Fact checking the president on his terrorism report. - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old January 31st, 2007, 09:27 AM   #1
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,874
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default Fact checking the president on his terrorism report.

He says we're kicking ass. Keith checked and it's not so impressive. Terrorism is being sold to this country to keep us scared. Don't buy it. More people have died because of bathtubs in this country than from terrorist attacks.


Olbermann: Upon his appointment, Sir Norman Bettison made one of the strangest comments of the year: "The threat of terrorism," he says, "is lurking out there like Jaws 2." Sir Norman did not exactly mine the richest ore for his analogy of warning. A critic once said of the flopping sequel to the classic film: "You're gonna need a better screenplay."

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2007/0...the-president/
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:11 AM   #2
JohnnyJ
Low Range Drifter
 
JohnnyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Hartland, MI
Posts: 6,369
iTrader: (38)
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Default

And the dems are trying to scare us with global warming. What's your point?
__________________
Neither Skinny Nor Pretty DEAK Racing 4517 Ultra 4 Mod Class Rig
Surviving Project Car Hell - We have all been there
JohnnyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:19 AM   #3
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,874
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

are you serious?
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:26 AM   #4
BMFmike
meh.
 
BMFmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Grand Haven
Posts: 7,816
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

I thought this thread said fart checking


BMFmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:46 AM   #5
Icemanii
GLFWDA Land Use Committee
 
Icemanii's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: 48085
Posts: 5,233
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

And more people died in the twin towers than in the current war.

More people died at Pearl Harbor than the current war. Good thing we didn't say what the hell, lets not go to war then either huh?
Icemanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 11:02 AM   #6
JohnnyJ
Low Range Drifter
 
JohnnyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Hartland, MI
Posts: 6,369
iTrader: (38)
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
are you serious?
Yes. There is big money in global warming, it makes for almost as good of news as terrorism.
__________________
Neither Skinny Nor Pretty DEAK Racing 4517 Ultra 4 Mod Class Rig
Surviving Project Car Hell - We have all been there
JohnnyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 11:03 AM   #7
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,874
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJ View Post
Yes. There is big money in global warming, it makes for almost as good of news as terrorism.
I was just kind of surprised to hear you agree about the terrorism thing.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 12:59 PM   #8
Mike L
Senior Member
 
Mike L's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-19-06
Location: G.C.
Posts: 270
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

THis is how bad terrorism in america has been. I postedthis a long time ago. This seems like a good place to post it again.

Ask yourself this. How many people have died in random terrorist attacks in the united states prior to 911. Hint. Most were killed by timothy mcveigh.


http://www.americanmemorialsite.com/victims.html

Since 1968 -2000 I count less than 500 SINCE 1968 killed in america. Other than 911 at that rate it would take 84 years for 2703 (now 3000+)americans to be killed in terrorist attacks. Our current administration managed to get this number in 6 years. I believe our President means well. He is just caught in something he cant turn back on because of his pride.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 01:04 PM   #9
Icemanii
GLFWDA Land Use Committee
 
Icemanii's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: 48085
Posts: 5,233
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
THis is how bad terrorism in america has been. I postedthis a long time ago. This seems like a good place to post it again.

Ask yourself this. How many people have died in random terrorist attacks in the united states prior to 911. Hint. Most were killed by timothy mcveigh.


http://www.americanmemorialsite.com/victims.html

Since 1968 -2000 I count less than 500 SINCE 1968 killed in america. Other than 911 at that rate it would take 84 years for 2703 (now 3000+)americans to be killed in terrorist attacks. Our current administration managed to get this number in 6 years. I believe our President means well. He is just caught in something he cant turn back on because of his pride.

Why do you exclude 9/11? Prior to Pearl Harbor, how many US troops were killed without being in a war? You are slanting the numbers to match what you want to see.
Icemanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 01:38 PM   #10
Mike L
Senior Member
 
Mike L's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-19-06
Location: G.C.
Posts: 270
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemanii View Post
Why do you exclude 9/11? Prior to Pearl Harbor, how many US troops were killed without being in a war? You are slanting the numbers to match what you want to see.
Pearl harbor was a different kind of war in a different time. You will not find a bunch of Arabs flying across the ocean attacking a US port. With todays technology it will never happen. (not from terrorists anyway) What will happen is they will sneek shit in the country because our borders are not secure.

Terrorism has always been around and always will be. It was even happening while the other wars were fought. I agree we should be fighting terrorism. We should be fighting it in a way we can win by keeping them out of our country by defending our borders.

I didnt slant the numbers other than exluding 911 just to show that terrorism isnt that often in this country. Those numbers on that website are facts. More people are killed in the hood each year. 911 was just one attack. unfortuantely they were able to kill thousands because we had our guard down. Instead we are sending our troops elswhere leaving our borders vulnerable.

Last edited by Mike L; January 31st, 2007 at 01:44 PM.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 02:40 PM   #11
SS
Doing stuff...and things.
 
SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: 48309
Posts: 12,142
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
I didnt slant the numbers other than exluding 911 just to show that terrorism isnt that often in this country. Those numbers on that website are facts. More people are killed in the hood each year. 911 was just one attack. unfortuantely they were able to kill thousands because we had our guard down. Instead we are sending our troops elswhere leaving our borders vulnerable.

But you did slant the numbers and you did it again. Pearl Harbor was also just one attack because we had our guard down. You can't pick and choose which information you want to present just because it makes your argument stronger. You have to present all of the information to even attempt to make a valid argument.
__________________
-Jer

SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 04:59 PM   #12
3-foot
Senior Member
 
3-foot's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-21-06
Location: Springfield Township, Mi
Posts: 1,130
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Pearl harbor was a different kind of war in a different time. You will not find a bunch of Arabs flying across the ocean attacking a US port. With todays technology it will never happen. (not from terrorists anyway) What will happen is they will sneek shit in the country because our borders are not secure.
But this is exactly what happened. They flew here from the M.E. waited for the right moment and attacked a port(New York). By the way they all had legal visa's so a secure border wouldn't have stopped them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Terrorism has always been around and always will be. It was even happening while the other wars were fought. I agree we should be fighting terrorism. We should be fighting it in a way we can win by keeping them out of our country by defending our borders.

I agree the borders are still a problem , but having those troops home wouldn't solve the the issue. A nice 3000 mile long wall would certainly help though. Too bad congress will never do that, illegal mexican's make a huge (future) voting block, and guess which party they tend to vote for. Anyway the border is a political problem not a military problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
I didnt slant the numbers other than exluding 911 just to show that terrorism isnt that often in this country. Those numbers on that website are facts. More people are killed in the hood each year. 911 was just one attack. unfortuantely they were able to kill thousands because we had our guard down. Instead we are sending our troops elswhere leaving our borders vulnerable.


Saying that almost no one died from terrorists before 9/11 IS like saying no one died from japanese bombs before P.H. Who cares? An act of war is an act of war. It's not a valid argument.

It's like saying Nathaniel Abraham never killed anyone before he shot that guy in the head so he shouldn't be punished. After all it was just one attack, more people die in (fill in the blank) everyday, so why bother, he might get angry if we lock him up. WTF?
3-foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 06:18 PM   #13
Buggy_Tim
(513) 891-8372
 
Buggy_Tim's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Sault Sainte Marie
Posts: 11,994
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Terrorist Acts Suspected of or Inspired by al-Qaeda

* 1993 (Feb.): Bombing of World Trade Center (WTC); 6 killed.
* 1993 (Oct.): Killing of U.S. soldiers in Somalia.
* 1996 (June): Truck bombing at Khobar Towers barracks in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, killed 19 Americans.
* 1998 (Aug.): Bombing of U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania; 224 killed, including 12 Americans.
* 1999 (Dec.): Plot to bomb millennium celebrations in Seattle foiled when customs agents arrest an Algerian smuggling explosives into the U.S.
* 2000 (Oct.): Bombing of the USS Cole in port in Yemen; 17 U.S. sailors killed.
* 2001 (Sept.): Destruction of WTC; attack on Pentagon. Total dead 2,992.
* 2001 (Dec.): Man tried to denote shoe bomb on flight from Paris to Miami.
* 2002 (April): Explosion at historic synagogue in Tunisia left 21 dead, including 11 German tourists.
* 2002 (May): Car exploded outside hotel in Karachi, Pakistan, killing 14, including 11 French citizens.
* 2002 (June): Bomb exploded outside American consulate in Karachi, Pakistan, killing 12.
* 2002 (Oct.): Boat crashed into oil tanker off Yemen coast, killing 1.
* 2002 (Oct.): Nightclub bombings in Bali, Indonesia, killed 202, mostly Australian citizens.
* 2002 (Nov.): Suicide attack on a hotel in Mombasa, Kenya, killed 16.
* 2003 (May): Suicide bombers killed 34, including 8 Americans, at housing compounds for Westerners in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
* 2003 (May): 4 bombs killed 33 people targeting Jewish, Spanish, and Belgian sites in Casablanca, Morocco.
* 2003 (Aug.): Suicide car-bomb killed 12, injured 150 at Marriott Hotel in Jakarta, Indonesia.
* 2003 (Nov.): Explosions rocked a Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, housing compound, killing 17.
* 2003 (Nov.): Suicide car-bombers simultaneously attacked 2 synagogues in Istanbul, Turkey, killing 25 and injuring hundreds.
* 2003 (Nov.): Truck bombs detonated at London bank and British consulate in Istanbul, Turkey, killing 26.
* 2004 (March): 10 bombs on 4 trains exploded almost simultaneously during the morning rush hour in Madrid, Spain, killing 191 and injuring more than 1,500.
* 2004 (May): Terrorists attacked Saudi oil company offices in Khobar, Saudi Arabia, killing 22.
* 2004 (June): Terrorists kidnapped and executed American Paul Johnson, Jr., in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
* 2004 (Sept.): Car bomb outside the Australian embassy in Jakarta, Indonesia, killed 9.
* 2004 (Dec.): Terrorists entered the U.S. Consulate in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, killing 9 (including 4 attackers).
* 2005 (July): Bombs exploded on 3 trains and a bus in London, England, killing 52.
* 2005 (Oct.): 22 killed by 3 suicide bombs in Bali, Indonesia.
* 2005 (Nov.): 57 killed at 3 American hotels in Amman, Jordan.
* 2006 (Aug.): More than 25 arrested in plot to blow up jetliners between London and U.S.
Need more? This is just the al-Qaeda stuff. There is plenty more.
Buggy_Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 07:28 PM   #14
Chiefwoohaw
Pokerob is my B*tch!
 
Chiefwoohaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,509
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws View Post
Need more? This is just the al-Qaeda stuff. There is plenty more.
Please show us terrorist activities conducted by Iraq.

To bad we just couldn't have stuck to the original plan of going after Al-quada.
Chiefwoohaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 09:37 PM   #15
DuffMan
Your Message Here
 
DuffMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: The Ile of Grosse
Posts: 5,845
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I think you're missing the point.

Terrorism deaths in the U.S. are rare because we're vigilant.

Or are you asserting that all of our efforts to seek out and prevent terrorism are ineffective and we've just been lucky?

Or would you prefer that we see more domestic terrorism deaths to justify the costs of prevention?

And 9/11 really wasn't that different from Pearl Harbor. Instead of being attacked by a formal nation-state (i.e. Imperial Japan) we were attacked by a religious faction. This faction didn't have carriers to sail over here and launch airplanes. So they did something worse. Disguised as civilians (with civilian paperwork & credentials) , they hijacked civilian aircraft and without warning, attacked civilian targets.

Hell, the Japanese meant to declare war prior to the attack, they just had a snafu in the plan.
__________________
This is the Pub. Leave common sense at the door.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 09:55 PM   #16
Kawierider
Senior Member
 
Kawierider's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-29-06
Location: Livonia
Posts: 1,533
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefwoohaw View Post
Please show us terrorist activities conducted by Iraq.

To bad we just couldn't have stuck to the original plan of going after Al-quada.
http://www.americanthinker.com/2006/...d_alqaeda.html

Want more proof ?
Kawierider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:11 PM   #17
Chiefwoohaw
Pokerob is my B*tch!
 
Chiefwoohaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,509
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawierider View Post
Yeah, from a reputable new source . . . that's as bad as Sova's proof of most things :tonka:
Chiefwoohaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:20 PM   #18
Tie Dyed
O.G.
 
Tie Dyed's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 4,200
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Tie Dyed
Default

don\\\\\\\\\\'t forget about this one, since we are talking about terrorism. I have just brought over the event and the death toll.

The 1983 Beirut barracks bombing

The death toll was 241 American servicemen

It is uncertain as to who is responsible for the bombing although several radical Shiite militant groups claimed responsibility for the attacks,
__________________
2000 XJ with a 3 inch body lift

Last edited by Tie Dyed; January 31st, 2007 at 10:23 PM.
Tie Dyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 03:50 AM   #19
Mike L
Senior Member
 
Mike L's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-19-06
Location: G.C.
Posts: 270
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws View Post
Need more? This is just the al-Qaeda stuff. There is plenty more.
I agree with those. My post was talking about attacks on US soil. You guys can look at these facts any way you like. But they are all there and they are about americans dying. Preventing deaths on US soil should be number one priority. Protecting borders I think we all agree on. I think I know where I can find 20,000 troops to help with this problem. Oh yeah and 100 billion dollars to fund it.

Back to Pearl Harbor. It is to bad we cant retaliate with a nice Nuke like the old days.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 07:50 AM   #20
Cooter
Dad Kickin' It OldSkool
 
Cooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-04-05
Location: Chi-caw-go
Posts: 4,540
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

If you keep all of our troops on home soil, where do you think the deaths will occur?

C'mon, it's not that hard to figure out....
__________________
Michigan- The Only Great Lakes State South of the Mason-Dixon Line.
Cooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.32082 seconds with 80 queries