What Percent are you? - Page 5 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 17th, 2014, 07:09 PM   #81
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,920
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
that's racist
It's a yoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padilen View Post
My cousin (youngest) with 3 girls claims this too. Cue ball head.
His 2 brothers, one with both b/g one with boys only. Both have still have beautiful hair.
I know. I started loosing hair when I was 22. I just seem to get thinner with every kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
Wow time flies. It was like, not so long ago you were having your first and now #2 just over a year old.
You're telling me!
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old March 18th, 2014, 07:17 AM   #82
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,899
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
It's a yoke
and I laughed.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 08:10 AM   #83
feva4u
LCG
 
feva4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-01-07
Location: Petoskey, MI
Posts: 10,338
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

I read this today and thought of this thread:
"American achievements have made our lives better and safer and have helped to strengthen our children’s advancements in technological excellence. Americans are the greatest competitors in history. We want to be first -- we don’t like to lose. And, I contend, we and the world’s populations are better for it. Put simply, we make the rest of the world rise to our level if they want to compete."
Gene R. Grush is the former propulsion and power division chief at NASA Johnson Space Center in Houston.
__________________
My Jeep
feva4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 09:23 AM   #84
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,899
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Default

like
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 09:46 AM   #85
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,920
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by feva4u View Post
I read this today and thought of this thread:
"American achievements have made our lives better and safer and have helped to strengthen our children’s advancements in technological excellence. Americans are the greatest competitors in history. We want to be first -- we don’t like to lose. And, I contend, we and the world’s populations are better for it. Put simply, we make the rest of the world rise to our level if they want to compete."
Gene R. Grush is the former propulsion and power division chief at NASA Johnson Space Center in Houston.
Sounds like it's straight out of the 60's when it woild have been true. Dont get me wrong, Our country is great, just not as great as it used to be.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 10:33 AM   #86
TJJEEP
Senior Member
 
TJJEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Orchard Lake
Posts: 2,836
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to TJJEEP Send a message via MSN to TJJEEP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4cx View Post
sounds like it's straight out of the 60's when it woild have been true. Dont get me wrong, our country is great, just not as great as it used to be.
x2
__________________
If you're like me you like to talk to things. I'm Gary Busey!!
TJJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 10:51 AM   #87
feva4u
LCG
 
feva4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-01-07
Location: Petoskey, MI
Posts: 10,338
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
Sounds like it's straight out of the 60's when it woild have been true. Dont get me wrong, Our country is great, just not as great as it used to be.
Then you'd better get after it because you basically just stated that the current generations aren't holding up their end of the bargain. Maybe instead of majoring in philosophy you should have went into the science and industry to help the U.S. set pace To many art/culture/useless majors and not enough people in science/technology/industry. Welcome to Ancient Rome V27.4
__________________
My Jeep
feva4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 11:11 AM   #88
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,899
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by feva4u View Post
Then you'd better get after it because you basically just stated that the current generations aren't holding up their end of the bargain. Maybe instead of majoring in philosophy you should have went into the science and industry to help the U.S. set pace To many art/culture/useless majors and not enough people in science/technology/industry. Welcome to Ancient Rome V27.4


Agree.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 11:17 AM   #89
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 21,000
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by feva4u View Post
I read this today and thought of this thread:
"American achievements have made our lives better and safer and have helped to strengthen our children’s advancements in technological excellence. Americans are the greatest competitors in history. We want to be first -- we don’t like to lose. And, I contend, we and the world’s populations are better for it. Put simply, we make the rest of the world rise to our level if they want to compete."
Gene R. Grush is the former propulsion and power division chief at NASA Johnson Space Center in Houston.


Quote:
Originally Posted by feva4u View Post
Then you'd better get after it because you basically just stated that the current generations aren't holding up their end of the bargain. Maybe instead of majoring in philosophy you should have went into the science and industry to help the U.S. set pace To many art/culture/useless majors and not enough people in science/technology/industry. Welcome to Ancient Rome V27.4
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 02:40 PM   #90
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,920
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by feva4u View Post
Then you'd better get after it because you basically just stated that the current generations aren't holding up their end of the bargain. Maybe instead of majoring in philosophy you should have went into the science and industry to help the U.S. set pace To many art/culture/useless majors and not enough people in science/technology/industry. Welcome to Ancient Rome V27.4
I Majored in Stage Technologies. Will be going back for Organizational Management next fall. I have no degree of Theology or Philosophy. .

As long as companies are unwilling to use American labor, there is no point in getting into any of those fields. Japan has us on Technology, China has made industry far to cheap for companies to pay USA workers, and Science is.....well....Science.

I agree with you though. My Generation was force fed the idea that College is the #1 place to go after High School. That everybody should get a college education. I think that idea is one of the reasons's we're in the pickle we're in. I wonder how many would-be Journeymen Electricians, plumbers, carpenters etc. are off sitting in an office thinking about the meaning of life....and getting paid for it.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 02:54 PM   #91
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,899
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
I Majored in Stage Technologies. Will be going back for Organizational Management next fall. I have no degree of Theology or Philosophy. .

As long as companies are unwilling to use American labor, there is no point in getting into any of those fields. Japan has us on Technology, China has made industry far to cheap for companies to pay USA workers, and Science is.....well....Science.

I agree with you though. My Generation was force fed the idea that College is the #1 place to go after High School. That everybody should get a college education. I think that idea is one of the reasons's we're in the pickle we're in. I wonder how many would-be Journeymen Electricians, plumbers, carpenters etc. are off sitting in an office thinking about the meaning of life....and getting paid for it.
whoa, whoa, whoa, holy misunderstanding of the current demand for educated skilled technical talent in our market place.

I wonder how many currently unemployed people would be raking in 6 figures if they had gotten an engineering degree or IT degree, instead we have hundreds of thousands of Indians, Asians, and Middle Eastern folks applying for H1B's at a rate so fast that the allotted number released each year is used up in a matter of minutes (figuratively speaking). We have tons of foreign students working on OPT's because they have the skillsets employers need.

Tons and tons of non technical folks out there sitting on their asses, including but not limited to "would be" Journeymen Electricians, Plumbers, and carpenters. Though I hear those guys are getting back to work pretty steadily in the last few months/year.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 03:01 PM   #92
feva4u
LCG
 
feva4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-01-07
Location: Petoskey, MI
Posts: 10,338
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
whoa, whoa, whoa, holy misunderstanding of the current demand for educated skilled technical talent in our market place.

I wonder how many currently unemployed people would be raking in 6 figures if they had gotten an engineering degree or IT degree, instead we have hundreds of thousands of Indians, Asians, and Middle Eastern folks applying for H1B's at a rate so fast that the allotted number released each year is used up in a matter of minutes (figuratively speaking). We have tons of foreign students working on OPT's because they have the skillsets employers need.

Tons and tons of non technical folks out there sitting on their asses, including but not limited to "would be" Journeymen Electricians, Plumbers, and carpenters. Though I hear those guys are getting back to work pretty steadily in the last few months/year.
Not to mention that the rest of those people are not sitting in offices getting paid to think about the meaning of life, they're flipping burgers, taking orders, and washing dishes at restaurants. Guess what, if college wasn't that difficult, it should have been a clue about future employment.....
__________________
My Jeep
feva4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 03:06 PM   #93
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,920
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
whoa, whoa, whoa, holy misunderstanding of the current demand for educated skilled technical talent in our market place.

I wonder how many currently unemployed people would be raking in 6 figures if they had gotten an engineering degree or IT degree, instead we have hundreds of thousands of Indians, Asians, and Middle Eastern folks applying for H1B's at a rate so fast that the allotted number released each year is used up in a matter of minutes (figuratively speaking). We have tons of foreign students working on OPT's because they have the skillsets employers need.

Tons and tons of non technical folks out there sitting on their asses, including but not limited to "would be" Journeymen Electricians, Plumbers, and carpenters. Though I hear those guys are getting back to work pretty steadily in the last few months/year.

I think we're on the same page. Maybe just reading it differently. I agree with you. I was just saying that I wonder how many high schoolers went to college when they really could have gone right into an apprenticeship program and made more money then getting a Degree in Underwater basket weaving.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 03:42 PM   #94
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,899
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
I think we're on the same page. Maybe just reading it differently. I agree with you. I was just saying that I wonder how many high schoolers went to college when they really could have gone right into an apprenticeship program and made more money then getting a Degree in Underwater basket weaving.
No, we aren't on the same page.

What I am saying is that there are TONS of unemployed people out there with meaningless non technical degrees (we're on the same page there) but what you are not grasping is that the tech jobs you say are in japan or elsewhere, are here and we're employing tons of foreign workers who have advanced degrees (beyond bachelor's) that they have earned here, on our soil, at our universities, with grants from our government, that americans chose not to earn.

There are STILL a ton of open tech jobs, and they are STILL getting gobbled up by foreigners who come here and beat our own citizens out for them.

Yes, there are jobs for manufacturing in China and Japan, but there is plenty of work that is happening in the states. The "labor" you speak of is an unskilled labor force.

Why do people think GM makes cars in China? To sell in china perhaps? Why does Toyota "make" cars here? To sell in the US perhaps? Why does Nissan keep me busier than shit? Because they are doing work on US soil to sell cars here, just like GM/Ford does in other countries. Global economy my friend.

Bikes, TV's, Electronics, etc. Sure, primarily taking place elsewhere, but it doesn't have to...but we can't fill the tech jobs we have, we have to import labor (skilled) to do so, why would a company want to set up shop here?

Last edited by kickstand; March 18th, 2014 at 03:46 PM.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2014, 10:03 PM   #95
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,445
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
I Majored in Stage Technologies. Will be going back for Organizational Management next fall. I have no degree of Theology or Philosophy. .

As long as companies are unwilling to use American labor, there is no point in getting into any of those fields. Japan has us on Technology, China has made industry far to cheap for companies to pay USA workers, and Science is.....well....Science.

I agree with you though. My Generation was force fed the idea that College is the #1 place to go after High School. That everybody should get a college education. I think that idea is one of the reasons's we're in the pickle we're in. I wonder how many would-be Journeymen Electricians, plumbers, carpenters etc. are off sitting in an office thinking about the meaning of life....and getting paid for it.
My generation (for reference, I'm 48) was also fed the idea that anyone with 1/2 a brain and any desire to get head in life should go to college. There was no alternative seriously discussed. The only question was which type of engineer will you be. (I dropped out and became a designer)

I don't remember anyone pursuing degrees in stage technology or Organizational Management.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2014, 10:30 PM   #96
TJJEEP
Senior Member
 
TJJEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Orchard Lake
Posts: 2,836
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to TJJEEP Send a message via MSN to TJJEEP
Default

I know someone who has a master degree of guitar. Yes, I'm serious, that exists. He gives guitar lessons for a living. I can't imagine his school debt.

In the way the topic shifted, I believe there is a lot wrong with education/motivation/expectations in this country. There is a lot to go into but here is my summary.

People were pushed to get degrees - for everything. You have people graduating college going into jobs that pay $10 because competition dictates that everyone has a degree.

People were pushed away from trades which I believe is a mistake. You can earn a good living in skilled trades and even better if you go into business for yourself.

Millenials are whiney bitches. They need a trophy for everything. My wife is a director at a health plan. She hires 20-25 year olds. They don't understand why they can't be in management after six months of work. Many quit when they realize the ladder they have to climb. Parents made it too easy for their kids. People need to earn thing in order to appreciate things.

The real winners are colleges in all of this.
__________________
If you're like me you like to talk to things. I'm Gary Busey!!
TJJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2014, 10:31 PM   #97
BlooMule
pew pew
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 24,665
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Default

Aaaaand, there are those that aren't cut out for Technical Careers.

Our schools have pretty much abandoned those whose skills are more along the line of fabrication, repair, manufacturing.... Go to college! Be an Engineer!

I don't begrudge anyone with a degree- but on a continual basis I run into people who are 'engineers' that would make great repairmen, but are marginal engineers.

Oh, and apparently my skill set is prized by my employer since I got a pretty decent raise and extra paid vacation just by saying I was thinking of going back into stamping...
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2014, 01:21 AM   #98
gofastbobby
The guy Dale doesn't know
 
gofastbobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-10-07
Location: kalamazoo, mi
Posts: 4,168
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Pardon me while I blame society with a quick rant.

Our school counselors and teachers need to stop referring to Vocational Education as a dumping ground for pain in the ass students.

I learned many critical skills beyond the CAD, machining and welding courses during my time at vo-tech. Skills like how to be prepared for an interview. Many of my college educated classmates never learned this. While they are flipping burgers and trying to figure out how to pay for their liberal arts/social work/history and/or english degrees, I have been gaining experience, training, and job knowledge in my chosen career.

There are many great careers out there that don't require a college degree and the massive student loans that accompany a degree. Our educators need to recognize and support these options.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatFender View Post
America! Fuck yeah!

Last edited by gofastbobby; March 20th, 2014 at 01:25 AM.
gofastbobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2014, 04:41 AM   #99
Rob the plumber
Licensed master plumber
 
Rob the plumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-14-06
Location: New Baltimore, Michigan
Posts: 5,632
iTrader: (32)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Plumbing isn't a bad career either. It's never going to be obsolete, and they can't send it overseas.
Rob the plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2014, 06:38 AM   #100
feva4u
LCG
 
feva4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-01-07
Location: Petoskey, MI
Posts: 10,338
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJEEP View Post
Millenials are whiney bitches. They need a trophy for everything. My wife is a director at a health plan. She hires 20-25 year olds. They don't understand why they can't be in management after six months of work. Many quit when they realize the ladder they have to climb. Parents made it too easy for their kids. People need to earn thing in order to appreciate things.

The real winners are colleges in all of this.
Your wife needs to improve her skill set if she has people quitting continuously after 6 months. If they don't understand what the ladder is and what is needed to progress in the organization, she hasn't explained it very well and ultimately it's her failure. Sarry. Sometimes you have to look in the mirror if those working for you continue to fail.
__________________
My Jeep
feva4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.27414 seconds with 80 queries