Found a new DR to hate. - Page 2 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 31st, 2013, 09:10 AM   #21
ckupq
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
 
ckupq's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA 52402
Posts: 3,394
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
I'm just moving from orthootics at all times to the "new right" running shoes (ultra high arches/mondo padding) - Brooks Glycerin and Mizuno Wave Riders - on alternating days. The alternating shoes are supposed to build foot back up. So far, so good. Well that, and an entirely new gait as well - moving from a heel strike to a midfoot strike. I'm starting to question the whole running idea...
As gay as it sounds the impact is killing you. If you can move to a bike or an elliptical machine. The impact isn't as bad. I had to do this for a while when mine got real bad.
ckupq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old December 31st, 2013, 10:27 AM   #22
93yj06unlimited
Senior Member
 
93yj06unlimited's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-02-09
Location: Scotts, Mi
Posts: 493
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I feel your pain. I had a Morton's neuroma ( tumor ) on a nerve in my foot . It required cortisone shots every couple weeks both in the bottom and top of the foot. I personally think the one's going through the top hurt worse but everybody is different. Padillen as far as these being men, well I have 2 sister in laws and a niece that have had kidney stones and children and they all say they would much rather have to go through labor again then have kidney stones again. I have had several kidney stones and even worked while having kidney stone attacks. Had to keep running to trash containers or the bathroom to throw up from the nausea. They say stones are worse for men as we have the extra equipment it has to pass through. I also walked around for 3 months and went through physical therapy with a spine broke in two places until the therapist told my family doctor that there was something more serious than torn muscles.
93yj06unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 10:33 AM   #23
WSU JK
Senior Member
 
WSU JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-25-08
Location: Lowering the Per-Capita Income of Bloomfield Hills since 2009!
Posts: 2,576
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

I've had three cortisone shots in my wrist over the years, a cinder block fall on my head from two floors up, and been hit by a car while riding a bicycle but the worst pain I've ever experienced was when I got my pointer and middle fingers stuck in one of the heavy water/fire proof hatches of the USS Saipan. I went into shock from the pain and the sight of the bones of both sticking through the skin.
WSU JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 11:10 AM   #24
DuffMan
Your Message Here
 
DuffMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: The Ile of Grosse
Posts: 5,837
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckupq View Post
As gay as it sounds the impact is killing you. If you can move to a bike or an elliptical machine. The impact isn't as bad. I had to do this for a while when mine got real bad.
That, and I'm an old fatass.

I got into running half marathons with my daughter - before that i was biking instead. Will probably settle into a 50/50 blend of biking and running.
__________________
This is the Pub. Leave common sense at the door.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 11:32 AM   #25
Trutz
Regulator
 
Trutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-09-12
Location: Dewitt, MI
Posts: 18
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSU JK View Post
I've had three cortisone shots in my wrist over the years, a cinder block fall on my head from two floors up, and been hit by a car while riding a bicycle but the worst pain I've ever experienced was when I got my pointer and middle fingers stuck in one of the heavy water/fire proof hatches of the USS Saipan. .
Damn. I thought I had some bad luck with injuries...
Trutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 11:50 AM   #26
stinkpickle
bitter clinger
 
stinkpickle's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-21-07
Location: Millbury, OH
Posts: 1,111
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Was just taking with local running store. Guy I was talking to was a marathon runner and had PF, he recommended going to a soft as shoe as possible and an insert. recommended Hoka brand running shoes, anybody have these? What do you think of them?
stinkpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 01:58 PM   #27
Padilen
Senior Member
 
Padilen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-17-12
Location: LeRoy Michigan
Posts: 1,750
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default Found a new DR to hate.

For the record I've not had any kids.
But I've had a lot of injuries and pain.
Nobody is the same, we all feel it different.
Women are more likely to ignore their own Heath.
I have had recent health issues that I now believe should have been diagnosed sooner if I had explained my symptoms better. And insisted something was wrong.
This last time I went in and asked 3 things-
1 was it the cholesterol pills, (new gov. Guidelines for women's health ) 2 could I be tested for rheumatoid arthritis,
3 was it all in my head?
I told Dr, I get it I've had a lot of injuries and I expect some pain. But not every part at the same time.
Test came back and I was told Hashimoto disease and " you probably had it a long time".
Arthritis number high, but could be disease.Injuries that I remember
Baseball bat to right side of head- went to dentist not Dr,
2 hair line fractures of jaw.
Collar bone/ shoulder, ribs , most likely closed head injury. Lost 3 weeks, hospital lost records of visit to ER. Person that found me claims broken collar bone and separated shoulder, broken ribs. Shoulder locked up and therapy for 3 months. Loss of some range of motion, still.
Crushed right ankle and broken fibula.Massive hematoma from tractor accident. - I see a surgeon in January. Dr now say it should have been removed when it accrued in 05.
Surgery for masses and hysterectomy, September, other masses need follow up in 2014.
Ankle fusion in November.Walking cast hopefully on Thursday.
And at some point in my life most likely Broken nose, broken right eye socket, this from my ENT specialist when I had Cat scans for my sinus surgeries. And then there is Tinnitus.
BUT, the one thing that I HOPE know- one has to experience, Is VERTIGO it's not that it's painful it is just too,Weird, freaky, Scary, probably the one thing that scared me. But back to Dr, read my post about my uncle in f### cancer thread.His original Dr shouldn't be a dr anymore.

Last edited by Padilen; December 31st, 2013 at 02:02 PM.
Padilen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 02:03 PM   #28
BlooMule
pew pew
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 24,732
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSU JK View Post
I've had three cortisone shots in my wrist over the years, a cinder block fall on my head from two floors up, and been hit by a car while riding a bicycle but the worst pain I've ever experienced was when I got my pointer and middle fingers stuck in one of the heavy water/fire proof hatches of the USS Saipan. I went into shock from the pain and the sight of the bones of both sticking through the skin.

__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 02:03 PM   #29
Padilen
Senior Member
 
Padilen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-17-12
Location: LeRoy Michigan
Posts: 1,750
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

I don't know why my post has all those spaces I tried editing but still there. Sorry.
Padilen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 02:37 PM   #30
93yj06unlimited
Senior Member
 
93yj06unlimited's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-02-09
Location: Scotts, Mi
Posts: 493
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Man Padilen sounds like you and I have lived life to the fullest. My list of injuries goes on and on also. My family doc told me many years ago " someday you're going to be a crippled old man because of all your injuries". Guess I should have listened. My wife tells all her female friends when the conversation comes up about women being able to handle more pain then men, that she knows first hand I can handle more than anyone she knows. She also says and she is right just don't give me a cold as I become the biggest baby ever when I can't breathe.
93yj06unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 03:07 PM   #31
WSU JK
Senior Member
 
WSU JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-25-08
Location: Lowering the Per-Capita Income of Bloomfield Hills since 2009!
Posts: 2,576
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkpickle View Post
Was just taking with local running store. Guy I was talking to was a marathon runner and had PF, he recommended going to a soft as shoe as possible and an insert. recommended Hoka brand running shoes, anybody have these? What do you think of them?
I'm a runner and have been for years. For the past 5 years or so I've always been running in zero-drop shoes with minimal cushioning. This year I had been battling stress fractures in both tibias and decided to switch things up and get a shoe with more padding. I had heard good things about both Hoka and Newton and tried out a few models from each. The Hoka were very cushiony, too much so for what I was used to though and I just couldn't get comfortable in them, even after a few miles of testing. I ended up going with the Newton Distance the overuse problems I was having went away almost instantly.

Both brands have a hugely devoted cult following and if you go look at the some of the threads on the Runners World forums, you will see a lot of positive reviews of each.
WSU JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 03:43 PM   #32
stinkpickle
bitter clinger
 
stinkpickle's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-21-07
Location: Millbury, OH
Posts: 1,111
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Found a new DR to hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSU JK View Post
I'm a runner and have been for years. For the past 5 years or so I've always been running in zero-drop shoes with minimal cushioning. This year I had been battling stress fractures in both tibias and decided to switch things up and get a shoe with more padding. I had heard good things about both Hoka and Newton and tried out a few models from each. The Hoka were very cushiony, too much so for what I was used to though and I just couldn't get comfortable in them, even after a few miles of testing. I ended up going with the Newton Distance the overuse problems I was having went away almost instantly.

Both brands have a hugely devoted cult following and if you go look at the some of the threads on the Runners World forums, you will see a lot of positive reviews of each.

Good post, very informative. Thank you. I'll check out Newton distance . I run exclusively on a treadmill with little incline 3.5. I would like to eventually get into some mud runs and other cross country style events. Any training advice for a middle aged guy with Diabetis and one bad foot?
stinkpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 04:47 PM   #33
mideerslayer
NEVER GIVE UP!
 
mideerslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-27-06
Location: Clinton Township
Posts: 3,836
iTrader: (29)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I have had my fair share of injuries and surgeries and The two things that stand out as the Painful Is when they did the injection on my lower back (underfloroscope) to see if I had a blown disk, well they inject this stuff to inflate the area and when he injected the stuff I almost puked and then passed out.

The other one is I had a spot right below the belt line and it was rubbing against my boxers and it got raw. Well being the dumbass that I am I didnt think anything off it until it got infected.

Well the er dept had to open it up and scrape it out, well they gave a shot of diluid but in my arm not thru a IV. I felt every little movement when they were taking this spoon looking thing and digging out the infection. I was on anti-biotics from when I first went to the dr and thought they got it all out. Well a second trip to the er and with a ultra sound they found more, and out came the spoon again.

I then spent the next 4 days in the infectious disease floor being pumped full of every antibiotic they had, since they were treating me for sepsis.

I could go on and on with pain stories but these two were by far the worst.
mideerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 09:59 PM   #34
WSU JK
Senior Member
 
WSU JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-25-08
Location: Lowering the Per-Capita Income of Bloomfield Hills since 2009!
Posts: 2,576
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkpickle View Post
Good post, very informative. Thank you. I'll check out Newton distance . I run exclusively on a treadmill with little incline 3.5. I would like to eventually get into some mud runs and other cross country style events. Any training advice for a middle aged guy with Diabetis and one bad foot?
For somebody with diabetes and a bad foot already, I'd stay away from those big organized mud runs and obstacle runs. Those are breading grounds for infections.

However, if you just want to get more into running in general (on trails, roads, or tracks), check out the local running shops. Most of them have groups that meet at their stores on a regular schedule and are very accepting of folks of any skill level. It can be a great motivator to get you out there.
WSU JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2014, 06:32 AM   #35
stinkpickle
bitter clinger
 
stinkpickle's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-21-07
Location: Millbury, OH
Posts: 1,111
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Found a new DR to hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSU JK View Post
For somebody with diabetes and a bad foot already, I'd stay away from those big organized mud runs and obstacle runs. Those are breading grounds for infections.



However, if you just want to get more into running in general (on trails, roads, or tracks), check out the local running shops. Most of them have groups that meet at their stores on a regular schedule and are very accepting of folks of any skill level. It can be a great motivator to get you out there.


Infections and issues with healing are not a problem for a well controlled diabetic.
I am a well controlled type 1 diabetic and have zero issues with this stuff. My concern would be proper pre-race diet and training. Anyway at this point, I'm most concerned about getting through and prevention of this god-awful condition so I can continue running.
stinkpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2014, 07:22 AM   #36
MusKegon_ZJ_gurl
Senior Member
 
MusKegon_ZJ_gurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-10-08
Location: 49442
Posts: 16,319
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Cortisone shots are FAR WORSE than childbirth!

I had DeQuervain Syndrome in my left wrist. The temporary fix to this was shooting it full of cortisone, which lasted about 8 weeks.
I ended up having surgery...that I was conscious for and watched!
__________________
Associate Membership Secretary/Membership Secretary
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
Support The Sport!

We must all go through a rite of passage and it must be physical, it must be painful, and it must leave a mark.
MusKegon_ZJ_gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2014, 08:54 AM   #37
stinkpickle
bitter clinger
 
stinkpickle's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-21-07
Location: Millbury, OH
Posts: 1,111
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Found a new DR to hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusKegon_ZJ_gurl View Post
Cortisone shots are FAR WORSE than childbirth!

I had DeQuervain Syndrome in my left wrist. The temporary fix to this was shooting it full of cortisone, which lasted about 8 weeks.
I ended up having surgery...that I was conscious for and watched!

Yikes! It's funny and predictable, women immediately want to bring in child birth comparisons to this type of conversation. Was telling my wife about the events of my dr. visit when she immediately played the labor and delivery cards. If this was a competition, it ended there. So did the conversation. Not a lot to be said after the topic of pushing a living creature through sensitive loins is brought into the conversation.
stinkpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2014, 09:18 AM   #38
MusKegon_ZJ_gurl
Senior Member
 
MusKegon_ZJ_gurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-10-08
Location: 49442
Posts: 16,319
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkpickle View Post
Yikes! It's funny and predictable, women immediately want to bring in child birth comparisons to this type of conversation. Was telling my wife about the events of my dr. visit when she immediately played the labor and delivery cards. If this was a competition, it ended there. So did the conversation. Not a lot to be said after the topic of pushing a living creature through sensitive loins is brought into the conversation.
Obviously, these women have never had a cortisone shot.
__________________
Associate Membership Secretary/Membership Secretary
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
Support The Sport!

We must all go through a rite of passage and it must be physical, it must be painful, and it must leave a mark.
MusKegon_ZJ_gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2014, 09:21 AM   #39
MusKegon_ZJ_gurl
Senior Member
 
MusKegon_ZJ_gurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-10-08
Location: 49442
Posts: 16,319
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

That baby spitting pain can't not even compare to the pain of this shot.
I birthed 3 children, willingly...wantfuly. I would NEVER chose to have another cortisone shot!
__________________
Associate Membership Secretary/Membership Secretary
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
Support The Sport!

We must all go through a rite of passage and it must be physical, it must be painful, and it must leave a mark.
MusKegon_ZJ_gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2014, 09:28 AM   #40
High Center Hancho
rack tap re-rack click
 
High Center Hancho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: Genesee County
Posts: 12,947
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

The list of injuries is not a measure of how full you have lived your life...in fact one could argue that you suck at life as a result of not being able to finish the race....



















































On a more serious note, I thank my skill as a person and god that I haven't had any major injuries in life. I hope you all feel better
High Center Hancho is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.34217 seconds with 80 queries