Mechanical engineering jobs - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old August 8th, 2013, 01:17 PM   #1
8PTBUCK
The local hipster, yo!
 
8PTBUCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-02-09
Location: Waterford/Gladwin, MI
Posts: 5,838
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Default Mechanical engineering jobs

I am going to school for a mechanical engineering degree, and I am kind of at a crossroads and don't know which way to go.

I currently have an internship with a company that is an automotive supplier. I've been here since last October. I work in research and innovation. It's not that I don't like it here, I am just getting bored. To me, automotive interiors can only be so interesting. I am more of a fast pace worker, and R&I can be very slow at times. I'm sure I could transfer to a program and work more hands on with some of the new developments that are being produced at our plants, but I still don't know if I would enjoy it. It would however be a good experience to see the other end of the spectrum, going from research to production.

Now on to my bigger issue. I enjoy working outdoors. I love working in the environment. My last job, I was a commercial fertilizer and pesticide applicator and even though I complained a lot, I truly enjoyed that more. Maybe if I got paid hourly and not salary, well, that would be a different story.

Anyway, I cannot think of any "outdoor" jobs that would play hand in hand with a ME degree. I want to get the most out of any internships I may get prior to graduation, but I also want to find something that I really enjoy. I enjoy being outside, working with my hands, fixing things, driving, etc. I HATE working at a desk 90% of the time.

Do any of you guys know what might be a good route to take as far as ME jobs that are involved with working outdoors?
8PTBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old August 8th, 2013, 01:24 PM   #2
Skooter_Built
Fuck talk, Duck walk!
 
Skooter_Built's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Whitelake, MI
Posts: 14,598
iTrader: (26)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8PTBUCK View Post
I am going to school for a mechanical engineering degree, and I am kind of at a crossroads and don't know which way to go.

I currently have an internship with a company that is an automotive supplier. I've been here since last October. I work in research and innovation. It's not that I don't like it here, I am just getting bored. To me, automotive interiors can only be so interesting. I am more of a fast pace worker, and R&I can be very slow at times. I'm sure I could transfer to a program and work more hands on with some of the new developments that are being produced at our plants, but I still don't know if I would enjoy it. It would however be a good experience to see the other end of the spectrum, going from research to production.

Now on to my bigger issue. I enjoy working outdoors. I love working in the environment. My last job, I was a commercial fertilizer and pesticide applicator and even though I complained a lot, I truly enjoyed that more. Maybe if I got paid hourly and not salary, well, that would be a different story.

Anyway, I cannot think of any "outdoor" jobs that would play hand in hand with a ME degree. I want to get the most out of any internships I may get prior to graduation, but I also want to find something that I really enjoy. I enjoy being outside, working with my hands, fixing things, driving, etc. I HATE working at a desk 90% of the time.

Do any of you guys know what might be a good route to take as far as ME jobs that are involved with working outdoors?
Off hand look into heavy/mining/forestry equipment. Next left would be something civil engineering (road construction, infrastructure...). All depends if you want to leave Michigan or not.
__________________
I'm the man in White.

If you want peace, prepare for war!

Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting.
Skooter_Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 01:25 PM   #3
wilesin
Senior Member
 
wilesin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-16-09
Location: Iowa
Posts: 2,053
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Would have smarter to do something you enjoy instead of something that just sounded cool. I know many people in your shoes, and all I can do is shake my head.
wilesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 01:26 PM   #4
Lousypirate
Yer a trucker, right?
 
Lousypirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-11-08
Location: Marne 49435
Posts: 12,471
iTrader: (36)
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Default

If you find one, let me know.
__________________
2003 gmc 1500hd quadrasteer "Miley"
2000 jeep cherokee "Herman"
1946 CJ2a "The Kernel"
1977 Ranger 150a bass boat
1987 Yamaha Moto 4 quad
1984 Trac Escot
1989 Cub Cadet 1320
Lousypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 01:28 PM   #5
ajmorell
Senior Member
 
ajmorell's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-22-07
Location: Oshkosh, WI
Posts: 3,558
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ajmorell
Default

Test Engineer. I'm at my desk ~50% of the time, the rest of the time I'm in the lab running tests. I get to work with my hands instrumenting test bodies, setting up data acquisition, run tests, post-process, data, and report it.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 01:31 PM   #6
Lousypirate
Yer a trucker, right?
 
Lousypirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-11-08
Location: Marne 49435
Posts: 12,471
iTrader: (36)
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Default

I just leave for lunch every day to get done fresh air.

Manufacturing engineer/process engineer gets you out on the floor, playing with the machines and improving the product, process, flow, etc. At least it should, as long as the company is more open to change than where I work.
__________________
2003 gmc 1500hd quadrasteer "Miley"
2000 jeep cherokee "Herman"
1946 CJ2a "The Kernel"
1977 Ranger 150a bass boat
1987 Yamaha Moto 4 quad
1984 Trac Escot
1989 Cub Cadet 1320
Lousypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 01:38 PM   #7
silveradoboy
Sam Brown
 
silveradoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-28-12
Location: Waterford/Cheyboygan
Posts: 1,941
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

I work with 8PTBUCK and I really enjoy my job because I am not in research :)

I do think about quitting school and quitting my job everyday and becoming a farmer lol. I get what you are saying Joe. But then I think about the kind of life that I want to live and I realize that I wont be able to live that life being a farmer! Haha
silveradoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 01:39 PM   #8
Skooter_Built
Fuck talk, Duck walk!
 
Skooter_Built's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Whitelake, MI
Posts: 14,598
iTrader: (26)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveradoboy View Post
I work with 8PTBUCK and I really enjoy my job because I am not in research :)

I do think about quitting school and quitting my job everyday and becoming a farmer lol. I get what you are saying Joe. But then I think about the kind of life that I want to live and I realize that I wont be able to live that life being a farmer! Haha
Smart farmers make bank!
__________________
I'm the man in White.

If you want peace, prepare for war!

Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting.
Skooter_Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 01:41 PM   #9
silveradoboy
Sam Brown
 
silveradoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-28-12
Location: Waterford/Cheyboygan
Posts: 1,941
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooter_Built View Post
Smart farmers make bank!
Yeah but the industry is not as stable as Engineering
silveradoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 01:42 PM   #10
8PTBUCK
The local hipster, yo!
 
8PTBUCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-02-09
Location: Waterford/Gladwin, MI
Posts: 5,838
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Default

Sam I would much rather work for your program than research. Yea I know the kind of life I want to live, and I want to obtain that life by doing something that I enjoy doing.
8PTBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 01:45 PM   #11
8PTBUCK
The local hipster, yo!
 
8PTBUCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-02-09
Location: Waterford/Gladwin, MI
Posts: 5,838
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Default

I love working with cars. I would love to work at the GM proving grounds in Milford. I just don't know how I would even begin to apply for an internship there, if they even offer them.
8PTBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 01:52 PM   #12
chasetheface123
Senior Member
 
chasetheface123's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-13-09
Location: Boyne City
Posts: 1,023
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Seriously consider Civil Engineering. My father went to school for mechanical originally and changed to civil. I am currently going to school for mechanical, and do like some of the aspects of Civil. He went into road construction, and if you play your cards right you can become very successful. I plan on majoring in mechanical/civil, and having some sorts of schooling in business.
chasetheface123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 01:52 PM   #13
silveradoboy
Sam Brown
 
silveradoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-28-12
Location: Waterford/Cheyboygan
Posts: 1,941
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8PTBUCK View Post
I love working with cars. I would love to work at the GM proving grounds in Milford. I just don't know how I would even begin to apply for an internship there, if they even offer them.
3.5 gpa or higher at all times, I think they do most of theirs during the summer and not so much all year round.
silveradoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 01:52 PM   #14
GreaseMonkey
Pew pew!
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 18,045
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8PTBUCK View Post
I love working with cars. I would love to work at the GM proving grounds in Milford. I just don't know how I would even begin to apply for an internship there, if they even offer them.
Google GM careers.

To make it out in the world, you may have to learn to become a little more resourceful.

I would look hard into the R&D, testing, durability stuff. You'll get to do a lot of fun things outside of the office, and get the occasional breaks by being in the office as well.

I have a friend similar to you out at Milford and absolutely loves it. My brother-in-law works for GKN, and has a very similar job. He's almost never in the office.
__________________
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 01:52 PM   #15
muddinman56
blood,sweat and beers
 
muddinman56's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-06-08
Location: armada michigan
Posts: 3,691
iTrader: (18)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveradoboy View Post
I work with 8PTBUCK and I really enjoy my job because I am not in research :)

I do think about quitting school and quitting my job everyday and becoming a farmer lol. I get what you are saying Joe. But then I think about the kind of life that I want to live and I realize that I wont be able to live that life being a farmer! Haha
Farming is not easy. If you think your job is hard or you work to many hours you have never farmed or helped on a farm before.

Iv worked on farms and helped in the farming and its a lot of work
muddinman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 01:53 PM   #16
GreaseMonkey
Pew pew!
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 18,045
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasetheface123 View Post
Seriously consider Civil Engineering. My father went to school for mechanical originally and changed to civil. I am currently going to school for mechanical, and do like some of the aspects of Civil. He went into road construction, and if you play your cards right you can become very successful. I plan on majoring in mechanical/civil, and having some sorts of schooling in business.
__________________
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 01:55 PM   #17
muddinman56
blood,sweat and beers
 
muddinman56's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-06-08
Location: armada michigan
Posts: 3,691
iTrader: (18)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8PTBUCK View Post
I love working with cars. I would love to work at the GM proving grounds in Milford. I just don't know how I would even begin to apply for an internship there, if they even offer them.
I have a friend who works at the ford proving grounds in Romeo and he said he really doesn't like it.
Yes you get to beat on new cars and stuff but he said its more paper work then any thing elese
muddinman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 01:57 PM   #18
silveradoboy
Sam Brown
 
silveradoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-28-12
Location: Waterford/Cheyboygan
Posts: 1,941
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddinman56 View Post
Farming is not easy. If you think your job is hard or you work to many hours you have never farmed or helped on a farm before.

Iv worked on farms and helped in the farming and its a lot of work
Never said that I wanted an easier job

I want a job that has some type of reward to it, Engineering is cool and I really enjoy it but I think farming would give a lot more satisfaction. Its just a dream of mine, I would never follow through lol

Maybe when I graduate I can get a job with John Deere or something lol
silveradoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 02:05 PM   #19
muddinman56
blood,sweat and beers
 
muddinman56's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-06-08
Location: armada michigan
Posts: 3,691
iTrader: (18)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveradoboy View Post
Never said that I wanted an easier job

I want a job that has some type of reward to it, Engineering is cool and I really enjoy it but I think farming would give a lot more satisfaction. Its just a dream of mine, I would never follow through lol

Maybe when I graduate I can get a job with John Deere or something lol
It's a dream of mine as well lol just wish I had the money to get started.
I'm an outdoorsmen and I hate being inside but there's not to many jobs for outdoorsmen any more that I know of.

Not every body can be michal wadell and make a living doing what they love.


I would love to work at gander mountin basspro shop or cabelas just wish that you could have a good living off of it.
muddinman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 02:10 PM   #20
ajmorell
Senior Member
 
ajmorell's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-22-07
Location: Oshkosh, WI
Posts: 3,558
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ajmorell
Default

They do some sweet work at Deere, at least they were when I went there to do some testing about 4 years ago. Seeing a 9L prototype diesel wound up producing max boost and throwing down 1700 N-m of torque is fricken sweet....until the cell operator tells you that if if throws a piston it's coming through the wall you're standing behind. I considered working there but I don't know if I could live in Dubuque
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.35233 seconds with 82 queries