Fuel pressure tester for a cummins? - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old January 17th, 2014, 01:23 PM   #1
95beast
Im Farva Bitches
 
95beast's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-05-07
Location: FENTON, MI
Posts: 921
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default Fuel pressure tester for a cummins?

Anyone have one I could borrow. Around the Fenton area. I need to test the injection pump on my first gen. And they say the pressure can be between 5000-17000psi so a normal tester won't work. I need to get my truck running again And I'd rather not have to buy another injection pump if this one is still good. let me know thanks Farva out.
95beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old January 17th, 2014, 05:46 PM   #2
fordbronco
My name is Buck Naked
 
fordbronco's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-22-11
Location: Marlette/Flint
Posts: 5,621
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

I wish I could help, hope you get your cummings straightened out.
fordbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 05:54 PM   #3
Lousypirate
Yer a trucker, right?
 
Lousypirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-11-08
Location: Marne 49435
Posts: 11,614
iTrader: (33)
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Default

... what do you think is wrong with it?
__________________
2003 gmc 1500hd quadrasteer "Miley"
2000 jeep cherokee "Herman"
194X CJ2a "To be named"
1977 Ranger 150a bass boat
1987 Yamaha Moto 4 quad
Lousypirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 07:01 PM   #4
95beast
Im Farva Bitches
 
95beast's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-05-07
Location: FENTON, MI
Posts: 921
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Well It was acting up a month or so ago And stalling on me every once in a while. Before it was warm. Well after that ice storm we got it. It hasnt ran since. It wasn't getting a whole lot of fuel to the injectors when I opened them. I was Hoping it was just air in the lines. But then I found out the lift pump took a crap so I replaced that and primed the lift pump. Now I'm getting good fuel to the injectors again but it still won't start. I've checked the fuel shut off solenoid and the plunger is fine and it's getting 12v to it. A buddy told me to take the plunger out and don't hook power back to the solenoid and if it starts then it's then solenoid but it still wouldn't start. So I'm thinkin the injection pump took a crap as well. but I want to test it before getting another one. Since there not cheap and I don't really know anyone around me that has a first gen that might have an idea. What could be wrong with it if the pump is good. It does want to start for a split second with ether but then it just cranks. So I'm stumped.
95beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 07:32 PM   #5
Lousypirate
Yer a trucker, right?
 
Lousypirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-11-08
Location: Marne 49435
Posts: 11,614
iTrader: (33)
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Default

Turn up your smoke screw and see if that helps? Have it on a block heater?
__________________
2003 gmc 1500hd quadrasteer "Miley"
2000 jeep cherokee "Herman"
194X CJ2a "To be named"
1977 Ranger 150a bass boat
1987 Yamaha Moto 4 quad
Lousypirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 07:55 PM   #6
JeepInABox
Jeep yard art collector.
 
JeepInABox's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-25-07
Location: Fenton
Posts: 2,319
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

heater
JeepInABox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 11:56 PM   #7
95beast
Im Farva Bitches
 
95beast's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-05-07
Location: FENTON, MI
Posts: 921
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

It's plugged in And the block heater works good. Also on my last tank of fuel I put diesel 911 in the tank so the fuels not gelled
95beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 08:40 PM   #8
95beast
Im Farva Bitches
 
95beast's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-05-07
Location: FENTON, MI
Posts: 921
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Anyone?
95beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 09:21 PM   #9
89Laredo
Senior Member
 
89Laredo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-09-09
Location: Iowa
Posts: 2,976
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to 89Laredo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95beast View Post
It's plugged in And the block heater works good. Also on my last tank of fuel I put diesel 911 in the tank so the fuels not gelled
911 will reliquify fuel, but it is not antigel.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
All I want to do is smoke meth, fuck my sister, and hang myself with a belt.
89Laredo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 10:47 PM   #10
95beast
Im Farva Bitches
 
95beast's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-05-07
Location: FENTON, MI
Posts: 921
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Yea I know but I even tried gettin it to start when we had them couple warm days. Still no luck
95beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2014, 07:23 AM   #11
Lousypirate
Yer a trucker, right?
 
Lousypirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-11-08
Location: Marne 49435
Posts: 11,614
iTrader: (33)
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Default

does it try to start, or just turn over? Turn over slowly?

I had some cold start problems in my p7100 because the RPM's were a little low (and I still need new injectors)
__________________
2003 gmc 1500hd quadrasteer "Miley"
2000 jeep cherokee "Herman"
194X CJ2a "To be named"
1977 Ranger 150a bass boat
1987 Yamaha Moto 4 quad
Lousypirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2014, 07:42 AM   #12
High Center Hancho
rack tap re-rack click
 
High Center Hancho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: Genesee County
Posts: 13,230
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Starting fulid?
High Center Hancho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2014, 09:40 AM   #13
89Laredo
Senior Member
 
89Laredo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-09-09
Location: Iowa
Posts: 2,976
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to 89Laredo
Default

BTW
Auto store ether sucks, it's only like 20% ether. My old motor wouldn't even try to start unless it was over 50%. If you have a JD dealer around go there and get a can of "80% premium ether".
Make sure any glowplugs/grid heaters are unplugged.


P pump?
Cracked all of the injector lines to get any air out?

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
All I want to do is smoke meth, fuck my sister, and hang myself with a belt.

Last edited by 89Laredo; January 20th, 2014 at 09:50 AM.
89Laredo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2014, 12:13 PM   #14
Trendsetter
Senior Member
 
Trendsetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Annapolis, MD and Holland MI
Posts: 1,973
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Trendsetter Send a message via Yahoo to Trendsetter
Default

Keep hitting it with ether and post the after pictures. I have had more then one tech blow shit up from using that shit
Trendsetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2014, 01:03 PM   #15
Skooter_Built
Fuck talk, Duck walk!
 
Skooter_Built's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Whitelake, MI
Posts: 14,543
iTrader: (26)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Default

Sparkplugs, there be the problems
__________________
I'm the man in White.

If you want peace, prepare for war!

Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting.
Skooter_Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2014, 01:16 PM   #16
89Laredo
Senior Member
 
89Laredo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-09-09
Location: Iowa
Posts: 2,976
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to 89Laredo
Default

Nothing wrong with using ether properly.
With the JD stuff my old motor would get .5-1sec shot on the air filter,a 5-10 sec wait, and then crank. Would usually start first try in single digit temp.

I think op needs to crack all injection lines and get any air out. If it still doesn't start I would try to get it into a warm shop and try again.
If that didn't work, pull pump and injectors and have them tested.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
All I want to do is smoke meth, fuck my sister, and hang myself with a belt.
89Laredo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2014, 01:16 PM   #17
skife
Senior Member
 
skife's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-12-07
Location: cedar springs mi
Posts: 5,119
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to skife Send a message via MSN to skife
Default

sounds like an ignition problem ;)
skife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2014, 06:59 PM   #18
bighroder
Senior Member
 
bighroder's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-27-10
Location: mid michigan
Posts: 155
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95beast View Post
Well It was acting up a month or so ago And stalling on me every once in a while. Before it was warm. Well after that ice storm we got it. It hasnt ran since. It wasn't getting a whole lot of fuel to the injectors when I opened them. I was Hoping it was just air in the lines. But then I found out the lift pump took a crap so I replaced that and primed the lift pump. Now I'm getting good fuel to the injectors again but it still won't start. I've checked the fuel shut off solenoid and the plunger is fine and it's getting 12v to it. A buddy told me to take the plunger out and don't hook power back to the solenoid and if it starts then it's then solenoid but it still wouldn't start. So I'm thinkin the injection pump took a crap as well. but I want to test it before getting another one. Since there not cheap and I don't really know anyone around me that has a first gen that might have an idea. What could be wrong with it if the pump is good. It does want to start for a split second with ether but then it just cranks. So I'm stumped.
You say you took the fuel shutoff solenoid out to pull the plunger? How many times have you pulled a ve pump apart? Cause there is a couple of things that can go wrong seems you have to pull the pump top to get to the FSS. 1 gov spring fell off stuck in no fuel 2 clocking is off on throttle shaft. If neither of these are the case proceed on


Alright change your fuel filter, don't ever use 911 on a ve pump period. That shit is way harsh. Brake 1&2 line loose role it over shut the line while fuel is coming out (need 2 ppl)
Same on three and 4
5&6 by now it should have started on 4 cyls atleast . Give her a huff of the happy juice
If nothin still im thinking it's something to do with the first half of my reply. I'm a diesel mechanic so I've seen quite a few things go the wrong way.

You say another pump like youve done it before how many miles are on it and how long ago for the pump? My ve pump non ic motor is still running on stock pump at 220k
Shoot me a pm if you need any other help
bighroder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014, 03:26 AM   #19
95beast
Im Farva Bitches
 
95beast's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-05-07
Location: FENTON, MI
Posts: 921
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

I've used a lil starting fluid and it runs for a split second that's it. I have a ve pump not a p pump which I wish I had. Maybe down the road..
95beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014, 03:43 AM   #20
95beast
Im Farva Bitches
 
95beast's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-05-07
Location: FENTON, MI
Posts: 921
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

I've never taken the top off the pump never messed with anything inside the ve pump. The fss is on the back part of my ve pump which is easy to get to after I remove the throttle brackets. It just screws in with one wire on the top of it..

The fuel filter is only a month old so I wouldn't think that would be the prob. But with my luck it could be part of it.

I'll try the fuel line idea tomorrow. There's about 200k on the motor. But the lift pump is new.

I talked to one of my other diesel buddy's and he said that it sounds like the injection pump to him. Shity part is he lives in NM so he can't really swing by to help me fig it out. Although I talked to him again tonight and hes shipping me his diesel fuel pressure tester. So I should be able to test the injection pump by the weekend I hope. And if it's the prob. He's gonna send me another injection pump. But until then I'm gonna try though's few ideas and see what happens.
Thanks for the reply ill def pm you if I need anymore help. I'll post up my progress later today.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bighroder View Post
You say you took the fuel shutoff solenoid out to pull the plunger? How many times have you pulled a ve pump apart? Cause there is a couple of things that can go wrong seems you have to pull the pump top to get to the FSS. 1 gov spring fell off stuck in no fuel 2 clocking is off on throttle shaft. If neither of these are the case proceed on


Alright change your fuel filter, don't ever use 911 on a ve pump period. That shit is way harsh. Brake 1&2 line loose role it over shut the line while fuel is coming out (need 2 ppl)
Same on three and 4
5&6 by now it should have started on 4 cyls atleast . Give her a huff of the happy juice
If nothin still im thinking it's something to do with the first half of my reply. I'm a diesel mechanic so I've seen quite a few things go the wrong way.

You say another pump like youve done it before how many miles are on it and how long ago for the pump? My ve pump non ic motor is still running on stock pump at 220k
Shoot me a pm if you need any other help
95beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.37374 seconds with 82 queries