Diabetes and eating out...suggestions? - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old August 12th, 2013, 12:26 PM   #1
lgottler
Senior Member
 
lgottler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-30-06
Location: New Baltimore, MI
Posts: 1,390
iTrader: (17)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default Diabetes and eating out...suggestions?

Wife is having a birthday and I want to take her out to eat dinner. Problem is she has gestational diabetes again, so who has the best options for someone having to watch numbers? She likes unos and mexican.....help me to be sensitive to her needs!
lgottler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old August 12th, 2013, 12:35 PM   #2
Sandals
Fucking Zen as Shit
 
Sandals's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Lindenhurst, IL
Posts: 15,426
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Uh, i'm able to eat most anywhere and i have to eat out about 30 weeks out of the year.

She just has to order high protein, low carb/sugar.

Pizza would be a bad option unless she is only eating one or two slices max and nothing else.

I eat a lot of salads, chicken and steak, rice can be bad and drive blood sugar up, along with pasta/noodles.
Sandals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 02:34 PM   #3
joe_jeep
welfare wheeler
 
joe_jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-03-06
Location: hazel park, mi
Posts: 5,862
iTrader: (37)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to joe_jeep
Default

lean meat, chicken, steak, pork, fish is fine, salads, most vegetables are good

no potatoes, no rice, no bread, no pasta, no carrots, no starches, very little fruit.
no deserts, no pizza, no processed corn, no sugar!

congrats on the new little one!
good luck!
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 02:56 PM   #4
lgottler
Senior Member
 
lgottler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-30-06
Location: New Baltimore, MI
Posts: 1,390
iTrader: (17)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

She knows what to eat. I dont know a restaurant with many good choices. Last time I took her local she ate half my sandwich, I dont share well!

I'm wanting to hear: " blablabla is good and has a menu listing carbs and has...." I will probably end up taking her to unos, she will make me do the blood test so her doctor doesn't yell at her! Jk

Mexican....chicken no rice.....no noodles....limited bread
lgottler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 03:02 PM   #5
joe_jeep
welfare wheeler
 
joe_jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-03-06
Location: hazel park, mi
Posts: 5,862
iTrader: (37)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to joe_jeep
Default

i would suggest possibly chinese, seafood, or a good steak house.
avoid the pizza place or any italian place.
i dont know your area, so i cant suggest a particular place.
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 03:18 PM   #6
BlooMule
Jet powered
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 26,541
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgottler View Post
She knows what to eat. I dont know a restaurant with many good choices. Last time I took her local she ate half my sandwich, I dont share well!

I'm wanting to hear: " blablabla is good and has a menu listing carbs and has...." I will probably end up taking her to unos, she will make me do the blood test so her doctor doesn't yell at her! Jk

Mexican....chicken no rice.....no noodles....limited bread
I would suggest talking to Immortal, but if they don't serve alcohol, he won't know anything about it.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 03:38 PM   #7
Immortal
NO RELIGION WAT!
 
Immortal's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: In my garage
Posts: 26,326
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooMule View Post
I would suggest talking to Immortal, but if they don't serve alcohol, he won't know anything about it.


IIRC Ruby Tuesdays does the carb type menu. Food is pretty tasty, but I think they over do it with salt sometimes.

Or

The tried and true seafood joints, Mitchell's Fish Market or McCormick & Schmick's.
Immortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 03:43 PM   #8
Immortal
NO RELIGION WAT!
 
Immortal's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: In my garage
Posts: 26,326
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Default

Just thought of another one...........Boodles in Madison Heights! Diamond in the rough for ambiance and gourmet dining. Boodles has the best of both in steaks and seafood.
It is the only place in Madison Heights where you will find new European cars.

Last edited by Immortal; August 12th, 2013 at 03:55 PM.
Immortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #9
kerryann
German cars are hot
 
kerryann's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: West Bloomfield
Posts: 11,446
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Chinese is probably very carby since they put cornstarch in most of the dishes even if you don't get breaded or eat the rice. I would say middle eastern is also good for carbs because you can have veggies and meat. Unos or anything Italian is going to be carby. I typically don't eat many processed foods which tend to be higher carb due to the corn and wheat added but I have found thai, middle eastern, some smaller non chain restaurants tend to have fresher menus.
kerryann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #10
stinkpickle
bitter clinger
 
stinkpickle's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-21-07
Location: Millbury, OH
Posts: 1,211
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
Chinese is probably very carby since they put cornstarch in most of the dishes even if you don't get breaded or eat the rice. I would say middle eastern is also good for carbs because you can have veggies and meat. Unos or anything Italian is going to be carby. I typically don't eat many processed foods which tend to be higher carb due to the corn and wheat added but I have found thai, middle eastern, some smaller non chain restaurants tend to have fresher menus.
Im a type 1 (child hood diabetes), agree with every point here. I tend to avoid chinese, mexican and most Italian. Protein and salads are her friends.
stinkpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 09:57 PM   #11
kerryann
German cars are hot
 
kerryann's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: West Bloomfield
Posts: 11,446
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkpickle View Post
Im a type 1 (child hood diabetes), agree with every point here. I tend to avoid chinese, mexican and most Italian. Protein and salads are her friends.
I was formerly a type 2 but beat it through diet and exercise. I did low carb for almost two years. I used to do blood sugar checks after every meal and even whole grain carbs made my blood sugar spike.
kerryann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 10:14 PM   #12
stinkpickle
bitter clinger
 
stinkpickle's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-21-07
Location: Millbury, OH
Posts: 1,211
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
I was formerly a type 2 but beat it through diet and exercise. I did low carb for almost two years. I used to do blood sugar checks after every meal and even whole grain carbs made my blood sugar spike.
awesome on beating it with diet and exercise! I am pump dependent but diet and especially exercise make this nasty little disease manageable. I find that cardio everyday keeps the spikes down, even with starchy foods.
stinkpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 10:53 PM   #13
waterrat
Senior Member
 
waterrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-24-08
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 1,219
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Use this. Most chains are in the guide. There's an app also.

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/cal...-Y2lkPTIx.html

My son is a type I diabetic and has used this off and on since he was diagnosed 8 years ago.

They have a hard copy version too, you can probably pick one up at Meijer, Walmart or any book store.
waterrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.18292 seconds with 59 queries