wanting to build a 400+ hp SBF on a "budget" - Page 2 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Ford Tech
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old June 11th, 2014, 03:46 PM   #21
Cartman
Can't lose with 42s
 
Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-17-06
Location: Williamsburg, MI
Posts: 1,039
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I'm a chevy fan boy and AJ's smoking crack

Next time you find a complete LQ9 for $600 buy 4 of them


OP: What about getting one of the lethargic EFI 460s and slapping heads cam and intake on it? I hear they make power for cheap......
Cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old June 11th, 2014, 03:59 PM   #22
AJ Hall
Kickin' Up MUD
 
AJ Hall's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-09
Location: White Lake, Michigan
Posts: 1,928
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReiKo View Post

You forget flywheel... Torque Convertor... Bell housing to make the AOD work... Shifter... And if he didn't want to use the AOD... Now he needs a transmission... And drive shafts... List goes on and on and on...

The best bet for his situation is to stick to the SBF and transmission he has... $$$ for $$$ a Windsor will also beat the "All mighty LSx"...
dropping 2k into a 6.0 and 2k into a 351 isnt even close. The LS would out perform everytime and not to mention last longer. Maybe this case with the trans and what not, the 351 would be better. Id rather have a 4l80e or TH400 over a AOD any day. Just my opinon. I did like the 351W in my bronco though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
I'm a chevy fan boy and AJ's smoking crack

Next time you find a complete LQ9 for $600 buy 4 of them


OP: What about getting one of the lethargic EFI 460s and slapping heads cam and intake on it? I hear they make power for cheap......
Yes, because people sell four at a time

Search Craigslist long enough and you will find a deal to.. I was finding 6.0s for 800 bucks all day when I was searching for them. Maybe the price shot up recently. Just have the find someone that doesn't think they are worth gold.
__________________
Selling new Chrysler, Dodge, Ram, Jeep, Chevy, or Ford... also have over 300 used cars.. No bullshit run around salesman crap. Make sure you tell me your from GL4x4


A.J.
AJ Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 05:59 PM   #23
Gunsworth
Senior Member
 
Gunsworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 2,534
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Gunsworth
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Hall View Post
dropping 2k into a 6.0 and 2k into a 351 isnt even close. The LS would out perform everytime and not to mention last longer. Maybe this case with the trans and what not, the 351 would be better. Id rather have a 4l80e or TH400 over a AOD any day. Just my opinon. I did like the 351W in my bronco though.



Yes, because people sell four at a time

Search Craigslist long enough and you will find a deal to.. I was finding 6.0s for 800 bucks all day when I was searching for them. Maybe the price shot up recently. Just have the find someone that doesn't think they are worth gold.
but everyone seems to think they need one with like 50k on it. I have beat the shit out of the 6.0 on my work truck pulling trailers and plowing snow 90% of its life. im nearing 200k and it still runs great and never been opened up. people that think 6.0s are too expensive also think they need one with low miles.
Gunsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 08:36 PM   #24
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,647
iTrader: (55)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

going back to the original intent, you are taking a 210hp engine and trying to get 400hp out of it.

Its hard without adding cubes, to add 200 HP to a truck friendly engine. But, the recipe is pretty standard. Heads, intake, cam, compression, and headers/exhaust. There are some better flowing heads out there the late explorer stuff. In a car application, could do ok but you'll probably be sacrificing low end that you'd want in a truck.

One of the car mags this month, I think car craft, did some cam tests using an explorer 302. They were getting mid 300s.

Do you want carburetor or fuel injection?
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 08:52 PM   #25
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,647
iTrader: (55)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsworth View Post
but everyone seems to think they need one with like 50k on it. I have beat the shit out of the 6.0 on my work truck pulling trailers and plowing snow 90% of its life. im nearing 200k and it still runs great and never been opened up. people that think 6.0s are too expensive also think they need one with low miles.
I'm in the middle of building an LS2, mine is around 90k and still has a great crosshatch on the walls. Heads are on the way back from advanced induction should be making a wee bit more than 400hp.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 11:55 PM   #26
booblinker
Trailer Trash
 
booblinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-29-06
Location: Leonard, mi
Posts: 9,963
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to booblinker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Hall View Post
6.0 LS Swap with a cam... will have a very reliable/high reving 400 hp motor with lots of potential for well under 2k.
This is an idea I have been throwing around
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReiKo View Post

You forget flywheel... Torque Convertor... Bell housing to make the AOD work... Shifter... And if he didn't want to use the AOD... Now he needs a transmission... And drive shafts... List goes on and on and on...

The best bet for his situation is to stick to the SBF and transmission he has... $$$ for $$$ a Windsor will also beat the "All mighty LSx"...
Not set on an AOD, just thought it would be the easiest to add OD to an old ford
__________________
-2001 Tahoe original 5.3 4x4 only 435k
-Down to 2 three wheelers
-1985 V65 Magna
-1978 F100
-1973 CT70 with 125cc motor
booblinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 06:42 AM   #27
CheapThrillB2
FAWK YEAH!!
 
CheapThrillB2's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-06-06
Location: Middleville, MI
Posts: 31,149
iTrader: (61)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Default

If haven't purchased a trans yet, look into the 4r70w with a stand alone controller. Don't waste your time or money on a aod or aode.
CheapThrillB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 07:58 AM   #28
ReiKo
Community Smart Ass.....
 
ReiKo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-06-13
Location: Detroit
Posts: 683
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by booblinker View Post
Not set on an AOD, just thought it would be the easiest to add OD to an old ford
Go with a 4r70w like mentioned...


SBF Windsors are easy to make really good power... One trick they use to do back in the day to bump up compression was turn the piston 180 in the bore...
ReiKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 07:58 AM   #29
ReiKo
Community Smart Ass.....
 
ReiKo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-06-13
Location: Detroit
Posts: 683
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggar View Post
i'm in the middle of building an ls2, mine is around 90k and still has a great crosshatch on the walls. Heads are on the way back from advanced induction Should be making a wee bit more than 400hp.
317? 243?
ReiKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 08:00 AM   #30
Lousypirate
Yo
 
Lousypirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-11-08
Location: Marne 49435
Posts: 11,182
iTrader: (33)
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReiKo View Post
One trick they use to do back in the day to bump up compression was turn the piston 180 in the bore...
wat? That doesn't make any sense.
__________________
2003 gmc 1500hd quadrasteer "Miley"
2000 jeep cherokee "Herman"
1977 Ranger 150a bass boat
1987 Yamaha Moto 4 quad
Lousypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 08:04 AM   #31
ReiKo
Community Smart Ass.....
 
ReiKo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-06-13
Location: Detroit
Posts: 683
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousypirate View Post
wat? That doesn't make any sense.
They would take the piston and turn it 180 so the intake side of the piston was on the exhaust side and the exhaust side was on the intake side... Doing this with milling the head... Some of the old time street races in Detroit did this all the time...
ReiKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 08:06 AM   #32
Lousypirate
Yo
 
Lousypirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-11-08
Location: Marne 49435
Posts: 11,182
iTrader: (33)
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Default

That doesn't change the volume of the cylinder... how would that effect compression.

Milling the head changes compression.
__________________
2003 gmc 1500hd quadrasteer "Miley"
2000 jeep cherokee "Herman"
1977 Ranger 150a bass boat
1987 Yamaha Moto 4 quad
Lousypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 08:06 AM   #33
ReiKo
Community Smart Ass.....
 
ReiKo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-06-13
Location: Detroit
Posts: 683
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousypirate View Post
That doesn't change the volume of the cylinder... how would that effect compression.

Milling the head changes compression.
What it does is change the arc of the rod, and has the same effect as a slightly longer rod...
ReiKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 08:11 AM   #34
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,647
iTrader: (55)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReiKo View Post
317? 243?
LS2 = 243, which is what I have. The LQ9 would be 319s. Same rotating assembly, but the LS2 is ~90 lbs lighter.

Mine are 243s, with AI's 226cc cnc program, milled down to 62cc chambers. Cam is 0.630/0.610.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 08:11 AM   #35
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,109
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Default

what we always did was flip the rod over, put the wristpin side on the crank and the crank side on the wrist pin, it doubled the compression and also allowed you to still run pump gas while allowing the motor to spin more RPM
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 08:13 AM   #36
ReiKo
Community Smart Ass.....
 
ReiKo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-06-13
Location: Detroit
Posts: 683
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
LS2 = 243, which is what I have. The LQ9 would be 319s. Same rotating assembly, but the LS2 is ~90 lbs lighter.

Mine are 243s, with AI's 226cc cnc program, milled down to 62cc chambers. Cam is 0.630/0.610.
Wasn't sure if you were going NA or F/I
ReiKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 08:25 AM   #37
firehawk
Live Action!
 
firehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-02-07
Location: Clawson, Michigan
Posts: 12,476
iTrader: (44)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapThrillB2 View Post
If haven't purchased a trans yet, look into the 4r70w with a stand alone controller. Don't waste your time or money on a aod or aode.

If you go with a 4R70W getting one that is from a 1999 or newer will get you a better trans than the earlier ones, better internals.
firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 08:27 AM   #38
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,647
iTrader: (55)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Stock wrist pin is offset to reduce piston slap. Flipping them improves leverage on the piston when you aren't concerned with OE type NVH and longevity requirements.


Oops, Reiko got it first..
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 08:30 AM   #39
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,647
iTrader: (55)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReiKo View Post
Wasn't sure if you were going NA or F/I
thought hard about it, but part of building the '71 is to have the sound of a high compression, tight LSA motor (street cruiser/hot rod thing).
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 08:43 AM   #40
ReiKo
Community Smart Ass.....
 
ReiKo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-06-13
Location: Detroit
Posts: 683
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
thought hard about it, but part of building the '71 is to have the sound of a high compression, tight LSA motor (street cruiser/hot rod thing).
Can't deny that sound....


I'm a turbo guy myself... Just love the high pitch whine...
One day it will see the light of day...
ReiKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Ford Tech

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.36940 seconds with 80 queries