animal shelters - Page 2 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 20th, 2013, 10:09 PM   #21
kerryann
German cars are hot
 
kerryann's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: West Bloomfield
Posts: 11,442
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

A lot of the shelters are staffed by volunteers so their hours are usually more restrictive. I haven't heard of a shelter that we have volunteered at having that many restrictions. They did have you fill out a form but I don't think they called an employer or even a vet. They may have required an in home visit though. Fenced yards wouldn't go well around here since so many neighborhood are fenceless.
One of the girls I work with volunteers at a shelter on this side of the state if you want to have me arrange for her to set you up with a pup. They do get a lot of pitbulls. They have a sweet red one right now. They also have a german shorthaired pointer named molly.
kerryann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old December 20th, 2013, 10:12 PM   #22
Ebs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: MI
Posts: 3,377
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Might help find a more accommodating shelter:

http://theshelterpetproject.org/
http://www.petfinder.com/
Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 10:15 PM   #23
BlooMule
Jet powered
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 25,689
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Center Hancho View Post
No but I could sell her...pure bread jack Russell, those things are worth some coin
If you didn't get her fixed, you could pimp her out for extra $$$
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 10:20 PM   #24
Dylan
Senior Member
 
Dylan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-24-06
Location: K-zoo
Posts: 1,125
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

dog shelters make it hard to get a dog because there is a good chance the dog came from a bad situation. The last thing they want is for the dog to go back to the same or a worst situation. Yes there are a lot of people will try and get dogs for fighting but there are even more people that will get a dog just because they think its cool to have. They have no idea of how much work/money it takes to take care of a dog. We have 7. 4 min pins and 3 put bulls. all are rescues. The two pits are from Florida. Yes the fiancé saw them on a friends post and they were underweight and abused. We put the effort to drive down to FL to get them. We had to do a home visit along with background/vet check. It does help that we do help out our local rescue here in town so they helped back us.

If you are willing to give this dog a good life, for the rest of its life, the effort of the checks shouldn't be a big deal. Our rescue also requires a fenced in yard but will make exceptions if the adopters can give the dog enough attention. If you still want to look into rescues, hit me up and check out Animal Rescue Project. They are in Kalamazoo. They hold adoption events on Sat and Sundays most every week at the building behind the root bear stand on Westnedge.
Dylan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 10:40 PM   #25
Padilen
Senior Member
 
Padilen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-17-12
Location: LeRoy Michigan
Posts: 1,750
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default animal shelters

showpost.php?p=3581390

No but I could sell her...pure bread jack Russell, those things are worth some coin
Is that unleavened bread or maybe it's a whole grain?

Last edited by Padilen; December 20th, 2013 at 10:46 PM.
Padilen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 06:00 AM   #26
Wehan
Senior Member
 
Wehan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-07-06
Location: Charlotte, MI
Posts: 2,600
iTrader: (25)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Center Hancho View Post
No but I could sell her...pure bread miniature pitbull, those things are worth some coin
Fixedded
__________________
Wehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 07:12 AM   #27
marshall
locally famous
 
marshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-12-11
Location: mayville MI
Posts: 3,037
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

What the heck is a min pin?
marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 07:17 AM   #28
Padilen
Senior Member
 
Padilen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-17-12
Location: LeRoy Michigan
Posts: 1,750
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Miniature Doberman Pincher.
Padilen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 08:15 AM   #29
Immortal
NO RELIGION WAT!
 
Immortal's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: In my garage
Posts: 26,101
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Center Hancho View Post
No but I could sell her...pure bread jack Russell, those things are worth some coin
Immortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 08:25 AM   #30
CheapThrillB2
FAWK YEAH!!
 
CheapThrillB2's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-06-06
Location: Middleville, MI
Posts: 31,299
iTrader: (61)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
What the heck is a min pin?
CheapThrillB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2013, 09:41 AM   #31
dreezy
Haggard Fab
 
dreezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: Holland Mi
Posts: 10,167
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to dreezy Send a message via MSN to dreezy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
What the heck is a min pin?
An annoying as fukc doberman. My sister has two, I want to punt them both.
__________________
"you think you're precious, I think you're shit."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
Ryan, if I wanted any shit from you, I'd go looking for Leah's strap-on.
dreezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 09:29 AM   #32
deathbypsi
Brian R.
 
deathbypsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-08-07
Location: Temperance Mi
Posts: 2,026
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to deathbypsi
Default

I went through same bullshit in Aug.

My 11yr old male Rottie passed away on May 10th and soon after my 6yr old female Rottie went into depression.She would hide in my room,didnt want to go outside,started crapping in house,afraid of EVERYBODY that came in the house.And she was a happy,playful and social dog before my boy passed.


I decided to adopt a rescue dog that was as close to her age as possible.Puppies are to much work and puppies always seem to find a home anyway.I figured by asking for an older dog it be much easier to get one. Everybody told me to use Petfinder.com since its a data base of many shelters and rescues and I could just "shop" from my computer.

Well I found a couple dogs I liked and filled out their very invasive and personal application form. I received an email saying I was turned down.I sent an email back asking why and was told it was because my vet only had records for my male rottie and not my younger female.I explained that she has never gone because she has never had a reason to go,it was my other rottie that had many,many visits over his long life.You could clearly see I spared no expense on him over the years.Thankfully my female has been in perfect health since day one. I also explained how my now ex-wife is a vet-tech and has done all of their shots,check ups and preventative maintenance.

I got back a nasty email calling me a "horrible pet owner" and "we will see that you never get an animal from any organization"

I ended up taking my female with me to the Monroe County Humane Society {which I donate $5 a week out of my paycheck} and the Lucas County HS and we must have met 15 different dogs but my girl didnt like any of them.

By pure luck next time I went to Petco for dog food they were having an Adoptothon and an organization called Dogworks Inc {www.dogworksohio.com} that specialized in rescuing sporting and game dogs was there with a half dozen dogs. I found a very cool golden lab/baset hound mix and they brought him rite to my house to check out my place and my other dog.Everything went great and both dogs hit it off great.I cut her a check for $125 and ended up with a perfect dog. I swear they are both in love with each other and it couldnt have ended up any better.
deathbypsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 09:31 AM   #33
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,389
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
dog shelters make it hard to get a dog because there is a good chance the dog came from a bad situation. The last thing they want is for the dog to go back to the same or a worst situation. Yes there are a lot of people will try and get dogs for fighting but there are even more people that will get a dog just because they think its cool to have. They have no idea of how much work/money it takes to take care of a dog. We have 7. 4 min pins and 3 put bulls. all are rescues. The two pits are from Florida. Yes the fiancé saw them on a friends post and they were underweight and abused. We put the effort to drive down to FL to get them. We had to do a home visit along with background/vet check. It does help that we do help out our local rescue here in town so they helped back us.

If you are willing to give this dog a good life, for the rest of its life, the effort of the checks shouldn't be a big deal. Our rescue also requires a fenced in yard but will make exceptions if the adopters can give the dog enough attention. If you still want to look into rescues, hit me up and check out Animal Rescue Project. They are in Kalamazoo. They hold adoption events on Sat and Sundays most every week at the building behind the root bear stand on Westnedge.
This right here proved to be an issue when I was looking.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 09:33 AM   #34
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,389
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbypsi View Post
I went through same bullshit in Aug.

My 11yr old male Rottie passed away on May 10th and soon after my 6yr old female Rottie went into depression.She would hide in my room,didnt want to go outside,started crapping in house,afraid of EVERYBODY that came in the house.And she was a happy,playful and social dog before my boy passed.


I decided to adopt a rescue dog that was as close to her age as possible.Puppies are to much work and puppies always seem to find a home anyway.I figured by asking for an older dog it be much easier to get one. Everybody told me to use Petfinder.com since its a data base of many shelters and rescues and I could just "shop" from my computer.

Well I found a couple dogs I liked and filled out their very invasive and personal application form. I received an email saying I was turned down.I sent an email back asking why and was told it was because my vet only had records for my male rottie and not my younger female.I explained that she has never gone because she has never had a reason to go,it was my other rottie that had many,many visits over his long life.You could clearly see I spared no expense on him over the years.Thankfully my female has been in perfect health since day one. I also explained how my now ex-wife is a vet-tech and has done all of their shots,check ups and preventative maintenance.

I got back a nasty email calling me a "horrible pet owner" and "we will see that you never get an animal from any organization"


I ended up taking my female with me to the Monroe County Humane Society {which I donate $5 a week out of my paycheck} and the Lucas County HS and we must have met 15 different dogs but my girl didnt like any of them.

By pure luck next time I went to Petco for dog food they were having an Adoptothon and an organization called Dogworks Inc {www.dogworksohio.com} that specialized in rescuing sporting and game dogs was there with a half dozen dogs. I found a very cool golden lab/baset hound mix and they brought him rite to my house to check out my place and my other dog.Everything went great and both dogs hit it off great.I cut her a check for $125 and ended up with a perfect dog. I swear they are both in love with each other and it couldnt have ended up any better.
This mindset of animal health is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. Vet's are a god damned racket. The amount of vaccinations they want to tell me that my dog needs on a yearly basis is ridiculous.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 09:37 AM   #35
deathbypsi
Brian R.
 
deathbypsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-08-07
Location: Temperance Mi
Posts: 2,026
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to deathbypsi
Default

Bingo.

I just remember as a kid it seemed like every uncle,cousin,grandfather,neighbor,etc..had dogs that were happy and old as shit! And I know they didnt do the whole vet thing for every shot under the sun or take them in everytime they had a itch....
deathbypsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 10:34 AM   #36
Padilen
Senior Member
 
Padilen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-17-12
Location: LeRoy Michigan
Posts: 1,750
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default animal shelters

Deathbypsi,
Your females reaction to her loss of her friend was much like my dog Ginger's. She was much worse.
Glad you got a good one. I did for my Gin Gin too I even put Right in his name. Murphy Q Right. Sadly the are both gone now 1 year apart.
When I tried the rescues I had the same problems. I bought my Eli. I think a lot of good dogs are missing out on good people.

Last edited by Padilen; December 23rd, 2013 at 10:37 AM.
Padilen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 10:47 AM   #37
jeepfreak81
81 inches of fun
 
jeepfreak81's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: Lennon, Mi
Posts: 12,271
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jeepfreak81 Send a message via MSN to jeepfreak81 Send a message via Yahoo to jeepfreak81
Default

I have used a private rescue in the past. That was the easiest I have ever dealt with. There were no fees and the lady even provided the first couple weeks worth of food and some toys.

I wanted to go back to her after my boxer died as my lab has been 'different' since she passed, but my wife won't even let me think about getting a second dog again.
jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 10:55 AM   #38
montecarlo33
The Violator
 
montecarlo33's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-23-07
Location: Otsego County 49735
Posts: 4,530
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreak81 View Post
I have used a private rescue in the past. That was the easiest I have ever dealt with. There were no fees and the lady even provided the first couple weeks worth of food and some toys.
Same here. My dog even got into the trash minutes before I got there, and he stunk like hot garbage. I said you bath him and I will take him. No fees or anything. He just wasn't fitting in there, she had way to many animals at the time. Best dog I've ever had.
montecarlo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 11:59 AM   #39
feva4u
LCG
 
feva4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-01-07
Location: Petoskey, MI
Posts: 10,461
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

WTF CTM&MB, your dogs are pampered to the extreme............as are mine
__________________
My Jeep
feva4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 12:01 PM   #40
montecarlo33
The Violator
 
montecarlo33's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-23-07
Location: Otsego County 49735
Posts: 4,530
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by feva4u View Post
WTF man, your dogs are pampered to the extreme............as are mine
as are most dogs. I'm jealous as hell of the life my dog and cat have. lazy bastards.
montecarlo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.33575 seconds with 80 queries