Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
159K views 1K replies 143 participants last post by  Ryanw10 
#1 · (Edited)

I bought my 99 Wrangler used, it already had a 3in BDS lift, Garvin Wilderness rack, 2 sets of rims and tires and all the stock parts.

First set of mods: Arb Bull bumper, Fake beadlocks w/ the ring painted white, Hella Rallye 4000 HIDs, Pioneer AVIC-N1 navigation system. York/Kilby OBA.

Second round of mods: Rubicon Express 4.5 Superflex lift kit, black hinges, black grill cover, Off Road Only Lightdots, Ipod, Cobra CB..

Future plans: Warn 9.5si MOSFET winch, w/ ORO Synthetic Line, BFG Mud Terrians 35's, 4.56 gears(or 33's with 4.10 gears) ARB locker installed in the rear 44, an Aussie Locker installed in the front. Off Road Onlys Swayloc and U-turn, Rokmen Cornor Guards, and Walker Evan Beadlocks.

See less See more
#245 ·
fork ya! my new tires just showed up. 8 new and 2 used. Im gonna run duals at each axle, once deflated i can drive on the water :woot: 5 really are Stans and the other 5 are mine.

#251 ·
haha yes I have been slacking but im gonna hump on things this weekend. I need to clean out teh garage first and then i can work. I have to finish up the passenger side armor, tack on the front coilover mounts and get it sitting on the coilovers again, get 1 of my 40's mounted on my spare beadlock and use it as a cutting guide.

Then I need to get the skid plate bolted back on, cut out the floor for the cable shifters, build a center counsol, and finish up the rear suspension.

I still have a lot of work to finish up but hopefully she'll be a roll by next weekend.

#255 ·
weeeee Im making progress

the front end is setting on the coil overs. I need to finalize all the mounts still, and probably drop the hoops down 1" for hood clearence. On the frame side of things Im going to clearance both sides of the frame for the highsteer with some big diameter DOM and then plate over things to gain me a few more inch's for up travel, If I didnt have highsteer i wouldnt have these issues but no big deal.

I got 1 of my 40's mounted up on a spare beadlock and jack cycled the front suspension, with the tierod kissing the frame I have 4.5" from the top of the tire to the bottom of the tube flare for if I can gain 3" on the frame and 1" on the hoops ill be golden.

1 question I need answered is on the amount of coilover shaft exposed. Right now it looks like I have about 8.5" on a 14" coilover, are my springs to heavy? I think i have a 300 over a 250 or 200. Do i need to get lighter springs.

Here be some pics:

#256 ·
looks good.

dont touch the springs right now. it's not done and you have cantilevered weight over the back right now that is taking weight off the front. until it is sitting on all 4's and at full weight dont mess with the spring rates. in fact, take them out and dont put them back in until everything has been mounted and everything clears at full stuff and full flexed out. it's more important than people think.

once you are done I'd shoot for 6-7" of shock showing and it'll ride pretty good. give yourself about 2" of soft coil travel until your slider hits the stop and then have the last 3-4" of travel the stiff spring. make sure you have some sort of bump stop too, coilovers need something to take the load as they dont have a super progressive rate as they bottom...

#257 ·
cool thanks for the advice, ya Ill be building bumpstops, Ill be getting some air bump cans and build some timbrin bumps to fit in them until I can buy some airbumps.

#265 ·
yep, I know what you mean. Luckly Im in the works on getting this back into a roller state and putting it into faster working hands :sonicjay:

expect more updates in the near future...

#270 ·
Its been a while now, so I figured it was time for some updates...

I finally got my TJ into a roller and it finally saw daylight for the first time in months.

I did weld castor wheels onto the frame and had moving dollys for the rear :sonicjay:

With work and college I didnt have the time to finish this project so I shipped it out to the VVest Side for a buddy to finish this into a roller for me. He's only had it for a week and already is making great progress. He's basically doing 90% of the hard finish work and Ill pick up the odds & ends once I get it back. I think at this point in time driveshafts, rear coilover springs and fuel delivery supplies are the only major things i need to buy next.

#286 ·
Its been a while now, so I figured it was time for some updates...

I finally got my TJ into a roller and it finally saw daylight for the first time in months.

I did weld castor wheels onto the frame and had moving dollys for the rear :sonicjay:

With work and college I didnt have the time to finish this project so I shipped it out to the VVest Side for a buddy to finish this into a roller for me. He's only had it for a week and already is making great progress. He's basically doing 90% of the hard finish work and Ill pick up the odds & ends once I get it back. I think at this point in time driveshafts, rear coilover springs and fuel delivery supplies are the only major things i need to buy next.
Where were the castors and the moving dollys when we loaded it up onto the trailer??

It looks like he's doing a good job and is better with pictures for you than he did for me :teehee: Looks really good :thumb:

#272 ·
thank you, I cant either. I have a planned goal to have it "done" by this winter so I can do some testing & tuning before I strip everything down for paint. Me second goal is to have it at Autorama.

#282 · (Edited)
the builder is to busy working on it to take pics :sonicjay:

as of this point the front suspension is 90% done. Waiting on coilover mounting spacers and air bump cans to be 100% complete. This weekend the rear suspension should be knocked out and it will become a roller again. Rear links are 2" and 1.75" 3/8 wall DOM. I should have between 4-5" of suspension uptravel and a wheelbase of 102". Im told this TJ sits pretty damn low for a Jeep on 40's and "1 tons" Alot more progress to come.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.