Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

97 Silverado 5.0 performance chip question?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  skife 
#1 ·
I just picked up a 97 CK1500 with the 305 in it. I was contemplating getting a performance chip (not a tuner) to try and squeeze a little more horsepower, but more importantly, MPG's seeing as how I drive about 100 miles a day to work and school. My concern is that the truck has over 200k miles on it. Granted, it has no ticks, delays, and shifts right when it's supposed to, and doesn't lag at all. My main reason for the post was to get some feedback from you guys that may have used a tuner or chip on a high milage vehicle and could point me in the right direction before I do something catastrophic. Thanks in advance for all of the info guys!

#5 ·
I had a superchips tuner for a while, I really liked it it was handy to be able to customize shift points and what your tune is set for (performance, towing..etc). If your looking for something like that and if you tow different things then go with a handheld tuner, most of them allow you to read/clear DTCs as well.

I already have a scanner so the read/clear DTC wasn't as important to me; I ended up selling the tuner and I bought a BlackBear Customs tuned PCM; I basically bought it because I had money burning a hole in my pocket. I loved it though; I could really tell a difference performance wise over stock and the handheld tuner. When I did my tune form I only had them remove 75% of the TM in the hopes that when the time comes that I need to tow something 8k lbs+ I should be good. I also kept the stock computer if I really wanted to switch back to tow with. I don't tow very often and usually it's just two 4-wheelers or sleds. All that being said the truck is not driving right now because the oil pump went while I was driving down the freeway; stupid me didn't pay attention to the oil pressure

Really though for $200, if all your doing is driving it then you'd be better off getting a high flow air filter (I prefer AEM, I like the dry flow better), some better ignition parts and driving it. You won't see much of a MPG gain with just a tune, maybe 1 mpg if that. that's about what I see with a 4x4

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.