CO's in yankee springs - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > General Tech
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old August 22nd, 2013, 04:07 PM   #1
5.56_hickey
Newbie
 
Join Date: 08-22-13
Location: otsego, mi
Posts: 4
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default CO's in yankee springs

hey guys new to the site but not to wheeling. yankee springs was my stomping grounds growing up, and i have been out there over 100 times, doing everything to wheeling, hunting camping mountain bike ect. and never ran into a CO. well last weekend a buddy and i went out wheeling, both obeying the rules and well aware of them, well my buddy was leading and wanted to up this trail he saw on the side, keep in mind there was no sign or barricade to stop us, and it had been traveled so much it looked like another vain of the trail. so its been awhile since ive been out there but the make new trails all the time, so it looked challenging and he said going for it, made it to the top and 20 seconds later i look up at the hill and see a CO standing there waving me up to come up and have a chat, so i did, and long story short he said with no hesitation or warning im writing both of you guys 2 tickets today for.... no up to date orv sticker and for erosion of state land. ????? okay???, i did not fight with him but was honest and said well it was not barricaded or signed, and u waved me up the hill, and as far as i know if it a standard park 2 track no orv is required,,,,well he disagreed and wrote the tickets, thinking of figghting them, anyone run into this problem?
5.56_hickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old August 22nd, 2013, 04:10 PM   #2
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,988
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Default

itriedtoreadyourpostbutigotahugeheadachebutyoushou ldfighttheticketandletusallknowhowitworksoutforyou wheelingshouldbeallowedeverywhereevenifthetrailsay sopenandisclosedorisclosednaddoesntsayopenandameri cafuckyeahwhereismyorv?
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 04:11 PM   #3
Lousypirate
Yer a trucker, right?
 
Lousypirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-11-08
Location: Marne 49435
Posts: 12,483
iTrader: (36)
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
itriedtoreadyourpostbutigotahugeheadachebutyoushou ldfighttheticketandletusallknowhowitworksoutforyou wheelingshouldbeallowedeverywhereevenifthetrailsay sopenandisclosedorisclosednaddoesntsayopenandameri cafuckyeahwhereismyorv?
x2.
__________________
2003 gmc 1500hd quadrasteer "Miley"
2000 jeep cherokee "Herman"
1946 CJ2a "The Kernel"
1977 Ranger 150a bass boat
1987 Yamaha Moto 4 quad
1984 Trac Escot
1989 Cub Cadet 1320
Lousypirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 04:14 PM   #4
montecarlo33
The Violator
 
montecarlo33's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-23-07
Location: Otsego County 49735
Posts: 4,629
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

my eyes hurt.
montecarlo33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 04:21 PM   #5
5.56_hickey
Newbie
 
Join Date: 08-22-13
Location: otsego, mi
Posts: 4
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

lol thanks!!
5.56_hickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 04:46 PM   #6
in2deep
Hole tester
 
Join Date: 05-06-10
Location: muskegon,mi
Posts: 1,282
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

inb4bin cool story bro
in2deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 09:38 PM   #7
chevotass
Senior Member
 
chevotass's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-02-06
Location: goodrich
Posts: 6,782
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to chevotass
Default

post pics of hill and the erosion you caused.
chevotass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 12:16 AM   #8
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,585
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Neither you nor the CO know the law as well as you think.

If the hill was "challenging" it was not legal to run unless it was somehow designated to run. And unless you were in a designated ORV area the ORV sticker on a street legal vehicle is meaningless.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 12:24 AM   #9
welderbrian
Senior Member
 
welderbrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-22-09
Location: delton/mi
Posts: 144
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

With all things considered. A . It is common knowledge state land requires an ORV sticker. B. If the co wasn't there you would have went up the trail anyway. So I say he was in the right to give you said tickets.
welderbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 06:11 AM   #10
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 22,376
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
Neither you nor the CO know the law as well as you think.

If the hill was "challenging" it was not legal to run unless it was somehow designated to run. And unless you were in a designated ORV area the ORV sticker on a street legal vehicle is meaningless.
Yup.
If you were spinning your tires you were operating in an erosive manner = ticket.
If you were NOT on a state ORV route or trail or in a scramble area = you DO NOT need an ORV sticker. This is a ticket you can fight.

You say a couple other things. If you did not go up the hill till he waved you up, then you should not have gotten a ticket because he invited you. Had you spun your tires before this? This is a point you could argue.

I am more bothered that you say your buddy is making new trails all the time. This is ILLEGAL. You can't just go cruising around making trails wherever you want. My guess is you guys probably deserved the ticket for erosion but not for no ORV sticker.
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.

Last edited by whiterhino; August 23rd, 2013 at 06:15 AM.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 08:18 AM   #11
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,585
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickiebrian View Post
A . It is common knowledge state land requires an ORV sticker.
It may be "common knowledge", but it is not true. The only places where an ORV sticker on a SOS licensed vehicle are meaningful are: Silver Lake sand dues, Mounds ORV park, St Helens motorsport area, Bull gap hill climb, and I think some of the trails on Drummond Island.

As far as I know, everywhere else in the state it's either legal with a licence plate, or it is not legal at all. The ORV sticker means nothing.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 08:40 AM   #12
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 22,376
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Default

True dat. ^^^^^^^
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 08:42 AM   #13
CheapThrillB2
FAWK YEAH!!
 
CheapThrillB2's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-06-06
Location: Middleville, MI
Posts: 31,712
iTrader: (62)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Default

If you were in fact in the Yankees Spring Recreation area then it was not the ORV sticker that was required. You are required to have a park pass sticker. This is stated at the entrance to the trail back to the Devils Soup Bowl and Graves Hill if you entered the trail from the southside off Gun Lake Rd. However it is not stated (signed) if you entered off Chief Noonday rd driving south into the Yankee Springs area.

However if your mistaken on your location, and were in fact in the Barry State Game area, not Yankee Springs area, then most of the "trails" through that area are titled as seasonal roads if I am not mistaken. Which as of late have been alot more partroled then years past because of people going off trail. With that said, if you haven't been using the roads as of late, it is hard to know which are the roads and what is not. They have been doing a considerable amount of logging in the last few years in the Barry State game area. The logging paths can be confusing if they haven't been blocked off yet.

I am curious, exaclty where you were....if you could describe the location more thorough I would like to check it out myself. And if you could scan the ticket (blocking your personal info of course) I would like to see the exact verbage he used.

Last edited by CheapThrillB2; August 23rd, 2013 at 08:51 AM.
CheapThrillB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 09:37 AM   #14
JohnnyJ
Low Range Drifter
 
JohnnyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Hartland, MI
Posts: 6,380
iTrader: (38)
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.56_hickey View Post
Hey guys new to the site but not to wheeling. Yankee springs was my stomping grounds growing up, and I have been out there over 100 times, doing everything to wheeling, hunting camping mountain bike etc. And never ran into a CO.

Well last weekend a buddy and I went out wheeling, both obeying the rules and well aware of them, well my buddy was leading and wanted to up this trail he saw on the side, keep in mind there was no sign or barricade to stop us, and it had been traveled so much it looked like another vain of the trail.

So it’s been awhile since I've been out there but the make new trails all the time, so it looked challenging and he said going for it, made it to the top and 20 seconds later i look up at the hill and see CO standing there waving me up to come up and have a chat, so i did, and long story short he said with no hesitation or warning I’m writing both of you guys 2 tickets today for.... No up to date ORV sticker and for erosion of state land.

????? Okay???, I did not fight with him but was honest and said well it was not barricaded or signed, and you waved me up the hill, and as far as i know if it a standard park 2 track no ORV is required…. well he disagreed and wrote the tickets, thinking of fighting them, anyone run into this problem?
When he was waving to you, did he want you to drive to him, or walk to him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapThrillB2 View Post
If you were in fact in the Yankees Spring Recreation area then it was not the ORV sticker that was required. You are required to have a park pass sticker. This is stated at the entrance to the trail back to the Devils Soup Bowl and Graves Hill if you entered the trail from the southside off Gun Lake Rd. However it is not stated (signed) if you entered off Chief Noonday rd driving south into the Yankee Springs area.

However if your mistaken on your location, and were in fact in the Barry State Game area, not Yankee Springs area, then most of the "trails" through that area are titled as seasonal roads if I am not mistaken. Which as of late have been a lot more patrolled then years past because of people going off trail. With that said, if you haven't been using the roads as of late, it is hard to know which are the roads and what is not. They have been doing a considerable amount of logging in the last few years in the Barry State game area. The logging paths can be confusing if they haven't been blocked off yet.

I am curious, exactly where you were....if you could describe the location more thorough I would like to check it out myself. And if you could scan the ticket (blocking your personal info of course) I would like to see the exact verbiage he used.
Funny that logging roads are illegal for others to drive on because they cause erosion. I would figure it would be the logging company that would have to clean up after themselves and block their old trails.
__________________
Neither Skinny Nor Pretty DEAK Racing 4517 Ultra 4 Mod Class Rig
Surviving Project Car Hell - We have all been there
JohnnyJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 09:45 AM   #15
CheapThrillB2
FAWK YEAH!!
 
CheapThrillB2's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-06-06
Location: Middleville, MI
Posts: 31,712
iTrader: (62)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Default

This area has been flat out destroyed by the logging compared to what it once was prior to it. I have seen no "clean up" what so ever. Family has a cabin near paradise, MI. That area has been getting logged the last few years. Big difference in clean up between the two areas.
CheapThrillB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 09:48 AM   #16
feva4u
LCG
 
feva4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-01-07
Location: Petoskey, MI
Posts: 10,498
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapThrillB2 View Post
This area has been flat out destroyed by the logging compared to what it once was prior to it. I have seen no "clean up" what so ever. Family has a cabin near paradise, MI. That area has been getting logged the last few years. Big difference in clean up between the two areas.
Truth, and the proposed fracking that is supposed to start in that area will make it much, much worse
__________________
My Jeep
feva4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 09:55 AM   #17
curt1656
Praise the lowered
 
curt1656's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-26-07
Location: WTFWJD?
Posts: 2,927
iTrader: (24)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

I always run when I see a CO.
curt1656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #18
CheapThrillB2
FAWK YEAH!!
 
CheapThrillB2's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-06-06
Location: Middleville, MI
Posts: 31,712
iTrader: (62)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapThrillB2 View Post
If you were in fact in the Yankees Spring Recreation area then it was not the ORV sticker that was required. You are required to have a park pass sticker. This is stated at the entrance to the trail back to the Devils Soup Bowl and Graves Hill if you entered the trail from the southside off Gun Lake Rd. However it is not stated (signed) if you entered off Chief Noonday rd driving south into the Yankee Springs area.

However if your mistaken on your location, and were in fact in the Barry State Game area, not Yankee Springs area, then most of the "trails" through that area are titled as seasonal roads if I am not mistaken. Which as of late have been alot more partroled then years past because of people going off trail. With that said, if you haven't been using the roads as of late, it is hard to know which are the roads and what is not. They have been doing a considerable amount of logging in the last few years in the Barry State game area. The logging paths can be confusing if they haven't been blocked off yet.

I am curious, exaclty where you were....if you could describe the location more thorough I would like to check it out myself. And if you could scan the ticket (blocking your personal info of course) I would like to see the exact verbage he used.
CheapThrillB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 04:29 PM   #19
montecarlo33
The Violator
 
montecarlo33's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-23-07
Location: Otsego County 49735
Posts: 4,629
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt1656 View Post
I always run when I see a CO.
They are getting sneaky tho, with fast toys and hiding techniques.
montecarlo33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:41 AM   #20
busyfixin
Balls Deep
 
busyfixin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-24-06
Location: williamsburg, MI
Posts: 3,320
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by feva4u View Post
the proposed fracking that is supposed to start in that area will make it much, much worse
Doubt it. An improved road to the site, and a smooth sandy/grassy pad when they're gone is hardly "much, much worse". Go find out what it's really all about, before spouting off about it.
busyfixin is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > General Tech

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.36303 seconds with 80 queries