Is God shellfish? - Page 2 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old July 26th, 2013, 11:20 PM   #21
dreezy
Haggard Fab
 
dreezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: Holland Mi
Posts: 10,270
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to dreezy Send a message via MSN to dreezy
Default

I have lost too many friends at a young age to feel bad about somebody who made it to 50.
__________________
"you think you're precious, I think you're shit."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
Ryan, if I wanted any shit from you, I'd go looking for Leah's strap-on.
dreezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old July 27th, 2013, 02:31 AM   #22
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,559
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS View Post
If you believe in God and heaven and what not... She went to a far better place. Wouldn't that make you the selfish one?
That pretty much sums it up. If you believe in God and heaven and all that, then you should be happy that she is now with God. If you don't believe in God, you have no one to complain to.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 09:26 PM   #23
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,996
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8PTBUCK View Post
I don't get it. Why would he take somebody so young, so full of life, somebody that would do anything to help others. I know they say God has a plan for everybody, and when people pass away, it's their time, but I just don't get it. I've heard God is always right. I've heard God never makes mistakes. I've been a Catholic my whole life, 21 years. I was brought up in the church, and someday plan to raise my kids in the church as I was. But right now, I am really questioning everything.

A very close friend of the family recently passed away. She had just turned 50 earlier this year. She came home from work, was getting ready for bed, and her husband heard a loud "thunk" come from the bathroom. He went to check on her, and she was foaming at the mouth. He called the neighbor, and then 911. They, the paramedics, revived her 5 times, but they just couldn't keep her with us.

I just don't get it.
I'm sorry for your loss. Loosing a loved one is never easy.

I think God is allowed to be selfish. I know that won't be a popular answer here, but I do. He created us in his image and created the whole of existence to revolve around him. I think if we can keep that perspective on life (weather living or recently passed) we can understand and be comforted by that thought.

God has a plan for every single one of us. Those plans are to glorify him. Not because he needs or wants the attention but because we are created to be in a relationship with him. I don't know what part of that spectrum your friend was in but I can tell you that she is in a place that is better. A place were we can be the people we were created to be with no hindrance.

I pray that God will use your time of Doubt and pain to draw you closer to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS View Post
What you can do is be thankful that you got to share your life with them and got to know them while they were here. Honor their memory and thank God for the time you had with them. You never know. You might be reunited with them tomorrow.
Amen.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 10:10 PM   #24
cj65
Senior Member
 
cj65's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-07-07
Location: 48174
Posts: 3,922
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

I used to be a very religious person. I'm not going to go into a lot of detail here but as a child I beat cancer and was very thankful to god. Then in 2008 lost my lifelong best friend in a motorcycle accident. In the same year another good friend of mine had his 3 year old son kidnapped the boy was beaten and raped. At that point I quit believing in god. If that is in the plan for someone I said F U god! Now i live my life still along the Christian "guidelines" but I don't go to worship the lord or do his work.

If people still believe in god I have no issue with that. But I think once they have their eyes opened up they will see that if that's they way that god want to be then he's an asshole.
I mean why would he take children from someone that loves and cares for them more than anything in this world. But then allow some crackwhore have ten and she don't give two shits for them? I've said enough 8ptbuck I'm sorry for your loss and I hope your grieving is easy for you.
cj65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 10:17 PM   #25
amc78cj7
Senior Member
 
amc78cj7's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 5,354
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj65 View Post
I used to be a very religious person. I'm not going to go into a lot of detail here but as a child I beat cancer and was very thankful to god. Then in 2008 lost my lifelong best friend in a motorcycle accident. In the same year another good friend of mine had his 3 year old son kidnapped the boy was beaten and raped. At that point I quit believing in god. If that is in the plan for someone I said F U god! Now i live my life still along the Christian "guidelines" but I don't go to worship the lord or do his work.

If people still believe in god I have no issue with that. But I think once they have their eyes opened up they will see that if that's they way that god want to be then he's an asshole.
I mean why would he take children from someone that loves and cares for them more than anything in this world. But then allow some crackwhore have ten and she don't give two shits for them? I've said enough 8ptbuck I'm sorry for your loss and I hope your grieving is easy for you.
I'm confused by your post. Do you believe that God exists, but you just don't want to be a follower; or do you think that we are here by some random chance and there is no God, in which case you are angry at something that doesn't exist?
__________________
I'm not quoting idiots who promote unsafe recovery strap techniques anymore. :miff:
amc78cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 10:28 PM   #26
Padilen
Senior Member
 
Padilen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-17-12
Location: LeRoy Michigan
Posts: 1,755
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

God didn't "take" he allowed.
Padilen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 10:29 PM   #27
cj65
Senior Member
 
cj65's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-07-07
Location: 48174
Posts: 3,922
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc78cj7 View Post
I'm confused by your post. Do you believe that God exists, but you just don't want to be a follower; or do you think that we are here by some random chance and there is no God, in which case you are angry at something that doesn't exist?
I believe that god does exist. But I will not live and devote my time/life to him. If I have a issue I no longer turn to god for guidance. I turn to my father or use my best judgement. To me god/Satan could just be the same being. Why else would a childs life be taken?
cj65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 10:56 PM   #28
amc78cj7
Senior Member
 
amc78cj7's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 5,354
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj65 View Post
I believe that god does exist. But I will not live and devote my time/life to him. If I have a issue I no longer turn to god for guidance. I turn to my father or use my best judgement. To me god/Satan could just be the same being. Why else would a childs life be taken?
Could it be that free will exists, and that everything is not pre-destined or caused by God? That God and Satan are opposing forces and that shit happens, not because God caused it, but just because.

You think that God causes every thing that occurs, then by that logic He also causes people to sin and to turn against Him? That makes no sense. That is free will.

When shit happens, you turn to your father. When you make a mistake, you turn to your father. When you need direction to help deal with a problem, you turn to your father. When you need love and compassion, you turn to your father.

So do I.
__________________
I'm not quoting idiots who promote unsafe recovery strap techniques anymore. :miff:
amc78cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2013, 10:05 AM   #29
concreteguy82
Yeah Buddy!!
 
concreteguy82's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-01-11
Location: Clio, Michigan
Posts: 2,974
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Sorry to hear that 8pt.
concreteguy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2013, 10:34 AM   #30
IrishChef
Comfortably Numb
 
IrishChef's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-02-06
Location: Norway, MI.
Posts: 735
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Lost my first daughter at ten days. If God has a plan, I'd like to know what is.
__________________
"Am I dead yet?"
IrishChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2013, 05:52 PM   #31
amc78cj7
Senior Member
 
amc78cj7's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 5,354
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

1 Corinthians 13:11-13

When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child.
When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me.

For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face.
Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love.
But the greatest of these is love.


-Written by Paul, as he was suffering in a prison.
__________________
I'm not quoting idiots who promote unsafe recovery strap techniques anymore. :miff:
amc78cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #32
cj65
Senior Member
 
cj65's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-07-07
Location: 48174
Posts: 3,922
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishChef View Post
Lost my first daughter at ten days. If God has a plan, I'd like to know what is.
Sorry for your loss and gods plan sucks
cj65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #33
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,996
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

8ptbck, I don't mean to take away from your loss. It is sad to loose loved ones. Wee are praying for you and the family.

If God is really God and he created the whole of existence, who are we to question his plan? A child thinks they know better then thier parents. Its because they haven't learned that that thing is not good for them. The parents have a better understanding because they are more mature. I AM NOT SAYING that God takes away loved ones because they are bad for us, I am saying that we can't possibly un derstand Gods total plan because we have 1) a very limited understanding (compared to the Creator of the universe) 2) we lack the eternal perspective that God has. If I wasn't on my phone, I could link to a pretty good video about perspective. Maybe I'll link it up once I get to work.

Either way, to say (and live your life according to it)"Gods plan is stupid" IMO, Is the equivalent of the kid in the grocery store who can't get the candy bar. The only difference is that the candy bar becomes something harder to give up as we mature.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013, 12:33 AM   #34
IrishChef
Comfortably Numb
 
IrishChef's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-02-06
Location: Norway, MI.
Posts: 735
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
8ptbck, I don't mean to take away from your loss. It is sad to loose loved ones. Wee are praying for you and the family.

If God is really God and he created the whole of existence, who are we to question his plan? A child thinks they know better then thier parents. Its because they haven't learned that that thing is not good for them. The parents have a better understanding because they are more mature. I AM NOT SAYING that God takes away loved ones because they are bad for us, I am saying that we can't possibly un derstand Gods total plan because we have 1) a very limited understanding (compared to the Creator of the universe) 2) we lack the eternal perspective that God has. If I wasn't on my phone, I could link to a pretty good video about perspective. Maybe I'll link it up once I get to work.

Either way, to say (and live your life according to it)"Gods plan is stupid" IMO, Is the equivalent of the kid in the grocery store who can't get the candy bar. The only difference is that the candy bar becomes something harder to give up as we mature.

You're fucked. I want my daughter back.
__________________
"Am I dead yet?"
IrishChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013, 09:58 AM   #35
Padilen
Senior Member
 
Padilen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-17-12
Location: LeRoy Michigan
Posts: 1,755
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

And I'd want my sister back if I didn't believe.
My sister was considered mentally retarded. Yet she worked and had more common sense then "normal" people.
She loved life. She enjoyed work and play . But she never understood people wanting to hurt others.
She died in June of 11.
Do you know that I'm thank-ful she didn't have to see what evil man did to man on 9-11.
Padilen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #36
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,996
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishChef View Post
You're fucked. I want my daughter back.
I'm sorry for your loss and I'm 100% confident I would feel, initially, the same way if my daughter were to pass away. Anger, Mourning, sadness, etc. are all part of the grieving process. A handful of my closest friends have had late term miscarriages and didn't get to spend ANY time with thier unborn child and would give anything to have even an hour with them. However, they understand that the pain from that experience has made them, and their faith, stronger. Are they still sad? Yes. Do they want thier child back? Yes. Do they question God's plan in light of this? Initially, probably but they have come to realize that God is so much bigger and has, not just a better understanding, but a complete understanding of his plan for each one of our lives. And don't forget that, theologically speaking, every one of us is a child of God first and a child to our parents second.

Of course, that's all if you believe in God and what he teaches through the Bible. If you claim you don't believe in God because he did something to you (or a family member), that's ludicrous and ridiculous. It makes no sense.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.29579 seconds with 69 queries