Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 26th, 2013, 09:42 AM   #1
Lousypirate
Yo
 
Lousypirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-11-08
Location: Marne 49435
Posts: 10,489
iTrader: (31)
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Default Metal Detectors

Some hairbrained idea to get me to exercise.

I'm sure some people on here have ran or run metal detectors. If I can get into one for cheap, might get me to go on more walks.

Good brands? all waterproof? what to pay for used, etc. etc.

Bored at work on a Friday
Lousypirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 09:52 AM   #2
Skooter_Built
Fuck talk, Duck walk!
 
Skooter_Built's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Whitelake, MI
Posts: 14,405
iTrader: (26)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousypirate View Post
Some hairbrained idea to get me to exercise.

I'm sure some people on here have ran or run metal detectors. If I can get into one for cheap, might get me to go on more walks.

Good brands? all waterproof? what to pay for used, etc. etc.

Bored at work on a Friday
Don't get the one from Walmart.
__________________
I'm the man in White.

If you want peace, prepare for war!

Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting.
Skooter_Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 10:08 AM   #3
Lousypirate
Yo
 
Lousypirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-11-08
Location: Marne 49435
Posts: 10,489
iTrader: (31)
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooter_Built View Post
Don't get the one from Walmart.
Damn I was planning on heading there after work
__________________
2003 gmc 1500hd quadrasteer "Miley"
2000 jeep cherokee "Herman"
1977 Ranger 150a bass boat
1987 Yamaha Moto 4 quad
Lousypirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 10:09 AM   #4
SS
Such Majestic. Wow.
 
SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: Bimini, Bahamas
Posts: 11,493
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Default

To hell with that craziness.

Grab your GPS and go geocache hunting.
__________________
-Jeremy

AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 10:20 AM   #5
scare-crow
the eskimo bro
 
scare-crow's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-04-08
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 1,805
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to scare-crow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS View Post
To hell with that craziness.

Grab your GPS and go geocache hunting.
x2
scare-crow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 10:34 AM   #6
Lousypirate
Yo
 
Lousypirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-11-08
Location: Marne 49435
Posts: 10,489
iTrader: (31)
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS View Post
To hell with that craziness.

Grab your GPS and go geocache hunting.
But I could actually make money from a metal detector?
__________________
2003 gmc 1500hd quadrasteer "Miley"
2000 jeep cherokee "Herman"
1977 Ranger 150a bass boat
1987 Yamaha Moto 4 quad
Lousypirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #7
montecarlo33
The Violator
 
montecarlo33's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-23-07
Location: Otsego County 49735
Posts: 4,329
iTrader: (18)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

hardly gunna hit the jackpot with one. I have one from radio shack and its decent. All ive ever found is my property use to have a barb wire fence around it but it had dropped to the ground then got covered by dirt. Also comes in handy when looking for RR spike corner markers on property cause those get covered up too.
montecarlo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #8
SS
Such Majestic. Wow.
 
SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: Bimini, Bahamas
Posts: 11,493
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Default

Could make money mowing other people's lawns too
__________________
-Jeremy

AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 10:44 AM   #9
howell_jeep
Last Free Man
 
howell_jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-09-06
Location: Howell Twp, MI 48836
Posts: 10,848
iTrader: (69)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Let's get back to metal detectors. I've been looking to buy one for my daughter who would like one. Any of the cheap ones I come across have pretty lousy reviews on Amazon.

Anyone can recommend a good metal detector with good discrimination and pinpointing accuracy? Also needs to be waterproof (submersible) and with settings that a kid can understand.

Thanks.
howell_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 10:47 AM   #10
SS
Such Majestic. Wow.
 
SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: Bimini, Bahamas
Posts: 11,493
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by howell_jeep View Post
Let's get back to metal detectors. I've been looking to buy one for my daughter who would like one. Any of the cheap ones I come across have pretty lousy reviews on Amazon.

Anyone can recommend a good metal detector with good discrimination and pinpointing accuracy? Also needs to be waterproof (submersible) and with settings that a kid can understand.

Thanks.
__________________
-Jeremy

AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #11
howell_jeep
Last Free Man
 
howell_jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-09-06
Location: Howell Twp, MI 48836
Posts: 10,848
iTrader: (69)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

^^^^^
howell_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 10:58 AM   #12
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 20,749
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Default

My wife bought me a pretty decent one a few years back. I played with it for a couple months, didn't find any hidden treasure and haven't touched it in a couple years.

I was convinced I would find all kinds of good shit at Silver Lake. I found lots of bolts and screws, some small brackets & nothing else. Not even a coin.
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 10:59 AM   #13
Lousypirate
Yo
 
Lousypirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-11-08
Location: Marne 49435
Posts: 10,489
iTrader: (31)
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS View Post
Could make money mowing other people's lawns too
Skooter is a long drive.

If I wanted minimum wage side jobs I'd be around the block at McDonald's.
__________________
2003 gmc 1500hd quadrasteer "Miley"
2000 jeep cherokee "Herman"
1977 Ranger 150a bass boat
1987 Yamaha Moto 4 quad
Lousypirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 11:06 AM   #14
SS
Such Majestic. Wow.
 
SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: Bimini, Bahamas
Posts: 11,493
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousypirate View Post
Skooter is a long drive.

If I wanted minimum wage side jobs I'd be around the block at McDonald's.


Geocaching has actually gotten pretty big. It's pretty fun too. You'd be amazed at how many little "treasures" are hidden away all around you. Some of them are pretty tough to find too. I remember a few years ago there was a guy who offered a cash reward to anyone who found the cache he hid on Lake Orion. When everyone failed they tried to say whatever float he set up must've been cut by a boat or something and that the cache was irretrievable. A younger guy took his boat out there to the coordinates, threw on some goggles and dove into the water and found it. Turns out the guy got an accurate depth finder reading of the spot and attached a float to a length of rope and anchor that would hold the cache ~12 feet underwater. The only way to retrieve it was to dive for it.
__________________
-Jeremy

AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 11:57 AM   #15
fordbronco
Senior Member
 
fordbronco's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-22-11
Location: Marlette/Flint
Posts: 4,287
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Just find one at a garage sale. When you find out that you won't get rich and throw it in the garage, you're not going to feel sad from a bad investment.
fordbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 12:11 PM   #16
busyfixin
Balls Deep
 
busyfixin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-24-06
Location: williamsburg, MI
Posts: 3,179
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS View Post


Geocaching has actually gotten pretty big. It's pretty fun too. You'd be amazed at how many little "treasures" are hidden away all around you. Some of them are pretty tough to find too. I remember a few years ago there was a guy who offered a cash reward to anyone who found the cache he hid on Lake Orion. When everyone failed they tried to say whatever float he set up must've been cut by a boat or something and that the cache was irretrievable. A younger guy took his boat out there to the coordinates, threw on some goggles and dove into the water and found it. Turns out the guy got an accurate depth finder reading of the spot and attached a float to a length of rope and anchor that would hold the cache ~12 feet underwater. The only way to retrieve it was to dive for it.
Does this same guy find Go-Pro's on lake bottoms too?
busyfixin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 12:11 PM   #17
Lousypirate
Yo
 
Lousypirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-11-08
Location: Marne 49435
Posts: 10,489
iTrader: (31)
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS View Post


Geocaching has actually gotten pretty big. It's pretty fun too. You'd be amazed at how many little "treasures" are hidden away all around you. Some of them are pretty tough to find too. I remember a few years ago there was a guy who offered a cash reward to anyone who found the cache he hid on Lake Orion. When everyone failed they tried to say whatever float he set up must've been cut by a boat or something and that the cache was irretrievable. A younger guy took his boat out there to the coordinates, threw on some goggles and dove into the water and found it. Turns out the guy got an accurate depth finder reading of the spot and attached a float to a length of rope and anchor that would hold the cache ~12 feet underwater. The only way to retrieve it was to dive for it.
Isn't it just people signing a piece of paper saying that they found it for the most part?





Quote:
Originally Posted by fordbronco View Post
Just find one at a garage sale. When you find out that you won't get rich and throw it in the garage, you're not going to feel sad from a bad investment.
I realize I won't get rich, might try to trade for one. Something else to do basically. Cheap to get into, but didn't want to be bummed from an inferior unit.
__________________
2003 gmc 1500hd quadrasteer "Miley"
2000 jeep cherokee "Herman"
1977 Ranger 150a bass boat
1987 Yamaha Moto 4 quad
Lousypirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 02:39 PM   #18
fordbronco
Senior Member
 
fordbronco's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-22-11
Location: Marlette/Flint
Posts: 4,287
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousypirate View Post
I realize I won't get rich, might try to trade for one. Something else to do basically. Cheap to get into, but didn't want to be bummed from an inferior unit.
Keep the cheap part in mind
fordbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.19638 seconds with 46 queries