Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Another Winch Thread.

3K views 39 replies 17 participants last post by  bigbchevy 
#1 ·
Looking to buy a winch for my TJ. I am filthy rich like Hancho, but am a cheap bastard. Looking to get a decent winch with sythetic line. Lets hear your opinions on this ground breaking subject.

#2 · (Edited)
Cheap w/ syn line. Its hard to beat an engo. I have the e10000s and its been good to me. Outside of a mishap with the wireless controller that I don't think was to blame it always pulled hard and never let me down. It was in the front of my dd for over a year exposed to weather the whole time and worked good. Just slow and loud.

#14 ·
ebay and pick one.look for line speed, motor size and wireless remote. all the cheap ones are about the same.i think there all decent winches.

#16 ·
I said I was a cheap bastard but also specified synthetic cable. That means I am at least a couple of steps above Harbor Freight. 8724 is a nice winch, but I am not planning on getting one. I am also not going to spend $3700. Thinking $700ish range, maybe more if someone could convince me that it was necessary.

#23 ·
Polished turd. Come on, I am a cheap bastard, but not penny wise, pound foolish. My common sense tells me that putting more $ into the synthetic rope than the winch costs might not be the best idea. Maybe I am rong.

This thread sucks.

#22 ·
Brand new in box Warn 9.0rc winch

Misc Jeep Part(s) Brand new in box Warn 9.0rc winch - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Looking to sell a brand new in box, never used Warn 9.0rc winch. This is a very powerful, compact winch that has 50' of synthetic rope, includes aluminum flair lead. $1200obo will entertain trades and offers.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-W...&t_pn=WAR71550

If you want peace, prepare for war!

Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting.
Skooter_Built is offline Report Post

#26 ·
Some people think the slow winches are safer. I HATE (all caps!) being on a run with a bunch of winching and having those el cheapo slow (eat lunch, take a nap, walk back to camp to grab something you forgot, head back and see they are half way there...) winches to wait on. To me wheeling time is precious, spending another 15 minutes for every pull cuts into fun time.There are slow/med winches (Warn m8000 comes to mind) that aren't that bad, then there are the ones with the hamster you have to feed every few feet to keep it going and you can measure grass grow while it pulls.

My opinion, buy the fastest winch you can afford, want to go slow, grab a snatch block. If cheap is the name of the game I would pick the one with the fastest no load line speed. I was happy with my 9.5xp when I used to actually wheel (big amp puller though), my older m6000 had a very fast no load line speed, but I wore it out pulling too hard too often on my TJ.

#32 ·
Just bought the Engo 12000 winch. $490 with syntetic rope, free shipping. I hope I dont regret being a cheap bastard.

ENGO 77-12000S E12000S 12,000 lb 12 Volt Electric Winch with Synthetic Rope
(77-12000S)

$490

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.