fat guy no more! - Page 34 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 10th, 2014, 08:22 AM   #661
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 21,048
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by feva4u View Post
Life is short, even shorter if you don't do anything with it. Diets are fine but enjoy life. If you need to take a fat day or two a month, go for it. As long as you stick to your long term plan, you're just doing it your own way. We're all only one car accident/misfortune away from diets no longer mattering so make the most of it.
Although I agree with this 100%, being a glutton doesn't offset the ability to be mobile. I can say for certain, that since I have lost 30 pounds, I feel better than I have in 20 years.
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old March 10th, 2014, 08:23 AM   #662
Lousypirate
Yo
 
Lousypirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-11-08
Location: Marne 49435
Posts: 10,942
iTrader: (31)
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Default

I put five pounds back on over the last week, primarily to being sick.

Hoping to sweat my ass off this afternoon working on my driveway and in the garage. I like this sunset at 8 deal.
__________________
2003 gmc 1500hd quadrasteer "Miley"
2000 jeep cherokee "Herman"
1977 Ranger 150a bass boat
1987 Yamaha Moto 4 quad
Lousypirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 08:38 AM   #663
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,934
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8PTBUCK View Post
I know my calories burned are lower than the intake from the beer.

I am going to try and work up the running. I haven't been this physical since my last job. It will take me a couple weeks to get up to the running pace. The fact that it's getting warmer out will give me motivation to get out and run around the neighborhood.

Along with that, my diet is getting much better. More organics and more fiber. Portions are getting smaller as my appetite is slowly shrinking. My workout isn't crazy so I feel with the calories I intake daily, what I burn when I walk at night is probably just enough to not over do it.

Going to possibly up the calorie intake and start doing more ab and arm workouts. Trying to get toned for the Dominican Republic in November
You've mentioned in the past you don't have a lot of time to dedicate to the gym. Intervals will allow you to burn more calories in less time than your current work out.

As an example I would guess walking pace is somewhere around a 12-15 minute mile. 2 miles = 30 minutes on the treadmill.

I can now do 2 miles of interval work on the treadmill in about 13 minutes. My heart rate is about 190 BPM during those 13 minutes and I burn more calories during my work out and long after.

Just trying to suggest a way for you to save some time and get better results.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 08:41 AM   #664
BlooMule
pew pew
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 24,701
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
you are not burning more calories dancing then the beers your drinking giving you the courage to dance.

2 miles on the treadmill is good, but instead of walking do some intervals running, you'll burn many more calories and burn much more fat
I know you were responding to 8pt, but as a side note- if you are 50lbs overweight, running is really rough on the knees.

Personally, I would rather walk outside than on a treadmill, one reason being that treadmills trip me up, my pace is not constant. I tend to favor my left leg ever since I was hit by a car 30 years ago.

What really worked for me was when my son was in wrestling, I would join him in the workouts. Those wrestling mats kept the shock load off my joints pretty well.

Joined another gym, I have (had?) a lifetime membership at Fitness USA, but they have all closed in Michigan. Oddly enough, that's about when the weight started coming back....
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 08:49 AM   #665
8PTBUCK
Hobo Joe and the TCG
 
8PTBUCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-02-09
Location: Waterford/Gladwin, MI
Posts: 5,438
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
You've mentioned in the past you don't have a lot of time to dedicate to the gym. Intervals will allow you to burn more calories in less time than your current work out.

As an example I would guess walking pace is somewhere around a 12-15 minute mile. 2 miles = 30 minutes on the treadmill.

I can now do 2 miles of interval work on the treadmill in about 13 minutes. My heart rate is about 190 BPM during those 13 minutes and I burn more calories during my work out and long after.

Just trying to suggest a way for you to save some time and get better results.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

That does make sense about intervals. With school and work, It's hard to find time. Class until 9pm three nights a week. I still come home though and workout. I know if I stop, then I won't have that drive to push myself to keep going.

My pace right now is 20 minutes a mile, but that's just walking Lol. I walk at a full incline though. Don't know if that has anything to do with anything My heart rate is about 190-191 BPM during the whole workout, or at least after the first half mile.

I'm going to continue to do my 2 mile walk every night for about another week, then next week if the weather is till decent (above 37) I will get out and run.

For abs, I have been thinking about doing these (for beginner) to start.
http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/best-abs-workout-ever

As far as arms, I usually just do push ups.

Edit: I am really just starting off small and working my way up. I have somewhat of a bad back after loading a truck on my trailer last summer, so taking it small right now is best for me. Oddly enough, my back doesn't seem to bother me when I work out or even after. I just don't want to take any chances.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbrattt View Post
I was teasing him cuz mines bigger and louder
@Immortal <-- It didn't work
8PTBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 09:04 AM   #666
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,934
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8PTBUCK View Post
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

That does make sense about intervals. With school and work, It's hard to find time. Class until 9pm three nights a week. I still come home though and workout. I know if I stop, then I won't have that drive to push myself to keep going.

My pace right now is 20 minutes a mile, but that's just walking Lol. I walk at a full incline though. Don't know if that has anything to do with anything My heart rate is about 190-191 BPM during the whole workout, or at least after the first half mile.

I'm going to continue to do my 2 mile walk every night for about another week, then next week if the weather is till decent (above 37) I will get out and run.

For abs, I have been thinking about doing these (for beginner) to start.
http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/best-abs-workout-ever

As far as arms, I usually just do push ups.

Edit: I am really just starting off small and working my way up. I have somewhat of a bad back after loading a truck on my trailer last summer, so taking it small right now is best for me. Oddly enough, my back doesn't seem to bother me when I work out or even after. I just don't want to take any chances.
You don't have to run to do intervals, or at least you don't have to run fast or the whole time.

Try this.

"run" at 5 MPH for 30 seconds, "recover" at 2.5 mph for 2 minutes.

The recovery is slower than your current pace, but the 5 mph is faster. Increase speed as often as you can, also increase the duration of your run as often as you can. Also vary the incline, but yes, walking on an incline makes it harder than just walking on a flat treadmill.

When you think of "workouts" that are beneficial for burning calories and overall body strenth think of what are called compound movements (2 joints or more moving at once, squat, push up, deadlift, shoulder press, pull ups, etc) NOT isolation movements (bicep curls, tricep extensions, pec deck/fly's, lateral raises, etc.)

Planks, mountain climbers, side planks, all a great start

your back probably feels better when you work out because you are strengthening muscles to support your body taking stress off your spine, you're also stretching those muscles so they help align your spine better.

I have very bad lower back problems, the more i stretch, work out, and build strength in my core (planks, mountain climbers and others) the better it feels.

You're on the right path, you're looking into some good options
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 09:19 AM   #667
8PTBUCK
Hobo Joe and the TCG
 
8PTBUCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-02-09
Location: Waterford/Gladwin, MI
Posts: 5,438
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
You don't have to run to do intervals, or at least you don't have to run fast or the whole time.

Try this.

"run" at 5 MPH for 30 seconds, "recover" at 2.5 mph for 2 minutes.

The recovery is slower than your current pace, but the 5 mph is faster. Increase speed as often as you can, also increase the duration of your run as often as you can. Also vary the incline, but yes, walking on an incline makes it harder than just walking on a flat treadmill.

When you think of "workouts" that are beneficial for burning calories and overall body strenth think of what are called compound movements (2 joints or more moving at once, squat, push up, deadlift, shoulder press, pull ups, etc) NOT isolation movements (bicep curls, tricep extensions, pec deck/fly's, lateral raises, etc.)

Planks, mountain climbers, side planks, all a great start

your back probably feels better when you work out because you are strengthening muscles to support your body taking stress off your spine, you're also stretching those muscles so they help align your spine better.

I have very bad lower back problems, the more i stretch, work out, and build strength in my core (planks, mountain climbers and others) the better it feels.

You're on the right path, you're looking into some good options
A ton of great info

I understand now what you mean by intervals. I think I would be able to do that. Just maintain that pace for 2 miles, then increase the run time while decreasing the recovery time... over time as my stamina will allow it. Simply enough.

I will look into more compound exercises and see what will work best for me. I would much rather work more joints during each exercise because I feel that would be much more beneficial. When you say stay away from things like bicep curls, are you talking about like a normal sit up or crunch?

Yea I noticed that when I wasn't working out, I would get sharp pains and discomfort in my lower back and sometimes a spot in my upper back. Since I have been walking and working my upper body, I haven't had any problems. If exercising is what it takes to keep the discomfort from returning, then that is enough motivation for me
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbrattt View Post
I was teasing him cuz mines bigger and louder
@Immortal <-- It didn't work
8PTBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 09:23 AM   #668
Sol Goode
Obama Nation!
 
Sol Goode's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Curt1656 & Scooters love castle
Posts: 14,387
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default

Kickstand is saying limit the isolation exercise (i.e. curls / tricep ext, etc...)
Rather doing pull ups will also hit the bicep.
Bench will hit the tricep

Great complex exercises: Dead lifts, bench, snatch, squats, lunges, pull ups

That being said....I work in an arm day at least every 10 days because I am vain as fukc . I just combine that with core and heavy cardio.
__________________
#YOLO
#meballsohard
Sol Goode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 09:29 AM   #669
8PTBUCK
Hobo Joe and the TCG
 
8PTBUCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-02-09
Location: Waterford/Gladwin, MI
Posts: 5,438
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Default

I don't have all the necessary equipment to perform most of those complex exercises, but I believe I can use the gym at school for free. I will have to check that out.

Friends don't let friends miss leg day?
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbrattt View Post
I was teasing him cuz mines bigger and louder
@Immortal <-- It didn't work
8PTBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 09:41 AM   #670
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,934
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Goode View Post
Kickstand is saying limit the isolation exercise (i.e. curls / tricep ext, etc...)
Rather doing pull ups will also hit the bicep.
Bench will hit the tricep

Great complex exercises: Dead lifts, bench, snatch, squats, lunges, pull ups

That being said....I work in an arm day at least every 10 days because I am vain as fukc . I just combine that with core and heavy cardio.
bicep curls as sol goodie two shoes pointed out are an isolation exercise for your upper arm (the bicep, google it ) It won't help for weight loss much, nor will it really increase overall strength/conditioning.

Like sol says, the pull up will work the upper back, outter back, shoulders, and biceps, forearms, etc. The more muscle you stimulate with each exercise the more calories you will burn and the less time you'll waste doing useless shit in the gym.

Push-ups (i think more beneficial for overall strength than bench press, but essentially same movement) will hit shoulders (slightly different than the pull ups do) triceps, chest, some of the lats (outer back muscle), etc.

Squats will hit the calves, quads, hamstrings, glutes, lower back muscles, spine stabilizer muscles, etc.

The compound movements hit the major muscle groups and still recruit some help from the smaller muscle groups and ALL of the stabilizer muscles (the ones that keep you standing, balancing, walking on uneven ground, etc)


Isolation exercises are for body builders who are being judged on a specific body part they need to get on par with the rest of their physique to win a competition. Until your % body fat is below 20% they are useless. (in my opinion).

isolation exercises will also help make the compound movements stronger, important for a powerlifter who is trying to increase only his deadlift, squat or bench press.

I have always been self concious about how scrawny my biceps are at the beach for the ladies, so like Sol goode I do bicep curls every now and again, but looking at my arms you would never know it

Anywho, the point I am getting at is the total body compound movements are better for overall body functionality for every day life, sport, and calorie burning than the isolation stuff that you see far too many people doing at the gym.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 09:44 AM   #671
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,934
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8PTBUCK View Post
I don't have all the necessary equipment to perform most of those complex exercises, but I believe I can use the gym at school for free. I will have to check that out.

Friends don't let friends miss leg day?
I am 100% against the use of "complex equipment".

You do not need it.

You need a bar, a few dumb bells, and your own body weight.

Keep walking on the treadmill.

Do body weight exercises, planks, pushups, pull ups (you'll need a bar or a tree branch or a rafter in your garage), squats, lunges, burpees, etc. Google them if you are unsure, tons of videos to show these exercises.

The only equipment you "REALLY" need is a barbell and some weights if you want to add resistance beyond your body weight.

In my vision friends don't let friends skip leg day, or core day, or bodyweight exercise day.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 09:47 AM   #672
Lousypirate
Yo
 
Lousypirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-11-08
Location: Marne 49435
Posts: 10,942
iTrader: (31)
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Default

what's the difference between an exercise bike and treadmill, excercise... wise? like percentage. My ankle hurts after running, but I can bike longer, and I used to do that while using a dumbell to do something with my arms while jamming out to music.

I always turned the resistance to as much as I could stand once i got it going.
__________________
2003 gmc 1500hd quadrasteer "Miley"
2000 jeep cherokee "Herman"
1977 Ranger 150a bass boat
1987 Yamaha Moto 4 quad
Lousypirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 09:52 AM   #673
Sol Goode
Obama Nation!
 
Sol Goode's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Curt1656 & Scooters love castle
Posts: 14,387
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousypirate View Post
what's the difference between an exercise bike and treadmill, excercise... wise? like percentage. My ankle hurts after running, but I can bike longer, and I used to do that while using a dumbell to do something with my arms while jamming out to music.

I always turned the resistance to as much as I could stand once i got it going.
calories, calories, calories.....

I burn more calories running than I do on the bike or elliptical.
That being said....heavy people usually do the bike first to lose weight. Once then drop some pounds they their joints can take the running/jogging.

I prefer the stair stepper to really hit the cardio...but the ones where the stairs actually move. Or get out and actually do stairs.
__________________
#YOLO
#meballsohard
Sol Goode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 10:00 AM   #674
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,934
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Goode View Post
calories, calories, calories.....

I burn more calories running than I do on the bike or elliptical.
That being said....heavy people usually do the bike first to lose weight. Once then drop some pounds they their joints can take the running/jogging.

I prefer the stair stepper to really hit the cardio...but the ones where the stairs actually move. Or get out and actually do stairs.
This.

At first, for most who have a fair amount to lose, anything is better than nothing. Your body will adapt, you'll burn calories faster on some things than on others, you may enjoy one thing more than anohter (so you'll stick with it more likely).

Whatever you can stick with and will work for you continue doing. MOVE. Just move.

Less treadmills, less stationary bikes, less stair steppers, etc. More real walks/runs, more real bike rides, more real stairs.....

You can over analzye the shit out of it. Watch calories, exercise. Lose weight. Switch it up if you get bored or hit a plateau. You can't out exercise a shitty diet.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 10:07 AM   #675
FORD FLARESIDE
Someday, yeah Someday
 
FORD FLARESIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-09-06
Location: Comstock Park
Posts: 21,474
iTrader: (23)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

I dropped my first 60 lbs, without exercise and just lifestyle and diet change. No sugars, and very few carbs. (I was told not to shop for food in the isles of Meijer, only the stuff in the bulk area). Another big key was going to bed at 10pm instead of 1am and getting a full nights sleep.

After I got down to a tolerable weight, my trainer put me on an exercise program with just using my own body weight. I'm not dropping weight as fast now but wow am I getting strong, and my balance is back.

Like Kickstand said, you don't need the fancy equipment. Squats, pushups, wall squats, lunges, jumping jacks, skipping rope............that's where it is at for me.
FORD FLARESIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2014, 07:56 PM   #676
concreteguy82
Yeah Buddy!!
 
concreteguy82's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-01-11
Location: Clio, Michigan
Posts: 2,889
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

concreteguy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2014, 03:15 PM   #677
8PTBUCK
Hobo Joe and the TCG
 
8PTBUCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-02-09
Location: Waterford/Gladwin, MI
Posts: 5,438
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Default

Fawk expensive equipment cause I'd rather have go fast parts. I'm really thinking about p90x! I love that it really works everything, and the results are rather quick due to muscle confusion. Not that i need quick results. I just wish i had the room to do all the moving around that the workouts require. Hmmm...
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbrattt View Post
I was teasing him cuz mines bigger and louder
@Immortal <-- It didn't work
8PTBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 07:47 PM   #678
dragginwagon406
Adrenaline Junkie
 
dragginwagon406's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-06-07
Location: Perrysburg, OH
Posts: 1,192
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

First time under 270 in a long time (more than 7 years anyhow).

Been watching the calories still on Myfitnespal and doing tons of push-ups, dips between chairs, crunches, leg lifts, squats (body weight) and dumbell curl/presses.

Can't wait to see if I can finally bench 300 (once I finally get back into a weight room).
dragginwagon406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 09:07 PM   #679
ZJeepMI
Senior Member
 
ZJeepMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-25-08
Location: Plymouth, MI
Posts: 474
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Weighed in at 189 a couple days ago. I've hit my goal weight, but set another goal at 180. Still have some some stomach fat i'd like to get rid of. I'm down 39 pounds total. Still staying steady with my eating habits, I can't see myself ever going back to junk food. I also seemed to have developed some type of lactose intolerance since my diet change, being that I rarely ever eat cheese/milk any more. When I do now I feel absolutely terrible, bad stomach aches.

I'm also excited that cycling/running season is here and that will help me reach my goal. I picked up a '13 Specialized Crux cross bike a while back that I put 10 miles on last weekend, and I can tell that i'm really going to enjoy riding this year. Can't wait for some 30+ mile rides this year, it's much easier without a huge gut hanging down
ZJeepMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 09:13 PM   #680
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,934
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJeepMI View Post
Weighed in at 189 a couple days ago. I've hit my goal weight, but set another goal at 180. Still have some some stomach fat i'd like to get rid of. I'm down 39 pounds total. Still staying steady with my eating habits, I can't see myself ever going back to junk food. I also seemed to have developed some type of lactose intolerance since my diet change, being that I rarely ever eat cheese/milk any more. When I do now I feel absolutely terrible, bad stomach aches.

I'm also excited that cycling/running season is here and that will help me reach my goal. I picked up a '13 Specialized Crux cross bike a while back that I put 10 miles on last weekend, and I can tell that i'm really going to enjoy riding this year. Can't wait for some 30+ mile rides this year, it's much easier without a huge gut hanging down
Nice work.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
Tags
meballs, nomorefatguy

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.50952 seconds with 81 queries