Salmon Fishing ....Need some advice - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > Other Stuff > The Great Outdoors
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Great Outdoors Guns, Cannons, Fishing, Camping, and other fun stuff

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old September 14th, 2013, 08:20 AM   #1
Denton
Brush Yo Teeth!
 
Denton's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-09-07
Location: Westphalia
Posts: 1,735
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default Salmon Fishing ....Need some advice

A group of us guys decided to do our first salmon fishing trip this September 27th thru the 29th. We are thinking about fishing the White River, or even the Manistee, but are open to suggestions. What we would really like, is to camp close to the river so we can just walk down and fish without having to drive. I heard the Tippy Dam is good, but crazy busy. My question to the gl4x4 community is this: Could you recommend any campgrounds that are on a river that would have a good Salmon run? Not looking for your secret honey holes ( unless you want to PM me them )
Thanks!
Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old September 14th, 2013, 09:17 AM   #2
Flexin' XJ
Senior Member
 
Flexin' XJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-04-07
Location: Holt, MI
Posts: 4,459
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton View Post
A group of us guys decided to do our first salmon fishing trip this September 27th thru the 29th. We are thinking about fishing the White River, or even the Manistee, but are open to suggestions. What we would really like, is to camp close to the river so we can just walk down and fish without having to drive. I heard the Tippy Dam is good, but crazy busy. My question to the gl4x4 community is this: Could you recommend any campgrounds that are on a river that would have a good Salmon run? Not looking for your secret honey holes ( unless you want to PM me them )
Thanks!
Sounds fun. I've been wanting to do a salmon charter for a while. I love salmon.
Flexin' XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 04:43 PM   #3
MARTIN HASSENGER
BRONCATRON
 
MARTIN HASSENGER's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-19-09
Location: three rivers mi
Posts: 345
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Tippy dam is very nice and can be busy but there is plenty of river to share. We will actually be up there the 4-6. The camp ground is a good setup and I have always been able to get a site when I show up but that may just be luck.
MARTIN HASSENGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 11:43 PM   #4
tom77cj5
Senior Member
 
tom77cj5's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-06-06
Location: chesterfield
Posts: 3,998
iTrader: (41)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to tom77cj5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTIN HASSENGER View Post
Tippy dam is very nice and can be busy but there is plenty of river to share. We will actually be up there the 4-6. The camp ground is a good setup and I have always been able to get a site when I show up but that may just be luck.
Tippy is nuts. Way too many ppl. Trash everywhere. We got up to the north west today at 5 went 2-9 and I shattered my 3week old okumah rod fighting a hog
tom77cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 09:30 PM   #5
dj13104
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 04-11-10
Location: newaygo, mi
Posts: 226
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

White river i full of salmon. Pines point is a rustic campground dont no when they close. Its a nice spot on the river. Muskegon river has them coming up throw good to.
dj13104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 09:34 PM   #6
Lousypirate
Yer a trucker, right?
 
Lousypirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-11-08
Location: Marne 49435
Posts: 11,988
iTrader: (33)
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj13104 View Post
White river i full of salmon. Pines point is a rustic campground dont no when they close. Its a nice spot on the river. Muskegon river has them coming up throw good to.
Yup, guy I talk to every day said they were all stacked on the delta ready to shoot upstream. (Muskegon River)

My old boss usually floated down from Tippy hitting holes with HotNTot's on the PM.

I don't salmon fish... well, I only do on the big lake when my buddy remembers to invite me
__________________
2003 gmc 1500hd quadrasteer "Miley"
2000 jeep cherokee "Herman"
1946 CJ2a "The Kernel"
1977 Ranger 150a bass boat
1987 Yamaha Moto 4 quad
Lousypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 10:34 PM   #7
deerebowtie
Unchained
 
deerebowtie's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-04-09
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 1,767
iTrader: (24)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

garden river just outside the soo is fantastic for pinks
deerebowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 03:45 AM   #8
Denton
Brush Yo Teeth!
 
Denton's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-09-07
Location: Westphalia
Posts: 1,735
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj13104 View Post
White river i full of salmon. Pines point is a rustic campground dont no when they close. Its a nice spot on the river. Muskegon river has them coming up throw good to.
This is where we decided to go. (Pines Point) Will report back next week

Thanks everybody!
Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 11:16 PM   #9
tom77cj5
Senior Member
 
tom77cj5's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-06-06
Location: chesterfield
Posts: 3,998
iTrader: (41)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to tom77cj5
Default

Just got home. Fished friday 4-10 sat 8-8 today 12-4 got 21
tom77cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 02:34 PM   #10
Denton
Brush Yo Teeth!
 
Denton's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-09-07
Location: Westphalia
Posts: 1,735
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77cj5 View Post
Just got home. Fished friday 4-10 sat 8-8 today 12-4 got 21
Nice!
Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > Other Stuff > The Great Outdoors

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.17754 seconds with 50 queries