what led lighting are you using? - Page 5 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > General Tech
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old January 31st, 2014, 11:14 AM   #81
feva4u
LCG
 
feva4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-01-07
Location: Petoskey, MI
Posts: 10,494
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdboy View Post
I got a deal on mine and after destroying some cheaper lights I was ready to spend a little more for something that would stand up.
I hear ya, but I'd put AGT's made in germany quality vs rigid anyday after seeing both first hand. China, not so much.
__________________
My Jeep
feva4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old February 1st, 2014, 05:43 PM   #82
chasetheface123
Senior Member
 
chasetheface123's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-13-09
Location: Boyne City
Posts: 1,017
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I'm running an Eautogrilles from ebay bar on my f250. I've got the 20" and have zero complaints about it at all. I would run it again before spending big bucks on the same thing form a different company. I think mine was 120 shipped..
chasetheface123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 06:17 PM   #83
jhnyquest
goof ball
 
jhnyquest's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-26-08
Location: West Olive
Posts: 26,380
iTrader: (18)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Default

I really like my rigid industries led lights. I don't find them all that expensive at all.
__________________
...
jhnyquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 08:20 AM   #84
ATVLIFESTYLE
Senior Member
 
ATVLIFESTYLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-21-12
Location: Stevensville , MI
Posts: 194
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
How are these LED lights for "longish" range driving lights? My stock headlights suck when you're in 2 lane mountain roads and rain.

Do LED's help cut through the fog? (not omg you can't see 3 feet fog, light fog?)
Fog or when snow is coming down LED's will make it worse unless you run Amber Leds or amber covers.
ATVLIFESTYLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 08:38 AM   #85
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,786
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVLIFESTYLE View Post
Fog or when snow is coming down LED's will make it worse unless you run Amber Leds or amber covers.
Not worried about snow, looking for something that can provide good light at night, and when raining, fog is a bonus, but no matter the lights thick fog is going to slow you down.
kickstand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 11:54 AM   #86
Coyote Red
Senior Member
 
Coyote Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-24-11
Location: Chelsea, MI
Posts: 1,044
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
Not worried about snow, looking for something that can provide good light at night, and when raining, fog is a bonus, but no matter the lights thick fog is going to slow you down.
You are looking for amber lights then. The color doesn't reflect of from the fog or rain like white light does.


I am curious as to how a white LED with an amber cover preforms verses an amber LED. From my understanding (which may be wrong) the LED color has to match the cover color otherwise it bleaches out i.e red brake light covers look pink with a white LED.
Coyote Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 08:05 PM   #87
ATVLIFESTYLE
Senior Member
 
ATVLIFESTYLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-21-12
Location: Stevensville , MI
Posts: 194
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
Not worried about snow, looking for something that can provide good light at night, and when raining, fog is a bonus, but no matter the lights thick fog is going to slow you down.
Get a standard white LED then you can always run an amber cover when wanted and you get the best of both worlds. Alot of guys run amber covers (film or plastic) over there lights in the desert and say it improves vision in high dust. Figure dust would be similar to fog.
ATVLIFESTYLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2014, 07:30 AM   #88
fsumotorhead
N8KVB
 
fsumotorhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-24-06
Location: Flat Rock, MI
Posts: 4,202
iTrader: (34)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote Red View Post
You are looking for amber lights then. The color doesn't reflect of from the fog or rain like white light does.


I am curious as to how a white LED with an amber cover preforms verses an amber LED. From my understanding (which may be wrong) the LED color has to match the cover color otherwise it bleaches out i.e red brake light covers look pink with a white LED.
Permanent colored covers over "white" LED lights are dumb, but temporary covers are fine.

The thing about LEDs is there light output is a different wavelength then a filament bulb, so they look "pink" when put behind a red cover (taillight), only compared to an incandescent bulb.

The colored covers also filter out the wavelengths of light not desired, therefore making the light output lower and dimmer.

Since LEDs can be produced in almost any wavelength of light output, getting one to match the cover will result in no light output being lost, so for a taillight that will always be red, it's best to have red LEDs.

In a light-bar that would need white 90% of the time and amber 10%, a simple amber cover over white LEDs would probably be better than two dedicated colored light bars.
fsumotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2014, 10:45 AM   #89
99tj4banger
Senior Member
 
99tj4banger's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-02-10
Location: brownstown, MI
Posts: 407
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

http://olympusoffroad.3dcartstores.c...ir-_p_138.html

I just ordered these last week. They are currently doing KOH right now and will not be shipping till the 10th but they are offering a discount because of that. I have read nothing but good reviews on them and they are well priced IMO.
99tj4banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2014, 11:01 AM   #90
Coyote Red
Senior Member
 
Coyote Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-24-11
Location: Chelsea, MI
Posts: 1,044
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsumotorhead View Post
Permanent colored covers over "white" LED lights are dumb, but temporary covers are fine.

The thing about LEDs is there light output is a different wavelength then a filament bulb, so they look "pink" when put behind a red cover (taillight), only compared to an incandescent bulb.

The colored covers also filter out the wavelengths of light not desired, therefore making the light output lower and dimmer.

Since LEDs can be produced in almost any wavelength of light output, getting one to match the cover will result in no light output being lost, so for a taillight that will always be red, it's best to have red LEDs.

In a light-bar that would need white 90% of the time and amber 10%, a simple amber cover over white LEDs would probably be better than two dedicated colored light bars.
Perfect, that was what I was looking for.
Coyote Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 07:15 AM   #91
fsumotorhead
N8KVB
 
fsumotorhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-24-06
Location: Flat Rock, MI
Posts: 4,202
iTrader: (34)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

So I'm contemplating buying a light bar for my fusion, lol. These potholes are killing me, i've lost two tires to them alread this winter.

Contemplating putting it below the lower bumper grille, it's nice and open.

Anyone have any luck with the eBay light bars? For $100, there tons of options, and it seems like I can't go wrong.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310715508758...9#ht_212wt_684

fsumotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 12:10 PM   #92
ATVLIFESTYLE
Senior Member
 
ATVLIFESTYLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-21-12
Location: Stevensville , MI
Posts: 194
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

I have that lightbar and have had it for a few years. No problems with it, but they will not be brighter than your high beams especially mounted that low.

I have a bunch of different LED bars I have picked up to compare and that one is brighter than an all flood but not as much distance as a spot pattern.
ATVLIFESTYLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 09:11 PM   #93
chasetheface123
Senior Member
 
chasetheface123's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-13-09
Location: Boyne City
Posts: 1,017
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

http://myworld.ebay.com/e-autogrilles/

This is the place I ordered mine from. Zero complaints whatsoever.

I refuse to order anything through Olympus ever again. I ordered a set of rock lights from them, the lights all went faulty within a month, and they have responded to zero emails or phone calls regarding them. Never again will I do business with them, plus the bar I ordered through ebay is almost identical to the ones they sell, but much cheaper.
chasetheface123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 11:50 PM   #94
1TFROT
Senior Member
 
1TFROT's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-04-09
Location: chi-town
Posts: 1,479
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

I'll have to find out what brand mine are. had my friend order them and install them once they showed up.

very happy with them so far. one for each headlight, 2 longer ones for upper light bar and 2 small ones for the rear (used for backup or just lighting the area if needed)







they seem to put out a ton of light.
1TFROT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014, 03:37 AM   #95
curbdog17
Mini Van
 
curbdog17's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-10-08
Location: 49415
Posts: 32,518
iTrader: (23)
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Default

Harbor Freight has some very nice LED lights you can get them for free to $0.99 depending on what coupon you have that week.
__________________
17
curbdog17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 12:06 AM   #96
99tj4banger
Senior Member
 
99tj4banger's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-02-10
Location: brownstown, MI
Posts: 407
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasetheface123 View Post
http://myworld.ebay.com/e-autogrilles/

This is the place I ordered mine from. Zero complaints whatsoever.

I refuse to order anything through Olympus ever again. I ordered a set of rock lights from them, the lights all went faulty within a month, and they have responded to zero emails or phone calls regarding them. Never again will I do business with them, plus the bar I ordered through ebay is almost identical to the ones they sell, but much cheaper.
I received the lights last week and just installed them today. I am very pleased with them so far. They seem very well built, the wiring harness was very nice as well though I had to add some length to it between the two lights.

I have not messed with the rock lights yet, which I received for free with my order. I guess only time will tell the quality but so far they seem very good quality.

one of the pics shows the two led's vs. two KC daylighter 100w pencil beams mounted on my bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	114420   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	114421   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	114422   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	114423   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 6.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	114424  

99tj4banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 07:02 AM   #97
fsumotorhead
N8KVB
 
fsumotorhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-24-06
Location: Flat Rock, MI
Posts: 4,202
iTrader: (34)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVLIFESTYLE View Post
I have that lightbar and have had it for a few years. No problems with it, but they will not be brighter than your high beams especially mounted that low.

I have a bunch of different LED bars I have picked up to compare and that one is brighter than an all flood but not as much distance as a spot pattern.

I think I'm looking for an all flood, or trapezoidal pattern.

As I primarily drive in an urban environment, I rarely use high beams; I want something I can use on the street without being a dick to every other driver on the road.

fsumotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 07:51 PM   #98
ATVLIFESTYLE
Senior Member
 
ATVLIFESTYLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-21-12
Location: Stevensville , MI
Posts: 194
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsumotorhead View Post
I think I'm looking for an all flood, or trapezoidal pattern.

As I primarily drive in an urban environment, I rarely use high beams; I want something I can use on the street without being a dick to every other driver on the road.

That lightbar will be alittle bright for oncoming traffic. Only output pic I have of that brand bar is the equivalent of 2 of them.



ATVLIFESTYLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 08:43 PM   #99
charmander
Senior Member
 
charmander's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-11-12
Location: Rockford, Mi
Posts: 103
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

http://youtu.be/wuIU-Mg0EMM

Rigid lights are well worth it!
charmander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 10:05 PM   #100
fsumotorhead
N8KVB
 
fsumotorhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-24-06
Location: Flat Rock, MI
Posts: 4,202
iTrader: (34)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Well I totally forgot I had a few cocktails on Sat night and bought one of these...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181325218590...84.m1439.l2649

I figured for $83, I can't go wrong. I'll post some pics if once I throw it on the fusion.
fsumotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > General Tech

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.67656 seconds with 81 queries