Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

remodeling/home construction

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  skier206 
#1 ·
This is all new to me, but i wanna tear down my garage and build another one along with redoing my kitchen. Does anyone know some good builders around the Novi/walled lake area? Has anyone done this to there own place? Is it a pain to draw up plans from scratch? Whats a good place to start?

Looking for pro's and con's from people who went through this in the past.. Thanks

#4 ·
I did my own 15 years ago - my town (Ferndale) had a "what you need to give us to support your application for a building permit" kit that was helpful. Mine was also non-conforming, so I had to apply for a variance from the building codes. I felt like a fish out of water when we started, but everyone from the building office to the inspectors to the city planning commission were all helpful and very understanding. I also had the advantage of some basic drafting in HS, a couple of years in commercial property management and a handful of prior (unpermitted) projects, so it wasn't all brand new to me.

Good luck, and make sure after you figure out your budget you add 38% for all of the stuff you didn't plan for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.