Religious people are less intelligent than atheists, study finds - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old August 12th, 2013, 01:02 PM   #1
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,560
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default Religious people are less intelligent than atheists, study finds

Interesting...

Quote:
Religious people are less intelligent than non-believers, according to a new review of 63 scientific studies stretching back over decades.

A team led by Miron Zuckerman of the University of Rochester found “a reliable negative relation between intelligence and religiosity” in 53 out of 63 studies

Even in extreme old age, intelligent people are less likely to believe, the researchers found - and the reasons why people with high IQs shun religion may not be as simple as previously thought.

Previous studies have tended to assume that intelligent people simply “know better”, the researchers write - but the reasons may be more complex.
Famous atheist Richard Dawkins (ZUMA / Rex Features)


For instance, intelligent people are more likely to be married, and more likely to be successful in life - and this may mean they “need” religion less.

The studies used in Zuckerman's paper included a life-long analysis of the beliefs of a group of 1,500 gifted children - those with IQs over 135 - in a study which began in 1921 and continues today.

Even at 75 to 91 years of age, the children from Lewis Terman’s study scored lower for religiosity than the general population - contrary to the widely held belief that people turn to God as they age. The researchers noted that data was lacking about religious attitudes in old age and say, “Additional research is needed to resolve this issue.”

As early as 1958, Michael Argyle concluded, “Although intelligent children grasp religious concepts earlier, they are also the first to doubt the truth of religion, and intelligent students are much less likely to accept orthodox beliefs, and rather less likely to have pro-religious attitudes.”

A 1916 study quoted in Zuckerman’s paper (Leuba) found that, “58% of randomly selected scientists in the United States expressed disbelief in, or doubt regarding the existence of God; this proportion rose to nearly 70% for the most eminent scientists.”

The paper, published in the academic journal Personality and Social Psychology Review, said “Most extant explanations (of a negative relation) share one central theme—the premise that religious beliefs are irrational, not anchored in science, not testable and, therefore, unappealing to intelligent people who “know better.”

The answer may, however, be more complex. Intelligent people may simply be able to provide themselves with the psychological benefits offered by religion - such as “self-regulation and self-enhancement”, because they are more likely to be successful, and have stable lives.

“Intelligent people typically spend more time in school—a form of self-regulation that may yield long-term benefits,” the researchers write. “More intelligent people get higher level jobs (and better employment (and higher salary) may lead to higher self-esteem, and encourage personal control beliefs.”

“Last, more intelligent people are more likely to get and stay married (greater attachment), though for intelligent people, that too comes later in life. We therefore suggest that as intelligent people move from young adulthood to adulthood and then to middle age, the benefits of intelligence may continue to accrue.”

The researchers suggest that further research on the “function” of religion may reveal more..

“People possessing the functions that religion provides are likely to adopt atheism, people lacking these very functions (e.g., the poor, the helpless) are likely to adopt theism,” the researchers wrote.
http://news.yahoo.com/religious-peop...3.html#upCr476
brewmenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old August 12th, 2013, 01:40 PM   #2
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,694
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Sounds like they are measuring intelligence by the ability to regurgitate information on a test.
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 01:47 PM   #3
FORD FLARESIDE
in hockey, size matters
 
FORD FLARESIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-09-06
Location: Comstock Park
Posts: 22,071
iTrader: (24)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Default

Don't bite Dave, its not worth the aggrevation...........
FORD FLARESIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 02:23 PM   #4
wave_crusher
I'll Direc your TV
 
wave_crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-20-09
Location: Big Rapids, MI
Posts: 5,276
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

wave_crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #5
BlooMule
Jet powered
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 26,107
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

I would tend to disagree. I have had some interesting discussions with some very intelligent, and very devout, Christians over the years.


Now if the study was confined to GL4x4 Christians and atheists..... well.....
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #6
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,996
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Mormons are some of the most successful people in our country. They are Religious.

Our Founding fathers, while not strictly Christian, were primarily Religious, were they unintelligent?

As I read the brief quote I kind of got the message that they think being successful or having more self control/motivation made you smarter. It doesn't, it just makes you more successful and have more self control and motivation.

That's what I got out of it. While it is true that religious people tend to rely on God for motivation and purpose, I don't see anything wrong with it. (Of course, I'm one of them). For some odd reason the idea of going to an outside source for anything has slowly become a negative thing. It's also a reason I think our country is going down the crapper.

Let's say I'm an intellectual person and I have an 'eye opening experience' with the God of the universe. This experience has showed me, even though I think I am self sufficient, that I am not. That I need something other then my self to keep going. Does that make me less Intellectual or more?

I think, in most experiences with God, the difference is not intellect, but pride. I would go as far to say that the more intellectual you are, the more proud you are of your self. The reason you don't believe, or rely, on a God is because you don't think you need to; And when you reach that point where the answer is not in you, you don't know what to do. To be honest, you can't do much more then rely on God.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #7
Mudking
Senior Member
 
Mudking's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-15-13
Location: Chelsea/MI
Posts: 975
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I would rather believe in God and find out there is not one, than not believe in God and find out there is when I die.
Mudking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 06:12 PM   #8
FORD FLARESIDE
in hockey, size matters
 
FORD FLARESIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-09-06
Location: Comstock Park
Posts: 22,071
iTrader: (24)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
Mormons are some of the most successful people in our country. They are Religious.

Our Founding fathers, while not strictly Christian, were primarily Religious, were they unintelligent?

As I read the brief quote I kind of got the message that they think being successful or having more self control/motivation made you smarter. It doesn't, it just makes you more successful and have more self control and motivation.

That's what I got out of it. While it is true that religious people tend to rely on God for motivation and purpose, I don't see anything wrong with it. (Of course, I'm one of them). For some odd reason the idea of going to an outside source for anything has slowly become a negative thing. It's also a reason I think our country is going down the crapper.

Let's say I'm an intellectual person and I have an 'eye opening experience' with the God of the universe. This experience has showed me, even though I think I am self sufficient, that I am not. That I need something other then my self to keep going. Does that make me less Intellectual or more?

I think, in most experiences with God, the difference is not intellect, but pride. I would go as far to say that the more intellectual you are, the more proud you are of your self. The reason you don't believe, or rely, on a God is because you don't think you need to; And when you reach that point where the answer is not in you, you don't know what to do. To be honest, you can't do much more then rely on God.
I stand corrected, nice work.
FORD FLARESIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 06:12 PM   #9
howell_jeep
Last Free Man
 
howell_jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-09-06
Location: Howell Twp, MI 48836
Posts: 10,848
iTrader: (69)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

I stopped believing and my IQ soared.
howell_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #10
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,560
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kerwin View Post
Sounds like they are measuring intelligence by the ability to regurgitate information on a test.
I didn't get that feeling. I didn't see anything really about how they were gauging intelligence.
brewmenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 09:28 PM   #11
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,560
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooMule View Post
I would tend to disagree. I have had some interesting discussions with some very intelligent, and very devout, Christians over the years.


Now if the study was confined to GL4x4 Christians and atheists..... well.....
I also know some very intelligent devout Christians. But I don't think a few exceptions negates the rule.
brewmenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 09:46 PM   #12
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,560
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
Mormons are some of the most successful people in our country. They are Religious.

Our Founding fathers, while not strictly Christian, were primarily Religious, were they unintelligent?

As I read the brief quote I kind of got the message that they think being successful or having more self control/motivation made you smarter. It doesn't, it just makes you more successful and have more self control and motivation.

That's what I got out of it. While it is true that religious people tend to rely on God for motivation and purpose, I don't see anything wrong with it. (Of course, I'm one of them). For some odd reason the idea of going to an outside source for anything has slowly become a negative thing. It's also a reason I think our country is going down the crapper.

Let's say I'm an intellectual person and I have an 'eye opening experience' with the God of the universe. This experience has showed me, even though I think I am self sufficient, that I am not. That I need something other then my self to keep going. Does that make me less Intellectual or more?

I think, in most experiences with God, the difference is not intellect, but pride. I would go as far to say that the more intellectual you are, the more proud you are of your self. The reason you don't believe, or rely, on a God is because you don't think you need to; And when you reach that point where the answer is not in you, you don't know what to do. To be honest, you can't do much more then rely on God.
I didn't read it as saying that they considered people intelligent because they were successful, it said they were successful because they were intelligent, and that success leads to a feeling of not needing religion.

You're probably right about pride. Thinking of people I know, the ones that have more pride in themselves tend to be the least religious. It takes some humility to admit you're not perfect and humble yourself to God.
brewmenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 09:56 PM   #13
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,560
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudking View Post
I would rather believe in God and find out there is not one, than not believe in God and find out there is when I die.
You say that like it's just something that you can decide to do. I don't feel that way about it. I would love to be able to "just believe". Life would be so much simpler if I believed that all I had to do was trust in Jesus and God and all that and follow a few simple rules and everything would be all right. But I seem to be lacking whatever it takes to just "have faith". And if that's what it takes, I don't think just going through the motions will cut it.
brewmenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 10:24 PM   #14
BlooMule
Jet powered
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 26,107
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
I also know some very intelligent devout Christians. But I don't think a few exceptions negates the rule.
I wouldn't say negates, but I would say it's a matter of opinion- i.e. some people think that talk of an invisible man in the sky sounds less intelligent.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 07:28 AM   #15
Mr.Green456123
I can levitate!
 
Mr.Green456123's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-29-05
Location: Nort Keralina
Posts: 8,234
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

I stopped reading at "For instance, intelligent people are more likely to be married".
Mr.Green456123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 07:34 AM   #16
Mr.Green456123
I can levitate!
 
Mr.Green456123's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-29-05
Location: Nort Keralina
Posts: 8,234
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
I would love to be able to "just believe". Life would be so much simpler if I believed that all I had to do was trust in Jesus and God and all that and follow a few simple rules and everything would be all right.

You see, you do understand, it is in you. Congrats!
Mr.Green456123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 07:35 AM   #17
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,694
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

For Christ didn't send me to baptize, but to preach the Good News--and not with clever speech, for fear that the cross of Christ would lose its power. The message of the cross is foolish to those who are headed for destruction! But we who are being saved know it is the very power of God. As the Scriptures say, "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise and discard the intelligence of the intelligent." (1 Corinthians 1:17-19)
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 07:48 AM   #18
mojave01x2
Senior Member
 
mojave01x2's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-01-08
Location: Hell Michigan
Posts: 1,030
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kerwin View Post
"I will destroy the wisdom of the wise and discard the intelligence of the intelligent." (1 Corinthians 1:17-19)
Exactly what brainwashing does.
mojave01x2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 08:44 AM   #19
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,238
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojave01x2 View Post
Exactly what brainwashing does.
Are you not also being brain washed by the world? Corrupting your mind to believe what the world says.
The world says their is no God, but as Christians we have seen Him, in what He has done in our lives.
I think everybody needs a brainwashing from what the world is attempting to push on people.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 08:47 AM   #20
GreaseMonkey
Pew pew!
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 18,037
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
Are you not also being brain washed by the world? Corrupting your mind to believe what the world says.
The world says their is no God, but as Christians we have seen Him, in what He has done in our lives.
I think everybody needs a brainwashing from what the world is attempting to push on people.
The world pushing things on people.

Yea, religion doesn't do that at all either.

I can't speak for all agnostics/atheists, but in my case I arrived at my conclusions by my own thoughts alone.
__________________
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.37092 seconds with 81 queries