it was a political authority without any scientific basis.

In an interview with "Hospodárské noviny", a Czech economics daily, Klaus answered a few questions:

Q: IPCC has released its report and you say that the global warming is a false myth. How did you get this idea, Mr President?•

A: It's not my idea. Global warming is a false myth and every serious person and scientist says so. It is not fair to refer to the U.N. panel. IPCC is not a scientific institution: it's a political body, a sort of non-government organization of green flavor. It's neither a forum of neutral scientists nor a balanced group of scientists. These people are politicized scientists who arrive there with a one-sided opinion and a one-sided assignment. Also, it's an undignified slapstick that people don't wait for the full report in May 2007 but instead respond, in such a serious way, to the summary for policymakers where all the "but's" are scratched, removed, and replaced by oversimplified theses.• This is clearly such an incredible failure of so many people, from journalists to politicians. If the European Commission is instantly going to buy such a trick, we have another very good reason to think that the countries themselves, not the Commission, should be deciding about similar issues.•

Q: How do you explain that there is no other comparably senior statesman in Europe who would advocate this viewpoint? No one else has such strong opinions...•

A: My opinions about this issue simply are strong. Other top-level politicians do not express their global warming doubts because a whip of political correctness strangles their voice.

• Q: But you're not a climate scientist. Do you have a sufficient knowledge and enough information?•

A: Environmentalism as a metaphysical ideology and as a worldview has absolutely nothing to do with natural sciences or with the climate. Sadly, it has nothing to do with social sciences either. Still, it is becoming fashionable and this fact scares me. The second part of the sentence should be: we also have lots of reports, studies, and books of climatologists whose conclusions are diametrally opposite.• Indeed, I never measure the thickness of ice in Antarctica. I really don't know how to do it and don't plan to learn it. However, as a scientifically oriented person, I know how to read science reports about these questions, for example about ice in Antarctica. I don't have to be a climate scientist myself to read them. And inside the papers I have read, the conclusions we may see in the media simply don't appear. But let me promise you something: this topic troubles me which is why I started to write an article about it last Christmas. The article expanded and became a book. In a couple of months, it will be published. One chapter out of seven will organize my opinions about the climate change.• Environmentalism and green ideology is something very different from climate science. Various findings and screams of scientists are abused by this ideology.•

Q: How do you explain that conservative media are skeptical while the left-wing media view the global warming as a done deal?•

A: It is not quite exactly divided to the left-wingers and right-wingers. Nevertheless it's obvious that environmentalism is a new incarnation of modern leftism.•

Q: If you look at all these things, even if you were right ...•

A: ...I am right...•

Q: Isn't there enough empirical evidence and facts we can see with our eyes that imply that Man is demolishing the planet and himself?•

A: It's such a nonsense that I have probably not heard a bigger nonsense yet.•

Q: Don't you believe that we're ruining our planet?•

A: I will pretend that I haven't heard you. Perhaps only Mr Al Gore may be saying something along these lines: a sane person can't. I don't see any ruining of the planet, I have never seen it, and I don't think that a reasonable and serious person could say such a thing. Look: you represent the economic media so I expect a certain economical erudition from you. My book will answer these questions. For example, we know that there exists a huge correlation between the care we give to the environment on one side and the wealth and technological prowess on the other side. It's clear that the poorer the society is, the more brutally it behaves with respect to Nature, and vice versa.• It's also true that there exist social systems that are damaging Nature - by eliminating private ownership and similar things - much more than the freer societies. These tendencies become important in the long run. They unambiguously imply that today, on February 8th, 2007, Nature is protected uncomparably more than on February 8th ten years ago or fifty years ago or one hundred years ago.• That's why I ask: how can you pronounce the sentence you said? Perhaps if you're unconscious? Or did you mean it as a provocation only? And maybe I am just too naive and I allowed you to provoke me to give you all these answers, am I not? It is more likely that you actually believe what you say.
__________________
Neither Skinny Nor Pretty DEAK Racing 4517 Ultra 4 Mod Class Rig
Surviving Project Car Hell - We have all been there
JohnnyJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old February 13th, 2007, 06:31 AM   #2
SS
Blinded By The Light
 
SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: Mogadishu, Somalia
Posts: 11,927
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Default

Snopes certified? Gotta ask..

He speaks the truth.. when the founding father's of the global warming theory have since denounced and proved it false, I fail to see why this debate is still going.

Once people get bored of it they will move on to something else.
__________________
-Jeremy

Watch yourself. I'll light you up.
SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 06:45 AM   #3
Rattler
Home Sweet Homicide
 
Rattler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-17-06
Location: Bei City
Posts: 3,654
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I was listening to Glen Beck talk about global warming yesterday. He said Al Gore should step outside. Glen hasn't seen any global warming traits in a few weeks in NY State.

I also saw that some scientific group has put up a bounty for hard proof of global warming.
Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 07:16 AM   #4
ScOoTeR
hoo dat. wat.
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,530
iTrader: (35)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Default

Personally, I believe in global warming. Just comparing the weather of my childhood 30+ years ago, winter&snow comes later every year and there seems to be no real spring anymore.

I also believe that humans and industry contribute to it.

*However*

I also believe that the earth has its own climatic cycles and we are currently experiencing one. Humans are definitely not helping with producing so much CO2 and the continued deforestation to support our population growth.

Humans are selfish: we insist on luxuries such as the automobile and having homes away from the cities where we can raise large families. Most of us don't care how we get something as long as we have it available to us.

The weather is getting warmer, polar ice caps are receding and water levels are rising. I'm not convinced anything man does at this point in time will have much of an effect. So much so that I believe we should look for more ways to cope with the changing climate instead of complaining/warning/griping/making global panels to try to look so damn altruistic.
__________________
@clarkstoncracker
ScOoTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 07:56 AM   #5
MrBi11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 01-05-06
Location: Holly
Posts: 452
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

The earth's climate is changing in a tic way, with immense danger for mankind and the natural systems that sustain it. This was the frightening message broadcast to us by environmentalists in the recent past. Here are some of their prophecies.

The facts have emerged, in recent years and months, from research into past ice ages. They imply that the threat of a new ice age must now stand alongside nuclear war as a likely source of wholesale death and misery for mankind. (Nigel Calder, former editor of New Scientist, in International Wildlife, July 1975)

The cooling has already killed thousands of people in poor nations... If it continues, and no strong measures are taken to deal with it, the cooling will cause world famine, world chaos, and probably world war, and this could all come about by the year 2000. (Lowe Ponte, The Cooling, 1976)

As recently as January 1994, the supreme authority on matters environmental, Time magazine, wrote:

The ice age cometh? Last week's big chill was a reminder that the Earth's climate can change at any time ... The last (ice age) ended 10,000 years ago; the next one— for there will be a next on—could start tens of thousands of years from now. Or tens of years. Or it may have already started.

The scare about global cooling was always the same: unprecedented low temperatures; the coldest weather recorded; unusual floods and storms; a rapid shift in the world's climate towards an icy apocalypse.

But now, the scare is about global warming. To convert from the first scare to the second, all you have to do is substitute "the coldest weather recorded" with "the warmest weather recorded". Replace the icicles hanging from oranges in California with melting glaciers on Mt Everest, and the shivering armadillos with sweltering polar bears. We were going to freeze but now we are going to fry.

Even the White House is making cautionary sounds about warming.

What facts have emerged to make this tic reversal? Well, none really. The most reliable measurements show no change whatsoever in global temperatures in the past 20 years. What has changed is the perception that global warming makes a better scare than the coming ice age.

A good environmental scare needs two ingredients. The first is impending catastrophe. The second is a suitable culprit to blame. In the second case, the ice age fails and global warming is gloriously successful. It is not the destruction itself of Sodom and Gomorrah that makes the story so appealing but the fact that they were destroyed because they were so sinful.

One of the real threats to mankind is the danger of collision with a large asteroid. It has happened in the past with catastrophic effect, and it will probably happen again. But there are no conferences, resolutions, gatherings, protests and newspaper headlines about asteroid impacts. The reason is that you cannot find anyone suitable to blame for them. If you could persuade people that President Bush or the oil companies were responsible for the asteroids, I guarantee there would be a billion-dollar campaign to "raise awareness" about the asteroid danger, with sonorous editorials in all the papers.

Global warming has the perfect culprit: naughty, industrialized, advanced, consuming, Western society, which has made itself very rich by burning a lot of fossil fuels (coal, oil and gas). This, so the scare goes, is releasing a lot of carbon dioxide. which is dangerously heating up the world.
MrBi11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #6
Stan
I got a gold chain
 
Stan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Shelby Twp.
Posts: 15,696
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Default

Great article MrBill.

And I think I love the Czech president.


The whole topic, as I've said before, is complete bullshit.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #7
Rattler
Home Sweet Homicide
 
Rattler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-17-06
Location: Bei City
Posts: 3,654
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBi11 View Post
The earth's climate is changing in a tic way, with immense danger for mankind and the natural systems that sustain it. This was the frightening message broadcast to us by environmentalists in the recent past. Here are some of their prophecies.

The facts have emerged, in recent years and months, from research into past ice ages. They imply that the threat of a new ice age must now stand alongside nuclear war as a likely source of wholesale death and misery for mankind. (Nigel Calder, former editor of New Scientist, in International Wildlife, July 1975)

The cooling has already killed thousands of people in poor nations... If it continues, and no strong measures are taken to deal with it, the cooling will cause world famine, world chaos, and probably world war, and this could all come about by the year 2000. (Lowe Ponte, The Cooling, 1976)

As recently as January 1994, the supreme authority on matters environmental, Time magazine, wrote:

The ice age cometh? Last week's big chill was a reminder that the Earth's climate can change at any time ... The last (ice age) ended 10,000 years ago; the next one— for there will be a next on—could start tens of thousands of years from now. Or tens of years. Or it may have already started.

The scare about global cooling was always the same: unprecedented low temperatures; the coldest weather recorded; unusual floods and storms; a rapid shift in the world's climate towards an icy apocalypse.

But now, the scare is about global warming. To convert from the first scare to the second, all you have to do is substitute "the coldest weather recorded" with "the warmest weather recorded". Replace the icicles hanging from oranges in California with melting glaciers on Mt Everest, and the shivering armadillos with sweltering polar bears. We were going to freeze but now we are going to fry.

Even the White House is making cautionary sounds about warming.

What facts have emerged to make this tic reversal? Well, none really. The most reliable measurements show no change whatsoever in global temperatures in the past 20 years. What has changed is the perception that global warming makes a better scare than the coming ice age.

A good environmental scare needs two ingredients. The first is impending catastrophe. The second is a suitable culprit to blame. In the second case, the ice age fails and global warming is gloriously successful. It is not the destruction itself of Sodom and Gomorrah that makes the story so appealing but the fact that they were destroyed because they were so sinful.

One of the real threats to mankind is the danger of collision with a large asteroid. It has happened in the past with catastrophic effect, and it will probably happen again. But there are no conferences, resolutions, gatherings, protests and newspaper headlines about asteroid impacts. The reason is that you cannot find anyone suitable to blame for them. If you could persuade people that President Bush or the oil companies were responsible for the asteroids, I guarantee there would be a billion-dollar campaign to "raise awareness" about the asteroid danger, with sonorous editorials in all the papers.

Global warming has the perfect culprit: naughty, industrialized, advanced, consuming, Western society, which has made itself very rich by burning a lot of fossil fuels (coal, oil and gas). This, so the scare goes, is releasing a lot of carbon dioxide. which is dangerously heating up the world.
Well put.
Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 10:41 AM   #8
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,788
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
Personally, I believe in global warming. Just comparing the weather of my childhood 30+ years ago, winter&snow comes later every year and there seems to be no real spring anymore.

I also believe that humans and industry contribute to it.

*However*

I also believe that the earth has its own climatic cycles and we are currently experiencing one. Humans are definitely not helping with producing so much CO2 and the continued deforestation to support our population growth.

Humans are selfish: we insist on luxuries such as the automobile and having homes away from the cities where we can raise large families. Most of us don't care how we get something as long as we have it available to us.

The weather is getting warmer, polar ice caps are receding and water levels are rising. I'm not convinced anything man does at this point in time will have much of an effect. So much so that I believe we should look for more ways to cope with the changing climate instead of complaining/warning/griping/making global panels to try to look so damn altruistic.
i hope you know, you sound like an environmentalist liberal hippie. bah. Down with trees up with Escalades and money!!!
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #9
ScOoTeR
hoo dat. wat.
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,530
iTrader: (35)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
i hope you know, you sound like an environmentalist liberal hippie. bah. Down with trees up with Escalades and money!!!
There is nothing wrong with being an environmentalist, nor moderately liberal; it can happen without subscribing to a democrat mindset.
__________________
@clarkstoncracker
ScOoTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 11:40 AM   #10
4x Fanatic
Guiness Test Pilot
 
4x Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 3,185
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Why can't we get a smart president???


Bush to Clinton to Bush to Clit'n (probably). No wonder our world image sucks!
4x Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 12:25 PM   #11
Stan
I got a gold chain
 
Stan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Shelby Twp.
Posts: 15,696
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
There is nothing wrong with being an environmentalist, nor moderately liberal; it can happen without subscribing to a democrat mindset.

This may just be the saddest day of my life.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #12
ScOoTeR
hoo dat. wat.
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,530
iTrader: (35)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
This may just be the saddest day of my life.
Think of it this way Stan; I am an environmentalist in the way I try to promote:
* responsible wheeling
* pollution control on vehicles
* noise control on vehicle
* enjoying nature within the limits of the law
I just want to help our sport walk the straight-and-narrow to preserve it for all to benefit.

Liberal-wise:
* Keep religion out of my life
* Let the gays do what they want as long as it harms no one else.
* Let women choose WTF to do with their pwn bodies.

That's all. Nothing to be a sad panda about.
__________________
@clarkstoncracker
ScOoTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #13
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,788
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
Liberal-wise:
* Keep religion out of my life
* Let the gays do what they want as long as it harms no one else.
* Let women choose WTF to do with their pwn bodies.
but, wait scooter, isn't forcing what you believe on other people...isn't that what being an American is all about???
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 03:37 PM   #14
Rattler
Home Sweet Homicide
 
Rattler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-17-06
Location: Bei City
Posts: 3,654
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
Think of it this way Stan; I am an environmentalist in the way I try to promote:
* responsible wheeling
* pollution control on vehicles
* noise control on vehicle
* enjoying nature within the limits of the law
I just want to help our sport walk the straight-and-narrow to preserve it for all to benefit.

Liberal-wise:
* Keep religion out of my life
* Let the gays do what they want as long as it harms no one else.
* Let women choose WTF to do with their pwn bodies.

That's all. Nothing to be a sad panda about.
That actually sounds quite Liberitarian(thats not a bad thing).
Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 04:06 PM   #15
JohnnyJ
Low Range Drifter
 
JohnnyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Hartland, MI
Posts: 6,234
iTrader: (38)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
but, wait scooter, isn't forcing what you believe on other people...isn't that what being an American is all about???
No, that's what being is all about. You know, with their pestering about income redistribution, forcing alternative lifestyles on those that say no thanks, government regulations, etc.
__________________
Neither Skinny Nor Pretty DEAK Racing 4517 Ultra 4 Mod Class Rig
Surviving Project Car Hell - We have all been there
JohnnyJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 04:33 PM   #16
needsrepair
Senior Member
 
needsrepair's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-31-06
Location: Oakland County
Posts: 350
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I find it amazing that the tree hugger, left wing, commies say that, O yes man evolved from a rock or a frog or something over a period of millions of years and then turn around and determine that the world is destroyed by man with only a hundred years of data. Please.........think about it. An idiot at work tells me when he was a kid he remembers alot of snow in the winter and now there isnt much. I said right thats what he and I might be seeing but what did the guy that was old when we where young see when he was young? Maybe he didnt see much snow. You know, like MAYBE there are cycles? One hundred years is nothing.......duuuuuuuhhhhhhhhh

UN= Commies, socialists, tree huggers, PETA, NAMBLA, Rosie, Jane, and o dont forget..............Democrats New World Order
needsrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 11:16 PM   #17
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,484
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

The biggest problem with the whole "global climate change" subject is that every study, every , every group doing the study, and every article written is politically motivated. Why can the politicians (on both sides) shut up and let the scientists do their work.

I'm pretty much with ScOoTeR on this, (no, that doesn't mean I want buttsecks) I don't see how we can cut down the forests, pave over large amounts of ground, drain wetlands, and burn oil gas and coal as fast as we can pull it out of the ground without having some affect on the environment.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 11:39 PM   #18
Stone
Ultimate Mall Wheeler
 
Stone's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Bay City, Rochester
Posts: 839
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Stone
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
The biggest problem with the whole "global climate change" subject is that every study, every , every group doing the study, and every article written is politically motivated. Why can the politicians (on both sides) shut up and let the scientists do their work.
Without political motivation the funding for the scientists dries up.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 09:51 PM   #19
Motor Slut
I put the Ick in Dick.
 
Motor Slut's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: 49963
Posts: 2,411
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I don't even want to get into how Ethanol may be the worst environmental scam ever pulled.
Motor Slut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 07:14 AM   #20
ScOoTeR
hoo dat. wat.
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,530
iTrader: (35)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor Slut View Post
I don't even want to get into how Ethanol may be the worst environmental scam ever pulled.
In our current production state, it doesn't make sense. Once an infrastructure is developed here (if ever), it makes a viable alternative fuel.
__________________
@clarkstoncracker
ScOoTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.58069 seconds with 80 queries