musty smell near fireplace...any experience? - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old September 9th, 2013, 12:06 PM   #1
Just a Spouse
Motrcytman's spouse
 
Just a Spouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Lake View, AL
Posts: 7,164
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default musty smell near fireplace...any experience?

Our tenant in Michigan said that behind a wooden plank panel in the brick fireplace, it smelled really musty. So he tore the panel off (not good) and said the fiberglass insulation smelled really bad.

I asked him to leave it as is, and I will come up there and see what is going on. According to the lease, he is not to do any repairs on his own, and I will address him ripping things apart in the house when I get there. He should not have done that...but aside from that...

We have a brick fireplace, with a woodstove insert. Next to the woodstove, is a wooden panel that is just a decoration...it isn't supposed to be removed...(again, I will address this with the tenant when I get there)

Anyone have this happen? Musty smelling fiberglass? I'm thinking when I get there, I'll remove the fiberglass that I can and stuff new fiberglass in the opening and try to put the decorative panel back.

Click here for picture. Hope it works
Just a Spouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old September 9th, 2013, 12:10 PM   #2
stinkpickle
bitter clinger
 
stinkpickle's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-21-07
Location: Millbury, OH
Posts: 1,209
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

My experience has been, if it smells musty, there is or has been a leak and some mold growth. The pros say if you smell mold, you got mold.
stinkpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 12:21 PM   #3
jeepfreak81
81 inches of fun
 
jeepfreak81's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: Lennon, Mi
Posts: 12,337
iTrader: (23)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jeepfreak81 Send a message via MSN to jeepfreak81 Send a message via Yahoo to jeepfreak81
Default

Chimney probably leaking where the roof meets it or something.
jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #4
stinkpickle
bitter clinger
 
stinkpickle's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-21-07
Location: Millbury, OH
Posts: 1,209
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreak81 View Post
Chimney probably leaking where the roof meets it or something.
That would be my guess. Very common. If the flashing is still good, you could re-seal with some tar.
stinkpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #5
Just a Spouse
Motrcytman's spouse
 
Just a Spouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Lake View, AL
Posts: 7,164
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

We just had the chimney swept and inspected. We also had a roofer come out and inspect the shingles and repair a satellite dish removal. No mention of any problems around the chimney from either contractor.
Just a Spouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #6
Immortal
NO RELIGION WAT!
 
Immortal's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: In my garage
Posts: 26,214
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Default

Tenant can't follow a lease agreement. Take several tenant adjusters with you.
Immortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 10:28 PM   #7
jeepfreak81
81 inches of fun
 
jeepfreak81's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: Lennon, Mi
Posts: 12,337
iTrader: (23)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jeepfreak81 Send a message via MSN to jeepfreak81 Send a message via Yahoo to jeepfreak81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Spouse View Post
We just had the chimney swept and inspected. We also had a roofer come out and inspect the shingles and repair a satellite dish removal. No mention of any problems around the chimney from either contractor.
Doesn't mean either knows how to do their job...

That or the fact water can get in the tiniest spot. It may leak but the spot may not be obvious. We had over 5" of rain in just a few hours 2 weeks ago, if anything was going to find a weak spot a storm like that would.
jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 10:41 PM   #8
muddinman56
blood,sweat and beers
 
muddinman56's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-06-08
Location: armada michigan
Posts: 3,691
iTrader: (18)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Spouse View Post
We just had the chimney swept and inspected. We also had a roofer come out and inspect the shingles and repair a satellite dish removal. No mention of any problems around the chimney from either contractor.
Did you have it inspected for cracks? Or leaks? Contractors only look for what they are paid to look for. Or just didn't see it

Either way its been said you had water get it at some point and now there must be mold (at least my guess as well as some others)
muddinman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 10:48 PM   #9
BlooMule
Jet powered
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 26,042
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

I lost 3 square feet of kitchen ceiling due to a roof leak 5 feet away in the living room. A roofing nail had backed out a little and rainwater was getting in there, travelling along a joist, and dripping on the blown in insulation eventually soaking it and softening the ceiling. First indication I got was paint peeling. No odor since the attic vent was nearby.


Water can and will travel some distance before pooling and causing damage.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 10:49 AM   #10
stinkpickle
bitter clinger
 
stinkpickle's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-21-07
Location: Millbury, OH
Posts: 1,209
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooMule View Post
I lost 3 square feet of kitchen ceiling due to a roof leak 5 feet away in the living room. A roofing nail had backed out a little and rainwater was getting in there, travelling along a joist, and dripping on the blown in insulation eventually soaking it and softening the ceiling. First indication I got was paint peeling. No odor since the attic vent was nearby.


Water can and will travel some distance before pooling and causing damage.
My thoughts exactly. Water leaks can be very elusive.
stinkpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.17793 seconds with 52 queries