I lose faith in people on a daily basis - Page 3 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 21st, 2014, 02:28 PM   #41
TJJEEP
Senior Member
 
TJJEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Orchard Lake
Posts: 2,974
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to TJJEEP Send a message via MSN to TJJEEP
Default

As a parent we can all use this as a "teaching moment" on either side of this. For the kids left in the tournament tell them that's not how life is. For the kids being kicked out, tell them to never compromise.

What do parents who support this behavior expect to happen? Someone will always be there in the kids life to treat them with kid gloves?

Once these kids are 18/out of college life is gonna slap them upside the head and they are not going to know what to do.
TJJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old April 21st, 2014, 02:30 PM   #42
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,985
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Default

This type of behavior ranks right up there with snow days for me.

I GET the need for snow days for safety. But let's face it, we all still have to report to work, it's not teaching our children anything about the real world.

Are that many people really butthurt about not being very good at things?

As an adult I don't compete in anything to win, though I do win from time to time, I compete because I enjoy a good friendly competition followed by beer.

If you can't handle competition and getting beat, why would you enter a competition/tournament?

That said I don't know if they were asked to withdraw because of other competitors complaining, or if it was the organizers decision.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 02:42 PM   #43
jeepfreak81
81 inches of fun
 
jeepfreak81's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: Lennon, Mi
Posts: 12,381
iTrader: (23)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jeepfreak81 Send a message via MSN to jeepfreak81 Send a message via Yahoo to jeepfreak81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
Its similar to, say, bowling alleys.

You can manipulate the scores of average bowlers considerably by adjusting the oil patterns (i.e. the difficulty level). If you bowl 1-2 times a week, do you want to go somewhere that you do well, or get your butt kicked?

Will you go to the dyno that reads 20 hp high or 20 hp low?

So very well could be something like that.

Saw recently an article on how golf coursese are looking for ways to make the game easier, including a 15" wide cup! Because the numbesr of golfers under 35 is dropping badly, they need to make it easier to attract them, and lower scores = faster rounds = more golfers per day = profit!

Making the tournament easier means more people think they will have a chance to win. More entries, more profit.
I like that they want to attract them that way, though if it is locally they just really need to realize it's because people under 35 actually have to work long hours now. The standard 1st shift factory job with nice amounts of disposable income is long gone.

Michigan has the third highest number of golf courses in the country.
jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 02:50 PM   #44
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,985
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Saw recently an article on how golf coursese are looking for ways to make the game easier, including a 15" wide cup! Because the numbesr of golfers under 35 is dropping badly, they need to make it easier to attract them, and lower scores = faster rounds = more golfers per day = profit!

Making the tournament easier means more people think they will have a chance to win. More entries, more profit.
You have to actually want to golf for any of that to matter, and you have to be able to afford to golf.

I have golfed on and off for the last 9 years (i'm still under 35). Quite frankly even if I was scoring Tiger woods scores it wouldn't make me golf any more than I currently do (maybe 3-4 times a year).

Making the cup bigger would not change my golfing frequency.

Making the holes shorter would not change my golfing frequency. (I usually hit from the fartherst tee box anyway, not because I am good, but because it's there).

I don't understand the validity of this argument at all.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 02:57 PM   #45
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 22,361
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Default

If you want to compete, you need to be able to accept losing. It's that simple. I typically have only competed in things I felt I could be competitive in. I don't like losing so I don't compete in things that I am likely to lose at. It's really a pretty simple concept.
Losers shouldn't cry.
Winners shouldn't gloat.
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 03:53 PM   #46
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,795
iTrader: (58)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
I don't understand the validity of this argument at all.
I don't either. Golfers tend to be males, and we tend to be competative. Who knows. The article seemed goofy to me.


But I can understand why maybe they'd want to 'protect' their interests in a tournament, even if I don't agree with it.

off topic:

Snow days are lose-lose. If you have them, parent's bitch. If you don't, and something awful happens, parents sue.

We had a lot of days with air temps -10F, -15F this year. Sure, I get to go to work (although we had 2 snow/cold days at work also, which is a first!!), but i drive in a car. And I'm a 200lb+ piece of meat, I stay warm. My 5yr old cools down faster, and (not me) some parents drop their kids at the bus stop and leave. And the same crappy conditions makes the bus not come, then a 5yr old in -15F conditions for 20 minutes is not safe. And these damn parents will sue like crazy. I have no problem with snow days.

There are some lousy parents out there. Saw a 4th grade girl at our sons bus stop the other day, temp was in the 20s, girl was in short sleeve shirt, skirt above the knee, tennis shoes. same mom also runs late often, and calls my wife to stay with the kids at the stop until she can get there. I've mentioned it before, but I know we had a middle school incident with a real fire alarm that sent everyone outside for a long time (like an hour), and so many kids were in school dressed in clothes like that with no coats, they had to fire the busses up from central garage and bring thme to the school.

everyone's pissed this year, but we also basically just had the worst winter ever, so its hard to really compare it to anything in the past, since none of that can actually compare to this year.

/off topic
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 04:12 PM   #47
Christmas Cookie
rack tap re-rack click
 
Christmas Cookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: Genesee County
Posts: 13,530
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
This type of behavior ranks right up there with snow days for me.

I GET the need for snow days for safety. But let's face it, we all still have to report to work, it's not teaching our children anything about the real world.

Are that many people really butthurt about not being very good at things?

As an adult I don't compete in anything to win, though I do win from time to time, I compete because I enjoy a good friendly competition followed by beer.

If you can't handle competition and getting beat, why would you enter a competition/tournament?

That said I don't know if they were asked to withdraw because of other competitors complaining, or if it was the organizers decision.
good grief dude, if someone gave you a solid gold bar you would bitch it was too heavy or too shiny.
Christmas Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 07:46 PM   #48
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,985
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Center Hancho View Post
good grief dude, if someone gave you a solid gold bar you would bitch it was too heavy or too shiny.
Not true. If I said I liked something you'd just claim I was complaining.

Plus your argument is invalid, comparing stupid snow days to a gold bar is not logical.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 08:06 PM   #49
Gunsworth
Senior Member
 
Gunsworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 2,596
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Gunsworth
Default

Im about to deal with the other side of this. My son is signed up for a little kickers league for 3-4 year olds. He doesnt turn 3 until just after it starts. Hes gonna get schooled for sure by the sandbagging just turned 5 year olds, but we are doing it for the experience and could care less.
It will be interesting though since he's bigger than alot of 5 year olds. I have a feeling when he gets older he is gonna get shafted like the girls did because he is so damn big...
Gunsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 09:22 PM   #50
Immortal
NO RELIGION WAT!
 
Immortal's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: In my garage
Posts: 26,342
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Default

I soooo want to see Hancho and kickstand drunk together.
Immortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 09:25 PM   #51
bigbchevy
missmrgreenagain
 
bigbchevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-07
Location: fenton /hartland mi
Posts: 20,060
iTrader: (167)
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal View Post
I soooo want to see Hancho and kickstand drunk together.

Oh it brings the funny


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
H.o.r.e
(mr.green)So you are calling CC a liar?? Not a nice way to treat your bitch.
tube bending and gear installs pm me for info! gears installed for $150 and up per axle.
bigbchevy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 09:53 PM   #52
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,985
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal View Post
I soooo want to see Hancho and kickstand drunk together.
I don't drink anymore.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 10:29 PM   #53
marshall
locally famous
 
marshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-12-11
Location: mayville MI
Posts: 3,201
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Was this a coed tournament also?
marshall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 10:30 PM   #54
marshall
locally famous
 
marshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-12-11
Location: mayville MI
Posts: 3,201
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Also, u14 is under 14...not 14 and under
marshall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 12:42 AM   #55
BadMoonRacing500
Freedom isn't Free
 
BadMoonRacing500's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-11-10
Location: Harbor Springs MI
Posts: 856
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

This is like telling Babe Ruth, don't hit the ball so hard you made the pitcher cry, or telling Walter Payton and Barry Sanders, Don't juke so much and run so fast. The linebackers are sad and feel demoralized. Playing sports is about doing the Best you possibly can plus some and WINNING.. Nobody remembers who got second and who got a participation trophy.
BadMoonRacing500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 07:09 AM   #56
BlooMule
Jet powered
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 26,546
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMoonRacing500 View Post
This is like telling Babe Ruth, don't hit the ball so hard you made the pitcher cry, or telling Walter Payton and Barry Sanders, Don't juke so much and run so fast. The linebackers are sad and feel demoralized. Playing sports is about doing the Best you possibly can plus some and WINNING.. Nobody remembers who got second and who got a participation trophy.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 07:37 AM   #57
Sol Goode
Obama Nation!
 
Sol Goode's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Curt1656 & Scooters love castle
Posts: 14,529
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
I don't drink anymore.
Want to grab a beer this week?
__________________
#YOLO
#meballsohard
Sol Goode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 08:34 AM   #58
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,985
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Goode View Post
Want to grab a beer this week?
Yeah, I'm down
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 09:27 AM   #59
busyfixin
Balls Deep
 
busyfixin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-24-06
Location: williamsburg, MI
Posts: 3,317
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
Snow days are lose-lose. If you have them, parent's bitch. If you don't, and something awful happens, parents sue.

We had a lot of days with air temps -10F, -15F this year. Sure, I get to go to work (although we had 2 snow/cold days at work also, which is a first!!), but i drive in a car. And I'm a 200lb+ piece of meat, I stay warm. My 5yr old cools down faster, and (not me) some parents drop their kids at the bus stop and leave. And the same crappy conditions makes the bus not come, then a 5yr old in -15F conditions for 20 minutes is not safe. And these damn parents will sue like crazy. I have no problem with snow days.

There are some lousy parents out there. Saw a 4th grade girl at our sons bus stop the other day, temp was in the 20s, girl was in short sleeve shirt, skirt above the knee, tennis shoes. same mom also runs late often, and calls my wife to stay with the kids at the stop until she can get there. I've mentioned it before, but I know we had a middle school incident with a real fire alarm that sent everyone outside for a long time (like an hour), and so many kids were in school dressed in clothes like that with no coats, they had to fire the busses up from central garage and bring thme to the school.

everyone's pissed this year, but we also basically just had the worst winter ever, so its hard to really compare it to anything in the past, since none of that can actually compare to this year.

/off topic
All of this (IMO) is pretty much exactly the result of the "all equal" BS that is taught now days. The lady who leaves her kids out to freeze has no responsibility because she doesn't have to. She's equal to you. Instead of snow days, how about the school just holds her responsible for her kids? We have to hold everyone back because we don't want to tell her she needs to send her kid with a coat? That's too insulting or offensive? F' that, put her ass on the line! In order to have your kids go to school, (which is legally required) you have to bring all kinds of shit to the table (Paperwork, paperwork, paperwork, shots for all kinds of shit, BC, SSC, blood type, etc) but we can't require a fucking coat or other supplemental gear for the kids well being?

When we lived in Willow Alaska, the rule was indoor recess if it was colder than -20. I was in second grade at that time, (1991) and the same rule stands today. We didn't have snow days due to temperature because that is ridiculous.

It's the parents responsibility to get their kids on the bus regardless of their work schedule or the weather. That's part of being a parent. It's not the schools responsibility to make it easier. "Oh darn, it's cold out. We can't expect parent's to be responsible today, we'd better make it easier and just cancel it altogether."

Last edited by busyfixin; April 22nd, 2014 at 09:33 AM.
busyfixin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 10:10 AM   #60
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,985
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyfixin View Post
All of this (IMO) is pretty much exactly the result of the "all equal" BS that is taught now days. The lady who leaves her kids out to freeze has no responsibility because she doesn't have to. She's equal to you. Instead of snow days, how about the school just holds her responsible for her kids? We have to hold everyone back because we don't want to tell her she needs to send her kid with a coat? That's too insulting or offensive? F' that, put her ass on the line! In order to have your kids go to school, (which is legally required) you have to bring all kinds of shit to the table (Paperwork, paperwork, paperwork, shots for all kinds of shit, BC, SSC, blood type, etc) but we can't require a fucking coat or other supplemental gear for the kids well being?

When we lived in Willow Alaska, the rule was indoor recess if it was colder than -20. I was in second grade at that time, (1991) and the same rule stands today. We didn't have snow days due to temperature because that is ridiculous.

It's the parents responsibility to get their kids on the bus regardless of their work schedule or the weather. That's part of being a parent. It's not the schools responsibility to make it easier. "Oh darn, it's cold out. We can't expect parent's to be responsible today, we'd better make it easier and just cancel it altogether."
Amen.

But don't bitch about snow days, Hancho will think you're a complainer.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.34764 seconds with 80 queries