Random Thoughts: Firearms Edition - Page 24 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > Other Stuff > The Great Outdoors
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Great Outdoors Guns, Cannons, Fishing, Camping, and other fun stuff

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old February 26th, 2014, 09:43 AM   #461
974x4Taco
Flex Is OverRated
 
974x4Taco's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-19-06
Location: Battle Creek
Posts: 2,112
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

FlatFender....how did taking your wife shooting for the first time go? Once it warms up i need to take my girlfriend (she's 32...never even held a gun) for the first time. That's a big part of me wanting a XDs 9 4.0...my plan is let her start with my Nagant revolver which is about like shooting a .22. From there though the only other pistol i have is my XDs in .45 and while i have no doubts she can handle it i would rather have something a little tamer. I figure buy the 9mm version....if she likes shooting great....if not the gun is something i would like to own anyway.
974x4Taco is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old February 26th, 2014, 09:56 AM   #462
FlatFender
Tap Tap Splat
 
FlatFender's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 15,801
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 974x4Taco View Post
FlatFender....how did taking your wife shooting for the first time go? Once it warms up i need to take my girlfriend (she's 32...never even held a gun) for the first time. That's a big part of me wanting a XDs 9 4.0...my plan is let her start with my Nagant revolver which is about like shooting a .22. From there though the only other pistol i have is my XDs in .45 and while i have no doubts she can handle it i would rather have something a little tamer. I figure buy the 9mm version....if she likes shooting great....if not the gun is something i would like to own anyway.
Stuff came up at work, so we didn't end up going unfortunately. Hopefully sometime in March.
FlatFender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 11:19 PM   #463
FlatFender
Tap Tap Splat
 
FlatFender's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 15,801
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1393474767447.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	114536
FlatFender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 04:42 AM   #464
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 22,329
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Default

Lol
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 08:18 AM   #465
GreaseMonkey
Pew pew!
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 18,043
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

So my CAI M1 Garand is somewhat fixed, other than it ejecting the clip halfway through 8 rounds. I'm thinking of taking the loss and selling it instead of putting money into it. I paid $700 for it (chastise me all you want). What would be a reasonable price to sell it off to someone who may want a project? I'm thinking $500.
__________________
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 08:21 AM   #466
SS
Doing stuff...and things.
 
SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: 48309
Posts: 12,147
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Default

$500 is a good price.
__________________
-Jer

SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 09:38 AM   #467
8PTBUCK
The local hipster, yo!
 
8PTBUCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-02-09
Location: Waterford/Gladwin, MI
Posts: 5,838
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Default

Thinking about getting a Blackhawk Serpa level 2 holster. Anybody have experience with them?
8PTBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 09:46 AM   #468
SS
Doing stuff...and things.
 
SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: 48309
Posts: 12,147
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8PTBUCK View Post
Thinking about getting a Blackhawk Serpa level 2 holster. Anybody have experience with them?
Yep. Good holster. I've been using them for a long time (including deployed).

Prepare to be bombarded by people claiming you'll shoot yourself all the time while drawing the pistol from it though.
__________________
-Jer

SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 09:53 AM   #469
8PTBUCK
The local hipster, yo!
 
8PTBUCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-02-09
Location: Waterford/Gladwin, MI
Posts: 5,838
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS View Post
Yep. Good holster. I've been using them for a long time (including deployed).

Prepare to be bombarded by people claiming you'll shoot yourself all the time while drawing the pistol from it though.
Blackhawk has the Serpa Sportster and then the level 2. Is there a difference besides price? I tried the sportster last night and I really liked it, but I wanted to try the level 2 before I made a decision. They didn't have the level 2 though.

This is what I'm looking at

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blackhawk-Sp...item565f11ada4
8PTBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 09:55 AM   #470
SS
Doing stuff...and things.
 
SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: 48309
Posts: 12,147
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Default

Looks to be about the same thing that I have but in a paddle configuration instead of drop leg. Can't really go wrong with it. Extremely good retention, easy draw and durable.
__________________
-Jer

SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 09:57 AM   #471
SS
Doing stuff...and things.
 
SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: 48309
Posts: 12,147
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Default

I will add though:

If you tend to immediately curl your finger around the trigger the second the pistol is clear of the holster... find another one or fix your bad habit.
__________________
-Jer

SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 09:59 AM   #472
8PTBUCK
The local hipster, yo!
 
8PTBUCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-02-09
Location: Waterford/Gladwin, MI
Posts: 5,838
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS View Post
Looks to be about the same thing that I have but in a paddle configuration instead of drop leg. Can't really go wrong with it. Extremely good retention, easy draw and durable.
I'm not cool enough to have the drop leg config

How about the CQC holsters? I guess they are made with stronger polymers compared to the Sportster?
8PTBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 10:00 AM   #473
SS
Doing stuff...and things.
 
SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: 48309
Posts: 12,147
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8PTBUCK View Post
I'm not cool enough to have the drop leg config

How about the CQC holsters? I guess they are made with stronger polymers compared to the Sportster?
Are you going into combat? Plan on falling hard on it, dragging yourself through the dirt with it, etc?
__________________
-Jer

SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 10:00 AM   #474
concreteguy82
Yeah Buddy!!
 
concreteguy82's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-01-11
Location: Clio, Michigan
Posts: 2,976
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 974x4Taco View Post
Good to know on the 930's.....i already have one picky semi auto 12ga (Remington 58)...don't need another.
I love my 58. Mine is a magnum, so it is VERY picky about what it will cycle. I'm pretty much stuck with 2-3/4" High brass on the "L" setting or 3" on the "H" setting. The only thing that really bugs me is the 3 round limit(not an issue other than when goofing off trying to walk a coffee can) . Other than that I've put thousands of shells through it and it has held up great.
concreteguy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 10:12 AM   #475
8PTBUCK
The local hipster, yo!
 
8PTBUCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-02-09
Location: Waterford/Gladwin, MI
Posts: 5,838
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS View Post
Are you going into combat? Plan on falling hard on it, dragging yourself through the dirt with it, etc?
I see your point. Maybe I'll just get the Sportster I tried yesterday. Really felt good and it came with a belt mount which is what I want.

Got my dad a 590A1 for his birthday
8PTBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 01:51 PM   #476
974x4Taco
Flex Is OverRated
 
974x4Taco's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-19-06
Location: Battle Creek
Posts: 2,112
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by concreteguy82 View Post
I love my 58. Mine is a magnum, so it is VERY picky about what it will cycle. I'm pretty much stuck with 2-3/4" High brass on the "L" setting or 3" on the "H" setting. The only thing that really bugs me is the 3 round limit(not an issue other than when goofing off trying to walk a coffee can) . Other than that I've put thousands of shells through it and it has held up great.

Mines not too bad....only thing i ever had an issue with was some reloads my buddy had....wouldn't cycle for anything. It will cycle every factory load i have ever tried
974x4Taco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 03:28 PM   #477
FlatFender
Tap Tap Splat
 
FlatFender's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 15,801
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

I'm here to bombard you by telling you it's a shitty design, it's been banned by many Law Enforcement departments, trainers, FLETC, ranges, and more. If you need retention, look at the Safariland ALS holsters.

In hundreds of competitive shooting matches, shooting thousands of stages, I've seen exactly two people fire their gun while drawing from their holster, both were running SERPAs.

One guy Texas Grebnered his leg, and the other guy had the round impact just in front of his big toe.

Any holster design where I have to train myself not to shoot myself is a shitty design.
FlatFender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 03:32 PM   #478
SS
Doing stuff...and things.
 
SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: 48309
Posts: 12,147
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Default

Or you can simply keep your finger off the trigger until you have the pistol pointed at your target.

If you can't manage that you shouldn't have a firearm at all.
__________________
-Jer

SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 03:43 PM   #479
FlatFender
Tap Tap Splat
 
FlatFender's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 15,801
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS View Post
Or you can simply keep your finger off the trigger until you have the pistol pointed at your target.

If you can't manage that you shouldn't have a firearm at all.
Trouble arises when stress is induced. The persons finger slips off of the edge of the holster, right onto the trigger. Bang.

ALS is a better design, and a higher quality holster.
FlatFender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 04:20 PM   #480
Rebel2345
NOT GL4x4SucksVideo guy.
 
Rebel2345's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-01-07
Location: MI
Posts: 3,091
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

My finger always slid off onto the trigger guard.. Even when I started with a Fobus, I didn't have to do anything different with the Serpa with the lock. Its just the spot my finger always went to.
Rebel2345 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > Other Stuff > The Great Outdoors
Tags
meballs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.25703 seconds with 81 queries