Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

oil starvation on startup with remote filter and accumulator

1K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  knaffie 
#1 ·
I'm getting some engine noise on startup until I see oil pressure on the gauge, which is usually 5 seconds or so. I have a Canton remote oil filter setup with the filter mounted pretty high in the car. I have a Moroso 3 quart accumulator plumbed into an adapter that replaces the factory oil bypass. I do not have an oil cooler, so the lines for the oil filter go out, to the filter, then back in.

I'm guessing since the filter is mounted pretty high that oil is draining back into the engine and I'm getting noise until the remote lines get full of oil again. I have done a lot of research on the M1-302 (Mobil 1) filter I have on there and found that while it does have an anti drain back valve in it, a few people have noted that it does not work all that well, based on informal (at home) tests and the same engine noise at startup I'm hearing.

So....... Different oil filter? Install a real check valve in the system? Else?

See less See more
#6 ·
Maybe an 12 volt, normally closed, electric valve, wired into ignition. When you shut off the engine, the valve closes, trapping oil and pressure. When you turn key on, valve opens, and pressurizes the system.

Or some other method of utilizing the accumulator to pressurize the system before startup.

#11 ·
I absolutely need an accumulator. It has nothing to do with being a rec rig or a race rig. I take just as steep of lines as anybody else does. Sometimes an extra 30 seconds is all it takes to be able to drive out of a situation. I would say in my first two days out without it, I probably saw the oil pressure gauge hit zero 10 times. As soon as I put the nose up high, I had about 10 to 15 seconds before the oil pressure started to drop. This is why I put the accumulator on there in the first place. That problem is solved now. I have not seen the gauge drop since installing the accumulator. Not that it will never drop, but I have always been able to get back off the incline soon enough to prevent that from happening.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.