Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

4L60E issues

1K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  big86inthestixx 
#1 ·
I've rebuilt a # of 4L60E's, th350's, th400's, AOD, E4OD's, C6's, C4's...and never had this problem.
I'm looking for help (assuming/hoping Tranny Tom will pipe in here)

I have a (94)4L60E in the garage, that is having some small issues..
it has issues picking a gear from a rolling stop.
Also hunts for D or OD when at 60mph (figured it because of the lack of power the engine has now with all the miles)
It stalls the engine when in MANUAL 2nd, acts absolutely fine when shifting in normal operation.
Shifts from P or N are kind of harsh, not too bad. Up shifts in normal mode seem to be fine as well.
No metal in the pan, no weird noises, not a lot of friction material in the pan either.

Replaced ALL electronics, when I pulled pan last time. Again the pan was one of the cleanest I have ever removed.

Thought of dbl checking TPS since that's where the trans gets most of its information from.

Any body have any ideas, thoughts, had this issue before?
Thanks in advance for the thoughts, and help!

Trans history:
has been in a DD for a few years since rebuild, guy drives like a grandpa, the engine has 380000 miles on it. (he won't give the truck up, wants to spend whatever is necessary to keep rolling). Been a driveway plow truck for most of the life. (he only plows his driveway with it.)

See less See more
#2 ·
Can you scan it for codes?

Possibilities for harsh engagements are:

#1 cause is high idle
worn spacer plate where the check balls go
broken accumulator spring
stuck pressure regulator
worn valve body

The hunting between D and OD is most likely a pressure leak. It could be in the VB, TCC circuit, Servo, Teflon rings, worn bushings, cracked piston, worn/ripped piston lip seal ect.

Before pulling the trans, try swapping valve bodies with a lower mileage one. If the trans has 380K on it, that might be the issue (worn valve bores)

#5 ·
Scanned. .no codes. (Scanner aint the bomb..but it works)
Couldn't get it to hunt for OD or D tonight, worked good.
Idle is barely 600rpms.
Noticed tonight that 2nd gear is always locked up. On up shift while in d or od, when it hits 2nd it falls right on its face. Goes thru 2nd then its fine.
Im going to try unplugging electronic stuff in a minute to see if its that.
(I just replaced the harness and all solenoids, pressure plate, TCC)
Hoping its not electronic. .:banghead:
Will update again tonight.

sended frum dis stoopid fone

#6 ·
Well, with electronic stuff unplugged.
It doesn't stall in second gear.
took it for a short spin.
Its only working in 2nd and 3rd without the harness plugged in.
No manual 1st, it starts in 2nd, manually shift to 3rd. It goes to third, up shift to OD..it just stays in 3rd.
:)

Hmmmm, computer possibly the issue, since the 2nd gear stall goes away when electronic craps unplugged?
Especially since I out all nee electronic stuff in it 1 week ago?

#7 ·
Does your scanner show data? If so look at the vss output. If there is a short in the speed sensor or if the truck has a drac (I think that is what it is called) the truck might think it is going faster than it actually is. Second and forth apply the same shift solenoid. So if the computer thinks it is in 4th and going 85 naturally it will lock the converter. Or it could possibly be the computer.

#8 ·
Grabbing a snap on scanner tomorrow. ..not sure if itll b able to pickup vss output, but we will see!
Mine wont pickup on vss output. :(
Im fairly suspect its the computer, or broke, chafed wire.
But more suspect of computer.

Ill update after I get the scan tool tomorrow.

#9 ·
Just for crapps n grins I put a new VSS in it..since i had one on the shelf.
Still same issue. .:(

Also another note: the ABS light in this bad boy came on at the same time this issue appeared. (What the customer says anyway)
Coincidence? Maybe. ..both use the VSS for input.
Maybe they use the same ground for control?
Yaay. .chasing wire n computer issues rock.

Tranny Tom.
I owe u :beer: whenever we cross paths!

#11 ·
Got codes scanned tonight.
Current codes are
73: force motor current
67: torque converter quad driver 2 solenoid

Code history
82: shift solenoid A circuit
66: 3-2 down shift quad driver 2 solenoid
67: see above
69: torque converter clutch stuck on
73: see above

When manually put into 2nd gear the scan tools live data doesn't show that the converter is locked up. Hmmm...

Can this do anything to help narrow it Down tranny Tom?

#12 ·
Well used scan tool to test all codes.
Turns out the tcc control wire (ground control) was grounded to the engine block.
:banghead:
So the tcc was locked all the time.
1 wire fixed all the codes/issues..
Awesome.
Thanks again tom for the assistance.
:beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.