Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > General Tech
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 12th, 2013, 04:03 PM   #1
REPBOY
Big Rig Builder
 
REPBOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-06-13
Location: DEARBORN, MI
Posts: 189
iTrader: (1)
Best differential for off road/daily driver?

As of right now I have a stock open diff dana 60 in the rear and a stock open diff dana 44 in the front of my dodge (4.10 gear ratio). I use this truck as my daily driver but also do alot of offroading (mostly mudding in ruts and pits). So my question is how much would it cost me to convert to limited slip differentials and how hard is the job? Working with limited funds so is this even realistic for me?
REPBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 04:08 PM   #2
87mopar
Web Wheeler :(
 
87mopar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-08-08
Location: Lansing
Posts: 1,656
iTrader: (10)
Get a spartan locker for 400.00 and put it in the front first. That will help you the most.
__________________
"Insert Comedic and or ego boosting quote questioning another members sexual orientation here"
http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/imageho...60bd7ea6d9.gif
87mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 04:14 PM   #3
REPBOY
Big Rig Builder
 
REPBOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-06-13
Location: DEARBORN, MI
Posts: 189
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87mopar View Post
Get a spartan locker for 400.00 and put it in the front first. That will help you the most.
The thing is, the ram is my dd too so I dont wanna be spendin an arm and a leg on big mud tires just to wear them out while turning corners on cement...
REPBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 04:17 PM   #4
87mopar
Web Wheeler :(
 
87mopar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-08-08
Location: Lansing
Posts: 1,656
iTrader: (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by REPBOY View Post
The thing is, the ram is my dd too so I dont wanna be spendin an arm and a leg on big mud tires just to wear them out while turning corners on cement...
Im not 100% sure but is your axle vacuum actuated? a torsional locker should release as long as there is not force being applied to that axle; plus if its vacuum actuated the two tires wouldn't be connected anyways.
__________________
"Insert Comedic and or ego boosting quote questioning another members sexual orientation here"
http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/imageho...60bd7ea6d9.gif
87mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 04:47 PM   #5
kkodet
Formerly Route55
 
kkodet's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-21-07
Location: Marine City, Michigan
Posts: 4,088
iTrader: (47)
A front locker will only engage when in 4x4 so no worries.
kkodet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 05:29 PM   #6
bdd1469
bdd
 
bdd1469's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-12-10
Location: alto mi
Posts: 2,063
iTrader: (1)
Send a message via Yahoo to bdd1469
If it is a dd I would put a trutrac in the front and rear. You also cant go wrong with a detroit locker for the rear if you have the money. You might even find a used one.
bdd1469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 07:24 PM   #7
REPBOY
Big Rig Builder
 
REPBOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-06-13
Location: DEARBORN, MI
Posts: 189
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87mopar View Post
Im not 100% sure but is your axle vacuum actuated? a torsional locker should release as long as there is not force being applied to that axle; plus if its vacuum actuated the two tires wouldn't be connected anyways.
Yes my front axle is vacuum actuated. I actually just replaced the whole vacuum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route55 View Post
A front locker will only engage when in 4x4 so no worries.
Oh yeah... lol didnt think about that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdd1469 View Post
If it is a dd I would put a trutrac in the front and rear. You also cant go wrong with a detroit locker for the rear if you have the money. You might even find a used one.
I would definately go with a detroit if I had the money but I had to stop working about 2 months ago because I snapped my right ankle and had to have surgery on it... Havent even been able to drive my monster since then!
REPBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2013, 03:27 PM   #8
cerial
Senior Member
 
cerial's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-06-08
Location: Caledonia,MI
Posts: 1,667
iTrader: (3)
Just buy a complete axle with locker. They are out there if your patient enough.

http://toledo.craigslist.org/pts/3763176315.html
cerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2013, 04:04 PM   #9
REPBOY
Big Rig Builder
 
REPBOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-06-13
Location: DEARBORN, MI
Posts: 189
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerial View Post
Just buy a complete axle with locker. They are out there if your patient enough.

http://toledo.craigslist.org/pts/3763176315.html
99 dana 80 drw 10 bolt hubs with rims,and tires, 5.13 gears, detroit locker, and 42 spline axle shafts. Came off 99 chevy 1 ton truck. Axel is in very good condition. Call 419-five 7 two- zero zero six four Doug

Thanks for the help, but a Dana 80 is too heavy for my application, and 5.13 gears would never work for a daily driver, although the 42 spline axle shafts would be great!... Thanks for keepin an eye out and let me know if you come across anything else... Thanks again!
REPBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2013, 04:42 PM   #10
cerial
Senior Member
 
cerial's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-06-08
Location: Caledonia,MI
Posts: 1,667
iTrader: (3)
That was simply a example.

I just bought a clean low mileage explorer 8.8, shortened, 31 spline shafts auburn locker, ford racing gears, new calipers, breaks, and lines for $700.

I would be hard pressed to get a junk yard 8.8, and the locker let alone install it for that price.

I have never needed to set up a diff yet. There is always a axle out there that fits your needs if you wait for it. Hell toss something in the wanted section or watch the part outs. A dodge with a detroit and 4.10 ratios seems like a popular combination.
cerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2013, 04:50 PM   #11
REPBOY
Big Rig Builder
 
REPBOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-06-13
Location: DEARBORN, MI
Posts: 189
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerial View Post
That was simply a example.

I just bought a clean low mileage explorer 8.8, shortened, 31 spline shafts auburn locker, ford racing gears, new calipers, breaks, and lines for $700.

I would be hard pressed to get a junk yard 8.8, and the locker let alone install it for that price.

I have never needed to set up a diff yet. There is always a axle out there that fits your needs if you wait for it. Hell toss something in the wanted section or watch the part outs. A dodge with a detroit and 4.10 ratios seems like a popular combination.
Very true.... I actually am not in the market any more since my trans started acting up... I priced out a rebuild for its A518 trans and the cheapest I could find was 1250 pulled and installed. Ive heard that the price is too low because you wouldn't be able to rebuild the whole trans for that price?? Any experience with this?
REPBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > General Tech
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.13116 seconds with 32 queries