Religious people are less intelligent than atheists, study finds - Page 2 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old August 20th, 2013, 08:56 AM   #21
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,237
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
The world pushing things on people.

Yea, religion doesn't do that at all either.

I can't speak for all agnostics/atheists, but in my case I arrived at my conclusions by my own thoughts alone.
I suppose if you could see it from Gods point then you would see that yes you are being brainwashed to what the world sees as the right way.
God wants you to turn from a worldly way of thinking and see it His way.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old August 20th, 2013, 09:34 AM   #22
GreaseMonkey
Pew pew!
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 18,034
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
I suppose if you could see it from Gods point then you would see that yes you are being brainwashed to what the world sees as the right way.
God wants you to turn from a worldly way of thinking and see it His way.
Here you go again putting words in God's mouth. Who is the one that is brainwashed here?
__________________
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 09:41 AM   #23
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,789
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
I suppose if you could see it from Gods point then you would see that yes you are being brainwashed to what the world sees as the right way.
God wants you to turn from a worldly way of thinking and see it His way.
God seems unwilling to be open minded if he thinks his way is the only way.
kickstand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 09:52 AM   #24
Nuggets
I fix stuff!
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,450
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudking View Post
I would rather believe in God and find out there is not one, than not believe in God and find out there is when I die.
This is a classic example of Pascal's Wager.
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 12:57 PM   #25
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,694
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
God seems unwilling to be open minded if he thinks his way is the only way.
You are exactly right. God is not open to falsehoods.
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 01:11 PM   #26
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,694
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojave01x2 View Post
Exactly what brainwashing does.
You missed the other part of the scripture. The cross is foolishness to those who do not belong to Christ.

Something happens when the Holy Spirit indwels you that modern intelligence can never actually provide. The article positions the atheist as the self-soother, that they do not need that crutch that the faith community needs out of their weakness.

When I became a Christian, it was not because I was strong, truthfully it was because I saw my own weakness, my own sin, my own shortcoming. There was a part of me that badly did not want to confess that. As a man there is a part of me that is very proud and still does not want to depend upon God. The truth of the matter is that as I have leaned to trust Jesus, I have gained the confidence that my weakness is to be celebrated, but only because of the great work of Christ in my life, that he has made me strong. Not because of my doing, but because of my cooperation with the Spirit of God as He works in me.

I suppose the reason I said all of that is because it is a false statement that I am unable to be strong on my own. Instead, I willingly profess weakness in order to be close to God. If I never profess weakness, I will never know God.
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 01:11 PM   #27
GreaseMonkey
Pew pew!
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 18,034
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kerwin View Post
You are exactly right. God is not open to falsehoods.
How do you know? Did he tell you, or a bunch of other human beings claiming to know what God's will is?
__________________
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #28
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,694
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
How do you know? Did he tell you, or a bunch of other human beings claiming to know what God's will is?
This is a red harring, but I will bite: I know God because I know the Word of God. By faith I accept the Bible as his authoritative word. Reading the Bible is hearing the words from the mouth of God (regardless of the method of recording). HTH
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 01:27 PM   #29
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,996
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
God seems unwilling to be open minded if he thinks his way is the only way.
Seriously? Did you just say that?


He created the Freaking universe, the laws of physics were put into place by him, he placed every hair on your head, and you think it's not fare that he has the ultimate say in things? Do you understand the ridiculousness of your statement?


Sure, you can doubt his way, you can question it, you can even ignore it; but to say he shouldn't have the say (with the breath he allows you to have) in what is the ultimate way, is pure arrogance. That statement is what's wrong with our worlds view on God.
L4CX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 01:34 PM   #30
GreaseMonkey
Pew pew!
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 18,034
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kerwin View Post
This is a red harring, but I will bite: I know God because I know the Word of God. By faith I accept the Bible as his authoritative word. Reading the Bible is hearing the words from the mouth of God (regardless of the method of recording). HTH
That's quite a stretch to call it a recording. The word of god is the word of man said to be the word of god.
__________________
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 01:40 PM   #31
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,694
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
That's quite a stretch to call it a recording. The word of god is the word of man said to be the word of god.
No it isn't. It was recorded in history, that is a fact. Whether or not you believe the divine inspiration is up for question. I have plenty of reasons to believe that, but my experience is that no matter how overwhelming the evidence, folks who simply do not want to believe will simply not believe. I am a car salesman, and folks that don't way to buy, won't buy no matter how nice the car or how sweet the savings. Sorry, I think of everything in terms of Jesus and cars.

Please see my previous post that was longer, because that was the point of the thread. Back on topic.
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 01:49 PM   #32
deerebowtie
Unchained
 
deerebowtie's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-04-09
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 1,767
iTrader: (24)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

empirical evidence ftw. democrat level argument at best. sigh.....
deerebowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 02:02 PM   #33
mojave01x2
Senior Member
 
mojave01x2's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-01-08
Location: Hell Michigan
Posts: 1,030
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I just wonder if there will be a group of people that in 2000 to 3000 years from now will believe harry potter was real because someone wrote about him too.

I get it people dont always like themselves and need to believe someone/thing will always love and forgive them, get a dog.

I am joking of course, no I am not a believer and I dont really care if someone is to each our own.
mojave01x2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 04:09 PM   #34
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,860
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
You say that like it's just something that you can decide to do. I don't feel that way about it. I would love to be able to "just believe". Life would be so much simpler if I believed that all I had to do was trust in Jesus and God and all that and follow a few simple rules and everything would be all right. But I seem to be lacking whatever it takes to just "have faith". And if that's what it takes, I don't think just going through the motions will cut it.
x2
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 04:13 PM   #35
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,860
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets View Post
This is a classic example of Pascal's Wager.
yep. As if you could just choose to believe something...


To believe something, you have to be convinced by evidence. You can't just will yourself to believe something without evidence, which is what I think some people think.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 04:13 PM   #36
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,789
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
Seriously? Did you just say that?


He created the Freaking universe,According to you, people who belive in god, and god. the laws of physics were put into place by him,According to you, people who belive in god, and god. he placed every hair on your head, According to you, people who belive in god, and god. and you think it's not fare that he has the ultimate say in things? Do you understand the ridiculousness of your statement? Do you see the ridiculousness in yours?


Sure, you can doubt his way, you can question it, you can even ignore it; but to say he shouldn't have the say (with the breath he allows you to haveAccording to you, people who belive in god, and god. ) in what is the ultimate way, is pure arroganceAccording to you, people who belive in god, and god. . That statement is what's wrong with our worlds view on God.
As someone who does not believe in "god" do you realize that I could take your statement and turn it directly around on you?

That's the part about me vs you that will never change.

I am open minded enough to understand you have your beliefs, you will never be open minded enough to understand how ridiculous your beliefs are to people that do not believe in them.

There is plenty of scientific evidence that suggests your statement is as ridiculous if not more ridiculous than what you are claiming mine is.
kickstand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 04:17 PM   #37
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,789
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kerwin View Post
You are exactly right. God is not open to falsehoods.
According to God. And his believers. A very closed minded group of people.
kickstand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 04:18 PM   #38
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,860
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
Seriously? Did you just say that?


He created the Freaking universe, the laws of physics were put into place by him, he placed every hair on your head, and you think it's not fare that he has the ultimate say in things? Do you understand the ridiculousness of your statement?


Sure, you can doubt his way, you can question it, you can even ignore it; but to say he shouldn't have the say (with the breath he allows you to have) in what is the ultimate way, is pure arrogance. That statement is what's wrong with our worlds view on God.
lol. It's ok to not believe in it's existence, but don't don't say that the thing you don't believe in shouldn't have it's way...
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 05:16 PM   #39
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,694
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
According to God. And his believers. A very closed minded group of people.
And your point is??

God is closed minded according to God. To that I say, AMEN!

It is actually very good news that God is opposed to falsehoods. For example, if God had no standards, there would be no right and wrong. It would not be wrong for your neighbor to sleep with wife. Or the pedifile down the street to molest your child. Deep down, you are glad that God is closed to falsehoods and sets standards of righteousness. God's law is Holy, and it was designed that you and I find the end of ourselves and therefore find Him, become forgiven by him, accept his righteousness instead of our own, and be rewarded with eternal life, and all of that not of our own accord but based solely on the work of Christ on the cross.
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 05:21 PM   #40
GreaseMonkey
Pew pew!
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 18,034
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

So Jesus doesn't love everyone no matter what? Unconditional love is not a Christian principle?
__________________
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.37830 seconds with 81 queries